ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th May 2019, 02:49 PM   #481
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by dann View Post
When and where did I claim that I couldn't be charged with anything?
I said that I didn't care if it was illegal or not.

You said it wasn't an act of violence

What do you think they would charge you with?

Assaulting a police officer?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 03:37 PM   #482
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I offer a challenge to you!
I offer a challenge to both of you!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 04:51 PM   #483
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Seriously?! Man, I thought all the snowflakes had thawed by now:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I AGREE

I AGREE

I AGREE

I AGREE
List them. I’d rather read than watch TV.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 04:56 PM   #484
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
You said it wasn't an act of violence

What do you think they would charge you with?

Assaulting a police officer?
Actually it would be battery on a police officer, you know, if hitting people with eggs wasn’t just a harmless prank.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 05:12 PM   #485
IsThisTheLife
Thinker

Hello!

I personally know someone who was knocked out by a raw egg (outside his school, age sixteen). It caught him in the middle of his forehead and (presumably) must have impacted with its 'pointy end', where they're actually very rigid.

Whatever, I'm surprised at the rather elastic (and self-serving?) definitions that some posters here have of 'nazi' and 'assault'.

Last edited by IsThisTheLife; 5th May 2019 at 05:13 PM.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 05:32 PM   #486
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Hello!

I personally know someone who was knocked out by a raw egg (outside his school, age sixteen). It caught him in the middle of his forehead and (presumably) must have impacted with its 'pointy end', where they're actually very rigid.

Whatever, I'm surprised at the rather elastic (and self-serving?) definitions that some posters here have of 'nazi' and 'assault'.
You get used to it.

And welcome aboard!
Old 5th May 2019, 05:33 PM   #487
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Hello!

Welcome. Why not pitch in with your own non self serving definitions?
Old 5th May 2019, 05:41 PM   #488
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
DON'T DO IT! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!
Old 5th May 2019, 07:23 PM   #489
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

The risk/reward scorecard for assaulting nazis (not limited to egging) is out of whack.

REWARDS
Tangible
Visceral pleasure of sticking it to a nazi
Stops the nazi from what they're doing at that moment
Debatable
Stops the nazi long term
Deters other nazis

RISKS
Tangible
Normalizes political violence
Violent retaliation
Imperfect targeting -- innocent parties assaulted in chaotic situations
Debatable
Encourages other nazis

It's not even close, unless you're confident these assaults deter other nazis. I don't see how one gains such confidence.

I suspect other posters will think of risks/rewards that don't occur to me.
Old 5th May 2019, 11:15 PM   #490
dann
Philosopher

Hello!

Welcome to the forum.
You will have to get used to objections to claims that sound like urban myths if all you have is anecdotal evidence (Wikipedia):
"I personally know someone who ..."

Quote:
The teller of an urban legend may claim it happened to a friend (or to a friend of a friend), which serves to personalize, authenticate and enhance the power of the narrative while distancing the teller.
(...)
Urban legends typically include common elements: the legend is retold on behalf of the original witness or participant; dire warnings are often given for those who might not heed the advice or lesson contained therein (this forms a typical element of many e-mail phishing scams); and the tale is often touted as "something a friend told me", while the friend is identified by first name only or not identified at all.
Urban legend: Propagation and belief (Wikipedia)

Do you know the experiment where you place an egg between your hands and press at both ends? It's supposed to prove that you can't break an eggs that way. If you try, I recommend a big bowl underneath for the omelette you'll be making afterwards.

In this case, all I could find was this:

I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 11:36 PM   #491
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I offer a challenge to both of you!

I AGREE

Are you crazy?! That is a breach of the M.A. 1. and 3.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 12:54 AM   #492
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I personally know of two tragic cases of egg attacks dann et al refuse to admit are violence.

One a truck driver who had an egg biffed at his head. Hit him on the forehead and the mixture temporarily blinded him, affecting his driving. The truck swerved through a fence and onto a runway in the path of a landing 767. The plane had to try to swerve, but flipped and 231 passengers and the truckie were were unfortunately all killed in horror.

The other was a soldier who ran nuclear weapon launches in Nevada

His colleague egged him for a joke and during the ensuing confusion he accidently launched a missile at a small village near Scunthorpe in the UK.

The UK and US govt covered it up so you may not have heard of it. 12,567 dead all because of what dann calls "justice"

Some of the above might be slightly made up
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 01:04 AM   #493
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I think Nazis should be beaten; with a whisk, in a large bowl with some milk and flour, then cooked on a griddle and served with a side of fava beans, and a nice Chianti.
Old 6th May 2019, 02:02 AM   #494
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I think Nazis should be beaten; with a whisk, in a large bowl with some milk and flour, then cooked on a griddle and served with a side of fava beans, and a nice Chianti.
I believe if you reverse the ratio of eggs vs flour, the resulting mixture should more closely qualify to be called batter-y.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 02:07 AM   #495
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
And never forget to season

Suzie salt and Percy pepper are always your friend

Old 6th May 2019, 04:25 AM   #496
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Assault is assault is assault. Which is to say, while we may recognize that different degrees of assault may merit different degrees of consequence, it does not mean that any degree of assault should be tolerated. A man who beaned an egg at his wife because she burned the roast would be guilty of domestic violence. People who commit domestic violence should not get a free pass. Neither should people who commit political violence. But as we see repeatedly on this forum, there are plenty of people who think that political violence is okay, as long as it's their politics that are committing the violence.
Sadly true.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 04:30 AM   #497
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
There's a line in there between the all-talk poser and the mass killer. It's a very broad line. This guy in the OP looks solidly on the all-talk side of it. I don't equate this type with mass murderers. Wearing some cheap bling from Amazon does not a monster make.
Yes that is why the recent mass shootings shouldn't be considered mass killings by white supremacists. White supremacists are harmless by definition so clearly these were not them.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 04:31 AM   #498
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
No - nobody is "intimidated" by being hit with an egg, nor are they intended to be. The point is humiliation.
There's a significant overlap between the two.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 04:57 AM   #499
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

All the egging vids were essentially sucker punching...er, sucker egging. Blindsided. Which is okay in context I guess. No need to slap a glove to the face.

I guess what ultimately worries me is: what happens when the first young guy who thinks these egg vids are super cool tries it on the wrong guy. We can all see how bad that could go. So should we be cheering it now, or saying 'yeah, it was funny, but come on, guys'?
How can it be the wrong guy when all white supremacists are by your definition harmless hateful teddy bears?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 04:59 AM   #500
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yes, as long as the hand wringing stays shifted over to the well being of the egger, we are good. The Nazis can run the gauntlet of the law if they choose to respond with disproportionate force.
Why would they expect to? The cops work so closely with them of course they are safe in that case.
Old 6th May 2019, 05:04 AM   #501
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

This is exactly what I have been saying. Actual, gassing, genocidal nazis are pretty rare. White power punks who adopt a swastika are pretty common. But I think a lot of posters are wrongly associating the former with the latter.
Exactly they are just the harmless youth going out an curb stomping blacks and queers. Nothing wrong or violent about that.
Old 6th May 2019, 05:08 AM   #502
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Actually I am. I simply understand that silencing and dehumanizing people doesn't work, and only makes the situation worse.

I mean look at how that affected you. Do you think doing it back will make them feel different? Or will it do the same thing it did to you, make you angry, make you organize and make you fight.

The only way to deny that outcome is to convince yourself they are not human, and therein won't have your same reaction. Which you are doing by steps.

Personally I prefer hearing the word ****** over organized gangs of pissed off white supremacists, but hey I'm funny like that.
But all gangs of white supremacists are angry that is the whole point of white supremacy. But advocating violence never hurt anyone, that is why we need to silence any advocation of violence against these harmless white supremacists who only want to cleanse the country of the untermensch.
Old 6th May 2019, 05:09 AM   #503
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Just to update everyone:
I have been reading all the various efforts of de-radicalization and so far I have not found any techniques which include abuse, and certainly none that mention egg throwing. The Germans seem to have an interesting program where they don't really tackle the extremist views, but focus on job and career programs in order to address underlying socio-economic factors of radicalization.

Would anyone advocating assault as an effective method of combating radicalization care to share successful programs with such practices?
Of course the guy who got egged would being going to prison for his swastikas there as well.
Old 6th May 2019, 05:11 AM   #504
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

You think the guy in the OP was a gassing murderer? Seemed more like just a pretentious gasbag to me.

Real Nazis = real problems

BS gasbag = BS problem
And of course how do you know which he is before he shoots up a place of worship/school? Or is that more BS gasbagging?
Old 6th May 2019, 05:15 AM   #505
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Your constant harping on this "No True Nazi" nonsense would actually be laughable at this point, if it wasn't a tactic straight out of the Daily Stormer propaganda guide.

Since you're stuck on this "the only Nazis were card-carrying party members in post-Weimar Germany," please to be explaining how many of those were actively and knowingly involved in "gassing" Jews and other "undesirables". I'll wait.

By your standard, there have only ever been a few hundred Nazis, ever, regardless of how many proudly wore the label and promoted the ideology.
Hey lots of nazis were regarded as harmless blowhards back in the day too. See this New York Times article.

https://www.nytimes.com/1922/11/21/a...ited-with.html
Old 6th May 2019, 05:16 AM   #506
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
We go through this every time! Can we (the pro-eggers) agree that it's at least "Assault Light"?

My contention on civil disobedience applies here. You do the crime, be prepared to do the time. When we were out disrupting traffic and trying to block entry to Fort Dix, the draft board, ROTC or whatnot, we were all prepared to get busted. If it's important to you, you put your body on the line (to be overly dramatic).

Egg-throwers tend to wind up getting the crap beat out of them in larger groups of Nazis. The not-so-gentle hand of the NYPD or federal marshalls is far preferable to a group-stomping by angry right wingers, believe me!
But there is often no difference of course.
Old 6th May 2019, 05:19 AM   #507
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Well no

He is obviously an idiot who has a fixation with Nazism and waves flags around and says he is a Nazi.

I meant that people are starting to say anyone who voted for the wrong person in the US are now being labelled Nazi's. Or at the very least far right racists.

It is pathetic
Yea that is as crazy as thinking @whitegenocide(tm) is a racist instead of a reliable source of information. Nothing racist about viewing him as a highly respected source of information.
Old 6th May 2019, 05:19 AM   #508
IsThisTheLife
Thinker

You get used to it.
Well, I've actually lurked here a while (gained some weight on from all the popcorn), so I know what you mean. I have to confess that part of the reason for joining was so I could use <ignore> - already has a few names on it, I'm afraid to say.

Quote:
And welcome aboard!
Salut.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 05:26 AM   #509
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

They are all schrodingers Nazi, as Chris Cantwell typifies. Sure he is happy to be violent and assault people as if he was really a nazi, but then cries on the internet about being persecuted for merely beating people so clearly just a blowhard and not a true nazi.

See they are clearly only real nazis when they are actively engaged in violence. After the christchurch shooting the shooter went right back to being an internet troll and blowhard with his OK symbols. Totally harmless then.
Old 6th May 2019, 05:27 AM   #510
Belz...
Fiend God

Salut.
Ouais, salut!

Old 6th May 2019, 07:07 AM   #511
IsThisTheLife
Thinker

DON'T DO IT! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!
LoL.
Old 6th May 2019, 07:11 AM   #512
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Agreed, for actual, real Nazis. For edgy posers, not so much.

You know what, no. Sorry, but this is utter BS.

I personally have no problem with a bunch of edgelord pseudo-Nazis getting swept up with the "real" Nazis.

Everyone in this culture knows, or should know if they're not idiots living under rocks, what a Nazi is and what being a Nazi means. Certainly the edgelords playing at Nazis do, otherwise they would find someone else to emulate to prove how edgy they are. And ultimately that doesn't bloody well matter. It's not my responsibility to split hairs deciding who is a "real" Nazi, and who is a LARPing edgelord, because the end result is the same in either case -- more promotion of the Nazi worldview.

And in case you haven't forgotten, these "fake Nazi edgelords" have murdered dozens of people in the US and elsewhere in the last few years. How many more people do they need to kill before you'll take them seriously and stop spewing white nationalist propaganda in your insistence that we should ignore them?

Nope, it doesn't work that way. If you're going to going around wearing the symbols and spewing the propaganda and playing at being a Nazi, it doesn't matter if you really believe what you're saying or if you're just doing it to shock and troll people. If you're going to act like a Nazi, you don't get to whine when you get treated like a Nazi, and get swept up with the "real" Nazis. Maybe you should re-evaluate what you are doing with your life, and stop associating yourself with the worst people in human history. Just sayin'.

Last edited by luchog; 6th May 2019 at 07:21 AM.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 07:15 AM   #513
IsThisTheLife
Thinker

I don't have my own, I use the conventional ones. Hence a person is NOT a 'nazi' simply because they oppose radical changes in law proposed by liberals/progressives, and 'assault' is pretty much a matter of law, and DOES include throwing eggs at people.
Old 6th May 2019, 07:17 AM   #514
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

This is not a Nazi chicWP revival as along with any aesthetic we have a a wave of emboldened white supremacy and race/non Christian hate.
Old 6th May 2019, 07:21 AM   #515
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I don't have my own, I use the conventional ones. Hence a person is NOT a 'nazi' simply because they oppose radical changes in law proposed by liberals/progressives, and 'assault' is pretty much a matter of law, and DOES include throwing eggs at people.
Do you think the man wearing the swastika and waving the Nazi flag is sympathetic with your opposition to these unspecified changes in law proposed by liberals/progressives? What are some examples of these changes in law?
Old 6th May 2019, 07:23 AM   #516
IsThisTheLife
Thinker

That <ignore> list is going to keep growing for a while.
Old 6th May 2019, 07:26 AM   #517
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

That <ignore> list is going to keep growing for a while.
How about you discuss the topic and quit the posturing?
Old 6th May 2019, 07:30 AM   #518
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And of course how do you know which he is before he shoots up a place of worship/school? Or is that more BS gasbagging?

Yes. Even the German Nazi Nazis weren't really Nazis until the Kristallnacht (Wikipedia) in 1938. After that, egging would have been justified (but not in accordance with German law, of course) if you carefully avoided hitting them in the face.
Old 6th May 2019, 07:34 AM   #519
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Yes. Even the German Nazi Nazis weren't really Nazis until the Kristallnacht (Wikipedia) in 1938. After that, egging would have been justified (but not in accordance with German law, of course) if you carefully avoided hitting them in the face.
Look, even when we wind back the Nazi label to merely a description of persons displaying Nazi symbols in the context of white supremist sentiment we have a very bad situation going on. To ignore this and split hairs is not useful.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 6th May 2019 at 07:36 AM.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 07:36 AM   #520
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Perhaps you wanting to be a pendant has got you to a place you might not want to be because you have just argued yourself into saying that throwing confetti at someone at a wedding is an act of violence.....

In nearly all jurisdictions in the US, verbally berating someone is an act of violence. Yet most people seem to be okay with that sort of violence.

Too many people are hung up on this black and white view of "violence", and seem to be unwilling to consider that there are degrees of violence, and that all acts of violence are most emphatically not equal.

Spitting on someone is an act of violence. Shooting someone in the head with a shotgun is an act of violence. Attempting to equate the two is morally and intellectually bankrupt and beyond stupid, at best.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events