ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd May 2019, 02:19 PM   #1921
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
@Femi_Sorry (cold drink) and Ed Miliband (egg) are on the left. They both took the non harmful protests in their stride.
And If it became an organized campaign to disrupt and prevent them from canvassing? Would they still have just sucked it up?

Seriously, this is not a good road for a diverse functional democracy to go down.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 02:28 PM   #1922
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Yes, exactly.

We are seeing the psychological triumph of factionalism over universalism.
It boils down to "Free Speech For Me, But Not For Thee".
It will go from "White Nationalists " to "Reactionaries" to "Anybody who does not support the glorious People's Government".
Note how they hand wave away the "Slippery Slope" idea.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 02:29 PM   #1923
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And If it became an organized campaign to disrupt and prevent them from canvassing? Would they still have just sucked it up?

Seriously, this is not a good road for a diverse functional democracy to go down.
Sad fact is the militant wings of both major US parties have pretty much thrown the idea of a diverse democracy out the window. Ideology over all.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 02:34 PM   #1924
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

No it's not, but I still draw an important distinction between activities that are or aren't intended to cause actual physical harm which is the point I've been making.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 02:35 PM   #1925
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Sad fact is the militant wings of both major US parties have pretty much thrown the idea of a diverse democracy out the window. Ideology over all.
I just hope that the quiet bulk of the US population remains sane and can act as a calming influence on the forum fanatics

“A funny thing happened on the way to the skeptics debate forum,
The posters had decided that debate and skepticism were inconvenient “
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 02:37 PM   #1926
Giz
Philosopher

No it's not, but I still draw an important distinction between activities that are or aren't intended to cause actual physical harm which is the point I've been making.
Hand wave away the Ideologues getting in the way of democratic elections if you want.
Old 22nd May 2019, 02:38 PM   #1927
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

@Femi_Sorry (cold drink) and Ed Miliband (egg) are on the left. They both took the non harmful protests in their stride.
John Prescott, not so much.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 02:38 PM   #1928
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Note how they hand wave away the "Slippery Slope" idea.
This is probably the most obnoxious part of it all. Their entire justification for political violence is based on a slippery slope argument.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 02:48 PM   #1929
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

White supremacists with Nazi paraphernalia add a bit of colour to the downtown. Wouldn’t it be great if they would open restaurants where you could get culturally pure white European food, among Third Reich decor? Now that would be a real melting pot!
Old 22nd May 2019, 02:54 PM   #1930
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
White supremacists with Nazi paraphernalia add a bit of colour to the downtown. Wouldn’t it be great if they would open restaurants where you could get culturally pure white European food, among Third Reich decor? Now that would be a real melting pot!
So now dudalb is a nazi?

How do we hail him? “Ein Reich, ein dudalb, ein yolk!” ?
Old 22nd May 2019, 03:01 PM   #1931
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"Nazis."
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 03:09 PM   #1932
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Incorrect.
Then you don't know your history.

The Nazis came to power in a time of extraordinary violence between a number of political parties in the Weimar Republic. The violence played an integral part of their rise, and the violence of their rivals as well. That's in addition to the Republic being unable to do anything about it. There is no parallel, here, except YOUR willingness to engage in violence.

Quote:
No.
No what? No, you don't see a problem with it? Or no you don't think they would be justified?

Quote:
My focus has always been on white nationalism/supremacy as a whole. ETA: And I have plainly said so several times throughout this thread and others on this topic. There has been no "broadening" on my part.
The TOPIC is Nazis. You're calling all nationalists and supremacists Nazis, and I'm sure quite a bit more as well. That's broadening; perhaps not of your own argument, which wasn't what I said or meant, but of what's being discussed, which is what I predicted earlier in the thread.

Quote:
White nationalism led to the Holocaust.
Humanity led to the Holocaust. See, I can speak in very broad terms as well, ignore the immediate causes of the Nazi rise to power, and paint everyone I want with the same brush. Not useful, but if I'm a misanthrope, quite satisfying.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 03:16 PM   #1933
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Ideally, egg them sooner, so that things don't get to wholesale slaughter later.
Help me out, here: in what way will eggs stop the slaughter?

It's a discussion of categories, not similarities. The proper response to either Robinson or Rubin is humiliation, rather than violence or indifference. Both are problems (where Dankula or whatever the US equivalent is), neither is anywhere near the Spencer level of organized murderous violence as far as I know.
Sorry, I don't know Rubin very well, but enough to ask why he needs to be humiliated.

Done playing Sonic the Hedgehog?

Ready to act like an adult, or at least a reasonable child?
I don't think pretending that Nazis poised to take over the country and commit genocide are going to be defeated by lobbing eggs at them is being particularily mature.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 03:17 PM   #1934
Belz...
Fiend God

If you want to turn a country into an authoritarian state , seems to me that Vigilantism ie, allowing private citizens to take the law into their own hands, is a damn good way to do it.
In fact it's historically exactly how you do it.

Old 22nd May 2019, 03:40 PM   #1935
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
This is a non sequitur, because your average white nationalist is just as racist as the Nazis were. And no, you're not getting away with leaving out the "white" and trying to shift the focus to make it look like I'm attacking something different. This isn't about "rah rah Murica!"

It is a bog-standard racist myth that non-white immigrants are "taking all the jobs".
As adding "white" is pretending there are no non-white nationalists in the US
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 05:35 PM   #1936
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
As adding "white" is pretending there are no non-white nationalists in the US
Under discussion: White Nationalists, Nazis, Klanners... generally, no, there are no non-whites in those groups. Feel free to start a thread about black or Asian-American or Latino/a Nationalists. Here, we're discussing Nazis, nazis, and No True Nazis.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 06:14 PM   #1937
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Under discussion: White Nationalists, Nazis, Klanners... generally, no, there are no non-whites in those groups. Feel free to start a thread about black or Asian-American or Latino/a Nationalists. Here, we're discussing Nazis, nazis, and No True Nazis.
I can't believe I have to say this but

There are also a lot of nationalists whose reasons aren't based on race

Some aren't even white

Plenty of Nationalists are nationalist because they have a fear of losing job opportunities

Some because they fear over population

Some because they think their religion might be taken over

Some because they just don't like outsiders

All just as irrational, but all have nothing to do with race
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Last edited by cullennz; 22nd May 2019 at 06:20 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 08:10 PM   #1938
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I can't believe I have to say this but

There are also a lot of nationalists whose reasons aren't based on race

Some aren't even white

Plenty of Nationalists are nationalist because they have a fear of losing job opportunities

Some because they fear over population

Some because they think their religion might be taken over

Some because they just don't like outsiders

All just as irrational, but all have nothing to do with race
Go with your instincts. If you "can't believe" you have to say something, perhaps basing a lengthy post on your beliefs is not the way to go.

Is anyone denying that other forms of nationalism exist? We are discussing White Nationalists. Do you not understand that the adjective is what makes the phrase? That's why Checkmite voiced the opinion that you left out that important adjective. We are discussing one sort of nationalist. The bigoted type. Your introduction of "average nationalist" is not germane to the discussion.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 08:13 PM   #1939
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Go with your instincts. If you "can't believe" you have to say something, perhaps basing a lengthy post on your beliefs is not the way to go.

Is anyone denying that other forms of nationalism exist? We are discussing White Nationalists. Do you not understand that the adjective is what makes the phrase? That's why Checkmite voiced the opinion that you left out that important adjective. We are discussing one sort of nationalist. The bigoted type. Your introduction of "average nationalist" is not germane to the discussion.
Well then maybe you should say racist white nationalists

Because if any whites happen to fall into the other categories they are also white nationalists by pure defignition, No?

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

Old 22nd May 2019, 08:27 PM   #1940
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Ah, yes. The rehabilitation of nationalism.
Old 22nd May 2019, 08:37 PM   #1941
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Well then maybe you should say racist white nationalists

Because if any whites happen to fall into the other categories they are also white nationalists by pure defignition, No?

White Nationalists. Notice the upper case letters. Why is it that no one has any real problem with the terminology but you? Oh, you can't call them Nazis because True Nazis have to have been members of a party that was shut down in 1945. Well, nationalists could be anything....

The thread is about nazis. In the context of the thread, use of white nationalist or White Nationalist should not even be necessary. Introducing now, "some other kind of not-bigoted nationalist who just happens to be white" is sort of like discussing "other kinds of Nepalese insurgents who just happen to be Maoists, but aren't necessarily Maoist insurgents". Yeah, they might exist, but this seems to be the traditional pseudo skepticism dodge; arguing about the definitions to avoid the topic or to simply win a phase of the debate.

Old 22nd May 2019, 08:48 PM   #1942
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Quibbling over precise technical definitions of words only distracts from the more important issues.
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:16 PM   #1943
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Quibbling over precise technical definitions of words only distracts from the more important issues.
Fair point

Will shut up on that one

But they are still just idiot wannabe Nazis

Old 22nd May 2019, 09:25 PM   #1944
dann
Philosopher

Ah, yes. The rehabilitation of nationalism.

That is the problem, and nobody wants to address it because nationalism is good - except that it isn't. Nationalism is the ideology that we, the billionaires as well as the homeless, those of us who belong to the same wonderful nation, have something other than a passport in common because of this alleged fellowship. The nation is supposed to be what helps us thrive in our pursuit of happiness so when we obviously don't, it must be something else, something unpatriotic, that prevents this nation of ours from being truly great. It no longer helps us succeed, so we have to take up the fight against the foreign elements that ruin this once great nation in order to make the nation great again.

And there are an awful lot of enemies out there: Who stole my job, for instance? Who now lives in the house that I ought to be living in? Well, it can't be the billionaires who laid me off or who foreclosed my house. First of all, billionaires live in mansions, not in houses like mine, and they are the ones that lend me the money that enables me to become a homeowner in the first place. And they don't lay me off. On the contrary, they create jobs. Except when they don't because they are either threatened by our common enemies, the Chinese, or employ bloody foreigners who weren't supposed to be here in the first place. But if a billionaire acts like that, he can't have been a true patriot. He is probably a stinking Jew.

So in order to make the nation great again, we have to close down the borders. The foreigners and their cheap products shouldn't be allowed entry into our fine nation. And if we could also eliminate the people of the wrong color, who obviously don't belong here, mission's accomplished.
Unemployment doesn't turn people into Nazis. Nationalism does.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2019, 12:07 AM   #1945
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
That is the problem, and nobody wants to address it because nationalism is good - except that it isn't. Nationalism is the ideology that we, the billionaires as well as the homeless, those of us who belong to the same wonderful nation, have something other than a passport in common because of this alleged fellowship. The nation is supposed to be what helps us thrive in our pursuit of happiness so when we obviously don't, it must be something else, something unpatriotic, that prevents this nation of ours from being truly great. It no longer helps us succeed, so we have to take up the fight against the foreign elements that ruin this once great nation in order to make the nation great again.

And there are an awful lot of enemies out there: Who stole my job, for instance? Who now lives in the house that I ought to be living in? Well, it can't be the billionaires who laid me off or who foreclosed my house. First of all, billionaires live in mansions, not in houses like mine, and they are the ones that lend me the money that enables me to become a homeowner in the first place. And they don't lay me off. On the contrary, they create jobs. Except when they don't because they are either threatened by our common enemies, the Chinese, or employ bloody foreigners who weren't supposed to be here in the first place. But if a billionaire acts like that, he can't have been a true patriot. He is probably a stinking Jew.

So in order to make the nation great again, we have to close down the borders. The foreigners and their cheap products shouldn't be allowed entry into our fine nation. And if we could also eliminate the people of the wrong color, who obviously don't belong here, mission's accomplished.
Unemployment doesn't turn people into Nazis. Nationalism does.
Yep, nationalism is the issue. It becomes much worse when it's combined with racism, as is the case with the Nazis.

It seems the "enlightened centrists" aren't going to be convinced that there is a problem with white nationalism. That means that there will be a lot of bloodshed in the future. Might seem chicken little, but it's simply what history tells us.

Until last friday - when his number two man was shown on film trying to trade government contracts with the supposed daughter of a Russian oligarch - the second highest ranking member of the Austrian government was a neo-Nazi. Last year, a few months after coming into power, the Austrian interior ministry, under the control of the neo-Nazi's party, orchestrated a raid on the government agency for monitoring extremists. Armed police made off with years of intelligence, much of it gained from cooperation with international allies.

This is what happens when Nazis start to gain power. They attack the institutions of democracy and law. It is what is happening in various parts of Europe where Nazis have managed to get elected to the national government. It's what's happening in the US as well.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2019, 12:47 AM   #1946
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I disagree.

When I was a kid I once got quite far into a discussion about chips, only to find out I was talking about computers and the other guy was talking about potatoes.

It's best to start off with a clear agreed-upon definition of the terms used.
Old 23rd May 2019, 12:52 AM   #1947
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Yep, nationalism is the issue. It becomes much worse when it's combined with racism, as is the case with the Nazis.

It seems the "enlightened centrists" aren't going to be convinced that there is a problem with white nationalism. That means that there will be a lot of bloodshed in the future. Might seem chicken little, but it's simply what history tells us.

Until last friday - when his number two man was shown on film trying to trade government contracts with the supposed daughter of a Russian oligarch - the second highest ranking member of the Austrian government was a neo-Nazi. Last year, a few months after coming into power, the Austrian interior ministry, under the control of the neo-Nazi's party, orchestrated a raid on the government agency for monitoring extremists. Armed police made off with years of intelligence, much of it gained from cooperation with international allies.

This is what happens when Nazis start to gain power. They attack the institutions of democracy and law. It is what is happening in various parts of Europe where Nazis have managed to get elected to the national government. It's what's happening in the US as well.
Where?

And don't say Trump as that is beginning to get embarrassingly tedious

Old 23rd May 2019, 12:55 AM   #1948
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
I disagree.

When I was a kid I once got quite far into a discussion about chips, only to find out I was talking about computers and the other guy was talking about potatoes.

It's best to start off with a clear agreed-upon definition of the terms used.
The problem is that Nazis are speaking openly only in code, "jokes" and memes. That means it's difficult to prove that any one person currently identifies as a National Socialist.

However, since the sliding scale of White Nationalist to Nazi isn't very long, and considering the extreme right wants to be seen as a united front (against leftism, liberalism, democracy etc) I think it's only fair to simply label them all as Nazis and be done with it. The problem with Nazis, after all, wasn't their particular views on economic theory, but their virulent racism and nationalism.

If we focus on what the problem with these groups actually is, the semantic discussion is cut short. However, there is a clear aim by some people to keep the semantic discussion going in order to shield these groups. We have people like that posting on this forum. We can either see through this (rather obvious) tactic, or we can abide by it and lock ourselves in an ever-lasting discussion about who's a real Nazi or not, all the while the Nazis are gaining power.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2019, 12:56 AM   #1949
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Where?

And don't say Trump as that is beginning to get embarrassingly tedious
Trump is attacking democratic and legal institutions.

You don't want to see it, but that doesn't make it go away.

Old 23rd May 2019, 01:01 AM   #1950
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Trump is attacking democratic and legal institutions.

You don't want to see it, but that doesn't make it go away.
This does not make him a Nazi

Is he anti-capitalist?

Does he subjugate his female family members?

Does he not work with any black or jewish people?

Edit: Being a racist scumbag does not make someone a Nazi

Last edited by cullennz; 23rd May 2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 23rd May 2019, 01:03 AM   #1951
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

This does not make him a Nazi

Is he anti-capitalist?

Does he subjugate his female family members?

Does he not work with any black or jewish people?

Edit: Being a racist scumbag does not make someone a Nazi
Read what I said.

Old 23rd May 2019, 01:07 AM   #1952
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Read what I said.
I did read what you said

I am just not sure of the point as what you wrote doesn't make him a nazi

Old 23rd May 2019, 01:09 AM   #1953
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I did read what you said

I am just not sure of the point as what you wrote doesn't make him a nazi
No, he isn't a Nazi. People in his admin are. He's a useful idiot who panders to Nazis. He's also doing what Nazis are doing. What is it you have trouble understanding?

Old 23rd May 2019, 01:14 AM   #1954
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

No, he isn't a Nazi. People in his admin are. He's a useful idiot who panders to Nazis. He's also doing what Nazis are doing. What is it you have trouble understanding?
Who?

See it is easy to do the switch around when questioned and go from Trump is a nazi to "People in his admin are".

Because no one knows who is admin are. Including you, I would wager.

Again, just explain your quote

You obviously know his admin. What are their names?

Quote:
It's what's happening in the US as well.

Old 23rd May 2019, 01:17 AM   #1955
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Who?
Sebastian Gorka - not currently in the admin, but was adviser to the President. Presidential defender on Fox.

Steven Miller - White Nationalist

Steve Bannon - Head of the "platform for the alt-right" that is Breitbart. Also not currently in the admin. On a crusade to train right wing extremists in the art of rat-*******.

See it is easy to do the switch around when questioned and go from Trump is a nazi to "People in his admin are".
Since I never said Trump was a Nazi, yes, it was easy to switch.

Because no one knows who is admin are. Including you, I would wager.

Again, just explain your quote

You obviously know his admin. What are their names?
Read up, my boy.

ETA: In order to not allow cullenz to bog the discussion down in another semantic quibble over "no-true-nazi", my point was, the Trump admin is acting like the Nazis are acting, and this means democracy and the rule of law is under attack in the US and in Europe.

Last edited by uke2se; 23rd May 2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 23rd May 2019, 01:25 AM   #1956
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Sebastian Gorka - not currently in the admin, but was adviser to the President. Presidential defender on Fox.

Steven Miller - White Nationalist

Steve Bannon - Head of the "platform for the alt-right" that is Breitbart. Also not currently in the admin. On a crusade to train right wing extremists in the art of rat-*******.
The only one who hasn't been sacked is Miller and he is Jewish

He must be quite a nasty nazi

Edit: Again explain

Quote:
It's what's happening in the US as well.

Last edited by cullennz; 23rd May 2019 at 01:28 AM.
Old 23rd May 2019, 01:37 AM   #1957
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

The only one who hasn't been sacked is Miller and he is Jewish

He must be quite a nasty nazi
What's your point?

Edit: Again explain
I have. You don't want to understand.

Old 23rd May 2019, 01:47 AM   #1958
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

What's your point?

I have. You don't want to understand.
I don't have a point.

Apart from questioning your accusation that these wannabe nazis are infiltrating the US govt like they genuinely are in some places in Europe.

They aren't

You made a claim they are. Just like Europe

Quote:
This is probably the most annoying point of this whole discussion.

People seem to throw around the nazi label like it means nothing but someone who happens to be racist. Or far right. Or even a white nationalist in the racist sense.

It doesn't

It is a whole social, political and even scientific ideology and people throwing the term round willy nilly, at least to me, belittles the ugliness and the disgusting **** true nazis got up to.

And from a personal stand point, given like others on here whose relatives fought against them and had their friends get blown to bits in front of them doing it... It is getting a tad .... tedious.

Personal rant. Forgive me

Old 23rd May 2019, 02:01 AM   #1959
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I don't have a point.

Apart from questioning your accusation that these wannabe nazis are infiltrating the US govt like they genuinely are in some places in Europe.

They aren't

You made a claim they are. Just like Europe
You don't have a point? What was your point in bringing up Miller's Jewish ancestry? Did you have no point there?

How do you explain how Sebastian Gorka and Steve Bannon came into the administration?

I mean, you've already rejected White Nationalist Steven Miller as a problem because he happens to be Jewish (never mind what his family thinks of his shenanigans), so surely there are equally valid reasons for Seb "Vitézi Rend" Gorka and Steve "platform of the alt-right" Bannon weren't problems.

This is probably the most annoying point of this whole discussion.

People seem to throw around the nazi label like it means nothing but someone who happens to be racist. Or far right. Or even a white nationalist in the racist sense.

It doesn't
For all practical purposes, it does.

The part that's so dangerous of your line of thinking is that as long as you put Nazis and White Nationalists into separate categories, you sanitize White Nationalism because, at least it's not Nazism, right? The things we object to in Nazism is the same things we object to in White Nationalism and other variations of the theme. It's all boils down to the same thing, and yes, neo-Nazis are a huge problem, but it's the same problem posed by White Nationalists. You might not have noticed, but White Nationalists tend to use the same iconography, language and spout the same ideas that Nazis do.

It is a whole social, political and even scientific ideology and people throwing the term round willy nilly, at least to me, belittles the ugliness and the disgusting **** true nazis got up to.
No, what belittles that are the people going around attempting to minimize the problem that the extreme right poses to democracy.

And from a personal stand point, given like others on here whose relatives fought against them and had their friends get blown to bits in front of them doing it... It is getting a tad .... tedious.

Personal rant. Forgive me
You are forgiven. You are also wrong.

Last edited by uke2se; 23rd May 2019 at 02:05 AM.
Old 23rd May 2019, 02:11 AM   #1960
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You don't have a point? What was your point in bringing up Miller's Jewish ancestry? Did you have no point there?
You said he was a nazi and he is jewish

How do you explain how Sebastian Gorka and Steve Bannon came into the administration?
They aren't working there

I mean, you've already rejected White Nationalist Steven Miller as a problem because he happens to be Jewish (never mind what his family thinks of his shenanigans), so surely there are equally valid reasons for Seb "Vitézi Rend" Gorka and Steve "platform of the alt-right" Bannon weren't problems.
See the first 2 questions

For all practical purposes, it does.
No it doesn't

The part that's so dangerous of your line of thinking is that as long as you put Nazis and White Nationalists into separate categories, you sanitize White Nationalism because, at least it's not Nazism, right? The things we object to in Nazism is the same things we object to in White Nationalism and other variations of the theme. It's all boils down to the same thing, and yes, neo-Nazis are a huge problem, but it's the same problem posed by White Nationalists. You might not have noticed, but White Nationalists tend to use the same iconography, language and spout the same ideas that Nazis do.
I hate white nationalists whose reason is race. This does not make them nazis

No, what belittles that are the people going around attempting to minimize the problem that the extreme right poses to democracy.
What problem

You came up with the names of 3 "nazis"

1 is jewish

the other 2 aren't even working there

Last edited by cullennz; 23rd May 2019 at 02:12 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events