ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th July 2019, 05:00 PM   #1
MiroirDuTemps25
New Blood

Best eBooks about Programming and Computers

Hello.

Interrested by Computer and Progamming, I was asking which ones are the best on eBooks.

Thanks a lot.
MiroirDuTemps25 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 09:41 PM   #2
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I think before anyone can attempt to answer that question you will need to be more specific. Anything area within computers and programming? Is your first language English? What are you hoping to achieve?
Old 4th July 2019, 10:46 PM   #3
The Common Potato
Student

I came across the Home and Learn site a little while ago. My knowledge of programming is ever so slightly better than next to zero, so I have no idea how useful the site is. https://www.homeandlearn.uk/index.html

Last edited by The Common Potato; 4th July 2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Spulling error
The Common Potato is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 05:00 AM   #4
Wudang
BOFH

Fill your boots up.

https://github.com/EbookFoundation/f...-books.md#java

Started as a question on Stackoverflow and is now a curated list.

This has some good resources as well though I've only skimmed the java book
https://goalkicker.com/

eta; Good starting point. First year CS material with C#. Useful language to know
http://www.csharpcourse.com/

Last edited by Wudang; 5th July 2019 at 05:04 AM.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 01:11 PM   #5
MiroirDuTemps25
New Blood

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I think before anyone can attempt to answer that question you will need to be more specific. Anything area within computers and programming? Is your first language English? What are you hoping to achieve?
I am a Frenchwoman... I want the covert the base like the composants of computers.

Last edited by MiroirDuTemps25; 5th July 2019 at 01:16 PM.
MiroirDuTemps25 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 08:34 AM   #6
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

Sounds like your English may not be up to the task. You may get better responses from French speakers; I believe there are a few here.

One of the questions you'll be asked is "which programming language", which was alluded to by Wudang above. If you use Microsoft Windows, C# may be a good starting point; fairly easy to get into. There are some issues with using it outside of Windows, and it won't work at all if you want to do things for iPhone/iPad or Android devices, but otherwise it's probably not an unreasonable way to start with professional-style programming. EDIT: That's the http://www.csharpcourse.com/ Wudang mentions.
Old 7th July 2019, 07:17 AM   #7
Wudang
BOFH

I am told that python is a good learning language in that it teaches good habits. It's what my daughter is learning at school and I keep meaning to learn it myself but after the 14th language I think I need to forget a language to learn a new one.
Old 7th July 2019, 02:02 PM   #8
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

That's true; Python is probably more accessible than C#. It certainly doesn't require as large a download to get started, and some of the ways it works makes it simpler to use.

It's weakly typed, though, as I understand it, which may lead novices into habits or misunderstandings that cause trouble when (if) they switch to strongly typed languages.
Old 11th July 2019, 10:01 AM   #9
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Fill your boots up.

https://github.com/EbookFoundation/f...-books.md#java

Started as a question on Stackoverflow and is now a curated list.

This has some good resources as well though I've only skimmed the java book
https://goalkicker.com/

eta; Good starting point. First year CS material with C#. Useful language to know
http://www.csharpcourse.com/
Humble Bundle have many (far too many now, IMO) programming & designing book bundles turning up, they're worth keeping an eye on if that's your thing
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 06:14 PM   #10
MiroirDuTemps25
New Blood

Thanks a lot ! I will check that !

Thanks to all of you, seem I have times to understand better what are programming and computer.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet