ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th July 2019, 04:14 AM   #1
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

What are Windows 7 users planning to do come its End-Of-Life in Jan 2020?

I'm rather fond of Win 7 Pro (never had the same attachment to XP) and fully intend to carry on using it, I'm going to set up my PC to dual-boot but undecided on the second OS (which will be mainly for web use), Window$ or Linux.

What about others here who are averse to change for it's own sake?
Old 5th July 2019, 05:48 AM   #2
Wudang
BOFH

Linux used to be hard but is pretty transparent now. Go for a mainstream distro like ubuntu (it has the best end-user support forums etc) and it should all just work. You can install on a USB stick or dvd and run it from there to try it. My kid barely noticed a difference between the windows and linux PCs apart from me having to tell her Word is called Writer here as I use LibreOffice on linux.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutoria...-you-install#0

Useful resource: https://askubuntu.com/

Also asking here. Some good knowledgeable people here. Shame about the rest.

Last edited by Wudang; 5th July 2019 at 05:50 AM.
Wudang is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 06:10 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I plan to keep using the windows 10 I installed about three years ago.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 06:25 AM   #4
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Win 7 Pro PC (tower) stats;
power on counts 3832 (575 per year for 6.7 years).

total power on time 33160 hours / 1381 days / 3.765 years

The same two RAID 0's for all that time - 2 x 90GB Corsair Force 9 SSD's and 2 x Western Digital 500GB Caviar Greens (with 'intellipark' head parking disabled in firmware - they'd have died long since otherwise.)

I know that I've had a handful of lock-ups, crashes and blue-screens, but literally a handful - half a dozen in all that time?

Then finally, early June this year (at c. the 6 year 8 month mark) Avast! invoked a windows update without my permission (I always have updates on manual) and it borked it - PC hung on shutdown with the "do not turn off your computer" message and "100%" displayed. Hit reset after half an hour and the same at boot - "installing updates" "30% complete".

Unfortunately I'd disabled restore point creation on day one (early paranoia about SSD life), instead I used to image the system drive externally a couple of times year, but of course I'd got complacent and hadn't done one since 2016, so finally decided to do a new install.

The machine's taken a hammering in that time - planty of gaming (sometimes with an xBox controller), video/audio editing and encoding, graphics stuff et al.

Pretty extraordinary stability/reliability however you look at it.

Should add that I also still use Windows Media Center as a PVR. I set it to record Later With Jools Holland just after I built the machine in Sep 2012 and ... it recorded every episode of every series for the next six years!!!
Old 5th July 2019, 06:54 AM   #5
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Linux used to be hard but is pretty transparent now. Go for a mainstream distro like ubuntu (it has the best end-user support forums etc) and it should all just work. You can install on a USB stick or dvd and run it from there to try it. My kid barely noticed a difference between the windows and linux PCs apart from me having to tell her Word is called Writer here as I use LibreOffice on linux.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutoria...-you-install#0

Useful resource: https://askubuntu.com/

Also asking here. Some good knowledgeable people here. Shame about the rest.
That's likely the way to go. I set up Red Hat Linux as a second boot on my XP Pro machine back in c. 2003 just to see how well it would function, but never really found a use for it otherwise. Times have well-and-truly changed re. Linux, and the incentive to generally avoid having the IT mega-corporations watching and dictating to me is pressing.
Old 5th July 2019, 07:59 AM   #6
Wudang
BOFH

Linux has moved on a lot since then. The only real difference is that some of my games don't run on Linux using the steam engine or wine. The Linux laptop is far faster than it was with Win8. I have good web browsers, better control over what's running (yes I use autostart on windows), excellent dev tools (Intellij and STS run on both) etc.

The Brave browser claims to give more privacy btw. You may have seen discussions here before about privacy - ghostery browser extension, HOSTS files to block potential malicious adware and trackers etc.
Old 7th July 2019, 07:47 PM   #7
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
I'm rather fond of Win 7 Pro (never had the same attachment to XP) and fully intend to carry on using it, I'm going to set up my PC to dual-boot but undecided on the second OS (which will be mainly for web use), Window$ or Linux.

In this machine I will keep using it. I haven't updated it in many years anyways. Couldn't care less what MS does with it. As long as programs support it I'm fine. Last good OS MS has built IMO.
Old 8th July 2019, 09:37 AM   #8
plague311
Great minds think...

Unfortunately I'd disabled restore point creation on day one (early paranoia about SSD life), instead I used to image the system drive externally a couple of times year, but of course I'd got complacent and hadn't done one since 2016, so finally decided to do a new install.
Veeam Backup and Restoration. Free, and if you have a NAS you can just backup straight to it. I run an ESXi system at home, and I backup 2-3 servers to a NAS that I have, but you can do direct attached storage too. You can set it up to do it on a schedule, etc. I run mine on the servers everyday, and I think you can do up to 3 servers for nothing. There are other options as well, but I'd think about it. It's a great method, and we use it at work as well.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 12:22 PM   #9
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Nothing really. Currently, I have machines running pretty much every version back to XP for compatibility testing purposes. (programmer) I don't want to change any of them at all. It is quite surprising how common they all are out in the field.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 12:45 PM   #10
deadrose
Illuminator

I will drag out Win7 as long as I can. I'm still running XP on one box, for graphics cataloging reasons.

I'm not really happy with any of my current options after 7, including going to a different OS. Linux doesn't fit my needs, and neither does Apple's current "not-a-computer" stuff. I'm left just hoping that one of the options improves by the time I can't put it off any longer.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 12:59 PM   #11
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
I will drag out Win7 as long as I can. I'm still running XP on one box, for graphics cataloging reasons.

I'm not really happy with any of my current options after 7, including going to a different OS. Linux doesn't fit my needs, and neither does Apple's current "not-a-computer" stuff. I'm left just hoping that one of the options improves by the time I can't put it off any longer.
You can extend your support if you're using Pro or Enterprise. It says they'll continue updates through 2023. You have to go to the bottom of this page and it says:

Quote:
For users of Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise, you can purchase extended security updates through January 2023. For an in-depth FAQ about Windows 7 Extended Security Updates, please download the Microsoft end of support FAQ.

Have you used Windows 10 much? I generally have a hard time understanding why people hate it so much, especially if you shut off all of the spying nonsense they put in there. Other than that, functionally, I've never run into too many issues.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 03:54 PM   #12
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Windows 10 in Desktop Mode is a lot like Windows 7 to drive. Does most of the same things and has more current drivers. Some very old peripherals are no longer supported or you need to get special drivers (or you can force them to work if you know how). But otherwise, Win10 is much of a muchness with Win7, really.

NB. I really like Windows 7.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 05:48 PM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
NB. I really like Windows 7.
I'm more of a DOS 6 and Windows 3.1 guy, myself.

When they stop supporting 7, I'll do what I did when they stopped supporting XP: Be glad the computer doesn't get bogged down with useless updates any more.
Old 8th July 2019, 05:53 PM   #14
deadrose
Illuminator

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
You can extend your support if you're using Pro or Enterprise. It says they'll continue updates through 2023.
Apparently only if you also have volume licensing, which puts me out of the running.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 07:46 PM   #15
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
A 32-bit menu on top of a 16-bit OS running on 8-bit CPUs with 4-bit slices provided by a 2-bit company that doesn't give one bit of care about you any more.

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 08:17 PM   #16
batpuncher
Scholar

What is the enforced restarts like in Win10 (I only use it at work so don't get to play with the nitty-gritty)?

I installed it when I had the free download, but as I do 3D animation stuff on it, having the computer restart during a render is not really an option so went back to 7.

What is it like now? Can the auto-restarts be stopped/defered?
batpuncher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 08:27 PM   #17
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by batpuncher View Post
What is the enforced restarts like in Win10 (I only use it at work so don't get to play with the nitty-gritty)?

I installed it when I had the free download, but as I do 3D animation stuff on it, having the computer restart during a render is not really an option so went back to 7.

Could always be stopped. Just that it was the default action on a vanilla install.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/s...omatic-reboots
Old 8th July 2019, 10:22 PM   #18
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Welll, I'm getting a new desktop computer delivered tomorrow. I've had this one since 2011 and although the Windows seems to be working okay, the fans have been making a noise and the Tech chap has had some difficulty trying to track down replacements. The new one wil be Windows 10, but I've ordered it from Dolphin so they will have installed my SuperNova software. And I might as well have the benefits of a new one even if I don't last long enough to get my money's worth!!
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 12:47 AM   #19
Wudang
BOFH

If you don't want updates set your network connection as metered. (Works for now, YMMV etc).

If you don't like the menu behaviour install classic shell http://www.classicshell.net/ and it behaves like XP or 7. I didn't like any windows after 7 until 10 settled down.
Old 9th July 2019, 03:56 AM   #20
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Learn about setting win10 to desktop mode instead of tablet mode. Problems disappear.
Old 9th July 2019, 06:29 AM   #21
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
Apparently only if you also have volume licensing, which puts me out of the running.
Boo. I didn't read that far into it, my bad.

Old 9th July 2019, 02:46 PM   #22
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

The issue with no updates (or disabled updates), though, is that if there are security issues in your OS they won't get fixed (and the probability of someone exploiting them goes up).

Same applies to handheld devices (notably older Android ones) since the manufacturer often stops updating that model after around two years.

WRT to restarting: It's in part due to a Windows philosophy that files that are in use can't be renamed/moved/deleted. This means that any system update that changes a file (such as a system component) that's always in use must reboot to put the change in place.

Linux has the opposite philosophy, but this has other less obvious side-effects.
Old 9th July 2019, 07:20 PM   #23
batpuncher
Scholar

Thanks peeps. I'm expecting Windows to not really care about what you want, "Hey, I know you have chosen this unambiguous setting, but we're going to do it anyway because it's much more important than anything you could possibly be doing" sorta thing.

I've got Arch Linux on everything else, so aside from NVIDIA drivers I've never needed to restart that OS, I only use Windows for Lightwave and games that don't run in Linux.
batpuncher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 01:15 AM   #24
Aber
Graduate Poster

Current pause options
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MS updates.jpg (16.5 KB, 14 views)
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 01:25 AM   #25
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

When they stop supporting 7, I'll do what I did when they stopped supporting XP: Be glad the computer doesn't get bogged down with useless updates any more.
Sure, just don't connect to the Internet or you'll be a magnet for all sorts of malware because it's full of vulnerabilities that have not been patched.
Old 10th July 2019, 01:32 AM   #26
Wudang
BOFH

I am told that if you set your network connection as "metered" windows will not automatically download updates.
Old 10th July 2019, 12:09 PM   #27
batpuncher
Scholar

Thanks Aber/Wudang. Not too bad then, but annoying that you have to remember to fight the settings before you start doing stuff.
Old 11th July 2019, 09:57 AM   #28
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
Current pause options
There's also the 'active hours' setting that means it's not going to run updates during a work day (just check the Windows Update screen and Change active hours)
Thanks Aber/Wudang. Not too bad then, but annoying that you have to remember to fight the settings before you start doing stuff.
As someone who ends up supporting Friends & Family I much prefer having an auto-update as it means they're not going to get caught out by an old vulnerability. And most of the time I've seen "Oh, it interrupted my work!!" it tends to be that the machine has been left too long without updating, installs in the background and then pops up the restart now? dialogue which people click...
Most times there's an option to defer the restart that people ignore.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 10:50 AM   #29
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
As someone who ends up supporting Friends & Family I much prefer having an auto-update as it means they're not going to get caught out by an old vulnerability.

Every so often I grab my daughters laptop and check updated and rebooted otherwise "It won't start and I have homework for tomorrow"
Old 12th July 2019, 03:33 AM   #30
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Nothing really. Currently, I have machines running pretty much every version back to XP for compatibility testing purposes. (programmer) I don't want to change any of them at all. It is quite surprising how common they all are out in the field.
Pffff. XP, I have a working set of WinNT 3.1 installation disks, both 3.5" and 5.25". Plus the optional CD-ROM...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 03:51 AM   #31
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
You can extend your support if you're using Pro or Enterprise. It says they'll continue updates through 2023. You have to go to the bottom of this page and it says:
That's corporate/VLM/Select customers only.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.

Last edited by catsmate; 12th July 2019 at 03:53 AM.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet