ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th July 2019, 06:39 PM   #1
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Moon Landing Footage Would Be Impossible To Fake

Moon landing footage would have been impossible to fake a film expert explains why

Quote:
It's been half a century since the magnificent Apollo 11 Moon landing, yet many people still don't believe it actually happened. Conspiracy theories about the event dating back to the 1970s are in fact more popular than ever.

A common theory is that film director Stanley Kubrick helped NASA fake the historic footage of its six successful Moon landings.

But would it really have been possible to do that with the technology available at the time? I'm not a space travel expert, an engineer or a scientist. I am a filmmaker and lecturer in film post-production, and while I can't say how we landed on the Moon in 1969 I can say with some certainty that the footage would have been impossible to fake.

Here are some of the most common beliefs and questions and why they don't hold up.
Read the whole thing. You could say that it's illuminating.
Old 11th July 2019, 02:25 AM   #2
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYFMU7XfyzE

Professional filmaker SG Collins explains all the reasons why shooting the Lunar EVA in a studio would have been totally impossible with the technology of the time.

Its 13 minutes long, and if you're a skeptic of the Apollo conspiracy theory, its the best 13 minutes you will ever spend watching a YouTube video.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 09:12 AM   #3
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYFMU7XfyzE

Professional filmaker SG Collins explains all the reasons why shooting the Lunar EVA in a studio would have been totally impossible with the technology of the time.

Its 13 minutes long, and if you're a skeptic of the Apollo conspiracy theory, its the best 13 minutes you will ever spend watching a YouTube video.
He does a excellent job of debunking the "made on Earth video of the Lunar excursions"
I second the notion of it is the best 13 minutes of video whether you be a skeptic of the Apollo conspiracy theory or not.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 09:15 AM   #4
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

*puts on tin foil hat*

Except, the government had secret advanced computing technology that only filtered down to the private sector circa the year 2000!

*removes hat*

I don't actually believe that. For one, the Soviets were able to verify the moon landing's veracity. There's no way in hell they wouldn't have cried foul had it been faked. Also, there is a lot from Kubrick's 2001 that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Like, the stewardess and the floating pen. You can literally see her peeling if off tape.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 11th July 2019 at 09:17 AM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 11:03 AM   #5
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

There is a whole eleaborate conspiracy theory that Stanley Kubrick was hired to fake the moon landings, and the making of "2001" was part of the cover up.....

I am really expecting some high level insanity from the Moonbats on July 20th....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:54 PM   #6
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
*puts on tin foil hat*

Except, the government had secret advanced computing technology that only filtered down to the private sector circa the year 2000!

*removes hat*
"Once you are forced to hypothesise whole new technologies to keep your conspiracy possible, you have stepped over into the realm of magic, requiring of you a deep and abiding faith in things you can never know."
- S. G. Collins

I don't actually believe that. For one, the Soviets were able to verify the moon landing's veracity. There's no way in hell they wouldn't have cried foul had it been faked. Also, there is a lot from Kubrick's 2001 that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Like, the stewardess and the floating pen. You can literally see her peeling if off tape.
The lunar shuttle landing kicks up dust that hangs in the air... that only happens in an atmosphere.

The way the astronauts walk on the Lunar surface as the approach TMA1 is nothing like 1/6G

Last edited by smartcooky; 11th July 2019 at 01:56 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:58 PM   #7
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
There is a whole eleaborate conspiracy theory that Stanley Kubrick was hired to fake the moon landings, and the making of "2001" was part of the cover up.....

I am really expecting some high level insanity from the Moonbats on July 20th....
You are more than likely to be correct. With a possible rash of "new" YT videos re-hashing the stupidity of HB's. And forums such as this.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 02:22 PM   #8
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

"Once you are forced to hypothesise whole new technologies to keep your conspiracy possible, you have stepped over into the realm of magic, requiring of you a deep and abiding faith in things you can never know."
- S. G. Collins

The lunar shuttle landing kicks up dust that hangs in the air... that only happens in an atmosphere.

The way the astronauts walk on the Lunar surface as the approach TMA1 is nothing like 1/6G
There is a lot more than that, for instance the lunar topography in 2001 is all jagged and sharp (a common belief at the time because there was no atmosphere to erode sharp peaks) but in reality it is very round and smooth (because the impacts of millions of micro-meteors acted as the eroder,) also the Earth is clearly too large as seen from the surface, and the phase of the Earth changes multiple times throughout the scenes. I believe that Kubrick and the cameraman are visible as a reflection in the visor of Bowman of one of the others in one shot as well.

The funniest part of the whole "Apollo was faked" thing though is that films like 2001 were based on what we believed the Lunar surface was like, and what Apollo did as make us rethink all of our previous assumptions, from what the surface was really like, to even how the Moon came to exist in the first place. If they were going to fake it, then the very last thing they would have wanted to do was totally rewrite our contemporary beliefs about the moon, because that just makes scientists work harder at trying to figure out the mysteries of why what they got back was not what was expected, and that would be more likely to result in any duplicity being uncovered.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 11th July 2019 at 02:24 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 02:44 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Ot.Finally caught "First Man" the Neil Armstrong biopic this week. Not a great movie...not another "Right Stuff" or "Apollo 13" but still good and well worth watching.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 03:54 PM   #10
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

- S. G. Collins

I am sorry, smartcookie, I can't let you do that..........

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th July 2019, 04:39 PM   #11
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

*puts on tin foil hat*

*removes hat*

The Soviet ability to know that we faked the moon landing and the PR coup they could expose by revealing it is one of the best reasons to believe that we actually did land on the moon......unless the russians were in on it.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:04 PM   #12
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
The Soviet ability to know that we faked the moon landing and the PR coup they could expose by revealing it is one of the best reasons to believe that we actually did land on the moon......unless the russians were in on it.
Which kinda defeats the whole "fake it to beat the Russians" argument. Also makes you wonder why the Soviets would have scrapped their own manned lunar program and hidden it rather than demanding that the USA helped their fake their own landings had they been in on it.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:58 PM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Nixon sold them wheat, or something.
Old 11th July 2019, 07:51 PM   #14
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Nixon sold them wheat, or something.
Yea, with one mission left.
Old 11th July 2019, 08:33 PM   #15
Axxman300
Illuminator

Personally I hope to one day launch the CT that the Apollo missions were real, but the Vietnam War was faked. The whole thing was staged at Eglin AFB in Florida by Robert McNamara as a way to hide all the deaths from poorly designed Ford cars made between 1964 and 1973.

If you're going to allege crazy BS - GO BIG.
Old 11th July 2019, 11:17 PM   #16
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Which kinda defeats the whole "fake it to beat the Russians" argument. Also makes you wonder why the Soviets would have scrapped their own manned lunar program and hidden it rather than demanding that the USA helped their fake their own landings had they been in on it.
The Russians gave up on their attempts to put a human on the moon because they could not build a successful rocket that was big enough.

Ref: N1_(rocket)WP
Old 12th July 2019, 03:59 AM   #17
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
The Russians gave up on their attempts to put a human on the moon because they could not build a successful rocket that was big enough.

Ref: N1_(rocket)WP
I am very well aware of that. I was talking about their reasons in a fantasy world where Apollo was hoaxed and the Soviets knew it,

Old 12th July 2019, 06:06 AM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If NASA was willing/able to fake great achievements, they would have another one by now.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 06:09 AM   #19
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

The preceding scene with a meeting inside the lunar base is very obviously in normal earth gravity. I suppose it's less jarring because they're indoors and wearing everyday clothes.

When they get outside in spacesuits everyone moves more slowly and deliberately since for some reason movie shorthand for low gravity is doing everything really slowly.

I can remember as a kid playing at being spacemen and suddenly having this lightbulb moment "Wait - why are we moving so slowly?". Every kid knew that's how you did being in space, but it didn't make any sense.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 06:12 AM   #20
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
If NASA was willing/able to fake great achievements, they would have another one by now.
Voyager 2 must be due back with an alien olive branch any day now. Surely.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 06:35 AM   #21
ceptimus
puzzler

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by ceptimus; 12th July 2019 at 06:37 AM.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 07:42 AM   #22
bknight
Graduate Poster

No there is no rocket capable of a Moon landing currently operational.
Old 12th July 2019, 07:54 AM   #23
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
No there is no rocket capable of a Moon landing currently operational.
I'm pretty sure you don't need a rocket capable of a Moon landing to fake a moon landing.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 07:58 AM   #24
bknight
Graduate Poster

I'm pretty sure you don't need a rocket capable of a Moon landing to fake a moon landing.
That would be a big red flag FOR a conspiracy, since there doesn't exist the possibility of a Moon landing.
Old 12th July 2019, 08:02 AM   #25
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

That would be a big red flag FOR a conspiracy, since there doesn't exist the possibility of a Moon landing.
Conspiracy theorist don't need red flags. That's why they are conspiracy theorists.

If you have a rocket capable of landing on the moon why not.... yah know just land on the moon?

And most of the moon landing deniers I've dealt with are firmly in the "It's not technically possible to land on the moon" (radiation and such). I've not run into many "Oh we could have landing on the moon we just... didn't." types.
Old 12th July 2019, 08:16 AM   #26
bknight
Graduate Poster

Conspiracy theorist don't need red flags. That's why they are conspiracy theorists.

If you have a rocket capable of landing on the moon why not.... yah know just land on the moon?

And most of the moon landing deniers I've dealt with are firmly in the "It's not technically possible to land on the moon" (radiation and such). I've not run into many "Oh we could have landing on the moon we just... didn't." types.
Almost all the CT BS begins after a rocket/landing craft are out of eyesight. That's when you get the
Never left LEO
Radiation
No stars
No crater
Not correct communication time lapse
The Government (them) always lies
etc.
I'm not arguing that what you describe doesn't happen, but the conspiracy has to have a starting point. Now if that starting point was a secret powerful rocket with a launching site, then maybe I'll go with your thoughts.

And yes I have run onto many CT's that don't take science/facts into consideration for basing those ignorant beliefs.
Old 12th July 2019, 08:18 AM   #27
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

But the first thing people will ask is "how did you get there?".
So you have to be able to say "We went in that massive rocket you saw".
Etc.
Old 12th July 2019, 08:54 AM   #28
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
But the first thing people will ask is "how did you get there?".
So you have to be able to say "We went in that massive rocket you saw".
Etc.
That reminds me of the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MOnehCOUw&t=42s
Old 12th July 2019, 11:28 AM   #29
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe this should be merged with the Moon Hoax thread already exisiting?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th July 2019, 09:57 PM   #30
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Maybe this should be merged with the Moon Hoax thread already exisiting?
I don't agree.

There are so many wide and varied aspects of the moon hoax conspiracy theory it really deserves a section of its own like 911 Conspiracy and Trials & Errors.

Shadow angles
Flag movement
The Lunar Module
The Lunar rover
Lack of Stars
Movement of the astronauts in 1/6th G
Radiation and the van Allen belts
Computer techology
Dust
Film and image anolmalies
Heat
Soil
Rocks
Reseau plate fiducials
Big conspiracy v small conspiracy

and many more

I usually restrict Moon Hoax Debate to apollohoax.net because here, multiple trains of logic are all lumped into one thread, making it difficult or impossible to follow a line of reasoning.

Last edited by smartcooky; 12th July 2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 14th July 2019, 05:27 AM   #31
bknight
Graduate Poster

I don't agree.

There are so many wide and varied aspects of the moon hoax conspiracy theory it really deserves a section of its own like 911 Conspiracy and Trials & Errors.

Shadow angles
Flag movement
The Lunar Module
The Lunar rover
Lack of Stars
Movement of the astronauts in 1/6th G
Radiation and the van Allen belts
Computer techology
Dust
Film and image anolmalies
Heat
Soil
Rocks
Reseau plate fiducials
Big conspiracy v small conspiracy

and many more

I usually restrict Moon Hoax Debate to apollohoax.net because here, multiple trains of logic are all lumped into one thread, making it difficult or impossible to follow a line of reasoning.
Seems like we have beaten those "anomalies" to death, yet they are like zombies as they continue to re animate.
Old 14th July 2019, 09:52 AM   #32
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

There are so many wide and varied aspects of the moon hoax conspiracy theory...

Shadow angles...
[etc.]
Wow, it's like you read the Clavius.org landing page.

But yes, there are many different kinds of evidence that conspiracy theorists look at when claiming a hoax. And it's difficult to follow them all in one thread when they don't have much in common that underlies them. However, here the Apollo hoax just doesn't get as much attention as the 9/11 Truth, or even the Trials and Errors subforum. Ever since the timely demise of Dr. Poop, we just don't get many takers. Even at ApolloHoax.net we've had basically only two or three engaged claimants in the past year.

I'm certainly not disputing your proposition. I agree. But I think that here in this forum the counterargument prevails.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2019, 12:26 PM   #33
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
I did and I have, and its where I send people who ask me about the Apollo Hoax Theory.

It must have been a real smart guy who put that website together!

But yes, there are many different kinds of evidence that conspiracy theorists look at when claiming a hoax. And it's difficult to follow them all in one thread when they don't have much in common that underlies them. However, here the Apollo hoax just doesn't get as much attention as the 9/11 Truth, or even the Trials and Errors subforum. Ever since the timely demise of Dr. Poop, we just don't get many takers. Even at ApolloHoax.net we've had basically only two or three engaged claimants in the past year.

I'm certainly not disputing your proposition. I agree. But I think that here in this forum the counterargument prevails.
Fair enough then.
Old 14th July 2019, 01:24 PM   #34
bknight
Graduate Poster

Who pray tell was Dr. Poop? Not Dr. Socks?
Old 14th July 2019, 01:37 PM   #35
Willy Ekerslike
Scholar

Isn't he the fellow who told us 'going to the moon is like riding a bicycle, it's not rocket science'? Still my favourite moment on this forum.

Side bar: Is the recent Apollo 11 movie worth going to see if one was living and breathing the whole Gemini/Apollo thing in real time?

Last edited by Willy Ekerslike; 14th July 2019 at 01:39 PM.
Willy Ekerslike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM   #36
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

One and the same. He was the one with the odd obsession with Frank Borman's feces. As well as the man of a thousand sock puppets.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM   #37
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I did and I have, and its where I send people who ask me about the Apollo Hoax Theory.
Sure, if you like 1990s web design. I just thought the taxonomy looked pleasantly familiar. A nice, logical way to organize a rather large body of fact.

Quote:
It must have been a real smart guy who put that website together!
Naw, that guy's a jerk.
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM   #38
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

I've been meaning to ask you, Jay, have you noticed a spike in traffic to Clavius recently, as we approach the anniversary?
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM   #39
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
I've been meaning to ask you, Jay, have you noticed a spike in traffic to Clavius recently, as we approach the anniversary?
Yes, about 50% more traffic this month than previous months.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories