ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Old 30th May 2019, 03:48 PM   #2161
jerrywayne
Muse

Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
Thanks Shrike, I had seen those. I really think that suit is a good candidate for the origin of the head and arms/hands that were used on the Pattysuit and not just the mask as had been previously posited.

I also was curious if maybe Patterson also maybe used the feet from this costume, as I cant see him creating those himself. Surely he cobbled together the suit from existing pieces.

I did find one image of the feet of the Taurean costume, but alas, they appeared to be wearing boots. Which makes me think the Pattysuit feet and probably the leg material didnt come from the Taurean costume.

Interestingly theres a Taurean figurine for sale online, and the figurine is barefoot. But I cant find any evidence that the original suit had feet.

I wonder if there's other Star Trek costumes from that era that had feet like what we see on the Pattysuit.

I looked at the Mugato, but those were more apelike feet so it cant be those.
I would think the Patterson film subject's feet were very much a creation of Patterson's. They were Sasquatch feet, the reason why Patterson had his subject sure to kick up his heels so the camera could catch a shot of the feet. Ape costumes have ape feet, not the pseudo human foot of Sasquatch lore. It's possible some fantasy creation on Star Trek might have human-like feet, but what we see in the Patterson film too closely resembles a Sasquatch track to be a coincidence.
jerrywayne is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 04:33 AM   #2162
Drewbot
Philosopher

It would make sense that if the star trek suit was made from scratch, they would have put simple human like feet in it, especially if the shot list did not include any shots of the feet. Does anyone remember if the episode even showed the feet, or foot prints?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 09:33 AM   #2163
Vulture
New Blood

I skimmed through the episode online the other day and from what I could tell the creatures were barely shown at all. Like a good horror movie that barely shows the monster. Most of the shots I've seen online look like outtakes and or behind the scenes photos.

Most of the shots in the show were of the backside of the torso of the Taureans, and only quick glimpses.

I saw one gif that appeared to show a glance of the feet from behind but it looked like the creature was wearing boots.
Vulture is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 08:42 AM   #2164
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I saw one gif that appeared to show a glance of the feet from behind but it looked like the creature was wearing boots.
I wouldn't be surprised if they did have boots.

The Taureans aren't furry manlike creatures. They are manlike creatures wearing furry clothing.

If Patterson used a Taurean costume then it would require extensive modification because it was never used to depict a hairy hominoid (which is what a Bigfoot is) and instead was depicting a non-hairy hominoid wearing hairy clothing that it had made.

Putting that aside, the Taurean fur clothing is not a match for Patty. The Taureans wear dull brown fur.

Patty's fur is black and very glossy. This is actually unlike the common gorilla costumes of that era. The fur used in those costumes is not nearly as glossy. The Patty gloss is so extreme that sunlight is reflected to an extent where sections of the black fur appears white or grey.
Old 4th June 2019, 05:44 AM   #2165
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
I would think the Patterson film subject's feet were very much a creation of Patterson's. They were Sasquatch feet, the reason why Patterson had his subject sure to kick up his heels so the camera could catch a shot of the feet. Ape costumes have ape feet, not the pseudo human foot of Sasquatch lore. It's possible some fantasy creation on Star Trek might have human-like feet, but what we see in the Patterson film too closely resembles a Sasquatch track to be a coincidence.
Patterson's interest in Wallace and his stompers, all of the various castings he made, etc, that's what tells me that Roger was responsible for the feet, or at least for how the feet turned out.

I also think he didn't consider the fact that, years later, people would be able to analyze those feet in more detail.

The feet are where it started for Bigfoot, so Patterson knew that and he worked from that, building on what came before him, as he always did: Wallace, Roe, Ostman, etc.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 05:52 AM   #2166
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I skimmed through the episode online the other day and from what I could tell the creatures were barely shown at all. Like a good horror movie that barely shows the monster. Most of the shots I've seen online look like outtakes and or behind the scenes photos.

Most of the shots in the show were of the backside of the torso of the Taureans, and only quick glimpses.

Less is often more in those situations, and Roger was also well aware of that simple fact of the silver screen.

Patterson knew he couldn't fool everyone, he just had to fool enough people, and he knew that the best way to do that would be to make it as fleeting and as realistic as possible; in other words, a natural event that people could believe in.

He could've pretended as though they came upon the creature and observed it for a long period with the camera, like Marx and his movies, but then he'd be leaving himself open to more scrutiny.

By stumbling upon the "creature" in the distance near the creek, he has the perfect window for his story of being shocked, grabbing his camera, running towards it and having it notice him and begin to walk away, it's a perfectly natural event and it enables him to give the gee, I ran outta film excuse as well as to get the fleeting retreat of the monster which you see for a very short amount of time, meaning less time to scrutinize the costume.

Roger wasn't an idiot, but he also wasn't a genius. His plan had holes, and they're well known, but he still knew how to pull off this hoax and he also knew what he needed to do in order to achieve it. Less is more.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 04:48 PM   #2167
jerrywayne
Muse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckFU...Cq339-ZX9IU1fI
jerrywayne is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 10:15 AM   #2168
GT/CS
Illuminator

And he ignores the obvious horizon thigh crease.
Ah what the hell, he also ignores the sleeve/glove connection.
Sorry guys, I forgot what number I was supposed to use for the wrist band comments, but since Sweaty isnít here I guess it is a moot point.
Old 11th July 2019, 03:30 PM   #2169
DennyT
Illuminator

Can anyone source Patterson Gimlin saying they camped at Louse Camp?
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 10:04 AM   #2170
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
Can anyone source Patterson Gimlin saying they camped at Louse Camp?
I strongly doubt that either one of them specified that they camped at Louse Camp, or any other namesake site. If they had it would be a common citation and we just don't see that. What we see are people speculating and debating their camp location because it wasn't specified.
Old 13th July 2019, 03:03 PM   #2171
DennyT
Illuminator

Thanks WP. I agree.

Btw I am also looking for the identities of any person who has publicly claimed to be the guy in the suit. Other than Bob H . No Jerry Romney plz or Mrs Ray Wallace. Do not refer me to John Kirk, Darren Naish or Brian Dunning.
Thanks for playing You Bet Your Life —George Fenniman
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 03:46 PM   #2172
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Bob Heironimus is the only person who has claimed to be the guy in the suit. You will see some people say that many have made that claim but it isn't true.
Old 14th July 2019, 08:14 PM   #2173
DennyT
Illuminator

Thanks WP.
Heres another:
The people who claimed to see P and G at Bluff Creek? The Hookers? Were they for real?
Old 15th July 2019, 05:10 AM   #2174
Drewbot
Philosopher

Here's one.

Can anyone place Roger or BobG at Corriganville?

Where did that theory come from? Dfoot? Why did he think they worked there?

I asked the steward of Corriganville history if he had any record of them working there and he said no, but that his collection was incomplete.

Is there a photo showing either of them at Corriganville?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 06:59 PM   #2175
DennyT
Illuminator

I have looked at the Corriganville history as well and found nothing regarding Patterson. Gimlin was just Patterson’s fourth unpaid chauffeur. Chosen for his pliability and ownership of a horse-carrying truck. Rogers previous three (Rod Thornton to LA, Prentis Beck to British Columbia and Jerry Lee Merritt to LA ) got fed up after one long miserable unpaid trip. It took Gimlin two such trips (to Bluff Creek).

Last edited by DennyT; 15th July 2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 15th July 2019, 08:04 PM   #2176
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
Thanks WP. Heres another: The people who claimed to see P and G at Bluff Creek? The Hookers? Were they for real?
I'm not familiar with a story of "The Hookers" people seeing P&G at Bluff Creek.

Years ago there was a post on BFF concerning a guy who claimed to see P&G riding horses at Bluff Creek. IIRC, he said he was retired law enforcement. He saw the guys riding and he crouched behind bushes and watched them ride past. It seemed that his purpose for making the claim was to offer "proof" that there was no third person and therefore the PGF doesn't show a guy in a costume. But this story came out of the blue sky and nobody had ever heard of this guy before and not since either. We did discuss it briefly here. IMO, it's just another made up Bigfoot story. It doesn't sound legit at all.

I find it interesting that Lyle Laverty and his logging crew never saw P&G or their camp or that big truck they brought. To me it suggests that P&G probably lied about how long they camped. Their own stories differ with one guy saying they camped for a week and the other saying three weeks.

I think that they actively avoided being encountered by the logging crew and anyone else by greatly limiting the amount of time that they were there. My guess would be not much more than a few nights before pulling out. An encounter with a friendly and inquisitive logging crew might have caused trouble with their plans. Anyway, that encounter never happened.

Tell me about "The Hookers".
Old 17th July 2019, 02:04 PM   #2177
DennyT
Illuminator

I was told by a prominent Bigfoot historian that he recalled a man and wife named Hooker on horseback reportedly seeing them. Twice. He didn’t have a source.
The only other thing I can recall is that whoever claimed to have seen them was from Oroville CA.

I do somehow recall that “hiding behind a bush” thing.

They were as elusive as Bigfoot!

I do not necessarily trust Laverty’s statement that he was there on 19th or 20th. Workers like to pretend they were busy working.

But the boys were making themselves scarce. They made up a pack of lies to coverup their other lies and it is coming unraveled. Gimlin can’t even remember all of them. But others do. I kind of pity him. He keeps making the wrong choice year after year. Bob H got teased about being in the film just like Gimlin did. But Bob H was on the right side of the truth, his friends knew it; and Gimlin wasn’t. Almost lost his marriage and didn’t learn the lesson. And never will, I think. Can’t give up the adulation. Maybe he’s afraid of the bleevers. I would be.

Bill Munns says he videoed 4 hours of Gimlin, talking about his life and Bigfoot. What a legacy for your family. The Albert Ostman of our times.
Of course he’ll be vying with Meldrum and a couple others. Which reminds me you should grab an image of Jeff with his 8 ft skeleton for the resource thread/posterity. Imho. Someday it will be like photos of people lined up to see the Cardiff Giant.

Last edited by DennyT; 17th July 2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 17th July 2019, 02:53 PM   #2178
DennyT
Illuminator

Bigfoot Film Journal p 13:
Murphy says they were observed “in the area twice by two members of a road building crew Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Hooker of Oroville”. He gives a footnote number but there are no footnotes.
Prolly these Hookers
Charlie O Hooker
Oroville, California
He died age 79
Doreen M Hooker
She’s 97
1864 Clark Rd, Oroville, CA; 2426 Wheelock Rd, Oroville, CA; Po Box 114, Hoopa, CA
So they were prolly in the area. I called her no but the voicemail was full. Dead end I think.
No hooker jokes please.

Here’s Meldrum in one for the ages:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/boingbo...hetic.html/amp

Last edited by DennyT; 17th July 2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 17th July 2019, 05:23 PM   #2179
DennyT
Illuminator

These are the folks responsible for the famous Hooker photographs taken on Onion Mountain in August 1967.
Old 18th July 2019, 10:27 AM   #2180
DennyT
Illuminator

It appears Doreen M. Hooker died aound 2002 and her photos of the August 1967 Onion Mountain tracks surfaced a few years later. These images clearly implicate Ray Wallace as the track maker. John Green drove down to see the tracks bringing a tracking dog. A week or so later Wallace made the Blue Creek Mountain tracks, found on Aug 28, the day after Green returned to Harrison Hot Springs. Green flew down to see, again bringing the tracking dog seen in various images. Willow Creek merchant Al Hodgson called Roger Patterson’s contact number (I doubt he had a phone) on Labor Day weekend, after Green had departed, to notify him of the latest tracks.

Ray had moved to Toledo WA years earlier but is known to have attended the annual Labor Day Bigfoot Daze in Willow Creek every year, hawking his Bigfoot wares. His brother Shorty moved away in early 1968, and the Wallace involvement in Bigfoot there seems to have ended.

Last edited by DennyT; 18th July 2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 18th July 2019, 12:10 PM   #2181
DennyT
Illuminator

Patterson had at some point asked Hodgson to call him when tracks were found. Perhaps during RPs trip to LA in July. But apparently no call was made when the Onion Mountain tracks were found. Al may have forgotten about Roger, or possibly he did not find out about the Onion Mtn tracks until later. Green was being secretive about the track finds, coordinating with Bud Ryerson and Buds wife.

Patterson and DeAtley had visited Wallace in Toledo WA at some point, and Wallace had, I am informed, directed him to the Blue Creek mountain road to find tracks.

Whether Patterson and Wallace had coordinated we will never know but one might imagine a call from Patterson to Wallace at Shorty’s house in Willow Creek on August 26
“hey they didnt call me about those tracks on Onion Mountain!”
“ Ok I’ll go back out this weekend and make some on Blue Creek Mountain, and make sure Hodgson finds out about them. “

Last edited by DennyT; 18th July 2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 18th July 2019, 12:33 PM   #2182
DennyT
Illuminator

The Patterson DeAtley visit to Wallace was probably in May of 1967 after Patterson ran out of money to pay Fred Smith the cameraman for the spring footage. I think that pro footage convinced DeAtley to get on board. Prior to that Roger had very little that would have convinced DeAtley, who was pretty hardheaded by all accounts. If Fred Smith used a newsreel camera from KIMA tv it would have been an Auricon 16 mm sound camera, an expensive item. Wallace had one and Patterson offered to rent it. Wallace said no, at which point imho RP non-rented the K 100 used for the PGF in October.

Last edited by DennyT; 18th July 2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 18th July 2019, 12:35 PM   #2183
Drewbot
Philosopher

Well we know Wallace described helping people find the beasts for their movies.
He even admits to Roger and Al Deatley coming to visit him.

In this post is the actual letter http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=2970
Old 19th July 2019, 08:32 AM   #2184
DennyT
Illuminator

The bleevers swallow the story that Patterson came down to Bluff Creek to film tracks. Green, by comparison, filmed tracks by getting in his van and driving down immediately. He didn’t need horses and a Gimlin and a cameraman like Jerry Lee Merritt. Then the next time tracks were found he immediately flew down. Patterson on the other hand supposedly did nothing for a month or longer (depending on which lie you choose) after being notified.
And of course Patterson had all kinds of opportunities to film tracks much closer to home.

Last edited by DennyT; 19th July 2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM   #2185
DennyT
Illuminator

Stop me if you’ve heard this one...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal