ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th July 2019, 12:05 AM   #361
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Sorry, but no. This soil has been tilled so often that it's sort of amazing to find it still productive.

Here is a book recommendation from way back in the day.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi..._on_the_Fringe

Let me know if you find anything new under the sun.
No, you are wrong. The alt-right radicalization pipeline is fairly recent and people who point it out are still facing outright denial, even among people who should damn well know better - see this thread for example.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 12:07 AM   #362
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
Good job side stepping everything I wrote and posting a video from a year ago you actually believe makes a case, for.. something?
It's context. It demonstrates the fact that these clashes have a lot of history behind them, and that what happened to Andy Ngo wasn't all that bad when you take into account what his friends have done.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 12:10 AM   #363
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I think in the long run that normalizing violence in politics will favor the fascists.
I disagree. Leftists not engaging in this sort of violence only means they become victims, because the right sure as hell won't stop. Doesn't stop them winning elections either, so that excuse is right out the window.

Old 4th July 2019, 12:12 AM   #364
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Wanting and actually doing are two different things. Meanwhile we have an influential group of progressives getting cozy with Islam. They push terms like Islamophobia into law, attempting to make it so we can't even question the religion. They push for immigrants to bring their home life/beliefs to the West rather than assimilation. That same home life and beliefs where people not only want all gays dead, they act on them by throwing them off buildings. What a world we live in.
Who's doing this?

And why is it wrong to allow people to bring their culture to a multi-cultural melting pot? That's how it's always been. Why should muslims be excluded?

Old 4th July 2019, 04:14 AM   #365
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I disagree. Leftists not engaging in this sort of violence only means they become victims
Yeah, no. That's really not what's going on, at all. Antifa isn't actually protecting anyone from anything. Certainly no one was protected from violence by beating up Andy Ngo.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 04:52 AM   #366
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Andy Ngo must be stopped by all means necessary
Old 4th July 2019, 05:08 AM   #367
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Not related to the attack on Andy Ngo, but Snopes has a fact check about a different altercation at the same protest:

Was an ‘Elderly Man’ Beaten While Trying to Help a ‘Man in a Sundress’ in Portland?
Old 4th July 2019, 05:12 AM   #368
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

One more from Snopes:

Did Milkshakes Thrown in Portland Protests Contain Cement?
Old 4th July 2019, 05:48 AM   #369
Giz
Philosopher

And why is it wrong to allow people to bring their culture to a multi-cultural melting pot? That's how it's always been. Why should muslims be excluded?
Surely it depends on what cultural practices are imported? One can presumably be worried about honor killings, homophobia etc?
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 06:38 AM   #370
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Statement from Rose City Antifa about the event.

https://rosecityantifa.org/articles/june-29-statement/

Old 4th July 2019, 06:51 AM   #371
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Not related to the attack on Andy Ngo, but Snopes has a fact check about a different altercation at the same protest:

Was an ‘Elderly Man’ Beaten While Trying to Help a ‘Man in a Sundress’ in Portland?
Comprehensively covered from every angle and side in this very thread.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 06:53 AM   #372
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Surely it depends on what cultural practices are imported? One can presumably be worried about honor killings, homophobia etc?
Careful.....

Nuance doesn't go down well with some.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 06:54 AM   #373
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Careful.....

Nuance doesn't go down well with some.
Nuance works fine.

How about this: We disallow all practices that would be illegal under domestic law?

I don't think anyone has ever asked for anything more than that.

Old 4th July 2019, 07:04 AM   #374
bluesjnr

Statement from Rose City Antifa about the event.

https://rosecityantifa.org/articles/june-29-statement/
I don't understand this statement.

Quote:
"On June 29, 2019, Andy Ngo tried a repeat of his actions on May 1, 2019– to film the actions of armed men on a mission to attack activists, to be used for propaganda purposes."
Who are the armed men being referred to?

Is it RCA openly stating that they were armed with the intention to attack activists or the other way round?

If it is the former then wouldn't the active suppression of the reporting of such physical attacks be something one would would find in a fascist or communist state?
Old 4th July 2019, 07:05 AM   #375
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

The Proud Boys and Patriot Prayer guys. They were armed.

Is it RCA openly stating that they were armed with the intention to attack activists or the other way round?
The fascists were armed, obviously.

If it is the former then wouldn't the active suppression of the reporting of such physical attacks be something one would would find in a fascist or communist state?
Wut?

Old 4th July 2019, 07:08 AM   #376
bluesjnr

Nuance works fine.

How about this: We disallow all practices that would be illegal under domestic law?

Why didn't you say as much in your response to Bouncing Betty?
Old 4th July 2019, 07:12 AM   #377
bluesjnr

The Proud Boys and Patriot Prayer guys. They were armed.
Why would Ngo want to create propaganda about them beating up activists? Doesn't he support them?

Quote:
The fascists were armed, obviously.
Yes, as were many A(a)ntifa, so who was Ngo intending on besmirching with his film?

Quote:
Wut?
I, literally, could not have put it better myself.
Old 4th July 2019, 07:13 AM   #378
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Why didn't you say as much in your response to Bouncing Betty?
Why should I have to answer a post that came later in my post to Bouncing Betty?

Old 4th July 2019, 07:14 AM   #379
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Why would Ngo want to create propaganda about them beating up activists? Doesn't he support them?
Yes he does. If you read the statement you would know the answer to this question.

Yes, as were many A(a)ntifa, so who was Ngo intending on besmirching with his film?
Read the statement.

Old 4th July 2019, 07:18 AM   #380
d4m10n
Illuminator

Glad to hear we've not yet reached the caustic-substance-attacks phase of the revolution.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 07:28 AM   #381
bluesjnr

Yes he does. If you read the statement you would know the answer to this question.

Read the statement.
Right.. got it.

I just couldn't understand it after the first coupla passes.

Just to check I've got it right. He went to film the far right groups attacking peaceful, I assume, "activists" so that he could subsequently propagandize this action by hopefully finding a victim or two who had carried out some nefarious act on behalf of activists previously. Once identified, he would profit by appearing on national media and doxxing and harassing said victims. He was, for a given value of successfully, successfully shut down.

Assuming I've unravelled this correctly, the players on either side of this sideshow have got be the biggest ******* dickheads in the US and elsewhere currently. What a ******* joke.
Old 4th July 2019, 07:32 AM   #382
bluesjnr

Why should I have to answer a post that came later in my post to Bouncing Betty?
Well, it was part of a response to a response that you were involved in and might have shown a willingness to debate honestly rather than hint "why do you hate muslims".
Old 4th July 2019, 08:13 AM   #383
sadhatter
Philosopher

Nuance works fine.

Like assault not in self defense?

I agree ship the Antifa folks somewhere.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 10:04 AM   #384
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The "armed men" presumably refers to the antifa guys and "activists" would be the proud boys??
Old 4th July 2019, 10:42 AM   #385
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Attacking journalists is a feature of antifa, not a bug
https://jessesingal.substack.com/p/i...-a-debate-over
Quote:
Taylor Lorenz, a journalist for The Hill, was punched in the side of the head while live-streaming the aftermath of a fatal attack on anti-fascist protesters in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Quote:
Dave Minsky — an independent journalist and photographer who freelances for Reuters, Vice, the Miami New Times and the Santa Barbara News-Press — was beaten by masked protesters on August 27, 2017, while covering an anti-fascist protest in Berkeley, California
Quote:
A CBS 6 photojournalist had to be taken to the emergency room after he was struck in the back of the head by an anti-fascist protester, the channel reported on August 13, 2017.
Quote:
A reporter for local North Carolina TV station WLOS was assaulted while live-streaming a peaceful anti-racist demonstration in Asheville, North Carolina, on August 13, 2017.
Quote:
Mike Kessler was covering a demonstration in Berkeley, California, when a group of protesters stole his camera and phone and attempted to break them.
Quote:
Leigh Martinez, a freelance reporter for KTVU, was covering an anti-fascist protest in Berkeley, California, on August 27, 2017
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 12:23 PM   #386
portlandatheist
Illuminator

A second 2020 democratic hopeful, Eric Swalwell, has condemned the attacks:
Quote:
I don’t agree with much of what @MrAndyNgo ever says. But that’s not the point. He should not be harmed for his views and his attackers should be prosecuted. *And Congress should pass my Journalist Protection Act, which makes it a federal crime to assault or batter a journalist.
Sadly, it seems like we need a Journalist Protection Act.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 01:51 PM   #387
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Yeah, no. That's really not what's going on, at all. Antifa isn't actually protecting anyone from anything. Certainly no one was protected from violence by beating up Andy Ngo.

You're definitely wrong about that. And artificially restricting the context to one single person is a logical fallacy when the issue is far larger than one alt.right propagandist.

On America's Streets, Antifa's Militant Anti-fascism Isn't Terrorism - It's Self-defense

Excerpt:
Quote:
As a sociologist, I have been formally studying militant anti-fascism for well over a decade. In this formal research, I interviewed both militant and non-militant anti-fascist activists and conducted ethnographic research with formal antifa groups. I have spent time in meetings, observing activism, and engaging in the culture of anti-fascism.

What I found in my interviews and experiences is that militant anti-fascists experience tangible and immediate threats from fascists and respond out of a practical need to defend themselves from those threats.

For most people, fascist activism and organizing are abstractions removed from their daily lives; images on television and news reports, cartoonish villains. For the antifa activists whom I researched, fascists represented an intense and immediate threat.

Many militant anti-fascists become involved in this form of activism because aspects of their identity are directly targeted by fascist violence; they are queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, people of color, Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, and certainly identified in ways that intersected across these categories.

For them, anti-fascism was a means of ensuring their safety from a movement that threatens their very existence and venerates violence as the highest form of action. Even the antifa activists who identify as cis heterosexual white males are the targets of fascist violence as "race" and "gender" traitors.

It's easy to dismiss direct action against fascists when you're not the ones they're targeting for assault and murder.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 02:09 PM   #388
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
You're definitely wrong about that. And artificially restricting the context to one single person is a logical fallacy when the issue is far larger than one alt.right propagandist.

On America's Streets, Antifa's Militant Anti-fascism Isn't Terrorism - It's Self-defense

Excerpt:

It's easy to dismiss direct action against fascists when you're not the ones they're targeting for assault and murder.
Unbelievable. Sucker punching a gay minority with weaponized gloves is an act of "self defense"
Old 4th July 2019, 02:09 PM   #389
bluesjnr

The "armed men" presumably refers to the antifa guys and "activists" would be the proud boys??
Correct.
Old 4th July 2019, 02:17 PM   #390
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Unbelievable. Sucker punching a gay minority with weaponized gloves is an act of "self defense"
Please articulate your disagreement.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 02:29 PM   #391
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Portland Police released photos and are asking the public for help identifying the suspects for assault and robbery
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/polic....cfm?id=250045
Old 4th July 2019, 02:48 PM   #392
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

I disagree. Leftists not engaging in this sort of violence only means they become victims, because the right sure as hell won't stop. Doesn't stop them winning elections either, so that excuse is right out the window.
Leftists don't defend themselves. Leftists aren't victims. Leftists engage in violence because their ideology requires them to engage in violence. Killing millions of my fellow citizens cannot happen without violence and killing billions of my fellow citizens is the heart and soul of socialist philosophy--it's what socialism is all about. That is why demonstrations where antifa show up always end in bloodshed.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 03:03 PM   #393
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Right.. got it.

I just couldn't understand it after the first coupla passes.

Just to check I've got it right. He went to film the far right groups attacking peaceful, I assume, "activists" so that he could subsequently propagandize this action by hopefully finding a victim or two who had carried out some nefarious act on behalf of activists previously. Once identified, he would profit by appearing on national media and doxxing and harassing said victims. He was, for a given value of successfully, successfully shut down.

Assuming I've unravelled this correctly, the players on either side of this sideshow have got be the biggest ******* dickheads in the US and elsewhere currently. What a ******* joke.
That's pretty much what I figured from the statement, and I agree wholeheartedly with your conclusion.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 03:19 PM   #394
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Seems to me that fascists, whether left or right, are always able to paint themselves as perpetual victims and their violence as self defense.
Old 4th July 2019, 03:29 PM   #395
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
What absolute rubbish. Aggressors justify their aggression by claiming that it's actually "self defense". They seek out these conflicts and instigate them. What they don't seem to understand is that their own actions, their own "resistance" fuels the very thing they claim to oppose. You think attacking Andy Ngo was a propaganda victory for antifa or for the so-called fascists?
Old 4th July 2019, 07:20 PM   #396
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

For the record, I support ANTIFA both implicitly and explicitly. Carry on.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 07:29 PM   #397
d4m10n
Illuminator

For the record, I oppose mob violence by both left-wing and right-wing groups. Carry on.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 08:03 PM   #398
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Who's doing this?

So you support executing gay men and women by throwing them off tall buildings?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 08:07 PM   #399
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Honor killings, subjugating women, mutilating genitalia, homophobia, hell, even human sacrifice must be celebrated in a multicultural utiopia. Only small minded bigots would disagree.
Old 4th July 2019, 08:10 PM   #400
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
For the record, I support ANTIFA both implicitly and explicitly. Carry on.
For the record, Travis supports the murder of trillions of my fellow citizens

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events