ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 20th December 2018, 05:28 AM   #2001
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
These are the facts and none of the parties to the case dispute them.
Dude, the line is "These are the facts of the case, and they are undisputed."

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 05:33 AM   #2002
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
as we found out with truthers, questions ARE accusations.
You stared too long into the abyss.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 05:36 AM   #2003
Belz...
Fiend God

Judges are not above the law.

Judges should not be making stuff up in order to jaq off
What part of "he asked the prosecution this question in order to determine exactly how the actual charges relate to potential charges" do you not understand? What exactly do you need explained to you?

I'd pay some real money to see you take off the partisan hat for a few days just to know what you really think.

Old 20th December 2018, 05:37 AM   #2004
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Technically, the only reason why Flynn didn't commit treason is because the US didn't declare the Russian attack on the elections an Act of War.
The same behavior would have been treasonous if the administration had adopted a different posture.
Yes, the very specific, narrow definition of Treason makes it an unlikely charge. What the judge should have said was traitor, which is general and describes Flynn's various criminal actions pretty well.

Flynn is getting a sweetheart deal. If he can plead out all his double dealing down to lying to the FBI with a 6 month sentence (or less), he has done very well for himself. Seems to me the judge is a bit shocked with the great deal he is getting from Mueller, since the judge has confidential knowledge to the full extent of this traitorous ways.

Popehat summed it up pretty well in that podcast: "First Rat gets the most cheese". Flynn flipped early and is a big time player, so he got a great deal for what is surely extremely damning cooperation against others.
Old 20th December 2018, 05:39 AM   #2005
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Just listened to that very informative podcast.

The difference between a real lawyer and a cargo-cult lawyer (as exemplified in this thread) is very stark.

One has a thorough understanding of the theory and practice of the criminal law, the other knows some of the legalese and can look up various statutes on the 'net but completely lacks the background knowledge to piece things together. Sad.
Reminds me of the difference between woo-woos, creationists and conspiracy theorists who know just enough stuff to piece together nonsense arguments, while getting demolished by people who actually know their stuff, but not realising it.

Old 20th December 2018, 05:48 AM   #2006
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Reminds me of the difference between woo-woos, creationists and conspiracy theorists who know just enough stuff to piece together nonsense arguments, while getting demolished by people who actually know their stuff, but not realising it.
Popehat is great. He's a steady hand at the wheel while the waves of wishful thinking come crashing down. Be warned though, he is equally deflating for left-wing wishful thinking as he is for right wing. If you want to hear that Mueller is going to kick in the white house door and drag Trump out by his hairpiece, Ken's not your man.

As time goes on and things continue to get more desperate for the MAGA boys, I think poor Ken is going to have a lot of work cut out for him debunking all these legal "experts" in the right wing media.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 20th December 2018 at 06:00 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 06:09 AM   #2007
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Popehat summed it up pretty well in that podcast: "First Rat gets the most cheese". Flynn flipped early and is a big time player, so he got a great deal for what is surely extremely damning cooperation against others.
Which, again, is why it's so very, very strange that Trump-supporters have chosen him as a hill to die on.
Old 20th December 2018, 06:19 AM   #2008
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Which, again, is why it's so very, very strange that Trump-supporters have chosen him as a hill to die on.
Probably because he knows enough to really screw Trump. Him cooperating is a disaster and any moonshot that gets him out of Mueller's hands is worth it.

Probably too late at this point though, as he has been cooperating for a good while now.

Also, Flynn Jr. is a pretty prominent far right conspiracy monger. This case hits right into the heart of Q country and brings out the nuttiest of the nuts.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 20th December 2018 at 06:21 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 06:39 AM   #2009
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Is popehat one person? I thought it was more than one.
Old 20th December 2018, 06:42 AM   #2010
Dragon
Graduate Poster

Exactly - I was thinking of Richard Feynman's use of the phrase 'cargo cult science'.
Edited by Agatha:  Removed personalisation

Last edited by Agatha; 22nd December 2018 at 05:34 AM.
Dragon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 06:42 AM   #2011
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Is popehat one person? I thought it was more than one.
Ken White is the blog owner and primary writer. There are other regular guest writers over the years, but mostly I only ever see Ken or Marc Randazza as authors these days. Ken White solely controls the Popehat twitter, which is great for small snippets of analysis, he is a co-host of a Trump legal trouble podcast (All the president's lawyers), and frequently appears as a legal expert in other publications.

Ken's guest writers have a funny habit of becoming disgusting far-right monsters. While Ken seems to be able to stay on the straight and narrow road of libertarianism, other writers seem to slide into far-right monstrosity eventually. I wonder how much longer before Marc pulls a full "Clark" and goes off into the deep end of alt-right nonsense.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 20th December 2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 20th December 2018, 07:09 AM   #2012
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah "Popehat" is technically several people, but it's more or less used synonymously with Ken White because he writes by far the most under that name and is most closely associated with it.
Old 20th December 2018, 07:16 AM   #2013
The Big Dog
Suspended

The third most ridiculous thing is that people believe that the incoming NSA reaching out to foreign countries on the eve of the inauguration was improper.

The second is the judge spewed the word treason into the sentencing hearing on insignificant process violations.

Edited by Agatha:  Removed personalisation

Justice for Flynn!

Last edited by Agatha; 22nd December 2018 at 05:34 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 07:19 AM   #2014
Belz...
Fiend God

Justice for Flynn!
I'm sure by now you realise that you just sound very desperate to the rest of us, right?

Old 20th December 2018, 07:24 AM   #2015
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

The third most ridiculous thing is that people believe that the incoming NSA reaching out to foreign countries on the eve of the inauguration was improper.

The second is the judge spewed the word treason into the sentencing hearing on insignificant process violations.

The first is that people think they are getting the best of TBD in this thread.

Oh well, keep up the funnies and TBD will keep knocking them down.

Justice for Flynn!
The source that you repeatedly cite for legal expertise says that people who foist the goofy things that you foist are complete buffoons.
Old 20th December 2018, 07:25 AM   #2016
Tolls
Illuminator

Justice for Flynn!
Inside job!
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 07:45 AM   #2017
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
And what about WTC 7? He said "Pull it!"

The parallels are striking.
Old 20th December 2018, 07:47 AM   #2018
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I’d say it’s more like the “Free Mumia” conspiracy idiots.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 07:47 AM   #2019
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I would also recommend the newest "Trumpcast" podcast, which has similar comments on the judge's actions. (ETA - it's not linked yet, but the title is 'foxhole in the cyber war') Their take was that the judge was a bit incredulous that the NSA sold out his country, and the prosecution was looking for a non-custodial sentence. Hence the request for 302's and to see what the cooperation was. Like - why are you giving this traitor a slap on the wrist?

As we suddenly and without forethought pull troops out of Syria, giving both the Turks and the Russians a foreign policy win, feel free to think about what Trump's people like Flynn were up to in 2016. Anyone remember the Turks beating up protestors on American soil without consequence?

Last edited by carlitos; 20th December 2018 at 07:49 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 07:48 AM   #2020
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Inside job!
Interesting theory. Many thoughtful commentators are wondering if this was the first time in history that there was resistance from the outgoing administration to the new. Did obama weaponize the fbi and others to try to overturn the new? Is obama the traitor? Well i am not going to there, that is between obama and his god, allah.

However if you want to, make your case.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 07:50 AM   #2021
carlitos
"más divertido"

Feel free to make this thread more readable for those of us interested in the topic, by not replying to every troll comment.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 07:54 AM   #2022
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
And what about WTC 7? He said "Pull it!"

The parallels are striking.
Flynn wasn't hit by a plane either !
Old 20th December 2018, 07:57 AM   #2023
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Flynn wasn't hit by a plane either !
Yes, but God knows what super-seekret tools the Deep StateTM has. They probably can use nano-thermite to turn loyalists into rats and fine judges into crazy ones.
Old 20th December 2018, 07:59 AM   #2024
plague311
Great minds think...

Interesting theory. Many thoughtful commentators are wondering if this was the first time in history that there was resistance from the outgoing administration to the new. Did obama weaponize the fbi and others to try to overturn the new? Is obama the traitor? Well i am not going to there, that is between obama and his god, allah.

However if you want to, make your case.
Yeah...I like the point you're making here.

The people pleading guilty aren't the criminals, everyone BUT those people are the criminals.

Nice.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 08:01 AM   #2025
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Flynn was secretly accepting money from a foreign country to lobby on their behalf while working for Trump's transition team on national security issues. You consider that a "process violation?"
Old 20th December 2018, 08:02 AM   #2026
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Yeah...I like the point you're making here.

The people pleading guilty aren't the criminals, everyone BUT those people are the criminals.

Nice.
Allah. 《Snort》

Now it's just blatant trigger-seeking.
Old 20th December 2018, 08:10 AM   #2027
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
He said "Pull it!"
He really should have recused himself from that demolition.
I Am The Scum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 08:17 AM   #2028
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Well i am not going to there, that is between obama and his god, allah.
Oh, you card!
Old 20th December 2018, 08:18 AM   #2029
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Feel free to make this thread more readable for those of us interested in the topic, by not replying to every troll comment.
I agree, and have taken the pledge.
Old 20th December 2018, 08:20 AM   #2030
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I keep marveling on how Flynn so thoroughly trashed his reputation.

Decades of hard work to become a senior Army officer and head of the DIA. No one will remember him for that very enviable career.

He'll be remembered as the guy who became crooked as a screw after being dumped by Obama and then squealing his way out of a long prison sentence when he got caught up in the most flagrantly criminal administration in this country's history. That's one hell of a legacy you goth there, Flynn.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 20th December 2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 20th December 2018, 08:29 AM   #2031
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Dude, the line is "These are the facts of the case, and they are undisputed."
Thanks Jack.
Old 20th December 2018, 08:36 AM   #2032
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Allah. 《Snort》

Now it's just blatant trigger-seeking.
It's all about trying to 'trigger' and upset the 'leftists'.

Let lying dogs sleep.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 08:43 AM   #2033
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I keep marveling on how Flynn so thoroughly trashed his reputation.

Decades of hard work to become a senior Army officer and head of the DIA. No one will remember him for that very enviable career.

He'll be remembered as the guy who became crooked as a screw after being dumped by Obama and then squealing his way out of a long prison sentence when he got caught up in the most flagrantly criminal political corruption case in this country's history. That's one hell of a legacy you goth there, Flynn.
His reputation was already bad by the time Obama fired him. I've been wondering if there is some form of mild dementia or a brain tumor involved here.

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 08:47 AM   #2034
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
Flynn was secretly accepting money from a foreign country to lobby on their behalf while working for Trump's transition team on national security issues. You consider that a "process violation?"
As previously shown, the assertion that Flynn was secretly doing anything against the interests of the United states is false: he registered in FULL compliance with the LDA, end of story.

Next, the assertion that he was working for Turkey while on the transition team is likewise false, and although recklessly raised by Sullivan this week, guy on Mueller's team admitted it was false AND Sullivan walked back that comment and said he regretted making it.

I wonder if the people who have repeated that lie will ever show regret?
Old 20th December 2018, 08:50 AM   #2035
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"Justice for Flynn" would result him dying in prison.

I've seen some say Trump hired Flynn in spite of Obama having fired him and warned Trump against him. They've got it wrong. Trump hired him BECAUSE of that.
Old 20th December 2018, 08:50 AM   #2036
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
His reputation was already bad by the time Obama fired him. I've been wondering if there is some form of mild dementia or a brain tumor involved here.
Yes, the "Flynn Facts". Still though, traitor is a much worse legacy than kook that got fired for being an unapologetic kook.
Old 20th December 2018, 08:56 AM   #2037
Belz...
Fiend God

Is obama the traitor? Well i am not going to there, that is between obama and his god, allah.
Well at least here we know you're not being serious.

.... I presume.

Old 20th December 2018, 08:57 AM   #2038
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Thanks Jack.
You're a lousy softball player, Kaffee!

Old 20th December 2018, 08:57 AM   #2039
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
I was wondering whether Flynn Sr. was unduly influenced by Mike Jr.'s wacky paranoia or was it the other way around. Flynn Sr. likely did this deal and cooperated to keep his son out of trouble. Remember the kid had an email address with the transition team and they had asked for him to have a security clearance. Flynn Jr. is a full-on pizzagate / Alex Jones nutbag, who is still tweeting MAGA stuff today.
Old 20th December 2018, 08:57 AM   #2040
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

As previously shown, the assertion that Flynn was secretly doing anything against the interests of the United states is false: he registered in FULL compliance with the LDA, end of story.

Next, the assertion that he was working for Turkey while on the transition team is likewise false, and although recklessly raised by Sullivan this week, guy on Mueller's team admitted it was false AND Sullivan walked back that comment and said he regretted making it.

I wonder if the people who have repeated that lie will ever show regret?
He registered months after he started... and after he was caught.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics