IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Lauren Boebert , Marjorie Taylor Greene

Old 2nd February 2021, 11:19 PM   #401
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
lindsey Graham "I rode down with her going to GA. Had a very pleasant experience. I want to hear from her. Before I want to judge what to do about her I want to know what the facts are. If these are not accurate postings they've been manipulated, I'd like to know that.

Reporter: She’s on video.

Graham "She’ll have to tell me is it accurate, I dunno, I haven’t seen the video, what’s accurate, what’s not. What position do you have today. And if your position is different today why?"

Vid in link
https://twitter.com/alanhe/status/1356665020554366978
Another top quality senator declined to comment on the stuff she’s been saying because travelling in winter means you can’t keep up with current affairs.

Originally Posted by Tommy Tuberville
Travel in this weather it's been a little rough looking at any news or whatever.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tommy...b684e5709df7cb
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:03 AM   #402
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Parker Molloy
@ParkerMolloy

5h
Replying to
@ParkerMolloy
Tuberville has to be one of the dumbest people to ever hold elected office. Can’t believe there are people who voted for that dope over the guy who famously prosecuted the Birmingham church bombing.
I think I see the problem: it's Alabama.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 02:27 AM   #403
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Parker Molloy
@ParkerMolloy

5h
Replying to
@ParkerMolloy
Tuberville has to be one of the dumbest people to ever hold elected office. Canít believe there are people who voted for that dope over the guy who famously prosecuted the Birmingham church bombing.
IMO, its a close run thing between he and Louis Gohmert!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 02:40 AM   #404
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
Another top quality senator declined to comment on the stuff she’s been saying because travelling in winter means you can’t keep up with current affairs.

When the Pony Express is struggling you cant blame the politicians, not like there is some magic invisible instantaneous way for news to be distributed!
Old 3rd February 2021, 07:15 AM   #405
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Can't help wondering what she thinks about gay people.
Mealy mouthed. She doesn't advocate death camps (yet) but wants to remove protections and is more subtle in her homphobia then her various other prejudices. She's violently transphobic, managing to hate and fear transfolk (a drag was described by her as "an abomination) while also denying they exist.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:26 AM   #406
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
Another top quality senator declined to comment on the stuff sheís been saying because travelling in winter means you canít keep up with current affairs.

That rockets him to first place on my unintentionally hilarious acts of cowardice scorecard.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:20 AM   #407
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

House is going to vote tomorrow to bounce her from the committees* she's been assigned to.

*not sure if she's on more committees than just the education committee; not interested enough to look it up.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:40 AM   #408
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
House is going to vote tomorrow to bounce her from the committees* she's been assigned to.

*not sure if she's on more committees than just the education committee; not interested enough to look it up.
Budget committee as well.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:27 PM   #409
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

But then how will Americas children learn about Jewish space lasers? Clearly fighting those was the true purpose of spaceforce!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 02:03 PM   #410
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Huge failure of leadership by McCarthy.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 03:19 PM   #411
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

McCarthy just announced there will be no actions against Green.
Man, the Dems laid a trap for him and the fool walked right into it.Now the GOP must won Jewish Space Lasers.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 03:32 PM   #412
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The GOP wants a compromise, what's wrong with those Democrats they won't compromise on someone who threatened to or agreed with other people who threatened to kill Democratic legislators.

POLITICO Playbook PM: Hoyer to McCarthy: No deal on QAnon congresswoman
Quote:
During a private phone call around lunch time, House Majority Leader STENY HOYER rejected Minority Leader KEVIN MCCARTHY’S proposal to remove the QAnon supporter from only one of her two committee posts. As we first reported this morning, McCarthy was making a last-ditch attempt to stave off a floor vote that would force the GOP to go on record about the Georgia Republican’s fate.

Still, the offer wasn’t exactly appealing: We hear that McCarthy insisted that if Democrats removed Greene from the Education and Labor panel, Republicans would want to put her on another committee. No wonder Hoyer said no....
They all do it, of course, those Democrats are the same...
Quote:
Republicans, our Democratic sources tell us, didn’t help their case when they started threatening retaliation against Democratic members. Rep. BRIAN BABIN (R-Texas) on Tuesday proposed removing Rep. ILHAN OMAR (D-Minn.) from the committee on foreign affairs, presumably because of her past statements about Israel and American Jews. This angered Democratic leaders.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 05:07 PM   #413
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I think I see the problem: it's Alabama.
Well Tommy did win the SEC championship while head coach of Auburn, and you know how they love their football down in 'Bama.

He might keep up with events better if he'd watch something besides ESPN and the SEC Network.
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 05:21 PM   #414
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BazBear View Post
Well Tommy did win the SEC championship while head coach of Auburn, and you know how they love their football down in 'Bama.

He might keep up with events better if he'd watch something besides ESPN and the SEC Network.
I think Tommy got hit in the head by an errant football one too many times.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 06:27 PM   #415
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Rick Wilson ,LIncoln Project leader, just said on CNN that Taylor Green is now the effective leader of the Republicans in the houst, and that democrates should be popping open the champagne at that prospect.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd February 2021, 08:08 PM   #416
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The QOP actually stood and applauded for MTG. They make no attempt to even hide their bigotry any more. Unbelievable.
Old 3rd February 2021, 08:30 PM   #417
portlandatheist
Illuminator

This CNN article nails it
Quote:
He is paralyzed into indecision because a) he doesn't want to lose the Party's big-dollar donors (the vast majority of which side with McConnell and against Greene) and b) he knows that a sizable chunk of his House conference is more in line, ideologically and tonally, with Greene than with McConnell or Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney.
McCarthy needs the major donors to finance the 2022 midterm campaign that he hopes will return Republicans to the majority and propel him to the speaker job. And/but he needs the support of the Trump wing -- as represented by Greene -- in order to wind up as speaker, and not face a challenge from the likes of Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio or some other Trumpy Republican member.
And so, he didn't know which side to take. So he took neither. And in so doing, almost certainly pissed off both sides of the equation
McCarthy is a coward. There is clearly a schism in the party with orthodox Republicans like Cheney on one side, and Trumpers on the other and then there are those that try to play both sides like McCarthy and Cruz who will fail miserably. The only person that appears to have any competence at threading that needle seems to be Moscow Mitch
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 08:38 PM   #418
Mumbles
Philosopher

The GOP wants a compromise, what's wrong with those Democrats they won't compromise on someone who threatened to or agreed with other people who threatened to kill Democratic legislators.

POLITICO Playbook PM: Hoyer to McCarthy: No deal on QAnon congresswoman

They all do it, of course, those Democrats are the same...
Makes me wonder.

Um...what statements about American Jews? Only person I recall really being nasty towards them is Toupee Fiasco (naturally), who said that Benjamen Netenyahu was their prime minister.

Rep. Omar's criticised Israel's government, but she's done the same towards Saudi Arabia, China, and India as well. Likewise with anti-BDS laws (along with other actual 1st amendment issues) and AIPAC (as well as the NRA and oil lobbyists).
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 09:13 PM   #419
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
This CNN article nails it

McCarthy is a coward. There is clearly a schism in the party with orthodox Republicans like Cheney on one side, and Trumpers on the other and then there are those that try to play both sides like McCarthy and Cruz who will fail miserably. The only person that appears to have any competence at threading that needle seems to be Moscow Mitch

In a statement, Nancy Pelosi replaced McCarthy's R designation with Q.
Quote:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi referred to Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy as "McCarthy (Q-CA)" in a Wednesday press release as House Democrats seek to portray their Republican colleagues as beholden to adherents of the dangerous QAnon conspiracy theory.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world...B1dmIbn?pfr=1+
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 09:15 PM   #420
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Randy Rainbow on MTG. It's not positive.
Spektator is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 01:08 AM   #421
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Yup, nailed it.

That is some kind of brilliant
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 01:28 AM   #422
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Brilliant as usual!
Old 4th February 2021, 01:45 AM   #423
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

That will teach Liz Cheney to stay in line!
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 02:27 AM   #424
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
McCarthy just announced there will be no actions against Green.
Man, the Dems laid a trap for him and the fool walked right into it.Now the GOP must won Jewish Space Lasers.
Yes, and ?

As I see it, there really isn't a downside for the GOP to have MTG around. The leadership can make vague noises about not agreeing with her views but supporting her right to have them while she can rally support for the GOP from the QAnon crowd.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 05:32 AM   #425
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

"She makes Bachmann look like Mya Angelou"
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 07:38 AM   #426
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But then how will Americas children learn about Jewish space lasers? Clearly fighting those was the true purpose of spaceforce!
Fighting them?
They were created to service them.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 07:51 AM   #427
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
There is clearly a schism in the party with orthodox Republicans like Cheney on one side, and Trumpers on the other and then there are those that try to play both sides like McCarthy and Cruz who will fail miserably. The only person that appears to have any competence at threading that needle seems to be Moscow Mitch
I see a schism between the House Republicans (Q) and Senate Republicans (not-yet-Q) which I attribute to the Tea Party effect (much greater in the House). Moscow Mitch is doing the only thing he still knows how to - nothing.

I wonder how strong the Q's are in the State parties? The Republicans need to keep States so they can suppress the Dem vote.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 07:51 AM   #428
ToddH
Critical Thinker

Randy is a national treasure.
ToddH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 08:01 AM   #429
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
I see a schism between the House Republicans (Q) and Senate Republicans (not-yet-Q) which I attribute to the Tea Party effect (much greater in the House). Moscow Mitch is doing the only thing he still knows how to - nothing.

I wonder how strong the Q's are in the State parties? The Republicans need to keep States so they can suppress the Dem vote.
I wonder if the lad between House and Senate regarding Q (and previously the Tea Party) is that the Senate works on a longer time scale (6 years vs 2 years) and needs to appeal to a wider audience (a whole state vs a single rural district).

The Senate will start moving Q-wards in due course and it'll be a mainstream (if not majority) view in 10 years
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 09:00 AM   #430
TheSupermeerkat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

The Senate will start moving Q-wards in due course and it'll be a mainstream (if not majority) view in 10 years
Only some of Q surely, I can't imagine the cannibal pedophile stuff going mainstream.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 09:08 AM   #431
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I wonder if the lad between House and Senate regarding Q (and previously the Tea Party) is that the Senate works on a longer time scale (6 years vs 2 years) and needs to appeal to a wider audience (a whole state vs a single rural district).

You really think it will take that long? I'm just wondering when the political assassinations will start in earnest.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 09:10 AM   #432
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Only some of Q surely, I can't imagine the cannibal pedophile stuff going mainstream.
There are no limits anymore. This is internet fueled, flat earth occultist, fascism.
Old 4th February 2021, 09:10 AM   #433
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Never underestimate the stupidity and craziness of the population.
Old 4th February 2021, 09:26 AM   #434
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yes, and ?

As I see it, there really isn't a downside for the GOP to have MTG around. The leadership can make vague noises about not agreeing with her views but supporting her right to have them while she can rally support for the GOP from the QAnon crowd.
According to news reports on the matter, the Trump faction hurts GOP efforts to take back the House because of the suburban housewife vote.

The vote in the House for Cheney was 145 to 61. The Trump/crazy faction of the GOP is not as big as news coverage makes it seem.
Old 4th February 2021, 09:37 AM   #435
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

How many of your negative predictions have come true in the last year?

Trump is out.
He left DC.
You haven't had a correct prediction that I recall.

Now you say the Senate will move Q-ward while the vote in the House to support Cheney demonstrates the crazies are not in the majority even in the House.

I see a race between (fake ) news coverage that ironically over-represents the crazies and draws a lot of smaller donors, and the big donors who stay in the shadows and don't favor the QAnons. It's always about the money.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th February 2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old 4th February 2021, 09:41 AM   #436
Elvis666
Muse

"She's in hot wat-a
Cause she hasn't got a
Clue"

I wish I'd written that. Plus the genius of using "Evergreen" as the base.
Old 4th February 2021, 10:22 AM   #437
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

That is Q. And it stems from Pizzagate which was mainstream in the 2016 election. Look at polls about Q Anon now. A majority or Republicans right now think the whole thing might be true. Fully a third believe it's mostly true.

https://www.vox.com/2016/12/9/138983...book-fake-news

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9702261.html
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 10:26 AM   #438
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
That is Q. And it stems from Pizzagate which was mainstream in the 2016 election. Look at polls about Q Anon now. A majority or Republicans right now think the whole thing might be true. Fully a third believe it's mostly true.

https://www.vox.com/2016/12/9/138983...book-fake-news

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9702261.html
Exactly that is the core ideology. Yes you can have differences of opinion on if Antony Weiner had a video of Hillary Clinton cutting of a childs face and wearing it on his laptop, but the rape and eating of children is the basis of the belief.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 12:33 PM   #439
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I imagine the person(s) who originally started this Q nonsense thought to themselves, what is the most whackadoodle thing they could possibly get people to believe? I know, there's a secret cabal of pedophile politicians who eat babies.

Old 4th February 2021, 12:40 PM   #440
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Exactly that is the core ideology. Yes you can have differences of opinion on if Antony Weiner had a video of Hillary Clinton cutting of a childs face and wearing it on his laptop, but the rape and eating of children is the basis of the belief.

From your second link:
Quote:
More than a third of Republicans believe the QAnon conspiracy that Donald Trump is waging a secret war against a shadowy cabal of paedophile cannibals is "mostly true", according to a new poll released on Wednesday.

The increased support of QAnon comes less than two weeks after Mr Trump appeared to endorse the theory at a White House press conference, saying he appreciates the movement's enthusiasm for his presidency.

The Daily Kos/Civiqs poll found more than half of Republican voters believe the theory is either mostly (33 per cent) or partly (23 per cent) true, with only 13 per cent believing there is no truth to it at all.
How is this possible? This is wildly different from believing, say , "All politicians are crooks" or "Liberals wanna take your guns." This is genuine insanity. And where does it come from? Even Fox and the other right-wing media don't promote stuff like this. How does this take hold?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics