IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Lauren Boebert , Marjorie Taylor Greene

Old 4th February 2021, 01:06 PM   #441
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The QOP actually stood and applauded for MTG. They make no attempt to even hide their bigotry any more. Unbelievable.
it's disgusting, though I doubt it so much bigotry as pandering to the wackjob wing of the party. Though the practical effect is the same.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 01:10 PM   #442
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Yes, and ?

As I see it, there really isn't a downside for the GOP to have MTG around. The leadership can make vague noises about not agreeing with her views but supporting her right to have them while she can rally support for the GOP from the QAnon crowd.
Yeah, alienating the suuburban voters that the GOP needs is going to help them.
Sorry, but I think you get some kind of kick out of being endlessly pessimistic about everything.
You sitll don't get that it 's the ten preceont undecided who are pretty much centrists who decide elections in this country.
And this ?America is going Fascist and there is nothing that can be done" plays into nobody hands except the far right.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 4th February 2021 at 01:12 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 01:13 PM   #443
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
How many of your negative predictions have come true in the last year?

Trump is out.
He left DC.
You haven't had a correct prediction that I recall.

Now you say the Senate will move Q-ward while the vote in the House to support Cheney demonstrates the crazies are not in the majority even in the House.

I see a race between (fake ) news coverage that ironically over-represents the crazies and draws a lot of smaller donors, and the big donors who stay in the shadows and don't favor the QAnons. It's always about the money.
Some people just enjoy being Cassandras.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th February 2021, 01:22 PM   #444
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I thought MTG was not going to go back on anything she said and yet earlier today she stood up and said she believes the school shooting were not false flags that 9/11 actually happened, etc. She's claiming her words were taken out of context by the media and "cancel culture". She's backpedaling faster than a clown on a unicycle in a three ring circus.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 01:31 PM   #445
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

I thought MTG was not going to go back on anything she said and yet earlier today she stood up and said she believes the school shooting were not false flags that 9/11 actually happened, etc. She's claiming her words were taken out of context by the media and "cancel culture". She's backpedaling faster than a clown on a unicycle in a three ring circus.
Another traitor's name to be added to the list?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 01:33 PM   #446
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

All the journalist have to do is run the tapes.
No one believes Taylor Green, but it gives the GOPers in congress an excuse to let her off the hook.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th February 2021, 01:37 PM   #447
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Yes, she doesn't even have the courage of her insanity.

I'm not sure she's got a market - she's alienating the wackjobs and nobody else will trust her.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 01:55 PM   #448
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's the open anti semitism that concerns me. It is going to be very wierd for GOP Republicans from now on.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th February 2021, 01:55 PM   #449
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Does anyone doubt that McCarthy told her to lie?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 01:56 PM   #450
portlandatheist
Illuminator

She's backpedaling but she is using completely squishy language while doing so: "9/11 did happen" and "school shootings are real" but what she isn't saying is that a plane did hit the pentagon or that the Parkland school shooting was not a false flag and so on and always plays the role of the victim.
portlandatheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 02:00 PM   #451
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It's the open anti semitism that concerns me. It is going to be very wierd for GOP Republicans from now on.
Open anti-semitism and open islamaphobia.

The Democrats wouldn't be having to remove her from the committees if the cowardly Republicans had done what they should have done and removed her themselves. The removed Steve King as they should have but not MTG. Cowards.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 02:03 PM   #452
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I really don't get anti-semitism. Christianity is built on the Jewish faith. As for Jewish people, outside of ultra-orthodox or Hasidic communities there is little cultural differences these days. I had several Jewish friends in school and had no idea they were Jewish.

Seriously, they are worshipping the same fairy tale god, so why hate them?
Old 4th February 2021, 02:16 PM   #453
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I really don't get anti-semitism. Christianity is built on the Jewish faith. As for Jewish people, outside of ultra-orthodox or Hasidic communities there is little cultural differences these days. I had several Jewish friends in school and had no idea they were Jewish.

They killed Jesus.

ETA: And like Democrats, they eat Christian babies.
Old 4th February 2021, 02:18 PM   #454
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

They won't share the space lasers with me!!!!!!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 03:06 PM   #455
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Open anti-semitism ...
I guess the days when Jews were defended because they have American political clout and fund raising power are over, or at least fading. No more trips to Vegas to kiss Adelson's ring.

I really don't get anti-semitism. ...
They killed Jesus.....
Maybe they secretly agree with Hitler. I don't get it either but I think the 'they killed Jesus' is how they've been led to make Jews a fear monger target.

And she's off the committees. Intelligencer: House Votes to Deny Marjorie Taylor Greene Committee Assignments
This was a weird comment:
Quote:
“I was allowed to believe things that weren’t true,” she said. “And that is absolutely what I regret.”
I don't get that.

(WA Examiner) Typical of a brat who was kicked off the team for bad sportsmanship:
Quote:
“How stupid they are,” Greene told Secrets before Democrats on the House Rules Committee voted to move forward with plans to strip her membership on two panels. “They don’t even realize they’re helping me. I’m pretty amazed at how dumb they are,” added the first-term member.

Instead of being worried about losing her seat on the education and budget panels, the Republican bomb thrower said she is eager to step up her fight against Democrats and Republicans she views as centrists, including the GOP leadership.
I'm not sure what she expected from said GOP colleagues. They didn't have the votes to block the Democrats.

It's clear she had a bigly hard time denying her beliefs or apologizing for them. Too soon I think.

And "all that freetime", I'm picturing her wandering the halls when everyone else has gone to the party.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th February 2021 at 03:18 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 03:21 PM   #456
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I was allowed to believe things that weren’t true,” she said. “And that is absolutely what I regret.”
Rejection of responsibility: It wasn't MY fault!
Old 4th February 2021, 03:26 PM   #457
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Rejection of responsibility: It wasn't MY fault!
It's still very bizarre wording. "I was misled" also rejects self-blame.

Maybe she's not the most literate person, limited vocabulary and all that.
Old 4th February 2021, 03:31 PM   #458
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And she's off the committees. Intelligencer: House Votes to Deny Marjorie Taylor Greene Committee Assignments
This was a weird comment: I don't get that.
You're a bit premature. They haven't voted yet. You misinterpreted the headline which is poorly written. It can be read as a fait accompli or as something they are going to do. In this case, it's the latter.
Old 4th February 2021, 03:35 PM   #459
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Does anyone doubt that McCarthy told her to lie?

Honestly, the fact that she feels she has to lie actually seems like an improvement to me. A week ago, she had no qualms about saying every stupid thing that came into her head. Today, someone or something prevailed in convincing her that spewing out nonsense was in some manner a bad idea.

That means either she's figured out that her ideas are hurting her (which means she doesn't have the support we worry she might have), or someone else figured that out and actually got her to see it (which also means she doesn't have the support we worry she might have).

The only way we're going to see a decrease in public officials like her supporting this nonsense is if they come to believe supporting nonsense is a losing proposition.
Old 4th February 2021, 03:58 PM   #460
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Hoyer just showed the House a huge picture of a tweet MTG sent out showing her holding an AR 15 and "the Squad" behind her titled " The Squad's Worst Nightmare".
Old 4th February 2021, 04:15 PM   #461
grunion
Philosopher

This is not just garden variety "they killed our Lord Jesus" anti-semitism. These references to the Rothschilds really reek of Protocols Of The Elders Of Zion-league hatred. It is some concocted lie that Jews are hording all the money and power. And the space lasers, apparently.

I have a visceral wince when I see all the memes mocking the Space Laser thing. This needs to be taken seriously.
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 04:31 PM   #462
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So far only three R House members have the courage to vote MTG off the committees. Sad. Very, very sad. Just goes to show how far the GOP has fallen.
Old 4th February 2021, 04:38 PM   #463
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You're a bit premature. They haven't voted yet. You misinterpreted the headline which is poorly written. It can be read as a fait accompli or as something they are going to do. In this case, it's the latter.
News report I read said they did. 100% Party line with 1 Republican and 3 Democrats voting 'present' or something.

Here. I posted the link upthread as well.

See post #455.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th February 2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old 4th February 2021, 04:39 PM   #464
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So far only three R House members have the courage to vote MTG off the committees. Sad. Very, very sad. Just goes to show how far the GOP has fallen.
Weird. We are clearly looking at different news reports.

From my link:
Quote:
It passed on a strict party-line vote (with three Democrats and one Republican not voting) following a floor speech by Greene in which the Georgian retracted some of her past outrages, ignored others, and lashed back at her enemies.

Her wording was not terribly repentant, reports the BBC:
Are you looking at the GOP vote which was before the House vote?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th February 2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old 4th February 2021, 04:46 PM   #465
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

News report I read said they did. 100% Party line with 1 Republican and 3 Democrats voting 'present' or something.

Here. I posted the link upthread as well.
OK.... I see the problem. It's a really badly written headline: House Votes to Deny Marjorie Taylor Greene Committee Assignments. It's referring to a vote by the Dems to confirm her seat on the committees not to remove her from them.

They just now voted to remove her from them: 230 to 199

Last edited by Stacyhs; 4th February 2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old 4th February 2021, 04:51 PM   #466
eerok
Quixoticist

Done.

House Removes Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene From Her Committee Assignments [npr.com]

Last edited by eerok; 4th February 2021 at 04:52 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 04:53 PM   #467
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The GOP is now one with MTG. That is going to help them in the Swing Districts and among Surbuban voters, who have to get to win.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th February 2021, 04:53 PM   #468
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah,they are in special orders now, it's over.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th February 2021, 04:55 PM   #469
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

OK.... I see the problem. It's a really badly written headline: House Votes to Deny Marjorie Taylor Greene Committee Assignments. It's referring to a vote by the Dems to confirm her seat on the committees not to remove her from them.

They just now voted to remove her from them: 230 to 199
Yeah, not just my bad I guess. Damn you reporters and your illiterate headlines.

Now the news is reporting about the GOP members who broke ranks and voted against Greene.
Old 4th February 2021, 04:56 PM   #470
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

How long until MTG goes back to her old ways? About four days max, I think.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th February 2021, 04:57 PM   #471
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

I really don't get anti-semitism. Christianity is built on the Jewish faith.
That's why the Jewish religion survived in Christendom. No other religious minorities were permitted, not even unorthodox Christianity. Christianity is moulded on the Roman Empire, and so is fundamentally intolerant. Jews appear to have been uniquely persecuted in Christianity because it went on so long : other persecutions were quick and complete.

Quote:
Racial and political anti-semitism was created in Central Europe in the later 19th Century. It adopted the Protocols from the Russians, where it was actually written against Freemasons : they struck out "Freemason" and substituted "Jew". That was all about nationalism and racial purity - two of the 19th Centuries worst legacies.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 04:58 PM   #472
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, not just my bad I guess. Damn you reporters and your illiterate headlines.

Now the news is reporting about the GOP members who broke ranks and voted against Greene.
Yep. Happens to the best of us!
Old 4th February 2021, 04:59 PM   #473
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

It seems inevitable that there'll be a Q faction in the House : the question is who will lead it?

Old 4th February 2021, 04:59 PM   #474
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Leopards don't change their spots. She can't help what she is any more than Trump, Cruz, or Lindsey can. She's crazy to the bone.
Old 4th February 2021, 05:02 PM   #475
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
It seems inevitable that there'll be a Q faction in the House : the question is who will lead it?
P of course
Old 4th February 2021, 05:06 PM   #476
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Racial and political anti-semitism was created in Central Europe in the later 19th Century.
Would that be a re-created or resurgence situation? Lutheran Church seems to have "invented" it based on Luther's "The Jews and their Lies". And I don't claim to know enough to say if that would even be the oldest example of institutional widespread antisemitism.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 05:06 PM   #477
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That's why the Jewish religion survived in Christendom. No other religious minorities were permitted, not even unorthodox Christianity. Christianity is moulded on the Roman Empire, and so is fundamentally intolerant. Jews appear to have been uniquely persecuted in Christianity because it went on so long : other persecutions were quick and complete.

Racial and political anti-semitism was created in Central Europe in the later 19th Century. It adopted the Protocols from the Russians, where it was actually written against Freemasons : they struck out "Freemason" and substituted "Jew". That was all about nationalism and racial purity - two of the 19th Centuries worst legacies.
Romans were incredibly tolerant of other religions. They allowed them to remain as long as they recognized the emperor as a god, too. That was the problem behind their intolerance of Christians: they refused to do so.
Old 4th February 2021, 05:07 PM   #478
Venom
Illuminator

I predict she will keep quiet about all of the issues that gave her problems.

Hope it dies down if she ignores them long enough. She'll continue to press the "cancel culture" button.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 05:13 PM   #479
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I predict she will keep quiet about all of the issues that gave her problems.

Hope it dies down if she ignores them long enough. She'll continue to press the "cancel culture" button.
I predict she'll join forces with Gaetz and other Trumpers and fit right in.
Old 4th February 2021, 05:15 PM   #480
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I predict she'll join forces with Gaetz and other Trumpers and fit right in.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics