IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Lauren Boebert , Marjorie Taylor Greene

Old 16th January 2021, 07:23 PM   #81
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

In related news Congresswomen's Boebrick;s chief of communications just quit citing her behavoir during the coup as the reason.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 07:16 AM   #82
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
She’s already busted heads with some of them. Is her district safely red? They might decide she is not worth the embarrassment and let her get tossed.
Yeah, she's from a very red district. It's in the northwest corner of the state. Real **** kicker country.

Last edited by Craig4; 17th January 2021 at 07:21 AM.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 03:08 PM   #83
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Taylor Green suspended from twitter for 12 hours, could not find in a seach what exactly she did to trigger this.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 03:13 PM   #84
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Taylor Green suspended from twitter for 12 hours, could not find in a seach what exactly she did to trigger this.
Exist.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 03:19 PM   #85
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Looks like a video about widespread voter fraud, and a post attacking the GA elections implementation manager about Dominion voting machines.

As an aside, she is also a no-planer.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 03:22 PM   #86
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Looks like a video about widespread voter fraud, and a post attacking the GA elections implementation manager about Dominion voting machines.

If she is an Area-51 aliens believer then we may have a trifecta. And also it will mean she is not long for that chamber.

By-the-by, what IS the shortest term of office for a member of Congress?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 04:50 PM   #87
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If she is an Area-51 aliens believer then we may have a trifecta. And also it will mean she is not long for that chamber.

My guess is negative. As in, a congressman was elected by didn't get sworn in because he died between the election and the start of the new term.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 05:09 PM   #88
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

They elect the likes of Taylor Greene, Boebert, Tuberville, and Gohmert and they wonder why we think they're dumb?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 05:52 PM   #89
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Well colour me surprised!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 06:00 PM   #90
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

My guess is negative. As in, a congressman was elected by didn't get sworn in because he died between the election and the start of the new term.
I'm pretty sure someone got voted in AFTER they died.

Yup, I was right.
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...ll-got-elected

ETA: Although technically only 1 was voted to the national stage.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 07:10 PM   #91
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Of those who were actually seated, wouldn't you know that the record goes to the first woman Senator, Rebecca Latimer Felton of Georgia in 1922. She was seated for one day.

The Governor was planning on running as a candidate for Senate in a future election. Shortly before the election that year, the sitting Senator unexpectedly died. The Governor wanted to appoint someone who would not be a challenge to his candidacy. He appointed Felton, a suffragette, to gain support of women, who could now vote, after having spoke out against women's suffrage. It didn't work and he lost the election to Walter F. George.

Felton had not been seated because Congress had not been in session. When the Senate reconvened, instead of taking his seat, George allowed Felton to be sworn in for a day as a symbolic gesture.

Shortest for an elected Member of Congress was Homer V. M. Miller, also of Georgia, in 1871. He was elected in 1868, but Georgia did not meet the qualifications to restore Federal representation after the Civil War until 1871. By the time he was eligible to be seated, there were only 7 days left of his term.
Old 17th January 2021, 07:19 PM   #92
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Of those who were actually seated, wouldn't you know that the record goes to the first woman Senator, Rebecca Latimer Felton of Georgia in 1922. She was seated for one day.

The Governor was planning on running as a candidate for Senate in a future election. Shortly before the election that year, the sitting Senator unexpectedly died. The Governor wanted to appoint someone who would not be a challenge to his candidacy. He appointed Felton, a suffragette, to gain support of women, who could now vote, after having spoke out against women's suffrage. It didn't work and he lost the election to Walter F. George.

Felton had not been seated because Congress had not been in session. When the Senate reconvened, instead of taking his seat, George allowed Felton to be sworn in for a day as a symbolic gesture.

Shortest for an elected Member of Congress was Homer V. M. Miller, also of Georgia, in 1871. He was elected in 1868, but Georgia did not meet the qualifications to restore Federal representation after the Civil War until 1871. By the time he was eligible to be seated, there were only 7 days left of his term.
Putting the "E" in ISF.
Old 17th January 2021, 07:26 PM   #93
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post

Wasn't one of the Apollo astronauts elected to office, but died before he was seated?

ETA: just found him - Jack Swigert
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 17th January 2021 at 07:28 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 07:30 PM   #94
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Miller is actually the shortest term elected Senator. The shortest term elected Member of Congress was Representative Effingham Lawrence of Louisiana in 1875. One day.

This one gets weird.

He ran in the 1872 election. That election was won by Jacob Hale Sypher. Lawrence later contested that election in court. That didn't get resolved until about two years later. By that time, he had lost the 1874 election. But the courts ruled that he had won the 1872 election. As a result of that court order and the congressional calendar, he was able to be seated for his 1873-1875 term. But there was only one day left.

ETA: Lawrence missed 2 of the 5 votes that day. He half-assed his one day in Congress.

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 17th January 2021 at 07:36 PM.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 08:40 PM   #95
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Wasn't one of the Apollo astronauts elected to office, but died before he was seated?

ETA: just found him - Jack Swigert
Swigert was one of the Apollo 13 Astronauts...played by Kevin Bacon in the movie.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th January 2021, 11:29 AM   #96
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Hillbilly Barbie promoted bat crap crazy Parkland "false flag" theory.

Quote:
ep. Marjorie Taylor Greene spread conspiracy that Parkland school shooting was ‘false flag’
By Colby Itkowitz

In 2018, after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, then a right-wing online commentator, spread the noxious conspiracy theory that the massacre was a “false flag” event intended to take away people’s guns.

The comments, unearthed by Media Matters, are the latest in a long history of Greene repeating toxic, untrue claims by far-right extremists on social media.

After the Parkland shooting, which killed 17 people, Greene shared a story on Facebook about former Broward County sheriff’s deputy Scot Peterson — who was fired over his response to the shooting — receiving a retirement pension. In the comments, someone wrote, “It’s called a pay off to keep his mouth shut since it was a false flag planned shooting.” Greene replied: “Exactly.”

Media Matters also uncovered separate comments from 2018 in which Greene lied that Democrats, specifically House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), rooted for school shootings to justify stricter gun laws.

“This war on our second amendment is going to continue and must be fought. I am told that Nancy Pelosi tells Hillary Clinton several times a month that ‘we need another school shooting’ in order to persuade the public to want strict gun control,” Greene said.

Greene, elected in November, has also trafficked in the QAnon conspiracy theory, as well as other lies popular among the far right.

Greene’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the Media Matters report.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th January 2021, 05:19 PM   #97
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'd bet this idiot thinks there's a "war on Christmas", too.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 05:57 PM   #98
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

She's isn't so much stepping in stinky farmyard manure herself so much as smearing it on all her GOP "friends" as well. If she doesn't learn to keep her mouth shut at inopportune times, her more worldly-wise party representatives are going to "arrange" for her to have a scandal and get dismissed somehow.
Old 19th January 2021, 06:00 PM   #99
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

She's isn't so much stepping in stinky farmyard manure herself so much as smearing it on all her GOP "friends" as well. If she doesn't learn to keep her mouth shut at inopportune times, her more worldly-wise party representatives are going to "arrange" for her to have a scandal and get dismissed somehow.
Speaking of putting the E in ISF: Evidence this has ever happened before?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 19th January 2021 at 06:03 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 07:35 PM   #100
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Speaking of putting the E in ISF: Evidence this has ever happened before?
There's been any number of "scandals" befall Representatives who have had to resign as a result.
Old 19th January 2021, 08:39 PM   #101
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There's been any number of "scandals" befall Representatives who have had to resign as a result.
Yes but you implied her colleagues would 'make it happen'. That's a different animal.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:49 PM   #102
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Yes but you implied her colleagues would 'make it happen'. That's a different animal.
You are implying that I have inside information?? Eh, no.

I'm suggesting that her colleagues will not be particularly forthcoming in defending her, and may even be instrumental in helping her overboard. She isn't helping herself very much, and I'm not seeing a great mass of defending socials from her party comrades.
Old 20th January 2021, 12:54 AM   #103
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Greene now represents the views of a sizeable minority, perhaps the majority, of GOP voters so there is little appetite for getting rid of her.

In light of the last four years, I find it difficult to imagine the kind of scandal that would cause a GOP representative to resign or be dismissed. What used to be considered grifting or fraud is now de rigeur.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 01:43 AM   #104
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You are implying that I have inside information?? Eh, no.

I'm suggesting that her colleagues will not be particularly forthcoming in defending her, and may even be instrumental in helping her overboard. She isn't helping herself very much, and I'm not seeing a great mass of defending socials from her party comrades.
Look, just own your ******* sentence, all right? You misspoke, it's not what you meant, whatever. But don't act like you never said this:
Quote:
If she doesn't learn to keep her mouth shut at inopportune times, her more worldly-wise party representatives are going to "arrange" for her to have a scandal and get dismissed somehow.
Old 20th January 2021, 02:10 AM   #105
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Have we noted that she thinks the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas school massacre was a false-flag operation?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/qa...out&li=BBnb7Kz
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 04:11 AM   #106
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Have we noted that she thinks the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas school massacre was a false-flag operation?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/qa...out&li=BBnb7Kz
Yeah, which comes as no surprise. I'm expecting something involving teh joos sooner rather than later.
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 07:23 PM   #107
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Well, she’s gone and done it.

I suppose the mocking and derision she is inviting will be a small price to pay in exchange for the rubes paying her back a thousand fold in cold, hard cash.
Old 21st January 2021, 07:52 PM   #108
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Well, she’s gone and done it.

I suppose the mocking and derision she is inviting will be a small price to pay in exchange for the rubes paying her back a thousand fold in cold, hard cash.
She is a certifiable loony!
Old 21st January 2021, 07:55 PM   #109
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

But lets not call her stupid.
Old 21st January 2021, 08:04 PM   #110
Venom
Illuminator

Wow how did this delusional bitch get elected?

I never thought someone with such conspiracist street cred could get elected, but probably despite it. Doesn't seem to be doing anything worthwhile to uncover the world-shaking conspiracies she believes are real though. At least Donald Trump wasted tons of tax payer and donor money on a few of his conspiracy theories.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 08:06 PM   #111
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post

I never thought someone with such conspiracist street cred could get elected, but probably despite it. Doesn't seem to be doing anything worthwhile to uncover the world-shaking conspiracies she believes are real though. At least Donald Trump wasted tons of tax payer and donor money on a few of his conspiracy theories.
We're talking rural Georgia. Nuff said.
Old 21st January 2021, 08:18 PM   #112
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Never been to the rural South ,have you?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st January 2021, 08:47 PM   #113
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And from the US House of Representives, another exciting game of "Spot The Loony"...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st January 2021, 08:56 PM   #114
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Look, just own your ******* sentence, all right? You misspoke, it's not what you meant, whatever. But don't act like you never said this:
Touchy or what.

I didn't misspeak. You read it wrong. Stop thinking of it like an American gangster story and it makes sense.

There, we can both play this game.
Old 21st January 2021, 08:58 PM   #115
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Greene now represents the views of a sizeable minority, perhaps the majority, of GOP voters so there is little appetite for getting rid of her.

In light of the last four years, I find it difficult to imagine the kind of scandal that would cause a GOP representative to resign or be dismissed. What used to be considered grifting or fraud is now de rigeur.
I take your point. After Trump (and how good is it to say that!), the scale and/or rankness of scandal would have to be exceptionally gross to sway some fellow Republicans.
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:39 AM   #116
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
We're talking rural Georgia. Nuff said.
Running unopposed after her Democratic rival fell afoul of divorce and residency requirements didn't hurt either.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:51 AM   #117
catsmate
No longer the 1

Excluding those who were deceased, and thus (surprisingly) unable to technically hold office the record is one day (Effingham Lawrence). That incident is complicated and involves a contested election. More recently Kwanza Hall served for 31 days.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:23 AM   #118
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Not only does she promote the CT that the Parkland shooting was a false flag, she thinks Sandy Hook was fake as well, and she's being called on it by survivors and the parents of victims of both shootings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...gn=wp_national
The Parkland chapter of March for Our Lives called Greene a “coward.”

“The shooting at our school was real. Real kids died and our community is still grieving today. You should be ashamed of yourself and resign from congress,” the organization tweeted. “Conspiracy theorists don’t deserve a seat in the people’s house.”

David Hogg, the activist and co-founder of March for Our Lives, vowed to organize against Greene if she did not apologize for the comments.

“I have one message for @RepMTG,” tweeted Hogg, a Parkland survivor. “Apologize Now or continue to spread the conspiracies and we will be sure to make the next two years of your life not only your last in Congress but a living hell as well.”
This young man has the ear of some pretty powerful people as well as the mainstream media, and he's good at organizing effective protest campaigns. The pressure could soon be coming on this QNut to get out of the house.
Old 22nd January 2021, 01:39 PM   #119
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Not wanting to be left behind in the stupid contest. Boebrick has intorudced a measure repealing Biden's Mask Mandate.
The Republican war on science continues.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:40 PM   #120
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
Running unopposed after her Democratic rival fell afoul of divorce and residency requirements didn't hurt either.
Her Dem opponent didn't stand a chance of winning as that district is a deeply red district. The fact that MT-G could win the primary against Cowan, a neurosurgeon who was just as much a Trumper and Bible thumper as any "true Patriot" could want tells you something.

Cowan campaign website statement:

“We need a representative in Washington with the backbone to stand up to deranged Democrats and weak Republicans. In Congress, I’ll fight beside President Donald J. Trump to protect our values and end the liberal assault on our God-given rights.”

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics