IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Lauren Boebert , Marjorie Taylor Greene

Old 22nd January 2021, 02:42 PM   #121
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Not wanting to be left behind in the stupid contest. Boebrick has intorudced a measure repealing Biden's Mask Mandate.
The Republican war on science continues.
Science is only a theory.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:05 PM   #122
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Can you change the title of a thread you start?
I would like to change the title of this thread to "The Marjorie Green/Lauren Boebert Thread".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:20 PM   #123
Venom
Illuminator

Can you change the title of a thread you start?
I would like to change the title of this thread to "The Marjorie Green/Lauren Boebert Thread".
Seconded.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:20 PM   #124
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

BTW my last post is a serious question: Is there someway I can change the title of a thread I created?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:33 PM   #125
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

BTW my last post is a serious question: Is there someway I can change the title of a thread I created?
I think you need to DM a mod.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 01:25 PM   #126
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Taylor Greene supported executing Democratic Leaders:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/26/polit...nce/index.html

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 27th January 2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 27th January 2021, 02:24 PM   #127
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

More batcrap insanity from Taylor Green:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3ge...spiracy-theory

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th January 2021, 02:29 PM   #128
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Holy ****! If that isn't 1000% absolutely bat **** crazy then nothing is!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 02:30 PM   #129
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Holy ****! If that isn't 1000% absolutely bat **** crazy then nothing is!
Sanity is Fake News.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th January 2021, 04:31 PM   #130
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Taylor Greene has been appointed to the House Education and Labor Committee despite her claiming that the shootings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL and Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, "weren't real" but were "false flag" operations intended to drum up support for gun control. She is one crazy biatch.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 04:34 PM   #131
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Taylor Greene has been appointed to the House Education and Labor Committee despite her claiming that the shootings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL and Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, "weren't real" but were "false flag" operations intended to drum up support for gun control. She is one crazy biatch.
Who in the republican leadership did that?
Old 27th January 2021, 05:22 PM   #132
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Who in the republican leadership did that?
The House Republican conference which is headed my Liz Cheney. I don't know who within the conference came up with that bright idea.
Old 27th January 2021, 07:41 PM   #133
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Channel 3 crew threatened with arrest after asking Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene a question during town hall meeting

https://t.co/GZh5ZDL1CW?amp=1
dmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 08:06 PM   #134
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

It's hard to understand why embracing lunacy like this isn't treated as a true psychiatric disorder, rendering someone unfit to hold any responsible public or private job, care for children, etc., etc.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2021, 08:15 PM   #135
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
Running unopposed after her Democratic rival fell afoul of divorce and residency requirements didn't hurt either.

It's a heavily Repub district. But she ran in the Repub primary against eight other candidates. This is anoher argument for rank-choice voting. She won 40% of the primary vote, but that means 60% of the voters wanted somebody else. If they could have named a second or third choice, she might not have been the one to go to the run-off.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjor..._note-dyRVR-18
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 12:12 AM   #136
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It's a heavily Repub district. But she ran in the Repub primary against eight other candidates. This is anoher argument for rank-choice voting. She won 40% of the primary vote, but that means 60% of the voters wanted somebody else. If they could have named a second or third choice, she might not have been the one to go to the run-off.
The fact that she could even get 40% of the vote is scary, especially when the candidate getting the next amount of greatest votes was a die hard Trump supporting neurosurgeon.
Old 28th January 2021, 01:05 AM   #137
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The fact that she could even get 40% of the vote is scary, especially when the candidate getting the next amount of greatest votes was a die hard Trump supporting neurosurgeon.
I think the "mainstream" in the US need to acknowledge that QAnon is firmly entrenched in the GOP and that its influence is only going to grow. We've seen it before with religious fundamentalists and with the Tea Party, the Republican Party is very good at embracing what appear to be fringe movements and then moving its centre (or perhaps extending its boundaries) to make them quite usual in short order.

That Taylor Greene has been appointed to the House Education and Labor Committee is a clear nod that she, and her views, have been very quickly embraced by the Republican Party. Heck, her QAnon views are not so different than the view that the election was stolen and that's Republican Party policy these days.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 01:15 AM   #138
Venom
Illuminator

She should be removed from office. No seriously.

She can't be in a position of public leadership.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 01:20 AM   #139
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
She should be removed from office. No seriously.

She can't be in a position of public leadership.
Why not ?

She represents the views of a substantial minority of one of the US' two major political parties. IMO as with President Trump she is just a symptom and if you were to remove her, she'd rapidly be replaced with someone with similar, or even more extreme, views.

I think what the US and the rest of the Western world needs to think about is how such a ridiculous conspiracy theory could get sufficient traction that it has become a major force in politics.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 01:27 AM   #140
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Why not ?

She represents the views of a substantial minority of one of the US' two major political parties. IMO as with President Trump she is just a symptom and if you were to remove her, she'd rapidly be replaced with someone with similar, or even more extreme, views.

I think what the US and the rest of the Western world needs to think about is how such a ridiculous conspiracy theory could get sufficient traction that it has become a major force in politics.
You convinced me.

The House should vote to remove a substantial minority of one of the US' two major political parties.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 01:33 AM   #141
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I think the "mainstream" in the US need to acknowledge that QAnon is firmly entrenched in the GOP and that its influence is only going to grow. We've seen it before with religious fundamentalists and with the Tea Party, the Republican Party is very good at embracing what appear to be fringe movements and then moving its centre (or perhaps extending its boundaries) to make them quite usual in short order.

That Taylor Greene has been appointed to the House Education and Labor Committee is a clear nod that she, and her views, have been very quickly embraced by the Republican Party. Heck, her QAnon views are not so different than the view that the election was stolen and that's Republican Party policy these days.
I don't think that QAnon is going to grow. I think it's a flash in the pan. Sure, there will be the die hard whackadoodles; there always are. But that's just like there will always be the birthers, the 9/11 and moon landing truthers but it's not going to go mainstream GOP. MTG is still going to be a nutter even among the majority of the GOP in Congress and they'll laugh at her behind closed doors even while appointing her to the House Education and Labor Committee because if there's one thing the GOP does for the most part it's follow Reagan's Eleventh Commandment "Thou shall not speak ill of another Republican"...at least in public.
Old 28th January 2021, 01:54 AM   #142
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I agree with The Don that Q is here to stay, if as nothing more than an anchor that other pet CTs will have to attach themselves in some way.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 03:10 AM   #143
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I mean, if proof were needed that QAnon is an amazingly successful trolling campaign, the name "frazzledrip" should suffice.
Old 28th January 2021, 09:44 AM   #144
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Well... alrighty then.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 11:00 AM   #145
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I caught a couple minutes of a Pelosi press conference this morning. Someone asked about that and she was geunuinely pissed off. Irate, even.
Old 28th January 2021, 12:01 PM   #146
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Bad Legal Takes
Old 28th January 2021, 01:22 PM   #147
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Marjorie Taylor Greene penned conspiracy theory that a laser beam from space started deadly 2018 California wildfire

Quote:
In November 2018, California was hit with the worst wildfire in the state’s history. At the time, future Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) wrote a bizarre Facebook post that echoed QAnon conspiracy theorists and falsely claimed that the real and hidden culprit behind the disaster was a laser from space triggered by some nefarious group of people.
Quote:
Rep. Greene is a proponent of the Camp Fire laser beam conspiracy theory. She wrote a November 17, 2018, Facebook post -- which is no longer available online -- in which she said that she was speculating “because there are too many coincidences to ignore” regarding the fire, including that then-California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) wanted to build the high-speed rail project and “oddly there are all these people who have said they saw what looked like lasers or blue beams of light causing the fires.” She also speculated that a vice chairman at “Rothschild Inc, international investment banking firm” was somehow involved, and suggested the fire was caused by a beam from “space solar generators.”

Greene added: “If they are beaming the suns energy back to Earth, I’m sure they wouldn’t ever miss a transmitter receiving station right??!! I mean mistakes are never made when anything new is invented. What would that look like anyway? A laser beam or light beam coming down to Earth I guess. Could that cause a fire? Hmmm, I don’t know. I hope not! That wouldn’t look so good for PG&E, Rothschild Inc, Solaren or Jerry Brown who sure does seem fond of PG&E.”
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 02:47 PM   #148
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think that QAnon is going to grow. I think it's a flash in the pan. Sure, there will be the die hard whackadoodles; there always are. But that's just like there will always be the birthers, the 9/11 and moon landing truthers but it's not going to go mainstream GOP. MTG is still going to be a nutter even among the majority of the GOP in Congress and they'll laugh at her behind closed doors even while appointing her to the House Education and Labor Committee because if there's one thing the GOP does for the most part it's follow Reagan's Eleventh Commandment "Thou shall not speak ill of another Republican"...at least in public.
The GOP leaders in the house stuck her in the commitees where she could do the lead damage. You have to give every congressperson some commitee assignments and education and labor are among the least powerful commitees..

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th January 2021, 03:06 PM   #149
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

She’s from a safely red district, if the GOP was wise, or even tired of her crap already, they’d let her get tossed and just get another Republican elected there.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 03:31 PM   #150
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Sanity is Fake News.
We all know what happened last time far-rightwing nutty party full of conspiracy theories that entered mainstream took power.
Old 28th January 2021, 03:45 PM   #151
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

The GOP leaders in the house stuck her in the commitees where she could do the lead damage. You have to give every congressperson some commitee assignments and education and labor are among the least powerful commitees..
Further, she will be assigned "administrative" duties - pencil-sharpening and covfefe-fetching. Actually, if they ask for her to get their covfefe from, say, a specific Maryland cafe, she can be physically out of the room for a looooong time.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 03:51 PM   #152
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Further confirmation (if any was needed) that she is a total whackjob!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 03:54 PM   #153
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Further, she will be assigned "administrative" duties - pencil-sharpening and covfefe-fetching. Actually, if they ask for her to get their covfefe from, say, a specific Maryland cafe, she can be physically out of the room for a looooong time.
Put her on "gardening leave" !
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 04:26 PM   #154
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

That might be true, but her history should disqualify her from being anywhere around schools. There are other insignificant committees.
Old 28th January 2021, 04:35 PM   #155
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Taylor Greene supported executing Democratic Leaders:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/26/polit...nce/index.html
And? I thought that was to be assumed.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 04:43 PM   #156
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
She’s from a safely red district, if the GOP was wise, or even tired of her crap already, they’d let her get tossed and just get another Republican elected there.
That is what they eventually did with Steve King: they bankrolled a challenger in the primaries who beat King.
The district is a Mickey Mouse GOP districti...they would elect Mickey Mouse if he ran on the GOP ticket ( and I hastent oadd there are pleny of Mickey Mouse Democraticf Districts) so they have nohting to lose by getting rid of her.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th January 2021, 04:45 PM   #157
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Ya gotta give here credit though; only a month in office and she has already out Steve King'd Steve King.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th January 2021, 05:00 PM   #158
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I would like to thank the people who are posting here on Green's latest insanities. They are coming so frequentlly that keeping this thread up to date on my own was becoming a real chore.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th January 2021, 05:10 PM   #159
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Ya gotta give here credit though; only a month in office and she has already out Steve King'd Steve King.
Heck, she was ticking off Crenshaw just days after the election.

Old 28th January 2021, 05:52 PM   #160
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
That's a good theory, but IIRC the party did fund her primary opponent and she still won. Her district wanted a dangerous loon and they got one.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics