IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Lauren Boebert , Marjorie Taylor Greene

Old 28th January 2021, 05:58 PM   #161
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
That's a good theory, but IIRC the party did fund her primary opponent and she still won. Her district wanted a dangerous loon and they got one.
Thatís an election, however. In this case if the Democrats are getting ticked that a woman who talks gleefully of killing them along with belief is several conspiracies that are just embarrassing the GOP may decide defending her against removal is not a hill worth dying on.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 06:35 PM   #162
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Further confirmation (if any was needed) that she is a total whackjob!
She was running around the Capitol hallways (caught on the news) insisting legislators had to swear in using the Bible and not the Koran and she was going to track them down and see if they would swear in on the Bible.

Maybe she expected they would shrink away in fear lest they burst into flames. The reporters tried to tell her there was no requirement they had to swear in using a Bible but like all these nut-jobs she simply insisted they were wrong.

I wished the reporters had followed up because I'd like to have seen the legislators the woman was trying to find laugh in her face.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 06:45 PM   #163
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Here we go (sorry if it's already posted):

The Independent: Marjorie Taylor Greene tried to force Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib to retake their oaths on a Bible in a resurfaced video
Quote:
Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, a QAnon-supporting Republican who is known for pushing conspiracy theories and making racists comments, previously tried to force Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib to retake their congressional oaths on the Bible.

Video footage surfaced on Wednesday of Ms Greene walking through the halls of Congress prior to being elected as a Georgia representative.

In the footage, she was claiming that Ms Omar and Ms Tlaib were illegitimate Democratic representatives because they took their oaths of office on the Quran instead of the Bible.
It doesn't say what happened.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 06:57 PM   #164
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if she's going to do a good job for her constituents. I wouldn't think so, but a good staff can help.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 07:28 PM   #165
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

If they don’t all quit.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 08:10 PM   #166
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'd think David Hogg (the young man she accosted in the video) could develop a massive following. I haven't seen him in the media for quite some time, but the recent interview shows him with a Moses-level head of hair and practically channeling the WASP idealization of Jesus. He's articulate, charismatic, and obviously highly tolerant of ********.
Old 28th January 2021, 09:28 PM   #167
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
She was running around the Capitol hallways (caught on the news) insisting legislators had to swear in using the Bible and not the Koran and she was going to track them down and see if they would swear in on the Bible.

Maybe she expected they would shrink away in fear lest they burst into flames. The reporters tried to tell her there was no requirement they had to swear in using a Bible but like all these nut-jobs she simply insisted they were wrong.

I wished the reporters had followed up because I'd like to have seen the legislators the woman was trying to find laugh in her face.
No one tell her that Jewish members are usually sworn in on Bibles containing only the Old Testament.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 09:29 PM   #168
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I wonder if she's going to do a good job for her constituents. I wouldn't think so, but a good staff can help.
She is going to make her district the laughing stock of the country, ....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 09:31 PM   #169
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone tell her about the Dem from Hawaii who is a Buddhist and was sworn in on the Buddhist Scriptures?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th January 2021, 11:28 PM   #170
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
No one tell her that Jewish members are usually sworn in on Bibles containing only the Old Testament.....
That's OK because it's still "Godly".

She is going to make her district the laughing stock of the country, ....
They already are for having elected her.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2021, 11:55 PM   #171
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone tell her about the Dem from Hawaii who is a Buddhist and was sworn in on the Buddhist Scriptures?
You mean Mazie Hirono? Well, she's not the only one!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 29th January 2021 at 12:14 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 12:11 AM   #172
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
So that's why "Jewish Space Laser" is trending on Twitter this morning.

Last edited by Firestone; 29th January 2021 at 12:25 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 12:17 AM   #173
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

as so many like her, Marjorie is running around naked in a thunderstorm blaspheming, hoping to get struck by lightning to prove that God exists.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 12:22 AM   #174
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
as so many like her, Marjorie is running around naked in a thunderstorm blaspheming, hoping to get struck by lightning to prove that God exists.
Hopefully, God will oblige her.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 12:25 AM   #175
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Hopefully, God will oblige her.
no, because that would prove her point.

Better for her to get pneumonia.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 12:35 AM   #176
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
So that's why "Jewish Laser beam" is trending on Twitter this morning.

Yeah, next thing you'll be trying to tell me is that she is a 9/11 Truth "no planer"....

Oh, wait

https://thehill.com/policy/technolog...spiracy-theory
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 12:37 AM   #177
Dragon
Graduate Poster

This is why I've enjoyed the JREF/ISF forums over the years - learning stuff. Often directly but also when branching off to other sources, Wikipedia in this case has an interesting page on the issue of taking the oath.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quran_...tates_Congress

How is it that prominent commentators or, worse, members of Congress can be so ignorant of the US Constitution? More likely they actually know that "no religious test shall ever be required..etc" and they are playing to a particular audience.
Old 29th January 2021, 12:57 AM   #178
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Not a huge fan of Bill Maher but this is funny. Also NSFW.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Goto 6:00

tl;dr

https://youtu.be/dPimd9W0jnE?t=359

.... "Marjorie Taylor Greene the Congress woman who makes most people say 'how is she not a teacher from Florida who ***** her students?'"...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 01:19 AM   #179
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
How is it that prominent commentators or, worse, members of Congress can be so ignorant of the US Constitution? More likely they actually know that "no religious test shall ever be required..etc" and they are playing to a particular audience.
They (at least most of them like Hawley and Cruz) aren't ignorant. They are willing to lie because they know that their primary base is dumb enough to believe their lies. Also, the thing about politics is you don't really have to be smart or competent to get elected to office. You need a good team of PR guys and just tap into the collective psyche of your base and feed their paranoia and insecurities.
Old 29th January 2021, 01:36 AM   #180
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

tl;dr

.... "Marjorie Taylor Greene the Congress woman who makes most people say 'how is she not a teacher from Florida who ***** her students?'"...

Bwhahahha. "Lauren Boebert is someone you may have already thought about if you ever wondered what would happen if Michelle Bachmann smoked bath salts!"

Last edited by smartcooky; 29th January 2021 at 02:57 AM.
Old 29th January 2021, 02:39 AM   #181
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post

I AGREE

tl;dr

Loved the whole clip.
Old 29th January 2021, 03:29 AM   #182
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

GOP Congresswoman Blamed Wildfires on Secret Jewish Space Laser

Quote:
Axios has a small squib about “The Mischief Makers,” a handful of idiosyncratic congressional backbenchers who make trouble for their respective party leadership. The leading Democratic mischief-maker is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who advocates some left-wing views I consider simplistic and impractical and, in some cases, poll badly. The top example of a conservative mischief-maker, presented in perfect symmetry, is Marjorie Taylor Greene.

Greene’s views are just a bit more controversial. They include, but are by no means limited to, the following:

• The QAnon conspiracy theory, which holds that Donald Trump is secretly fighting a worldwide child-sex-slavery ring that was supposed to culminate in the mass arrest of his political opposition, is “worth listening to.”

• Muslims don’t belong in government.

• 9/11 was an inside job.

• Shootings at Parkland, Sandy Hook, and Las Vegas were staged.

• “Zionist supremacists” are secretly masterminding Muslim immigration to Europe in a scheme to outbreed white people.

• Leading Democratic officials should be executed.

The most recent Greene view to be unearthed comes via Eric Hananoki. Just over two years ago, Greene suggested in a Facebook post that wildfires in California were not natural. Forests don’t just catch fire, you know. Rather, the blazes had been started by PG&E, in conjunction with the Rothschilds, using a space laser, in order to clear room for a high-speed rail project.
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/...d-execute.html
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 03:44 AM   #183
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

Is she alone in believing some or all of those things or are there other GOP House and Senate members who are on record saying similar things ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 06:28 AM   #184
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Caelum non sufficit

Motto of the Jewish Space Laser Command
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 06:33 AM   #185
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Caelum non sufficit

Motto of the Jewish Space Laser Command
You think (((we))) have a Latin Motto?

Also, who leaked this?
Old 29th January 2021, 07:25 AM   #186
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Greene is scrubbing past social media posts.

Quote:
Marjorie Taylor Greene's account has deleted 19 tweets in the last 12 hours.

Greene is also scrubbing her Facebook of old posts and videos from 2018 and 2019 where she spread conspiracies and endorsed violence against Democratic lawmakers.
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1354821456811630596
Old 29th January 2021, 07:25 AM   #187
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
In what respect do you think she doesn't represent her constituents?

Saw a bit this morning on how someone interviewed people from her district. They were asked how they felt about the conspiracy theories. The response? Noah was accused of believing in conspiracy theories, too. Who can tell what's right?
Old 29th January 2021, 07:43 AM   #188
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Jesus ******* christ. We're in a time when this-
I AGREE

-doesn't even work as parody anymore; we really are through the looking glass here, people.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 08:03 AM   #189
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
They (at least most of them like Hawley and Cruz) aren't ignorant. They are willing to lie because they know that their primary base is dumb enough to believe their lies. Also, the thing about politics is you don't really have to be smart or competent to get elected to office. You need a good team of PR guys and just tap into the collective psyche of your base and feed their paranoia and insecurities.
Let's just note that Hawley graduated from Yale Law School, Cruz from Harvard, and they both clerked for Supreme Court justices. They do understand the Constitution. They just don't like it.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 08:13 AM   #190
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Greene is scrubbing past social media posts.

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1354821456811630596
Honestly- why would she think that would help? It's bad enough to have said (and believed) stupid things that make you look like a fool; but trying to erase them from an internet that never forgets is just admitting loudly that you know they were stupid things and that you're a fool.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 10:28 AM   #191
Wudang
BOFH

I'd like to see her try to get Kustoff and Zeldin to swear on the Christian bible and see how that played.
Old 29th January 2021, 10:40 AM   #192
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
In what respect do you think she doesn't represent her constituents?

Saw a bit this morning on how someone interviewed people from her district. They were asked how they felt about the conspiracy theories. The response? Noah was accused of believing in conspiracy theories, too. Who can tell what's right?
So Noah conspired with God? I don't think they understand the difference between a prediction (not that it's any less insane) and a CT.

Once one of these memes gets started, everyone of that ilk uses it, like Rand Paul claiming the impeachment trial of Trump is unconstitutional.
Old 29th January 2021, 10:42 AM   #193
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Let's just note that Hawley graduated from Yale Law School, Cruz from Harvard, and they both clerked for Supreme Court justices. They do understand the Constitution. They just don't like it [give a rats ass about lying about it].
ftfy
Old 29th January 2021, 10:46 AM   #194
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Honestly- why would she think that would help? It's bad enough to have said (and believed) stupid things that make you look like a fool; but trying to erase them from an internet that never forgets is just admitting loudly that you know they were stupid things and that you're a fool.
I've found the trouble with your carburetor, Mrs. Ferguson.
Old 29th January 2021, 10:47 AM   #195
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

So Noah conspired with God? I don't think they understand the difference between a prediction (not that it's any less insane) and a CT.
No, I interpreted it as "God is going to destroy the world" is the conspiracy theory that Noah believed, and all his friends mocked him.

They put "Jews used lasers to start wildfires" as equivalent to the claim "God is going to destroy the world." Granted, so do I, but they actually think the second one is true so we can't rule out the possibility of the former.
Old 29th January 2021, 10:53 AM   #196
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post

But then, at least some of them really are just that stupid. Watch this guy go into brain freeze for several seconds when trying to process the idea that there is no law requiring swearing on a bible:

I AGREE

That right there is a deeply, deeply stupid man.
Old 29th January 2021, 10:55 AM   #197
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
But then, at least some of them really are just that stupid. Watch this guy go into brain freeze for several seconds when trying to process the idea that there is no law requiring swearing on a bible:

I AGREE

That right there is a deeply, deeply stupid man.
I find it cutely ironic that so many of the people who have the deepest faith in the Bible pronounce it as the "Babble".
Old 29th January 2021, 11:21 AM   #198
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
So that's why "Jewish Space Laser" is trending on Twitter this morning.
Damn, that would make a great card in the "Illumanatti" card game.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 29th January 2021, 11:29 AM   #199
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I find it cutely ironic that so many of the people who have the deepest faith in the Bible pronounce it as the "Babble".
I despise Moore, but poking fun at his regional dialect is a bit much.
Unless you are trying to be Professor Henry Higgins...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 29th January 2021, 11:31 AM   #200
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
That's OK because it's still "Godly".

They already are for having elected her.
I would not bet money on that.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics