IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags honor killing , islam , pakistan , traditional societies

Old 9th November 2012, 09:03 AM   #201
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
My point is that no one person or thing gives us the mandate. History has shown us that certain events and persons in the right place and time cause a tipping point where a society changes. Rather than wait to for that to happen in the likes of Afghanistan, we are right to take action to try and influence and cause that tipping point right now.
Certainly no mandate will occur where none is initiated; the question then remains as to who, and when. Empowering women is obviously key but who in this culture will make that claim?

So if it won't initiate internally, then what?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 09:03 AM   #202
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
No, what bothers you are observations that disagree with your predetermined conclusion. You ought to consider them because I've discovered that when doing so, you often learn something.

I highly recommend it.
Oh bless - you can't leave it alone can you?!

Would it help you if I got upset?

I'm not actually bothered by you in the slightest because you long since ceased making anything like a worthwhile comment. Sorry.

Umad?

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 09:05 AM   #203
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Oh bless - you can't leave it alone can you?!
So how would you intiate change to obviate honor murder?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 09:05 AM   #204
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

My point is that no one person or thing gives us the mandate.
And that's my point too.

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 09:07 AM   #205
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

And that's my point too.
deleted.

Last edited by Resume; 9th November 2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 9th November 2012, 09:07 AM   #206
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

So how would you intiate change to obviate honor murder?
I don't think I need to - it's extremely rare in the UK.

Old 9th November 2012, 09:09 AM   #207
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

In that case this has been an argument to nothing about acceptability and we should just concentrate on what to do about it.

I say it is right to interfere in their culture by means of supporting and encouraging campaigns to have honour killings stopped and to make it clear that such behaviour is unacceptable in our countries and they cannot do such and will be punished way more than they are at home.
Old 9th November 2012, 09:10 AM   #208
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I don't think I need to - it's extremely rare in the UK.
Sort of mind your own business then?
Old 9th November 2012, 09:16 AM   #209
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

I say it is right to support and encourage internal campaigns to have honour killings stopped and to make it clear that such behaviour is unacceptable in our countries and they cannot do such and will be punished way more than they are at home.
I have amended your statement to show the parts I agree with. Why did you make it so difficult?!

Old 9th November 2012, 09:18 AM   #210
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Sort of mind your own business then?
On the rare occasions it has happened in the UK, the criminals have been brought to justice and severely punished. It's not an issue here.

Old 9th November 2012, 09:20 AM   #211
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

On the rare occasions it has happened in the UK, the criminals have been brought to justice and severely punished. It's not an issue here.
Sort of mind your own business if honor murder takes place outside of your native country?
Old 9th November 2012, 09:25 AM   #212
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I have amended your statement to show the parts I agree with. Why did you make it so difficult?!
I did not think I had made it so difficult. I had researched the issue and come to the conclusion that honour killing is part of their culture, but in my view it is wrong and we are right to take action by supporting campaigns to have it stopped. I had done that by the end of page 1 of this thread.

Then you came along and started arguing against me.
Old 9th November 2012, 09:34 AM   #213
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Sort of mind your own business if honor murder takes place outside of your native country?
Not what I'm saying either.

Old 9th November 2012, 09:34 AM   #214
joesixpack
Illuminator

I understand it is immoral to us and not to them. In any case there are very rigid social structures elsewhere in the world, including in the Middle East, where honour killings are not accepted.
Yes, but they are different cultures in other respects as well. I would lay odds that these other cultures don't perceive the same gravity of consequence for loss of family honor, just for starters.

Quote:
We upset our own apple cart to the benefit of the whole of society by abolishing slavery. We recognised ourselves that it was wrong and did something about it. I do not see why we should wait around for those cultures who honour kill to do the same. It is called learning from your mistakes.
We didn't upset the apple cart as much as you may believe (and this is not to diminish the brave sacrifices and contributions of abolitionists during that era). The Industrial revolution had more to do with abolition than John Brown or Nat Turner. The changing economic landscape is what brought about the end of slavery. See that in England the institution and trade were outlawed before they were here in the US.

And even when slavery was ended in the US, the objective economic reality for blacks was largely unchanged for a century afterwards. Sharecropping, segregation, lynching, and Jim Crow enforced material conditions on blacks that were hardly distinguishable from slavery in rural America.

The recognition that slavery was abhorrent was a luxury for those who didn't depend on it for the maintenance of their positions of cultural privilege. Yes, some people will sacrifice their material advantages for the sake of another, but it's not so easily done, especially if the alternative is a total surrender of ones security and protection.

Last edited by joesixpack; 9th November 2012 at 09:44 AM.
joesixpack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 09:40 AM   #215
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

I did not think I had made it so difficult. I had researched the issue and come to the conclusion that honour killing is part of their culture, but in my view it is wrong and we are right to take action by supporting campaigns to have it stopped. I had done that by the end of page 1 of this thread.

Then you came along and started arguing against me.
Actually I think you'll find one of my first posts is agreeing with you. But never mind...

Old 9th November 2012, 09:42 AM   #216
westprog
Philosopher

Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
I think it's important to note here that NO ONE is expressing support for honor killings. The issue here is the idealist moral judgment being cast on the members of a particular culture (or more properly, cultures) for living within the expectations and confines of that culture.

It is easy for me to say that I wouldn't kill my daughter for dishonoring my family, sitting here in a culture where family honor carries little weight, but it would take a level of courage far outside of the bell curve to openly defy one of my own major cultural taboos. There isn't a lot of free will involved here. The "moral" condemnation of people who's morality is vastly different from our own is like condemning a person for not using the same monetary system we do.
This presupposes that there is no objective moral standard by which such practices can be judged. This is fundamental to the discussion. If one believes that it's possible to have an objective morality, then it's possible to view a system that allows children to be murdered by their parents as being inferior to a system that regards that as wrong.

If one doesn't accept objective morality, then it's difficult to see on what basis one can say that one culture is "better" than another. Even on a utilitarian basis, it's impossible to say that if the Afghans were to embrace Western culture, that it would lead to an improvement in their lives. We have the example in the USA of aboriginal peoples abandoning their traditional way of life for something closer to what is generally accepted. Are they "better" for it, if "better" is assigned some arbitrary value?

Quote:
No one is advocating that the horrible practice be allowed to continue unchecked. What is being argued is that culture can be changed from within, and trying to change if from without is generally counterproductive.
I suspect that culture can be changed from without, but only by use of considerable force. I don't have the figures, but I think it highly likely that the number of people killed in the war in Afghanistan greatly exceeds the number killed by their own families.
Old 9th November 2012, 09:49 AM   #217
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, but they are different cultures in other respects as well. I would lay odds that these other cultures don't perceive the same gravity of consequence for loss of family honor, just for starters.

We didn't upset the apple cart as much as you may believe (and this is not to diminish the brave sacrifices and contributions of abolitionists during that era). The Industrial revolution had more to do with abolition than John Brown and Nat Turner. The changing economic landscape is what brought about the end of slavery. See that in England the institution and trade were outlawed before they were here in the US.

And even when slavery was ended in the US, the objective economic reality for blacks was largely unchanged for a century afterwards. Sharecropping, segregation, lynching, and Jim Crow enforced material conditions on blacks that were hardly distinguishable from slavery in rural America.

The recognition that slavery was abhorrent is a luxury for those who don't depend on it for the maintenance of their positions of cultural privilege. Yes, some people will sacrifice their material advantages for the sake of another, but it's not so easily done, especially if the alternative is a total surrender of ones security and protection.
I understand that, it is not as if slavery was abolished and stopped dead and everyone lived happily ever afterwards. Just like Sati was only legal in some Indian states before the British came along and made it completely illegal and then it continued despite the new law.

Sadly I doubt honour killings will end completely. I am sure this will be similar to the campaign against female circumcision, (Female Genital Mutilation) where studies have shown tradition is by the major reason as to why it happens

http://www.path.org/files/FGM-The-Facts.htm

"FGM prevalence rates are slowly declining in some countries, as indicated by lower prevalence rates among adolescents (compared to older women). In Kenya, a 1991 survey showed that 78 percent of adolescents had undergone FGM, compared to 100 percent of women over 50.56 In the Sudan, another study revealed that the prevalence among 15- to 49-year-old women dropped from 99 percent in 1981 to 89 percent in 1990.57"
Old 9th November 2012, 10:04 AM   #218
joesixpack
Illuminator

Originally Posted by westprog View Post
This presupposes that there is no objective moral standard by which such practices can be judged. This is fundamental to the discussion. If one believes that it's possible to have an objective morality, then it's possible to view a system that allows children to be murdered by their parents as being inferior to a system that regards that as wrong.

If one doesn't accept objective morality, then it's difficult to see on what basis one can say that one culture is "better" than another. Even on a utilitarian basis, it's impossible to say that if the Afghans were to embrace Western culture, that it would lead to an improvement in their lives. We have the example in the USA of aboriginal peoples abandoning their traditional way of life for something closer to what is generally accepted. Are they "better" for it, if "better" is assigned some arbitrary value?
This is exactly the point I struggle with. As a materialist I most assuredly don't believe that there is an objective morality. But at the same time, I see it in my best interests that there BE some sort of morality, and I'd like it if it were objective.

Trotsky wrote a long essay ([url=http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/1938/morals/morals.htm]Their Morals and Ours[url]) about this very thing where he discussed the idea that morality has a class character.

"Whoever does not care to return to Moses, Christ or Mohammed; whoever is not satisfied with eclectic hodge-podges must acknowledge that morality is a product of social development; that there is nothing invariable about it; that it serves social interests; that these interests are contradictory; that morality more than any other form of ideology has a class character."

Quote:
I suspect that culture can be changed from without, but only by use of considerable force. I don't have the figures, but I think it highly likely that the number of people killed in the war in Afghanistan greatly exceeds the number killed by their own families.
Yes, on the body count, the Afghan women are much safer with their own culture than they are with US intervention. Of course, I don't think anyone here is endorsing the current application of US cultural engineering.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:19 AM   #219
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Who says? "the sanctity of human lives"
Added.
Who says?
Me.
I like mine. Keep your hands off it!
You can even have yours worry free.
Goddamned decent of me, that.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 10:23 AM   #220
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

No one is saying you're incorrect in much what you type; the wiggle is what to do to bring about change, since a number of us have witnessed change in less time than might be imagined.
Less than a year of exposure to Western values has changed some of the Middle Eastern people I see daily at the Mall. From almost the full burqa to western clothes, no hijab.... And working.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 10:24 AM   #221
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Who says?
The majority of evolved human brains. In case you hadn't noticed, morality is a function of the human brain and it evolved so that most of us are born with certain preset values. Some people have defective moral sections of their brains just as some people have no joy and we diagnose that as a mental illness. In fact, people with specific kinds of brain damage demonstrate what happens when the moral part of one's brain is damaged.

Your position of moral cultural relativism lacks a whole body of brain neurology knowledge.

Yes, people often override the moral inhibition to kill. First you have to define the person you want to kill as 'other than human'. That's what soldiers do. So the fact a culture defines looking at a boy as an offense punishable by death really is subject to scrutiny of the world body. We don't have differently evolved brains than these people.

But go on, keep posting your opinion, it isn't convincing. It's naive.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 10:28 AM   #222
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Because it's not his fault! The daughter was probably leading him on, but that's by the by...
Yeah, that easily accessible vagina was more incitement that the kid could handle...
As with all rapists. Own a vagina? Get raped.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:30 AM   #223
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This is exactly the point I struggle with. As a materialist I most assuredly don't believe that there is an objective morality. But at the same time, I see it in my best interests that there BE some sort of morality, and I'd like it if it were objective. ....
You might find a Google search for "the evolution of morality" will return some useful reading.

While an absolute measurement of things like beauty, love, and morality may not be as easy to pin down as pi, there is a neurobiological basis for these judgements. There is an objective component. Think of it more like a range than an absolute value, but still very much part of the material world.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 10:33 AM   #224
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Sadly I doubt honour killings will end completely. ...
It may take a generation or two, as the old "this is the way it must" guys die off, and more educated... especially educated people become the norm.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:36 AM   #225
Kaylee
Illuminator

I understand it is immoral to us and not to them. In any case there are very rigid social structures elsewhere in the world, including in the Middle East, where honour killings are not accepted.

We upset our own apple cart to the benefit of the whole of society by abolishing slavery. We recognised ourselves that it was wrong and did something about it. I do not see why we should wait around for those cultures who honour kill to do the same. It is called learning from your mistakes.
It's interesting that slavery has come up in this thread a few times. Nessie you're in Great Britain, right?

Per this BBC link, Great Britain took it upon herself to not only make slavery illegal in Great Britain, but to also ban trading in slavery on the Atlantic Ocean for everyone.

Quote:
While the 1807 act made trading in slaves illegal, there had been little consideration about how best to enforce the legislation.

<snip>

Ultimately, it took nearly 60 years of untiring diplomacy and naval patrolling to finally abolish the Atlantic slave trade.

<snip>

With peace in Europe from 1815, and British supremacy at sea secured, the Navy turned its attention back to the challenge and established the West Coast of Africa Station, known as the 'preventative squadron', which for the next 50 years operated against the slavers.

<snip>

The pursuit and capture of slave ships became celebrated naval engagements, widely reported back in peace-time Britain with its expanding print culture, and was often memorialised in souvenir engravings.

The night-time fire-fight of 6 June 1829 between the schooner 'Pickle' and the slaver 'Voladora' was well-known, as were the exploits of the schooner 'Monkey' against Spanish slave brigs off the Bahamas later that month.

HMS 'Buzzard' successfully chased and engaged the slaver 'Formidable' in 1834, the 'Electra' brought down a Carolina slaver with its human cargo in 1838, and 'Acorn' captured the rogue 'Gabriel' in the summer of 1841, to name just a few of the many sensationalised actions.

An expectant public could follow vivid accounts in the newspapers, while many of these 'battles' were also reported at home in watercolours and oil paintings, which helped sustain the positive reputation of the Navy, while also maintaining public interest in Britain's suppression activities.

Action was also taken against African leaders who refused to agree to British treaties to outlaw the trade, for example against 'the usurping King of Lagos', deposed in 1851.

Lines between the politics of slavery suppression and British expansionist ambitions become blurred. Anti-slavery treaties were signed with over 50 African rulers, but British motives were not entirely altruistic.
An interesting example of how Great Britain decided to impose her standards of morality on other countries. I doubt that most people posting in this thread have a problem with that, given what the particular issue was despite the fact that slavery was condoned in many cultures and by many religions.

Given that slavery still exists illegally, I wouldn't be surprised if slavery would have been more widely practiced legally even to this day if abolitionists had not decided to try to impose their idea of what was just on others.
Kaylee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 10:37 AM   #226
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The majority of evolved human brains. In case you hadn't noticed, morality is a function of the human brain and it evolved so that most of us are born with certain preset values. Some people have defective moral sections of their brains just as some people have no joy and we diagnose that as a mental illness. In fact, people with specific kinds of brain damage demonstrate what happens when the moral part of one's brain is damaged.

Your position of moral cultural relativism lacks a whole body of brain neurology knowledge.

Yes, people often override the moral inhibition to kill. First you have to define the person you want to kill as 'other than human'. That's what soldiers do. So the fact a culture defines looking at a boy as an offense punishable by death really is subject to scrutiny of the world body. We don't have differently evolved brains than these people.

That is a very good point. It is as if at some point in that past their brains were trained to over come somethings that the vast majority of people accept as normal, in this case killing the victim and/or killing for minor indiscretions.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:41 AM   #227
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kaylee View Post
It's interesting that slavery has come up in this thread a few times. Nessie you're in Great Britain, right?

Per this BBC link, Great Britain took it upon herself to not only make slavery illegal in Great Britain, but to also ban trading in slavery on the Atlantic Ocean for everyone.

An interesting example of how Great Britain decided to impose her standards of morality on other countries. I doubt that most people posting in this thread have a problem with that, given what the particular issue was despite the fact that slavery was condoned in many cultures and by many religions.

Given that slavery still exists illegally, I wouldn't be surprised if slavery would have been more widely practiced legally even to this day if abolitionists had not decided to try to impose their idea of what was just on others.
We have been great ones for imposing our ways on others, banning Sati and playing cricket being other notable ones. Of course the way it was done back then by direct rule and power would not work today.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:47 AM   #228
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

The majority of evolved human brains.
Oh I see - it's our majority that gives us the right to police cultures who practice things we don't like, especially those with brains less evolved than ours, like Pakistanis and Middle Eastern types? Wow...

In case you hadn't noticed, morality is a function of the human brain and it evolved so that most of us are born with certain preset values.
I hadn't noticed that. Do you have a link?

Yes, people often override the moral inhibition to kill. First you have to define the person you want to kill as 'other than human'. That's what soldiers do.
OK... I was gonna ask for a link for that too, but given that's just your unsubstantiated opinion I won't bother. Thanks for confirming you're just blowing hot air out of where you sit.

LOL! Yeah... Keep going.

Old 9th November 2012, 10:52 AM   #229
Kaylee
Illuminator

We have been great ones for imposing our ways on others, banning Sati and playing cricket being other notable ones.
Hmmm, feel strongly about cricket I see.

Quote:
Of course the way it was done back then by direct rule and power would not work today.
True. The international reaction to the black civil rights movement in America during the 1960s, and international boycotts (including consumer, sports, investment, etc) against South Africa because of its system of apartheid plus support of the civil resistance movement in South Africa before the 1990s are examples of ways that would still work today.
Kaylee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2012, 11:00 AM   #230
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

OK... I was gonna ask for a link for that too, but given that's just your unsubstantiated opinion I won't bother. Thanks for confirming you're just blowing hot air out of where you sit.

A quick search and here is an academic study of how moral indignation about killing can be suspended

http://muse.jhu.edu/login?auth=0&typ....4.bellamy.pdf

That is about mass civilian deaths during wars.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:07 AM   #231
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

A quick search and here is an academic study of how moral indignation about killing can be suspended

http://muse.jhu.edu/login?auth=0&typ....4.bellamy.pdf

That is about mass civilian deaths during wars.
Oh god. I don't think that article says what you think it says, and you do not know what I'm actually disagreeing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger
First you have to define the person you want to kill as 'other than human'. That's what soldiers do.
THAT load of tripe is what I am disagreeing with. It's been a while since I've read any opinion as ill-informed as that.

Old 9th November 2012, 11:14 AM   #232
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The article is about how killing of civilians is still accepted and those who do it still go unpunished in modern wars. It shows the reason for that is the need to win the war outweighs the need not to kill civilians and killing civilians can be excused as unfortunate and a mistake and we have called it collateral damage. So our culture can still suspend the moral code of not killing civilians during wars.

The Afghan culture has found it self in a position where it has permanently decided that killing of daughters is OK, despite knowing killing is wrong overall and has come up with an excuse to do so called honour.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:27 AM   #233
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

The article is about how killing of civilians is still accepted
Ugh... No it's not. Have you even READ the abstract? I doubt you've read the whole article - you need an academic log in for that.

This is the first line of the abstract:

Quote:
The norm of civilian immunity, which holds that civilians must not be intentionally targeted in war or subjected to mass killing, is widely supported and considered a jus cogens principle of international law.
The first FIVE WORDS of the abstract ALONE completely contradicts your interpretation of the article being about 'How the killing of civilians is still accepted'.

T
The Afghan culture has found it self in a position where it has permanently decided that killing of daughters is OK, despite knowing killing is wrong overall and has come up with an excuse to do so called honour.
Wait.. What?! They just suddenly decided recently that they want to kill their daughters, and then retrospectively thought they could justify it by making up an excuse of doing it for honour?!

Oh god. I... Oh god.

Old 9th November 2012, 11:46 AM   #234
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Quoted out of context, strawman and then argument by incredulity. Way to go in making whatever your point is.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:52 AM   #235
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Quoted out of context, strawman and then argument by incredulity. Way to go in making whatever your point is.
I can't work out whether you have reading comprehension problems; you're insane; or trolling.

What did I quote out of context? What strawman, and where did I make an argument from incredulity?

Old 9th November 2012, 12:04 PM   #236
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Out of context.

You quoted "The norm of civilian immunity, which holds that civilians must not be intentionally targeted in war or subjected to mass killing, is widely supported and considered a jus cogens principle of international law" which does contradict what I have said. But then what I have said becomes clear by including the next sentence "Yet not only does mass killing remain a recurrent feature of world politics, but perpetrators sometimes avoid criticism or punishment" So I have shown an instance of how whilst killing is not accepted, given some circumstances and it becomes accepted.

Strawman

"Wait.. What?! They just suddenly decided recently that they want to kill their daughters, and then retrospectively thought they could justify it by making up an excuse of doing it for honour?!". I did not say it was a recent development and if you go back to the links I first posted about honour killings and how they have developed you would see how they bare no relation to what you have said about retrospective justification. Anthropological studies suggest they developed for reasons of male dominance in the society,

"A complicated issue that cuts deep into the history of Arab society. .. What the men of the family, clan, or tribe seek control of in a patrilineal society is reproductive power. Women for the tribe were considered a factory for making men. The honour killing is not a means to control sexual power or behavior. What's behind it is the issue of fertility, or reproductive power."

"The right to life of women in Pakistan is conditional on their obeying social norms and traditions."

"... the predominantly Kurdish area of Turkey, has so far shown that little if any social stigma is attached to honor killing. It also comments that the practice is not related to a feudal societal structure, "there are also perpetrators who are well-educated university graduates. Of all those surveyed, 60 percent are either high school or university graduates or at the very least, literate."

see posts #37 and #42.

Argument by incredulity

"Oh god. I... Oh god"
Old 9th November 2012, 12:06 PM   #237
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I can't work out whether you have reading comprehension problems; you're insane; or trolling....
You left out the possibility you aren't being as clear as you believe you are.

So back to the neurobiology of morality, what specifically is it you need a citation to read about?
Old 9th November 2012, 12:33 PM   #238
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Out of context.

You quoted "The norm of civilian immunity, which holds that civilians must not be intentionally targeted in war or subjected to mass killing, is widely supported and considered a jus cogens principle of international law" which does contradict what I have said.
Yes it does.

But then what I have said becomes clear by including the next sentence "Yet not only does mass killing remain a recurrent feature of world politics, but perpetrators sometimes avoid criticism or punishment" So I have shown an instance of how whilst killing is not accepted, given some circumstances and it becomes accepted.
Except that what you said next was:

Quote:
and those who do it still go unpunished in modern wars
Which is not the same as
Quote:
but perpetrators sometimes avoid criticism or punishment
Bolding mine; do I have to explain why?

Anyway; there's no point arguing over an article you clearly haven't read and are not likely to be able to.

Strawman
Perhaps - but it was certainly not intentional...

Quote:
"Wait.. What?! They just suddenly decided recently that they want to kill their daughters, and then retrospectively thought they could justify it by making up an excuse of doing it for honour?!".
I did not say it was a recent development and if you go back to the links I first posted about honour killings and how they have developed you would see how they bare no relation to what you have said about retrospective justification. Anthropological studies suggest they developed for reasons of male dominance in the society,
Let's look at what you did say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessie

'Has found itself' - not 'had', but 'has' - suggesting recent developments.

'Has permanently decided that killing of daughters is OK..' - 'has' again, suggesting recent developments. Also using the word 'decided', implies this was not something that began thousands of years ago and evolved, but a firm decision.

'Has come up with an excuse' - 'has' again, not 'had' - this whole sentence suggests that thousands of males across the Middle East consulted each other and came up with a unified decision along the lines of "Right - we like killing our daughters, but we're gonna need some sort of excuse if we want to keep doing it. Does everyone agree on 'Family Honour?'"

Now you may not think that's what you said, but can you see how it LOOKS like that's what you were saying? That's why I replied to you in the form of a question, because it LOOKED like that was what you were saying, and I was asking for confirmation.

So no Strawman.

Now let's have a look at your quotes:

Quote:
"A complicated issue that cuts deep into the history of Arab society. .. What the men of the family, clan, or tribe seek control of in a patrilineal society is reproductive power. Women for the tribe were considered a factory for making men. The honour killing is not a means to control sexual power or behavior. What's behind it is the issue of fertility, or reproductive power."

"The right to life of women in Pakistan is conditional on their obeying social norms and traditions."

"... the predominantly Kurdish area of Turkey, has so far shown that little if any social stigma is attached to honor killing. It also comments that the practice is not related to a feudal societal structure, "there are also perpetrators who are well-educated university graduates. Of all those surveyed, 60 percent are either high school or university graduates or at the very least, literate."

see posts #37 and #42.
For reasons of male dominance? Quite possibly, but as you were cherry-picking through Wikipedia, you missed one:

Quote:
As noted by Christian Arab writer, Norma Khouri, honor killings originate from the belief that a woman’s chastity is the property of her families, a cultural norm that comes "from our ancient tribal days, from the Hammurabi and Assyrian tribes of 1200 B.C."

Argument by incredulity

Quote:
"Oh god. I... Oh god"
There's no argument there. Show me where you think there is one. Or I could save you time and just tell you that it is simply just the sounds of despair.

Last edited by SatansMaleVoiceChoir; 9th November 2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 9th November 2012, 12:36 PM   #239
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

So back to the neurobiology of morality, what specifically is it you need a citation to read about?
That it has actually been confirmed, for starters. ETA: From Birth.

However, I am very interested in where you pulled this gem from:

Quote:
First you have to define the person you want to kill as 'other than human'. That's what soldiers do.
I'd be very interested to see your source for that. Let's not let that little beauty go adrift...

Last edited by SatansMaleVoiceChoir; 9th November 2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 9th November 2012, 12:49 PM   #240
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
Yeah, that easily accessible vagina was more incitement that the kid could handle...
As with all rapists. Own a vagina? Get raped.
Maybe if you read back a bit in the conversation between Nessie and I, you might detect a tone of sarcasm in the whole paragraph that you quoted from...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy