IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 14th June 2018, 04:09 AM   #161
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I reject any notion that there are rules of civility, decency, respect or honor that could apply to Trump, the members of his family of age involved in his administration or campaign, or his direct supporters. I would never advocate for violence (though I recognize and am indifferent to the risks dehumanizing him entails) or an extra legal end to his presidency. We're still a strong enough nation to deal with a traitor within the confines of the law.
If the senate and house don't change parties this fall, I fear that the nation will not be sufficiently strong to deal with Trump. The GOP are cementing their power with new voter surpression initiatives, and we know Trump's foreign masters are gearing up for more propaganda campaigns. There's also the fact that a substantial part of the US population get their information from a source that consistently lies to them, creating an alternative reality bubble for them to inhabit.

It's now or never. Either the Democrats wrest power back from those who stole it, or US democracy dies.

Expecting a 'lol' from fascism-enablers on the forum.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 07:26 AM   #162
The Big Dog

If people don't vote exactly the way I want them to vote, then democracy is DEAD. Just DEAD.

Fortunately we have a strong leader, one who is not above lying to extract REGIME CHANGE.

We need a strong leader like Robert Mueller again....
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 07:49 AM   #163
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
If people don't vote exactly the way I want them to vote, then democracy is DEAD. Just DEAD.

Fortunately we have a strong leader, one who is not above lying to extract REGIME CHANGE.

We need a strong leader like Robert Mueller again....
While I think that Uke's post was over the top, your response takes it to a whole new level. You didn't have to go straw man here. You could have responded to what he said.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 10:44 AM   #164
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
You could have responded to what he said.
Evidence?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 11:19 AM   #165
The Big Dog

Here is the opposition to Mueller's overreaching and silly request for a protective order.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...pposition.html

if you get the impression that they are being a bit derisive, you might be right
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 11:23 AM   #166
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by logger View Post
It all depends on what Cohen had and if Trump got any parking tickets. We wont know until someone leaks it or the government announces it. I bet loser libs are pissed nothing has been found yet. A billionaire like Trump with all the deals he’s made has to have done something against the law. So we’ll surely find out what it was and if anyone cares about it.
Well if the stupid, idiotic, lying, greedy, unprincipled Republicans cannot save their own, then that is to be expected from filth like them.
Old 14th June 2018, 11:25 AM   #167
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I could be wrong, but Im sure you’d be pissed if these corrupt officials did it to you. Rosenstein...please, he’s as corrupt as they come.
I’m sure you haven’t been paying attention to the congress trying to do oversight and guess who’s standing in the way, he’s even been caught trying to hide things. Yes, you guessed it, that upstanding corruptocrat Rod Rosenstein.
Republicans complaining about a Republican-led conspiracy against Republicans will never stop being hilarious in its absurdity.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 11:33 AM   #168
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Republicans complaining about a Republican-led conspiracy against Republicans will never stop being hilarious in its absurdity.
These trump fans are NOT republican.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 11:48 AM   #169
The Big Dog

Bombshell: OIG Report Released Today Critical of FBI Russia Investigation

Quote:
Even more seriously, text messages between Strzok and Page pertaining to the Russia investigation, particularly a text message from Strzok on August 8 stating “No.No he’s not.We’ll stop it.” in response to a Page text “[Trump’s] not ever going to become president, right?Right?!,”are not only indicative of a biased state of mind but imply a willingness to take official action to impact a presidential candidate’s electoral prospects.
Wow....
Old 14th June 2018, 11:52 AM   #170
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
These trump fans are NOT republican.

No. You're confused (which is understandable under the circumstances).

Republicans who are not Trump fans willing to excuse, abet, or cover up whatever he does are not Republicans.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 12:02 PM   #171
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Wow....
Are you really surprised that two adult Americans in August of 2016 thought it unlikely that Trump would be president?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 12:02 PM   #172
The Big Dog

Here is the opposition to Mueller's overreaching and silly request for a protective order.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...pposition.html

if you get the impression that they are being a bit derisive, you might be right
“Fake law.. more dangerous than fake news”

This is getting embarrassing.
Old 14th June 2018, 12:04 PM   #173
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Wow....
Yawn. You keep pretending these 2 low level individuals were doing anything more than talking out their asses.
Old 14th June 2018, 12:08 PM   #174
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
If the senate and house don't change parties this fall, I fear that the nation will not be sufficiently strong to deal with Trump. The GOP are cementing their power with new voter surpression initiatives, and we know Trump's foreign masters are gearing up for more propaganda campaigns. There's also the fact that a substantial part of the US population get their information from a source that consistently lies to them, creating an alternative reality bubble for them to inhabit.

It's now or never. Either the Democrats wrest power back from those who stole it, or US democracy dies.

Expecting a 'lol' from fascism-enablers on the forum.
This is just chicken little scaremongering. Whether trump is indicted, or serves a second term, either way the pendulum will swing and the Democrats win again, sooner or later.

The biggest danger currently, is over reaction and setting bad precedents.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 12:15 PM   #175
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

"Now that I am back from Singapore, where we had a great result with respect to North Korea, the thought process must sadly go back to the Witch Hunt, always remembering that there was No Collusion and No Obstruction of the fabricated No Crime."

"So, the Democrats make up a phony crime, Collusion with the Russians, pay a fortune to make the crime sound real, illegally leak (Comey) classified information so that a Special Councel will be appointed, and then Collude to make this pile of garbage take on life in Fake News!"

"
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 12:24 PM   #176
The Big Dog

The OIG report released today is a nightmare for Mueller:

FBI Attorney 1 responded, “Is it
making you rethink your commitment
to the Trump administration?”
FBI Attorney 2replied, “Hell no.” and then added, “Viva le resistance.”

Both of these attorneys were assigned to Mueller's team....
Old 14th June 2018, 12:32 PM   #177
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
This is just chicken little scaremongering. Whether trump is indicted, or serves a second term, either way the pendulum will swing and the Democrats win again, sooner or later.

I'm not so sure. My thesis in College was how it could happen here. Hitler was elected. Putin was elected Erdogan was elected. Hugo Chavez was elected. The list goes on.

Taking democracy for granted seems to be the much larger danger. I everyday see rednecks waving the flag from the back of pickup trucks and yet they don't have a clue about the founding fathers and core principles. Checks and balances, the rule of law freedom of speech and press and to peacefully assemble and petition the government are what makes this country special. It's not the flag, God, mom or Apple pie.

Civil and honest discourse is by far the most important ingredient. And yet this President and his supporters work to create a hostile environment to those principles.

Trump is running the dictator's handbook. Disinformation, distrust and insanity. He thinks the government should work for him, not us. I wish everyone today would read George Orwell's 1984 as it is playing out in front of us in real life.
Old 14th June 2018, 12:33 PM   #178
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
For better or worse, "democracy" is not a simple, binary concept (you have it or you don't.) It is actually a range... the U.S. was considered a "democracy" for years even though women weren't allowed to vote. Its still a democracy even though you have gerrymandering and voter suppression.

While the U.S. may continue to exist as a "democracy" (or partial democracy) after Trump is gone from the scene, that doesn't mean that it hasn't been harmed. Even know, the U.S. is ranked as a "flawed democracy", and the type of things that have been done by Trump and the Republicans to harm democracy will probably take decades or years to overcome. (Just how long are we supposed to wait for all the anti-democratic actions done by the Republicans to be undone? One decade? Two?)

I don't think its wrong to be upset that the country that had considered itself the "leader of the free world" is now considered a "flawed democracy".

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 12:35 PM   #179
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You're talking nonsense. You pretend that people cant hold political beliefs and still do their jobs fairly. Get a grip.
Old 14th June 2018, 12:44 PM   #180
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Yawn. You keep pretending these 2 low level individuals were doing anything more than talking out their asses.
On the Trump side, there were a lot of coffee boys in the top tier of the campaign.

On the FBI side, one agent got busted with private emails he hated Trump. I believe there were also a few that he hated Clinton, but I digress.

Said FBI agent was immediately taken off the FBI investigation of Russian interference with the US election and any investigation Trump was in on it. That was over a year ago.

In the meantime said Trump coffee boys have been indicted or pleaded guilty to various charges. Some are said to be giving Mueller incriminating evidence against others in the Trump campaign. We know some of them at a minimum lied to the FBI, suggesting they had something to lie about.

In the meantime Trumpers bring out Strozk over and over and over as if he alone is the deep state.

Can they point to a single thing Strozk influenced in the investigation? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 12:46 PM   #181
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

???
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 12:47 PM   #182
The Big Dog

Another bombshell:

From the IG report:

Quote:
"Under these circumstances, we did NOT have confidence that Strzok’s decision to prioritize the Russia investigation OVER following up on the Midyear-related investigative lead discovered on the Weiner laptop was free from bias."
Old 14th June 2018, 12:50 PM   #183
BobTheCoward
Banned

Now that sounds like conversations I had in the Navy.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 01:29 PM   #184
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
???
I take the long view when considering the health of a constitutional democracy. Better a bad president than a bad precedent.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 01:43 PM   #185
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I take the long view when considering the health of a constitutional democracy. Better a bad president than a bad precedent.
You claimed there was a danger of setting bad precedents.

You can't get any worse precedent setting than we have with Trump.
Old 14th June 2018, 02:02 PM   #186
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You claimed there was a danger of setting bad precedents.

You can't get any worse precedent setting than we have with Trump.
There’s all kinds of terrible precedents.

Political differences labeled psychiatric disorders.
Removal of democratically elected officials by “any means”
Nuclear option in the senate

Basically, you are exceeding Putin’s wildest hopes.
Old 14th June 2018, 03:22 PM   #187
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There’s all kinds of terrible precedents.

Political differences labeled psychiatric disorders.
Removal of democratically elected officials by “any means”
Nuclear option in the senate

Basically, you are exceeding Putin’s wildest hopes.
Overwhelming evidence of a psychiatric disorder dismissed as partisan politics.

Trying to dismiss legitimate criminal investigations by the FBI and the special prosecutor as partisan because one FBI agent didn't like Trump.

Attacking anyone that criticizes Trump be it a Federal Judge or a state AG investigating a charity fraud as partisan.

Trying to use the State Department to go after one's political enemies.

Nuclear option in the Senate???? Puhleese.

Exceeding Putin's wildest hopes, you got that part right, Trump is indeed the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 14th June 2018, 03:28 PM   #188
The Big Dog

One FBI agent? I like that the guy who was leading the investigation is referred to as "one agent" plus his gal pal, plus all the other ones quoted in the report today, five of which were referred to the FBI.

Just one guy fellas, don't worry about it.

"we were particularly concerned about text messages sent
by Strzok and Page that potentially indicated or created the appearance that investigative decisions they made
were impacted by bias or improper considerations.
Most of the text messages raising such questions
pertained to the Russia investigation, and the
implication in some of these text messages, particularly
Strzok’s August 8 text message (“we’ll stop” candidate
Trump from being elected), was that Strzok might be
willing to take official action to impact a presidential
candidate’s electoral prospects. Under these
circumstances, we did not have confidence that Strzok’s
decision to prioritize the Russia investigation over
following up on the Midyear-related investigative lead
discovered on the Weiner laptop was free from bias.

"we'll stop" Trump. Which was sent a week after Crossfire Hurricane started by the top guy on the investigation. Sounds legit

Last edited by The Big Dog; 14th June 2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 14th June 2018, 03:58 PM   #189
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You're talking nonsense. You pretend that people cant hold political beliefs and still do their jobs fairly. Get a grip.

In a Trump administration all loyalty by each and every government employee must be to Supreme Leader Trump first, foremost, and above all else.

Loyalty to the U.S.A., it's laws, the precepts of democracy, or the requirements and responsibilities of that employee's job must come after that.

Anything less is obviously part of a conspiracy to depose the Supreme Leader Trump.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 14th June 2018 at 04:01 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 04:44 PM   #190
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
In a Trump administration all loyalty by each and every government employee must be to Supreme Leader Trump first, foremost, and above all else.

Loyalty to the U.S.A., it's laws, the precepts of democracy, or the requirements and responsibilities of that employee's job must come after that.

Anything less is obviously part of a conspiracy to depose the Supreme Leader Trump.
Surely it has to do with his projection. Given he's a dishonest partisan hack that would use US institutions to damage his enemies, of course he believes that's how everyone acts.
Old 14th June 2018, 04:50 PM   #191
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

One FBI agent? I like that the guy who was leading the investigation is referred to as "one agent" plus his gal pal, plus all the other ones quoted in the report today, five of which were referred to the FBI.

by Strzok and Page that potentially indicated or created the appearance that investigative decisions they made

"we'll stop" Trump. Which was sent a week after Crossfire Hurricane started by the top guy on the investigation. Sounds legit
"We found no evidence that the conclusions by Department prosecutors were affected by bias or other improper considerations; rather, we determined that they were based on the prosecutors' assessment of the facts, the law, and past Department practice”
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 04:56 PM   #192
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Oh bull crap. You have ABSOLUTELY no information that they did anything more than talk. They opposed the election of Donald Trump. Lots of people did.
Old 14th June 2018, 05:16 PM   #193
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
"We found no evidence that the conclusions by Department prosecutors were affected by bias or other improper considerations; rather, we determined that they were based on the prosecutors' assessment of the facts, the law, and past Department practice”
Anyone notice that I talk about the FBI and the reply is about Department prosecutors?

Yeah, people quoting that line to you are lying to you. DOJ prosecutors are not the FBI
Old 14th June 2018, 05:29 PM   #194
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone notice that I talk about the FBI and the reply is about Department prosecutors?

Yeah, people quoting that line to you are lying to you. DOJ prosecutors are not the FBI
Anyone notice the nonsense in that post?
Old 14th June 2018, 09:01 PM   #195
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Are you really surprised that two adult Americans in August of 2016 thought it unlikely that Trump would be president?
Or that they really didn't want it? The suggestion that they would be willing to actually take some action to try to prevent Trump from becoming President is, in fact, not a particularly telling one. Nor does it even so much as imply that any unlawful, unprofessional, or unethical behavior actually occurred.

As the report said, though, it is indeed distinctly possible that the checking of e-mails was not prioritized over concerns about Russian links to the Trump campaign in part because of bias, though, regardless of whether it would have been done the same way even without bias in play. That's really not the smoking gun that those like The Big Dog seem to want it to be, though. "Bias" seems to have become the right's "racism." Certainly an issue, but one that's frequently assumed or blown comically out of proportion whenever they feel like it, regardless of the truth of the matter.

Last edited by Aridas; 14th June 2018 at 10:14 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 09:15 PM   #196
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Setting dangerous precedents? You like Trump, Congress and the Senate have been doing?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th June 2018, 02:13 AM   #197
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that Cohen feels that Trump and his allies are turning on him
Old 15th June 2018, 02:16 AM   #198
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

FWIW, WRT the Strzok prioritising Russia over Clinton thing: https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...28186445828101

Quote:
The OIG report suggests that Strzok may have prioritized the Russia probe over the Clinton email probe because he didn't like Trump.
Strzok's lawyer has some thoughts.

Old 15th June 2018, 02:22 AM   #199
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I think this is the dangerous "it can't happen here" mentality showing again. It can and is happening there. The party in power is openly cementing its power through various means. The US is rightfully sliding downwards on the democracy index. The ostrich mentality isn't going to work anymore.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th June 2018, 03:00 AM   #200
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
FWIW, WRT the Strzok prioritising Russia over Clinton thing: https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...28186445828101
It may be worth repeating that the report says that they cannot discount that bias may have been in play in the first place. It did not say that the decisions actually made were wrong there.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics