IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 16th June 2018, 12:11 AM   #241
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

"Wow, what a tough sentence for Paul Manafort, who has represented Ronald Reagan, Bob Dole and many other top political people and campaigns. Didn’t know Manafort was the head of the Mob. What about Comey and Crooked Hillary and all of the others? Very unfair!"

He was not sentenced. The judge revoked his bail, sending him to jail before trial, because he allegedly committed more crimes while on house arrest.
Reality is as Trump perceives it.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th June 2018, 02:56 AM   #242
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Cohen reportedly telling friends and family that he's ready to cooperate

Trump, meanwhile is claiming that he's not spoken to Cohen "in a long time". Soon we'll find out that Cohen was nothing more than a covfefe boy.
Old 16th June 2018, 03:16 AM   #243
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Cohen reportedly telling friends and family that he's ready to cooperate

Trump, meanwhile is claiming that he's not spoken to Cohen "in a long time". Soon we'll find out that Cohen was nothing more than a covfefe boy.
I think Trump once saw him in passing in the Trump Tower's lobby.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th June 2018, 06:09 AM   #244
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Amazing.
I think the word you're looking for is "typical"
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th June 2018, 06:44 AM   #245
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Oh I didn't respond to the post? Well it was just copy pasta of arguments from Mueller's arguments and thus a waste of time. I posted the defendants response which nuked it from orbit, y'all get a chance to read that?

And yes, the judge did not grant Mueller's motion and just kicked the can down the road.
Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Amazing.
Not amazing at all. By the way I took the time to post my entire post which you unsurprisingly deleted.

Did you read the response yet?
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th June 2018, 07:24 AM   #246
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Rudy Giuliani tells @NYDailyNews "things might get cleaned up with some presidential pardons" when the "whole thing is over" in light of Paul Manafort being sent to jail.

Can't link to it as it's not available in Europe.

But here is a link to a tweet with a link to the story

https://twitter.com/C_Sommerfeldt/st...98249246003209
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th June 2018, 07:35 AM   #247
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
A good point. Although it is not clear, short of evidence for an unambiguous quid pro quo, that this kind of thing can be prosecuted...
I find it hard to believe that a quid pro quo agreement would be documented in writing. I tend to think it would be a wink-wink, nudge-nudge sort of thing. But then again, with dim bulbs such as the Trumps ("I love it")...
Old 16th June 2018, 07:42 AM   #248
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"The IG Report totally destroys James Comey and all of his minions including the great lovers, Peter Strzok and Lisa Page, who started the disgraceful Witch Hunt against so many innocent people. It will go down as a dark and dangerous period in American History!"
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th June 2018, 07:48 AM   #249
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Trump Tweets

"The IG Report totally destroys James Comey and all of his minions including the great lovers, Peter Strzok and Lisa Page, who started the disgraceful Witch Hunt against so many innocent people. It will go down as a dark and dangerous period in American History!"
I think the Conservative Treehouse guy is now writing Trump's tweets for him.
Old 16th June 2018, 10:02 AM   #250
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Paul Manafort in jail, Michael Flynn guilty plea will go to prison, Rick Gates guilty plea will go to prison, Papadopoulos guilty plea, will go to prison, Michael Cohen will be arrested within days, Roger Stone will be arrested soon.

So much winning!
Old 16th June 2018, 10:10 AM   #251
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Only the best covfefe boys.
Old 16th June 2018, 10:36 AM   #252
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

No one in the news media has yet called Trump on this one:

Trump saying it was unfair to go back 12 years to get things on Manafort as if you get away with something for 12 years it is no longer a crime.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th June 2018, 11:33 AM   #253
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I find it hard to believe that a quid pro quo agreement would be documented in writing. I tend to think it would be a wink-wink, nudge-nudge sort of thing. But then again, with dim bulbs such as the Trumps ("I love it")...

Yes, this kind of thing is one of the reasons that I think it is difficult to predict how this goes for Trump.

ETA: Another issue here, I think, is that some of the crimes that Trump might be guilty of are the kind of crimes that partisans aren't all that opposed to. If Trump cheated or broke laws to win the election his supporters aren't going to be all that upset. They wanted him to win and he won. They're happy. I think this is an area where there is symmetry between Republican and Democratic voters. If at the end of this investigation all there is against Trump is strong evidence of direct campaign law violations I don't think the Republicans will vote to impeach him.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb

Last edited by davefoc; 16th June 2018 at 11:42 AM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th June 2018, 12:12 PM   #254
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

... If at the end of this investigation all there is against Trump is strong evidence of direct campaign law violations I don't think the Republicans will vote to impeach him.
So you don't expect they are uncovering tax fraud, money laundering, accepting bribes, and violating the Emoluments Clause? As for not touching Trump, if his kids are charged you know he'll pardon them and the GOP won't care.

Do comments like Trump complaining how unfair it was that the feds went back 12 years looking at Manafort's crimes make you wonder if that isn't because the whole Trump enterprise has been a criminal empire for decades?

I don't expect the GOP legislators to impeach Trump no matter the crimes Mueller uncovers. They've already shown their hands repeating Trump's talking points about the immigration travesty. They've shown their hands through the House Intelligence Committee investigation, whitewashed by Nunes and allowed by Ryan.

The right-wing was willing to pounce on Clinton (Bill) for a pretty minor perjury charge, lying about an affair. But you wait, despite what looks to be some serious crimes here, the GOP will look the other way.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 16th June 2018 at 12:13 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th June 2018, 01:06 PM   #255
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Paul Manafort in jail, Michael Flynn guilty plea will go to prison, Rick Gates guilty plea will go to prison, Papadopoulos guilty plea, will go to prison, Michael Cohen will be arrested within days, Roger Stone will be arrested soon.

So much winning!
All will be pardoned IMO - none will serve any time.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th June 2018, 02:40 PM   #256
NoahFence
Banned

Not amazing at all. By the way I took the time to post my entire post which you unsurprisingly deleted.

Did you read the response yet?
??

You have problems with people replying to you but removing most of your post that they quoted?

Good to know.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th June 2018, 02:49 PM   #257
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So you don't expect they are uncovering tax fraud, money laundering, accepting bribes, and violating the Emoluments Clause? As for not touching Trump, if his kids are charged you know he'll pardon them and the GOP won't care...

I really don't know what the evidence against Trump is right now or for what crimes. I think Trump has routinely broken laws throughout his life in all kinds of ways. There are many issues as to whether this kind of stuff will lead to his being forced out of office.
1. As I mentioned above, crimes that were for the purpose of getting him elected will be largely excused by his supporters. Impeachment/forcing a president out of office is political and absolute proof of this kind of crimes might not be enough to lead to the forced removal of Trump from office.
2. Unequivocal proof of quid pro quo arrangements with the Russians would probably lead to the forced removal of Trump from office, but this kind of crime is difficult to prove in unequivocal ways and any wiggle room will be enough for Trump's supporters on this.
3. There may be evidence of Trump's cooperation with organized crime. This might be accepted by partisans as Trump just acting in the way that was necessary for the kind of business he was in. Not enough is known about this right now to make a very good guess IMO.
4. There probably is more evidence to come out of Trump's racist chit chat and Trump's misogynistic ways. A lot of Trump's supporters are mildly to strongly racist so this won't bother them all that much. More Trump racism will make it difficult for Fox News because advertisers who are trying to sell stuff to everybody won't subsidize Fox News support of a racist president.
5. Trump's relentless corruption with regard to the way he exploits the presidency to line his pockets is unlikely to do him in IMO. The Republicans have essentially acted to allow it. It is hardly any kind of crime if it is accepted by congress. He might lose some court decisions on this but they won't do him in IMO.
6. Trump seems to have violated some laws with regard to his willingness to do business with Ukrainian and Russian organized crime. I don't think enough is known publicly about this to make reasoned guesses as to how this might go. Cohen and potentially Manafort probably know what the extent of Trump's crimes are with regard to this. It may not be essential that either of them flips on Trump to do Trump in. There may be enough evidence on this with what was seized from Manafort and Cohen to do Trump in or possibly not.
7. Various income tax violations are another area where Trump might be at risk because most people don't honestly report their income from illegal activities. Again not enough information about this is public right now, but doing Trump in for income tax violations doesn't seem likely to me.
ETA: I should have added his foundation BS to the list
8. Trump and his children are in trouble because of his foundation shenanigans. It will be embarrassing for Trump and dangling pardons can't help him because a state is prosecuting this. I don't expect this to do him in either though. He will try to pay some fines and end it. He will falsely claim it is a political prosecution (he's already doing that) and that will be enough for his supporters. While he is in office the state can't prosecute him anyway, but the prosecutions of his children will be interesting.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb

Last edited by davefoc; 16th June 2018 at 03:00 PM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th June 2018, 08:37 PM   #258
Cain
Straussian

If Trump cheated or broke laws to win the election his supporters aren't going to be all that upset. They wanted him to win and he won. They're happy. I think this is an area where there is symmetry between Republican and Democratic voters. If at the end of this investigation all there is against Trump is strong evidence of direct campaign law violations I don't think the Republicans will vote to impeach him.
Democrat supporters are upset because he won playing their dirty game. A traditional Republican cuck would've just taken a beating, but Trump punched back. He didn't collude with Russia, but if he had it's totally forgivable and OK. In fact, it would've been the patriotic thing to do. Better Putin than Clinton.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th June 2018, 03:45 AM   #259
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

...except for all the colluding he did with Russia.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th June 2018, 09:46 AM   #260
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...30219796668416

Quote:
Flashback. August 19, 2016. Newt Gingrich: "Nobody should underestimate how much Paul Manafort did to really help get this campaign to where it is right now."
Old 17th June 2018, 10:08 AM   #261
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
...except for all the colluding he did with Russia.
You really don’t know what that word means do you?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th June 2018, 10:50 AM   #262
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets.

When you read this imagine he is talking in his sleep.

"WITCH HUNT! There was no Russian Collusion. Oh, I see, there was no Russian Collusion, so now they look for obstruction on the no Russian Collusion. The phony Russian Collusion was a made up Hoax. Too bad they didn’t look at Crooked Hillary like this. Double Standard!"
Old 17th June 2018, 11:22 AM   #263
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Recent revelations have made this Seth Abramson thread about the threatened leaks in October 2016 relevant again. There are new addenda at the end.

And this is relevant: https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...09338434768898

Quote:
The media reports that Department of Justice Inspector General Michael Horowitz will be issuing a *separate* report of some kind on the FBI leaks to the Trump campaign in October '16, i.e. the #OctoberConspiracy. Nunes will be caught.

*That* is the report America is waiting for.
This is a relevant story, and this is the tweet that explains why it's relevant: https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...01912142729216

Quote:
So Nunes—who has the *same intelligence clearance* as Adam Schiff—says he had to *hide* from Schiff, for 18 months, that rogue pro-Trump FBI agents were illegally leaking to him pre-election because the leaked intel was classified?

Guess what—the October Conspiracy is very real.
Old 17th June 2018, 02:01 PM   #264
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Recent revelations have made this Seth Abramson thread about the threatened leaks in October 2016 relevant again. There are new addenda at the end.

And this is relevant: https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...09338434768898

This is a relevant story, and this is the tweet that explains why it's relevant: https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...01912142729216
I assume you posted this in the wrong thread, but it bears stating that The Poet does not have a *********** clue about anything.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th June 2018, 02:08 PM   #265
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
The stupid... It burns!
It's America's new, inexhaustible fuel source.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th June 2018, 03:49 PM   #266
plague311
Great minds think...

I assume you posted this in the wrong thread, but it bears stating that The Poet does not have a *********** clue about anything.
That's a pretty ****** argument without anything to back it up. Let me guess, "a bunch of people" have been saying it, right?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th June 2018, 04:03 PM   #267
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

There's an entire thread dedicated to the credibility (or otherwise) of Abramson. I'd suggests that posts on that topic ought to go in that thread, rather than attempting to derail this one.
Old 17th June 2018, 06:36 PM   #268
NoahFence
Banned

America was attacked. You support that. Using a new thread, why do you support that?
Old 18th June 2018, 03:16 AM   #269
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Why was the FBI’s sick loser, Peter Strzok, working on the totally discredited Mueller team of 13 Angry & Conflicted Democrats, when Strzok was giving Crooked Hillary a free pass yet telling his lover, lawyer Lisa Page, that “we’ll stop” Trump from becoming President? Witch Hunt!"

“The highest level of bias I’ve ever witnessed in any law enforcement officer.” Trey Gowdy on the FBI’s own, Peter Strzok. Also remember that they all worked for Slippery James Comey and that Comey is best friends with Robert Mueller. A really sick deal, isn’t it?
Old 18th June 2018, 04:47 AM   #270
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
I take the long view when considering the health of a constitutional democracy. Better a bad president than a bad precedent.

Bad presidents are bad precedents. Especially the kind of bad that Trump represents.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 12:51 PM   #271
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Bad presidents are bad precedents. Especially the kind of bad that Trump represents.
We can survive a bad president. But bad precedents will affect all future presidents, whether they're good or bad.
Old 18th June 2018, 01:14 PM   #272
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
We can survive a bad president. But bad precedents will affect all future presidents, whether they're good or bad.
Well, if what you say is true, the dumbass we've elected will definitely put it to the test. He's strained most alliances we have and seems to repeatedly claim that every single alliance and trade policy we have is bad for the US. Yet, over the previous 8 years we were doing significantly better with our economy and jobs outlook. Now, things are quite as bright. The threat of trade wars has made people hesitant, and this big blathering ******* can't seem to make an informed decision to save his life.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 01:16 PM   #273
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

What about a bad President that makes bad precedents?
Old 18th June 2018, 02:17 PM   #274
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Comey gave Strozk his marching orders. Mueller is Comey’s best friend. Witch Hunt!"
Old 18th June 2018, 03:18 PM   #275
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Bad presidents are bad precedents because they set bad precedents. The worse the more.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 18th June 2018 at 03:19 PM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 03:57 AM   #276
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Giuliani has admitted that his calls last week for the Mueller investigation to be halted in the wake of Horowitz's report was just hot air
Old 19th June 2018, 07:09 AM   #277
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"I can’t think of something more concerning than a law enforcement officer suggesting that their going to use their powers to affect an election!” Inspector General Horowitz on what was going on with numerous people regarding my election. A Rigged Witch Hunt!p"
Old 19th June 2018, 07:35 AM   #278
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

He's talking about the FBI agents who leaked to Nunes and Giuliani, right?
Old 19th June 2018, 09:46 AM   #279
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Erik Prince has said that he has cooperated with Mueller
Old 19th June 2018, 01:03 PM   #280
Monza
Alta Viro

Trump Tweets

"I can’t think of something more concerning than a law enforcement officer suggesting that their going to use their powers to affect an election!” Inspector General Horowitz on what was going on with numerous people regarding my election. A Rigged Witch Hunt!p"

* they're

If I was sending a tweet out to millions of people, I would proof-read more often.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics