ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mice

Old 14th June 2019, 06:17 AM   #41
lauwersw
Scholar

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Mouse + hammer = problem solved.
Yeah, I can see how that works. If the mouse is always turning right, making it carry the hammer on its left side will ensure it goes in a straight line again. Genius!
lauwersw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 06:29 AM   #42
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

How do I get to the cheese?
Turn left.

Well if there are no further directions or update then the mouse is going to keep turning left until it gets to the cheese. It would be stupid for it to stop turning just before it reaches the cheese. So it keeps going, which is actually pretty smart.
Old 14th June 2019, 10:29 AM   #43
autumn1971
Master Poster

Mouse NASCAR?
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 11:10 AM   #44
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Mouse + hammer = problem solved.
You need to add a blindfold, a few friends, betting money, and beer. That way, it's sporting AND entertaining.
Old 14th June 2019, 11:13 AM   #45
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My theory: The mouse can't keep thinking about Trump, and can't stop thinking about Trump.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 12:10 PM   #46
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
My theory: The mouse can't keep thinking about Trump, and can't stop thinking about Trump.
AHA! So you finally admit it's all Trump's fault!

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 12:19 PM   #47
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

When my daughter was a kid in the fall when mice started invading the house, we'd stay up late and shoot them with .177 pellet guns
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 12:19 PM   #48
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Mouse NASCAR?
If the OP fell asleep while watching the mouse go in circles would that prove that it was, in fact, Mouse NASCAR?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 01:07 PM   #49
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Trying to impress Minnie?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 01:38 PM   #50
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
If the OP fell asleep while watching the mouse go in circles would that prove that it was, in fact, Mouse NASCAR?
No, he was just mousmerized.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 02:32 PM   #51
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
No, he was just mousmerized.
TLA bait.

Please nobody bite.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 03:15 PM   #52
JeanTate
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Perhaps the mouse has developed a hearing problem from an unsafe vaccine while doing full immersion VR on a flat earth on board a plane you've never heard of.
You left out that the mouse was told, by the gods, that a giant lightning bolt was about to strike, creating a new Grand Canyon or a new giant comet. Poor mouse was so terrified that it ran in circles ... not realizing that this was the exact signal the gods were looking out for ... it told them they had the wrong planet! Evidence? Well, there’s no new Grand Canyon, or giant comet, is there?
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 03:48 PM   #53
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

hahaha ok guys and gals very funny, but I think the question wasn't answered seriously well enough yet.

The mouse has become unbalanced and dizzy due to a problem with its inner ear. Could be infection or parasite, physical damage, or pressure from a tumor, but in any case the mouse is dizzy and its equilibrium is unbalanced. It would be much like a human who drank so much the night before that in the morning the bed was spinning. (been there, done that, never again) or like the bat spin race.....
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 03:54 PM   #54
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
AHA! So you finally admit it's all Trump's fault!
No.

The mouse chose to indulge its own madness.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 09:41 PM   #55
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

If the mouse is circling clockwise, click the left button. And vice versa.
Old 15th June 2019, 05:16 AM   #56
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
We've had cats that did that.
If one of my cats brought in a still living mouse they usually just dropped it, watches it run off and then look at me "hey I brought it in, your responsibility now".
Old 15th June 2019, 05:19 AM   #57
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
hahaha ok guys and gals very funny, but I think the question wasn't answered seriously well enough yet.

The mouse has become unbalanced and dizzy due to a problem with its inner ear. Could be infection or parasite, physical damage, or pressure from a tumor, but in any case the mouse is dizzy and its equilibrium is unbalanced. It would be much like a human who drank so much the night before that in the morning the bed was spinning. (been there, done that, never again) or like the bat spin race.....
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Seen this even in larger mammals such as dogs, one of my Afghans got a serious ear infection in just the one side and he walked like he was drunk always veering to one side no matter how much he tried to walk straight. It was funny and as the infection cleared up slowly stopped.
Old 15th June 2019, 09:11 AM   #58
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
If one of my cats brought in a still living mouse they usually just dropped it, watches it run off and then look at me "hey I brought it in, your responsibility now".
I don't think ours ever actually released a mouse in the house. They did bring in live birds and release them once or twice.
Old 15th June 2019, 04:16 PM   #59
Venom
Master Poster

Seen this even in larger mammals such as dogs, one of my Afghans got a serious ear infection in just the one side and he walked like he was drunk always veering to one side no matter how much he tried to walk straight. It was funny and as the infection cleared up slowly stopped.
YouTube documents other rodents and rabbits/hares behaving this way as well. Very interesting if a little disturbing.

Glad we have antibiotics.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 05:12 PM   #60
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Maybe it's a marker for self awareness?

Make animals dizzy, the ones that realize something is wrong and try to correct for it, pass.
Little mousey here, doesn't.

-------
EDIT: swapped consciousness for self awareness as it was the wrong word.

Last edited by p0lka; 15th June 2019 at 05:14 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 05:53 PM   #61
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Maybe it's a marker for self awareness?

Make animals dizzy, the ones that realize something is wrong and try to correct for it, pass.
Little mousey here, doesn't.
That's actually a pretty good concept. We could potentially think of other explanations too though? Like a more basic hard wired fight or flight response? In full panic mode maybe the mouse just spins, but as he calms down the tight curves stretch out and eventually reach a drunken walk with correction stage after the mouse completely relaxes?

And this way we have two explanations and a way to test each hypothesis. hmmmm
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 05:57 PM   #62
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I'm reminded of one of those nonsense riddles, which I think has even come up here in the past, "why is a mouse when it spins?" The answer being more nonsense, of course, but now I'm wondering if the origin of the silliness comes from people actually observing mice when they spin.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology