ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th February 2019, 02:11 PM   #1
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

“Space ships” found hiding on Vesta...

News article:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird...t-c-waring-ufo

Claims two “diamond shaped” spacecraft are resting on the surface of the large asteroid, Vesta.

The photograph is certainly convincing.... If you squint real hard.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 02:40 PM   #2
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Ridiculous.

Hans
Old 12th February 2019, 03:14 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Heaven's Gate refueling before returning. Whoops, no one saved their bodies.
Old 12th February 2019, 03:35 PM   #4
dann
Philosopher

Their bodies were only vehicles or vessels so they didn't need them at the level beyond human.
But maybe you can find some of their testicles lying around somewhere. Apparently you also don't need those on Sirius ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 07:39 PM   #5
Steve
Illuminator

I, for one, welcome our new diamond shaped overlords.
Old 12th February 2019, 07:50 PM   #6
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Clearly Bigfoot.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 10:05 PM   #7
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I, for one, welcome our new diamond shaped overlords.
I made a bet with myself before clicking on the link leading to this thread that it would be 10 posts before someone "welcomed our new overlords".

As you can see, I lost the bet
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Last edited by smartcooky; 12th February 2019 at 10:08 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 12:18 AM   #8
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I wonder how big the "spaceships" are? A few meters long maybe?
Old 13th February 2019, 02:54 AM   #9
dann
Philosopher

Nobody's claimed that the aliens are bigger than squirrels!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 03:41 AM   #10
baron
Philosopher

I see the journalistic standards of the Express have improved. Once they wouldn't even have bothered to provide a photo, just printed any fiction that came to mind. The Express is the modern version of the Sunday Sport, a copy of which always resided in our communal kitchen at Uni.
Old 13th February 2019, 04:54 AM   #11
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I see the journalistic standards of the Express have improved. Once they wouldn't even have bothered to provide a photo, just printed any fiction that came to mind. The Express is the modern version of the Sunday Sport, a copy of which always resided in our communal kitchen at Uni.
The Sunday Sport "bothers to provide a photo" in certain cases, where visual imagery is deemed appropriate to the subject being treated.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 05:23 AM   #12
Tolls
Illuminator

Like the WW2 German bomber on the moon.
They had a picture for that.
And a picture for when the bomber disappeared!
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 05:25 AM   #13
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Like the WW2 German bomber on the moon.
They had a picture for that.
And a picture for when the bomber disappeared!
Of course. Who would believe that story otherwise?
Old 13th February 2019, 06:22 AM   #14
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

So, something equivalent to the old “Sun” tabloid over here....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 09:34 AM   #15
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I made a bet with myself before clicking on the link leading to this thread that it would be 10 posts before someone "welcomed our new overlords".

As you can see, I lost the bet
It is a required response here. This is the only time I have posted it first.
Old 13th February 2019, 11:45 AM   #16
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I wonder how big the "spaceships" are? A few meters long maybe?
Originally Posted by dann View Post
Nobody's claimed that the aliens are bigger than squirrels!
Yeah, but no problem. There is bound to be a terrible miscalculation of scale. Their entire battle fleet will probably be accidentally swallowed by a small dog.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 12:27 PM   #17
CORed
Philosopher

I've been seeing a lot of headlines from the Express on Google News lately, most of them implying that an eruption at Yellowstone is imminent. I've generally been ignoring them, but the "spaceships on Vesta" story seems to be confirming my impression that they publish a lot of garbage.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 12:39 PM   #18
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I've been seeing a lot of headlines from the Express on Google News lately, most of them implying that an eruption at Yellowstone is imminent. I've generally been ignoring them, but the "spaceships on Vesta" story seems to be confirming my impression that they publish a lot of garbage.
The Yellowstone stuff is likely as accurate as their weather prediction headlines, such as this one from 2014 when they predicted that series of storms bringing 'carnage' and incorporating tornadoes and 'monsoons' was about to hit the UK, reminiscent of a storm 170 years previously in which a "'supercell' led to hailstones leaving craters FIVE FEET deep across England." It was with no great surprise that hailstones with the explosive force of Brimstone missiles failed to materialise, as did all the rest of the predicted phenomena.
Old 13th February 2019, 02:15 PM   #19
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Yeah, but no problem. There is bound to be a terrible miscalculation of scale. Their entire battle fleet will probably be accidentally swallowed by a small dog.
hitchhikers guide to the galaxy reference.
Old 13th February 2019, 03:26 PM   #20
CORed
Philosopher

The Yellowstone stuff is likely as accurate as their weather prediction headlines, such as this one from 2014 when they predicted that series of storms bringing 'carnage' and incorporating tornadoes and 'monsoons' was about to hit the UK, reminiscent of a storm 170 years previously in which a "'supercell' led to hailstones leaving craters FIVE FEET deep across England." It was with no great surprise that hailstones with the explosive force of Brimstone missiles failed to materialise, as did all the rest of the predicted phenomena.
That's hysterical. I've experienced some serious hailstorms (I used to live in Denver, CO, and still work near there), with hailstones up to 3 in. diameter but none that made craters 5 feet deep (or 5 inches deep). I don't think a hailsone can make a "crater" at all, unless it hits some very soft dirt. Big ones often shatter when they hit the ground. They can do some pretty bad damage to cars (dents and broken windows) or to roofs or windows of houses.

Last edited by CORed; 13th February 2019 at 03:28 PM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 03:56 PM   #21
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Yeah, that sort of thing is happening all the time, and we're powerless to prevent it.
Old 13th February 2019, 05:46 PM   #22
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Scout ships for the coming invasion, obviously...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 06:05 PM   #23
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Scout ships for the coming invasion, obviously...
My dog is ready.
Old 14th February 2019, 06:08 AM   #24
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Yeah, that sort of thing is happening all the time, and we're powerless to prevent it.

That's just life.

Last edited by 3point14; 14th February 2019 at 06:15 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 06:21 AM   #25
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
That's just life.
Don't talk to me about 'Life'.
Old 14th February 2019, 10:30 AM   #26
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I've been seeing a lot of headlines from the Express on Google News lately, most of them implying that an eruption at Yellowstone is imminent.
Needs to wait until September, we're visiting in August.
Old 14th February 2019, 11:34 AM   #27
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Needs to wait until September, we're visiting in August.
Actually being there for the eruption would be the highlight of your visit. A once in a lifetime experience.
Old 14th February 2019, 12:35 PM   #28
CORed
Philosopher

Actually being there for the eruption would be the highlight of your visit. A once in a lifetime experience.
I think if Yellowstone ever erupts, the best place to be would be Yellowstone. that way, you die quickly. Anywhere else in the U. S. (or possibly in the world) and your death will be much slower.
Old 14th February 2019, 12:50 PM   #29
Steve
Illuminator

I think if Yellowstone ever erupts, the best place to be would be Yellowstone. that way, you die quickly. Anywhere else in the U. S. (or possibly in the world) and your death will be much slower.
Definitely. and that should be when Yellowstone erupts.
Old 14th February 2019, 03:18 PM   #30
GT/CS
Illuminator

Hopefully you can find a restaurant from where you can watch the end of the Yellowstone universe.
Old 14th February 2019, 03:28 PM   #31
baron
Philosopher

It wouldn't kill everybody, even in the US most people would survive even the largest eruption. As for the rest of the world, we'd get nice sunsets and the temperature reduction would offset global warming for a few decades. Mmmm.
Old 14th February 2019, 03:38 PM   #32
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

It wouldn't kill everybody, even in the US most people would survive even the largest eruption. As for the rest of the world, we'd get nice sunsets and the temperature reduction would offset global warming for a few decades. Mmmm.
Great. Now what is the best way to get Yellowstone to do its part?
Old 14th February 2019, 05:24 PM   #33
Steve
Illuminator

Start drilling in the caldera?
Old 15th February 2019, 07:17 AM   #34
3point14
Pi

Patience.
Old 15th February 2019, 08:20 AM   #35
baron
Philosopher

Fracking, I think.
Old 15th February 2019, 02:19 PM   #36
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Patience.
This is America, dag nab it, that's one thing we don't want any part of. If we can't have it now, what's the point of having it at all?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal