ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th February 2019, 04:50 AM   #1
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Communication lost with Mars Rover Opportunity

https://medium.com/s/space-time/its-...r-421540f742f1

Quote:
The Opportunity Rover’s mission was planned to last only 90 days. But the rover survived long past its expected expiration. Fourteen years later, it was still sending NASA data from the red planet.

But in June 2018, the most severe Martian dust storm in recorded history covered Opportunity in darkness and prevented sunlight from reaching the solar-powered rover. As a result, Opportunity could no longer communicate with Earth. June 10, 2018, was the last day we heard from the rover. Its last photos were of the sun completely blacked out.

It’s expected that NASA will soon announce the end of the mission.
This twitter thread gives more details. The saddest bit is this:

Quote:
The last message they received was basically, “My battery is low and it’s getting dark.”
Reading about it reminded me of this sad comic:

And that someone gave it a happier, although still somewhat melancholy, ending:

Goodbye Opportunity.

F
Old 13th February 2019, 04:53 AM   #2
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Press conference 11AM PST (7PM GMT)
Old 13th February 2019, 06:34 AM   #3
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

It went out slowly singing "Daisy, Daisy...".
Old 13th February 2019, 02:05 PM   #4
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
https://medium.com/s/space-time/its-...r-421540f742f1

This twitter thread gives more details. The saddest bit is this:

Reading about it reminded me of this sad comic:

https://i.imgur.com/6VkZwiF.png

And that someone gave it a happier, although still somewhat melancholy, ending:

https://i.imgur.com/p8N4wVd.jpg

Goodbye Opportunity.

F

I know the original but never saw the followup. Lovely. Strange that we can get sentimental about a machine
Old 13th February 2019, 02:27 PM   #5
Elagabalus
Illuminator

...And that someone gave it a happier, although still somewhat melancholy, ending:

https://i.imgur.com/p8N4wVd.jpg

Goodbye Opportunity.

F
Did they cryogenically freeze Buzz Aldrin (in his moon suit) for a day 14683 of 90 photo-Op or is that just a cardboard cut out of Buzz?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 02:28 PM   #6
Apathia
Illuminator

RIP, Opportunity!

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 02:37 PM   #7
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Quote:
The last message they received was basically, ďMy battery is low and itís getting dark.Ē
"I asked for an electric fan (powered by the Pu-238 space modulator) to blow the dust off my solar array but the 'suits' said 'noooo!' It's always the ******* 'suits'!!"
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 12:55 AM   #8
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Officially declared dead

F
Old 14th February 2019, 01:00 AM   #9
This is The End

Old 14th February 2019, 01:31 AM   #10
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

another one abducted by aliens.
Old 14th February 2019, 01:57 AM   #11
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

So when the next storm comes along and blows all the dust off the solar panels, and the thing comes back to life........what then? Wouldn't someone in NASA be tempted to send a signal every few months just in case?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 02:32 AM   #12
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

And Randall has written the obituary.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 01:58 PM   #13
azzthom
Muse

Not dead, merely sleeping.
azzthom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 02:23 PM   #14
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It's a machine.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 03:18 PM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It's a machine.
It's a machine, and, in a way, it's us.

Humans are tool-users, abstract thinkers, and imagineers. Very often, we engage with reality and manipulate it by proxy. In a sense, when Opportunity landed on Mars, so did humanity.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 03:26 PM   #16
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
So when the next storm comes along and blows all the dust off the solar panels, and the thing comes back to life........what then? Wouldn't someone in NASA be tempted to send a signal every few months just in case?
That's what they did. The dust storm was several months ago.

Unfortunately, the equipment isn't built to cold-soak. It was designed with powered heaters. If the power was lost to the point that the heaters failed, it is expected that equipment (including the batteries) would be permanently damaged. If this has happened (and it's very likely), then clearing the panels is insufficient to return it to service.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 04:54 PM   #17
Hans
Philosopher

[CTmode] Yes the elites at NASA killed the functional probe just before it was going to show proof of an alien civilization on Mars - the swine[/CTmode]
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 07:10 PM   #18
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Government spent money on something which provided jobs but no income. Obviously Communism. Based on what I've heard on a couple other recent threads.
Old 15th February 2019, 09:42 PM   #19
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I know it's not Wall-E or or an AI or a sentient being, but this last message even if it is an interpretation (see OP) still made me sad:

"my battery is low and it's getting dark"

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th February 2019 at 09:45 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 11:03 PM   #20
Pope130
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I know it's not Wall-E or or an AI or a sentient being, but this last message even if it is an interpretation (see OP) still made me sad:

"my battery is low and it's getting dark"
"Better give me two, it's dark where I'm going." R. Heinlein
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 11:36 PM   #21
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
"Better give me two, it's dark where I'm going." R. Heinlein
Just doesn't have the same emotion.
Old Yesterday, 02:52 AM   #22
Robin
Philosopher

I must admit that those tweets from space hardware are one of my pet peeves.

Sent from my Moto C using Tapatalk
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM   #23
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It's a machine.
So are we.
Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM   #24
3point14
Pi

Human beings have a long and celebrated history of anthropomorphism.

This little (relatively littl, if you don't know how big it is, it's probably bigger than you think) robot is at least as deserving of it as anything else we paint as human that's not.
Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM   #25
Thermal
Philosopher

Thread taking a decidedly poetic turn.

Can't remember where I saw it, but there was a comic showing the Grim Reaper coming for Oppy. Oppy asks if he was a good robot, and Grim responds 'no. I am told you were the best'
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM   #26
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I prefer his earlier take.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology