ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags books , favorite books

Old 18th December 2019, 08:46 AM   #41
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I re-read all my books many times, unless I hate them on first reading. I have a lot of reference books that I read a lot - Narrow Gauge Railways in Mid-Wales, J. I. C. Boyd, probably most of all. Books on railways, model railways, aviation and military vehicleas are on bookshelves in the workshop, and everything else forms a massive wall of books along the long side of the sitting room.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2019, 08:52 AM   #42
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I got rid of stacks of books over the last few years. Mostly large-format coffee table books I'd kept around for reference. I got most of them before the internet was the major photo reference source.

So why did I just have to buy another bookcase?! This one's going in the basement to hold the rest of the art, music, and reference books I'd had stacked up in various places.
The large format books are the ones I kept. It was the hundreds of paperbacks that went.
Old 18th December 2019, 03:32 PM   #43
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
No, it's technically possible to give a book away and never see it again; it goes by the term "lending".

Dave
Always had a problem understanding the concept of "library", I get the bit were they give you books, but they always go on about taking them back? It simply doesn't make any kind of sense.
Old 18th December 2019, 03:33 PM   #44
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And will people stop talking about getting rid of books, you are all triggering me!
Old 18th December 2019, 03:38 PM   #45
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

I mostly reread books. I have some which I have read 10 times. Same with movies, music, or computer games. Well with music it's normal I guess. Somehow I like liking things again. Also I don't like being disappointed, and that is always possibility with new stuff.
Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy would be one, and Lukyanenko's Watch series would be another.
Dr.Sid is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2019, 07:58 PM   #46
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I gave a book away just last week. In its place I took a different book from the Little Library up my street.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2019, 09:06 PM   #47
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I gave a book away just last week. In its place I took a different book from the Little Library up my street.
I have something like eight of those within a four-block walk from my house. No exaggeration.
Old 23rd December 2019, 03:42 PM   #48
Hans
Philosopher

Usually I don't read re-read book with a few notable exceptions: Dune, Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger, the Barsoomian series by ERB, Conan (the first one by Howard) and the Guns, Germs and Steel.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts