ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th January 2020, 03:40 PM   #1241
philippeb8
Muse

Finite Theory: Historical Milestone in Physics

Finite Theory is able now to explain:

- The popular "gravitational redshift":
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=1223

- The famous light bending:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=1198

- The perihelion shift:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=1205

- And I calculated that the position of the Moon is off by 7 meters in contrast with what is predicted by General Relativity:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=1211

- Lastly the mass of the invisible universe which is 738 times the mass of the visible universe!
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post12944016

Thanks to those who participated in the conversation, it helped me correct the extra division by 2 and so I will be happy adding names in the acknowledgment for gratitude.

I will be offline for a few days again but I pretty much concluded everything I could possibly imagine.

There is more in the book than what you saw in this thread so I encourage you to encourage independent researchers doing what they do because the mainstream is definitely misleading us!

Thank you and Happy New Year 2020!
philippeb8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2020, 04:01 PM   #1242
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
I derived my own formula using 2 different methods in the book just to get exactly the same solution.
Who cares how many times you get the "same" outside the universe "solution" for inside the universe?

If I know in advance that will always be part of a ratio and that will always be "eliminated" then why should I bother dragging it around?
Well, then at least it might look like you were trying to do math and not numerology. However, since you think "that will always be "eliminated"", even just approaching that appearance of doing math seems a bridge too far. So why even bother with any of the pretense then, just declare what the values shall be by edict...

"Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three."

... It's essentially what you're doing already.

I can just invent my own definition of a "simplified gravitational potential" once again.
Great, so fudge out your arse all the way down then and evidently just outside of the entire universe.

Who'd a'thunk I err'd in crediting your notions with being able to distinguish inside the universe from outside the universe.
Old 5th January 2020, 04:17 PM   #1243
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Who cares how many times you get the "same" outside the universe "solution" for inside the universe?

Well, then at least it might look like you were trying to do math and not numerology. However, since you think "that will always be "eliminated"", even just approaching that appearance of doing math seems a bridge too far. So why even bother with any of the pretense then, just declare what the values shall be by edict...

"Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three."

... It's essentially what you're doing already.

Great, so fudge out your arse all the way down then and evidently just outside of the entire universe.

Who'd a'thunk I err'd in crediting your notions with being able to distinguish inside the universe from outside the universe.

Oh though words here... you’re knocking at the wrong door for that but I won’t open it.
philippeb8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2020, 05:04 PM   #1244
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Oh though words here... you’re knocking at the wrong door for that but I won’t open it.
I don't recall anyone asking you to open the door to your fudge factory.
Old 5th January 2020, 05:54 PM   #1245
philippeb8
Muse

I don't recall anyone asking you to open the door to your fudge factory.
Then you're welcome to do a post-doc on dark matter and dark energy.
Old 5th January 2020, 09:45 PM   #1246
philippeb8
Muse

Thank you for playing Streets of Rage!
https://youtu.be/mW03QgubN0M?t=1880
Old 6th January 2020, 04:34 AM   #1247
tusenfem
Master Poster

anything, if I choose the correct fudge factor and do not care about units.

(Max Headroom)
follow me on twitter: @tusenfem, or follow Rosetta Plasma Consortium: @Rosetta_RPC
tusenfem is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2020, 09:59 AM   #1248
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by tusenfem View Post

Good luck with the research on dark energy!
https://phys.org/news/2020-01-eviden...very-dark.html
Old 6th January 2020, 10:36 AM   #1249
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Then you're welcome to do a post-doc on dark matter and dark energy.
Who would care whether you welcome that or not?
Old 6th January 2020, 10:38 AM   #1250
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Thank you for playing Streets of Rage!
https://youtu.be/mW03QgubN0M?t=1880
Do you often confuse criticism with video games or just rage in general?
Old 6th January 2020, 12:00 PM   #1251
philippeb8
Muse

Do you often confuse criticism with video games or just rage in general?

That’s not criticism that’s trash talk. Just like the conversation with Reality Check which turned into a deadlocked dead-end...

Whether you like it or not FT comes down to 1 + 1 = 2 now so you need to validate it or else your own credibility will drop. It’s that simple.
Old 6th January 2020, 12:03 PM   #1252
Belz...
Fiend God

The only thing it seems to explain is your ignorance of physics.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2020, 12:06 PM   #1253
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The only thing it seems to explain is your ignorance of physics.

Your General Relativity cannot be called “physics” anymore. A “hoax” would describe it better.
Old 6th January 2020, 12:09 PM   #1254
Belz...
Fiend God

Your General Relativity cannot be called “physics” anymore. A “hoax” would describe it better.
And yet our GPS satellites can tell me where I am to the nearest meter. Clearly their relativistic calculations work.

So explain why our GR calculations match reality if it's a hoax? Explain how your own math will improve GPS and other GR applications.

You've admitted that you fit your variables to match reality depending on the context, so it's not as if you're on firm ground.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2020, 01:01 PM   #1255
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

That’s not criticism that’s trash talk.
I wan't calling your trash talk criticism.

Just like the conversation with Reality Check which turned into a deadlocked dead-end...
What would you expect, you're already at a dead end. If you want to actually go somewhere, you have to change what you are doing.

Whether you like it or not FT comes down to 1 + 1 = 2 now so you need to validate it or else your own credibility will drop. It’s that simple.
My credibility isn't dependent on your FT, while your credibility depends upon you thinking critically about your FT. Since others will think critically about it, if you don't do it yourself, you'll remain unprepared and credulous.
Old 6th January 2020, 05:53 PM   #1256
philippeb8
Muse

And yet our GPS satellites can tell me where I am to the nearest meter. Clearly their relativistic calculations work.

So explain why our GR calculations match reality if it's a hoax? Explain how your own math will improve GPS and other GR applications.

You've admitted that you fit your variables to match reality depending on the context, so it's not as if you're on firm ground.

“Whatever GR does, FT can do it better and more efficiently.”

Last edited by philippeb8; 6th January 2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 6th January 2020, 05:58 PM   #1257
Steve
Philosopher

“Whatever GR does, FT can do it better.”
FT has done nothing.
Old 6th January 2020, 06:09 PM   #1258
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
FT has done nothing.

You call this the law of the jungle. The GR hype and its costly CPU cycles square roots will die on its own.
Old 6th January 2020, 06:40 PM   #1259
Steve
Philosopher

You call this the law of the jungle. The GR hype and its costly CPU cycles square roots will die on its own.
No, I mean FT has done nothing. GR has been put to countless uses in the last 100+ years. It has been proved to be extremely reliable in the process. FT has been used for absolutely nothing, and has no prospects of being useful in the future.
Old 6th January 2020, 07:26 PM   #1260
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
No, I mean FT has done nothing. GR has been put to countless uses in the last 100+ years. It has been proved to be extremely reliable in the process. FT has been used for absolutely nothing, and has no prospects of being useful in the future.

I just said what GR does, FT can do better more efficiently plus more.

Did you guys disregarded the articles on the CMB and dark energy blunders? How many more blunders and paradoxes are you expecting?

Last call: join the forces of good before it’s too late. You have all the mathematical evidence on a silver plate. I did my homework.

If you don’t then keep on researching the CMB and dark energy until you run out of grants.
Old 6th January 2020, 07:42 PM   #1261
Belz...
Fiend God

“Whatever GR does, FT can do it better and more efficiently.”
No, it can't.

We can do this all day, Philippe, but unless you can explain how it's better, and demonstrate that it is, your promises are empty.

"But I said it was better! Why don't you believe me?"

Old 6th January 2020, 09:10 PM   #1262
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Did you guys disregarded the articles on the CMB and dark energy blunders? How many more blunders and paradoxes are you expecting?

Last call: join the forces of good before it’s too late. You have all the mathematical evidence on a silver plate. I did my homework.

If you don’t then keep on researching the CMB and dark energy until you run out of grants.
I pretty much stopped paying attention when it turned out you didn't know how to handle a simple high school calculus problem.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2020, 12:47 AM   #1263
tusenfem
Master Poster

Good luck with the research on dark energy!
https://phys.org/news/2020-01-eviden...very-dark.html
I don't care about dark energy, I study plasma physics at planets and comets.
However, I do care about non-sensical fudge factors that appear out of nowhere.

(Max Headroom)
follow me on twitter: @tusenfem, or follow Rosetta Plasma Consortium: @Rosetta_RPC
tusenfem is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2020, 02:08 AM   #1264
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I pretty much stopped paying attention when it turned out you didn't know how to handle a simple high school calculus problem.

Well Einstein forgot a simple elementary addition in his light bending 1911 calculations and he never figured out his mistake. Mine took a few minutes to figure out.

And this is not going to stop the government from allowing or disallowing grants on the CMB and dark energy. I know how hard these are to get in the first place!
Old 7th January 2020, 02:46 AM   #1265
philippeb8
Muse

I don't care about dark energy, I study plasma physics at planets and comets.
Well then be a good Samaritan and tell your friends in the physics department 3/4 of GR is nonsense.

Quote:
However, I do care about non-sensical fudge factors that appear out of nowhere.

Well that is how solving the atlas of the universe works; by reverse engineering. And if the Moon is farther away by 7 meters then the galaxies we see are easily much farther away as well...!
Old 7th January 2020, 07:37 AM   #1266
JeanTate
Illuminator

Well Einstein forgot a simple elementary addition in his light bending 1911 calculations and he never figured out his mistake. Mine took a few minutes to figure out.

And this is not going to stop the government from allowing or disallowing grants on the CMB and dark energy. I know how hard these are to get in the first place!
Why are you spending your precious time posting here (the ISF)?

Shouldn’t you be devoting yourself to writing up FT in a clear and logical way? Or writing the killer paper that will overthrow 300 years of physics (and incidentally earn you a free first class return trip to Stockholm)?

You see, to me, the fact that you spend so much time here is yet another proof that FT is a joke.
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2020, 07:41 AM   #1267
JeanTate
Illuminator

What?!?

It’s fudge all the way down, not turtles?!?

Stop the presses! Revolutionary new discovery! We are not made of quarks and leptons; we are made of fudge!
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2020, 09:35 AM   #1268
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
Why are you spending your precious time posting here (the ISF)?

Shouldn’t you be devoting yourself to writing up FT in a clear and logical way? Or writing the killer paper that will overthrow 300 years of physics (and incidentally earn you a free first class return trip to Stockholm)?

You see, to me, the fact that you spend so much time here is yet another proof that FT is a joke.

I can do that easily now that the gravitational redshift works like a charm... I’ll be able to estimate better the real size of the visible universe by using the same equation I used for the Moon.

I was just hoping to get some assistance but it’s so easy to handle now that I don’t really need any anymore.
Old 7th January 2020, 10:51 AM   #1269
sackett
Philosopher

Yay!

I can do that easily now that the gravitational redshift works like a charm... I’ll be able to estimate better the real size of the visible universe by using the same equation I used for the Moon.

I was just hoping to get some assistance but it’s so easy to handle now that I don’t really need any anymore.
That means that you've won the internet!

Goodbye.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2020, 11:00 AM   #1270
philippeb8
Muse

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
That means that you've won the internet!

Goodbye.

$ shutdown -P now
Old 7th January 2020, 01:16 PM   #1271
JeanTate
Illuminator

$ shutdown -P now
Bye bye.

Please do let us know when you get that phone call from Stockholm.
Old 8th January 2020, 09:14 AM   #1272
Belz...
Fiend God

We can do this all day, Philippe, but unless you can explain how it's better, and demonstrate that it is, your promises are empty.
Did I call your bluff?

Old 8th January 2020, 01:33 PM   #1273
tusenfem
Master Poster

Bye bye.

Please do let us know when you get that phone call from Stockholm.
I just booked my tickets to and hotel in Stockholm.

(Max Headroom)
Old 8th January 2020, 01:47 PM   #1274
Steve001
Graduate Poster

What?!?

It’s fudge all the way down, not turtles?!?

Stop the presses! Revolutionary new discovery! We are not made of quarks and leptons; we are made of fudge!
Poop actually, well more precisely Higgs poop. Physics Girl channel.
Inside the world's largest science experiment
https://youtu.be/nrXhK3Gh5EE

Last edited by Steve001; 8th January 2020 at 01:51 PM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 02:47 PM   #1275
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Stupidity that his equation for the Moon that fails abysmally is valid cosmology

Supposedly ends a thread of containing deep ignorance and his FT delusions with
13 January 2019 philippeb8: Stupidity that his equation for the Moon that fails abysmally is valid cosmology.

His equation for the Moon is the distance as measured by a laser beam bouncing of reflectors placed by the Apollo and Luna missions. There are no laser reflectors at the boundary of the visible universe !

The real laser experiment measures the correct distance to the Moon to millimeters. His equation gets the measured distance wrong by 100's of kilometers !
20 December 2019 philippeb8: Persists with "GR’s equation" ignorance about a classical round trip equation, etc.
Quote:
He debunked his FT delusions by getting a difference of 2035 kilometers for a distance that is accurate to millimeters.
He continues to debunks his FT equation in later posts by calculating that his results get worse with decreasing distances , e.g. 3% and then 21%. And then proves that radar speed guns cannot work )"Uncertainty: 760649.02%"!) so later he changes the equation!

A bit of "I made a mistake because I neglected the arbitrary constant of the integral C = a value" (or later "C can be neglected) idiocy. An integration constant is not arbitrary (cannot be set to any random value). Integration of a function f'(x) produces f(x) + C where C is a constant.

We get "Correction of Correction of Correction" posts which still debunk his FT delusions. Magically his "corrections" get closer to the real measured distance to the Moon reducing from ~2000 kilometers to 14.6 meters for a distance that is accurate to millimeters.

Persists in "Remember FT can solve ..." lies.
  • The perihelion shift;
    His "solution' is nothing to do with FT. It is a gravitational potential equation plagiarized (no citation) from a published paper.
  • The light bending;
    What he does is use GR's solution and plugs in his h fudge factor.
  • The time dilation cancelation altitude;
    A "time dilation cancelation altitude" delusion dos not have a solution.
  • The rotation curve without dark matter;
    A lie because he never matches any rotation curve data.
    The delusion that it is only galaxy rotation curves that is evidence for dark energy.
  • The expansion of the universe without dark energy;
    Again no match to the real universe.
    The delusion that it is only the accelerating expansion of the universe that is evidence for dark energy.
  • The mass of the invisible universe encompassing the visible one.
    A lie when all he does is some mathematics based on the FT delusions.
    We know that the universe is either infinite or vastly larger than the visible universe. I follow the FermiLab videos on physics and one stated that the previous 250 times larger estimate (of volume) has been upgraded to 500 times greater.

"Radar Gun Experiment (Correction of Correction of Correction)" basically moves the goalposts to a car going uphill or downhill or changing speed when the question did not have those conditions.

A deluded GR can make the light bending prediction because it was tuned up with the perihelion shift before ... the biggest deliberate hoax ... lie and insult of Einstein.

"Perihelion Shift & Light Bending" is the repeated lie of plugging his hsolar fudge factor into GR's solutions and claiming that is an FT solution.

A "I just proved it’s impossible to get the right light bending without knowing in advance the perihelion shift" delusion. Listing the GR perihelion shift equation and then the GR light bending equation does not make it impossible to derive the GR light bending equation first .

A deluded This is also the proof the light bending “prediction” of GR is a hoax lie. His replacement of constants in GR solutions with a "hsolar" symbol does make GR a hoax.

A deluded GR and its non-Euclidean geometry are not deductive and represent security through obscurity lie. SR already showed that the universe is non-Euclidian. GR is deduced from its postulate. The real universe happens to obey complex mathematics.

A deluded Einstein extended his SR into GR which doesn’t work at greater scales than the solar system lie. We observe GR effects outside of the solar system. Many of the passed tests of GR are GR matching external stellar systems (Hulse–Taylor binary), galaxies (Hubble's law!), gravitational waves, etc. The Lambda-CDM model is GR + dark matter and works for the entire universe !

Last edited by Reality Check; 12th January 2020 at 04:00 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 04:23 PM   #1276
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation More abysmal ignorance and some delusions and lies from philippeb8

More abysmal ignorance and some delusions and lies from philippeb8.
In fact Poincaré is the one who predicted the gravitational waves and Einstein is the one taking all the credit!
In fact: The possibility of gravitational waves was discussed in 1893 by Oliver Heaviside using the analogy between the inverse-square law in gravitation and electricity. Poincaré predicted non-GR gravitational waves by adding consideration od SR. Einstein predicted GR gravitational waves and then "unpredicted" them for the first, erroneous draft of the 1936 paper with Nathan Rosen. The corrected draft said that GR allowed gravitational waves. It was not until 1956 that it was shown that gravitational waves were valid solution in GR.

A "The rest you are mentioning are simply derivatives" delusions about the tests of GR. GR fitted existing data in 1915 (perihelion shift) and made predictions that fit new data (bending of light, gravitational waves, etc.). That is how scientific theories work !

Deep "What does the CMB has to do with GR?" ignorance. The mere existence if the CMB is a prediction of GR. GR predicts Hubble's law. We measure Hubble's law. Run an expanding universe backwards and we get a hot dense state. Let that hot dense state expand and we get the CMB!

Abysmal "How can the CMB be isotropic and uniform if it is "originated" by the Big Bang?"" ignorance from someone writing about cosmology. The Big Bang is the expansion of a isotropic and uniform universe !

A "Relativistic / Kinetic Doppler Shift & Pound-Rebka Experiment" post debunking his FT delusions by emphasizing that FT does not match the real world !
Relativistic Doppler Shift has been measured and matches SR.
He lies about the Pound–Rebka experiment which matched GR.

A lying "Fallacy of General Relativity (excerpt)" post. GR uses the constants c and G. This is not a fallacy.

Lying "Perihelion Shift" and "Perihelion Shift (Correction)" posts. That looks like his plagiarized (no citation) equation form a paper not about his FT delusions.

A deluded "And here's the proof the CMB is unreliable" lie when he cites Measured values of the Hubble constant. The Hubble constant tension just changes when the CMB was emitted from a hot dense universe.

More "Lunar Laser Ranging Experiment (Correction of Correction of Correction of Correction)" idiocy. Now he debunks his FT delusions with a 7.4 meter error in an measurement accurate to millimeters.

Repeats "Can FT explain the entire universe? Yes. ..." etc. delusions.

"Relativistic / Kinetic Doppler Shift & Pound-Rebka Experiment (Correction)" repeats his lie that relativistic Doppler shift support his FT delusions (they match SR). He "corrects" his FT delusion to get a value that only matches the Pound-Rebka experiment value from 1956.
As written he lies about FT because his h is - (negative) c^2/G. This results in a negative "velocity" x and a negative factor. That is a blueshift, not the measured redshift.

Ignorant fantasy that adjusting his invalid distance to the Moon equation will magically reproduce the classical d= ct/2 value.

A post of "Fudge Factor & Mass of the Invisible Universe (excerpt)" gibberish.

Mostly Finite Theory is able now to explain lies. He did "correct" FT calculations to close to the absolute value of the Pound-Rebka experiment. His "mass of the invisible universe which is 738 times the mass of the visible universe" may be insanely wrong. The universe may be infinite. The universe versus the observable universe
Quote:
It is plausible that the galaxies within our observable universe represent only a minuscule fraction of the galaxies in the universe. According to the theory of cosmic inflation initially introduced by its founder, Alan Guth (and by D. Kazanas[24]), if it is assumed that inflation began about 10−37 seconds after the Big Bang, then with the plausible assumption that the size of the universe before the inflation occurred was approximately equal to the speed of light times its age, that would suggest that at present the entire universe's size is at least 3×1023 times the radius of the observable universe.[25] There are also lower estimates claiming that the entire universe is in excess of 250 times larger (by volume, not by radius) than the observable universe[26] and also higher estimates implying that the universe could have the size[clarification needed] of at least 101010122 Mpc.[27][non-primary source needed]
A deluded “Whatever GR does, FT can do it better and more efficiently.” lie.
FT does not predict the bending of light by the Sun. Replacing constants in GR's prediction is not an FT prediction .
FT does not predict the perihelion shift of Mercury. Plagiarizing (not citing) a non-FT paper is not a FT prediction.
He has not shown that FT gets a better value than GR for gravitational redshift.
Bending of light by the Sun, the perihelion shift of Mercury and gravitational redshift are only 3 of the passed tests of general relativity.
A probable delusion that "more efficiently" = a more valid theory. What makes one scientific theory better than another starts with replicating all of the results of the previous theory. That makes them equal. More importantly the better theory has to make predications that the previous one cannot make and have those predications verified. Look at Einstein's 1915 paper which predicted the correct bending of light as measured by the 1919 Eddington and later experiments.

"The GR hype and its costly CPU cycles square roots will die on its own" gibberish.

A the articles on the CMB and dark energy blunders lie. He cited the Hubble constant tension. He cited a recent paper (New evidence shows that the key assumption made in the discovery of dark energy is in error) that is yet to be verified.

A deluded Well Einstein forgot a simple elementary addition in his light bending 1911 calculations and he never figured out his mistake lie. philippeb8 has never cited any evidence of a "simple elementary addition" missing in Einstein's 1911 paper. The 1911 paper made an approximation that gave the same results as previous calculations for the bending of light in Newtonian gravity. The approximation in the 1911 paper was removed in Einstein's 1915 paper which predicted the correct bending of light as measured by the 1919 Eddington and later experiments.

Last edited by Reality Check; 12th January 2020 at 04:38 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2020, 06:02 PM   #1277
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Five is right out!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology