IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th January 2023, 10:56 AM   #41
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Oh, please. The old trick of cherry picking definition. Maybe the President is a later in another sense of the word?
I was sparing you

Quote:
oks

noun
noun: leader; plural noun: leaders
the person who leads or commands a group, organization, or country.
"the leader of a protest group"
Similar:
chief
head
principal
boss
commander
captain
figurehead
controller
superior
kingpin
headman
mover and shaker
chairman
chairwoman
chairperson
chair
convener
director
managing director
MD
manager
superintendent
supervisor
overseer
administrator
employer
master
mistress
foreman
president
premier
governor
ruler
monarch
king
queen
sovereign
emperor
tsar
prince
princess
lord
lord and master
elder
patriarch
guru
mentor
authority
boss man
skipper
top dog
number one
big cheese
big noise
bigwig
big shot
gaffer
guv'nor
honcho
Mister Big
numero uno
sachem
padrone
Opposite:
follower
supporter
(in the UK) a member of the government officially responsible for initiating business in the House of Commons or House of Lords.
noun: Leader of the House; plural noun: Leaders of the House; noun: Leader of the House of Commons; plural noun: Leaders of the House of Commons; noun: Leader of the House of Lords; plural noun: Leaders of the House of Lords
an organization or company that is the most advanced or successful in a particular area.
"a leader in the use of video conferencing"
Similar:
pioneer
front runner
innovator
trailblazer
pathfinder
groundbreaker
trendsetter
leading light
guiding light
torchbearer
flagbearer
pacemaker
originator
initiator
developer
discoverer
founder
architect
neoteric
the principal player in a music group.
BRITISH
the principal first violinist in an orchestra.
NORTH AMERICAN
a conductor of a band or small musical group.
BRITISH
a leading article or editorial in a newspaper.
a short strip of nonfunctioning material at each end of a reel of film or recording tape for connection to the spool.
a length of filament attached to the end of a fishing line to carry the hook or fly.
a shoot of a plant at the apex of a stem or main branch.
PRINTING
a series of dots or dashes across the page to guide the eye, especially in tabulated material
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2023, 11:37 AM   #42
JoeMorgue
Suspended

Join us next week for another rousing episode of "Bob pretends he doesn't know how language works."
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2023, 11:38 AM   #43
jt512
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
noun
noun: leader; plural noun: leaders
the person who leads or commands a group, organization, or country.

I don't think he leads or commands the country, but maybe I am wrong?
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Yes, you are wrong. He leads one of three co-equal branches of the US Government, but he is also responsible to the electorate and takes some guidance from us (or isnít re-elected)
In other words, he was right.
jt512 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2023, 11:56 AM   #44
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

In what way does the president not lead that portion of the government the Constitution places under his direction?
Old 16th January 2023, 12:03 PM   #45
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
In what way does the president not lead that portion of the government the Constitution places under his direction?
No one disputes that. The question is if that means if he leads us as individuals or the country.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2023, 01:07 PM   #46
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

is the president your leader?

No.
Old 16th January 2023, 01:09 PM   #47
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

No one disputes that. The question is if that means if he leads us as individuals or the country.
Of course not. Where is there anything in our founding documents or the law that says he does? Why would you even think the president leads us as individuals?
Old 16th January 2023, 01:09 PM   #48
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Really?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2023, 01:20 PM   #49
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

The U.S. President is the Commander in Chief of the U.S. armed forces.

Check your synonym list for the words "commander" and "chief" and see what you find.

I'm not a member of the U.S. armed forces so the U.S. president is not my leader at present. But I'm a U.S. citizen, so in an emergency or martial law situation that could change (whether I liked it or not).
Old 16th January 2023, 02:58 PM   #50
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Bob, when you use the term: 'the' what do you mean?

And why have you shifted from 'your' to 'the' and 'country' ?
Old 16th January 2023, 03:19 PM   #51
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

I never understood the notion that the president leads the country. I just don't take any cues from the president
Cue
noun
1. a thing said or done that serves as a signal to an actor or other performer to enter or to begin their speech or performance.
I sometimes wonder if your arguments are just an act...
Old 16th January 2023, 08:44 PM   #52
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This has to be one of the silliest discussions I've ever seen.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2023, 08:48 PM   #53
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Of course not. Where is there anything in our founding documents or the law that says he does? Why would you even think the president leads us as individuals?
I'm thinking of times of national tragedy and media corespondents talk about leadership moments, or leading during tragedy, etc.
Old 16th January 2023, 11:36 PM   #54
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I was thinking exactly the same thing!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2023, 12:15 AM   #55
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Sure, I'll obey every lawful order The President gives me..
in person...
I'm private.

I
Old 17th January 2023, 06:51 AM   #56
Parsman
Muse

Stachys, meet every BobTheCoward thread ever.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.

Last edited by Parsman; 17th January 2023 at 06:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2023, 01:38 PM   #57
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

But it's the last one he'll ever start, so that's something!
Old 17th January 2023, 01:50 PM   #58
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Is it?
Old 17th January 2023, 01:51 PM   #59
JoeMorgue
Suspended

Nobody is trying to prove anything with Bayesian Statistics so it cannot be, by definition, the stupidest argument ever.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2023, 01:55 PM   #60
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
Stachys, meet every BobTheCoward thread ever.
I know! I had him on my ignore list for exactly that.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
But it's the last one he'll ever start, so that's something!
So he got banned at last! Hallelujah!
Old 17th January 2023, 08:29 PM   #61
mgidm86
Philosopher

I know! I had him on my ignore list for exactly that.

So he got banned at last! Hallelujah!

Oh wow didn't even know. Huh.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics