IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump controversies

Old 14th January 2023, 03:19 PM   #1921
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Jesus, he's got the mind of a child. "I'm gonna beat yous all up for being mean to me!"
Old 14th January 2023, 03:45 PM   #1922
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Jesus, he's got the mind of a child. "I'm gonna beat yous all up for being mean to me!"
He really is emotionally a child. He uses bullying threats just like on the school playground. He reminds me of Scut Farkus in A Christmas Story.

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2023, 10:55 PM   #1923
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

More from the E. Jean Carroll rape trial on this:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs
More stupidity from Trump's deposition from Carroll's lawsuit:

Quote:
Trump, in newly released deposition, explains what he meant by 'swooned her': 'It's a nicer word than the word that starts with an F'
Quote:
"What does 'swooned her' mean?" Kaplan asked the former president in one exchange.

Trump responded: "That would be a word, maybe accurate or not, having to do with talking to her and talking her — to do an act that she said happened, which didn't happen. And it's a nicer word than the word that starts with an F, and this would be word that I used because I thought it would be inappropriate to use the other word. And it didn't happen."
Quote:
Merriam-Webster defines the verb "swoon" as to "faint" or "to become enraptured." In the deposition, Kaplan noted a similar definition, asking: "That's not what you meant here?"

"Well," Trump said, "sort of that's what she said I did to her. She fainted with great emotion. She actually indicated that she loved it. Okay? She loved it until commercial break. In fact, I think she said it was sexy, didn't she? She said it was very sexy to be raped. Didn't she say that?"

In fact, Carroll did not say she enjoyed the former president's alleged assault or that she herself viewed rape as "sexy."
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...awsuit-nut-job
Quote:
The New York court on Friday also rejected as “absurd” Trump’s attempt to have dismissed the two lawsuits against him by Carroll, alleging rape and libel. An April trial is planned.

“She said that I did something to her that never took place. There was no anything. I know nothing about this nut job,” he said, according to the transcript of the October testimony.

The excerpts reveal a contentious battle in the civil case, between Trump and Roberta Kaplan, a lawyer for Carroll, who questioned him as Trump called Carroll, a former longtime Elle magazine columnist, the perpetrator of “a complete scam.”

He accused her of describing the alleged rape as she “was promoting a really crummy book”.

Trump added: “I will sue her after this is over, and that’s the thing I really look forward to doing. And I’ll sue you too,” he told Kaplan.
And their little dog too, Donny??
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2023, 11:31 PM   #1924
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump then ranted at Carroll's attorney:
And I’ll sue you too because this is — how many cases do you have? Many, many cases, and I know the statements that were made — that you made. Keep Trump busy because this is the way you defeat him, to keep him busy with litigation.
Accusing others of trying to defeat him by keeping him busy with litigation.
Every accusation is a confession.
Old 15th January 2023, 02:49 PM   #1925
mgidm86
Philosopher

"Sexy to be raped"? Is he admitting she was raped? Or does she tell everyone she thinks rape is sexy?
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2023, 03:58 PM   #1926
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
"Well," Trump said, "sort of that's what she said I did to her. She fainted with great emotion. She actually indicated that she loved it. Okay? She loved it until commercial break. In fact, I think she said it was sexy, didn't she? She said it was very sexy to be raped. Didn't she say that?"
“When you’re a star they let you do it.”
Old 15th January 2023, 04:00 PM   #1927
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
"Sexy to be raped"? Is he admitting she was raped? Or does she tell everyone she thinks rape is sexy?
Neither. He misinterpreted a reply she made in an interview:

The former president appeared to twist Carroll’s comments from a June, 2019 interview with CNN anchor Anderson Cooper, in which she said rape is a “fantasy” for many people. “I think most people think of rape as being sexy,” she told Cooper.

Trump cited the interview in telling Kaplan that Carroll “loved” sexual assault.

“She actually indicated that she loved it. Okay?” Trump said. “In fact, I think she said it was sexy, didn’t she? She said it was very sexy to be raped.”

Kaplan then asked: “So, sir, I just want to confirm:· It’s your testimony that E. Jean Carroll said that she loved being sexually assaulted by you?”

And Trump answered: “Well, based on her interview with Anderson Cooper, I believe that’s what took place.”
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2023, 04:37 PM   #1928
mgidm86
Philosopher

Wow okay thanks. Jeebus.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2023, 09:28 AM   #1929
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
More from the E. Jean Carroll rape trial on this:
Ok, does anyone else find it strange that he would both claim he didn't assault her, wasn't her type, she was 'crazy', etc., but somehow he also had such deep discussions with her that he new her sexual preferences?

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2023, 09:37 AM   #1930
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Ok, does anyone else find it strange that he would both claim he didn't assault her, wasn't her type, she was 'crazy', etc., but somehow he also had such deep discussions with her that he new her sexual preferences?
Not at all. Donald Trump often says several, mutually contradictory, things in a single sentence. His supporters take whatever they want from the buffet of lies and forget the rest.

It's a bit like a (bad) cold reading, he'll just say things until his interlocutor seems to agree with him - unless they don't in which case they're losers.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2023, 10:05 AM   #1931
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

His communication style is aggravatingly vague.

In this case, I think he was just referring to that comment she made in tha Anderson Cooper interview, to wit: "...she said rape is a “fantasy” for many people. “I think most people think of rape as being sexy.”

She clearly said she thought "most people" thought that, not that she did.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2023, 10:19 AM   #1932
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

I would just like to interject: just because Carroll is taking Trump to task doesn’t mean she gets my full support. Believing some significant percentage of people, let alone most, think rape is “sexy” is inane.
Old 16th January 2023, 12:01 PM   #1933
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
I would just like to interject: just because Carroll is taking Trump to task doesn’t mean she gets my full support. Believing some significant percentage of people, let alone most, think rape is “sexy” is inane.
If I recall correctly, the quote was "many people" and well, personally, I find nothing to disagree with when it comes to what she actually said.

The concept of power being an aphrodisiac isn't remotely a new one, though, I think. Similarly, it's probably important to remember that biological instincts aren't driven by moral considerations. It's entirely possible for a person to be thoroughly opposed to rape in reality, but still find it to be arousing in imaginary scenarios. From my personal experience, for example, though, eye-rollingly much gay erotica has questionable consent or worse themes in them. I figure that it's also worth poking at societal reactions to a guy getting raped by a "hot" woman. By what I've heard, there tends to be a remarkable amount of envy and generally not taking it seriously as a reaction rather than sympathy, and that's one of the factors that drives lower reporting.

Last edited by Aridas; 16th January 2023 at 12:07 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2023, 02:09 PM   #1934
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Rape fantasies are much like men who enjoy bondage/dominatrix role playing: they are never in any real danger and it's with their consent. It's more about power...but safe power.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2023, 04:46 PM   #1935
mgidm86
Philosopher

He just talks and talks, whatever comes out.

I met some guy on the street one day. He asked me if I knew about Area 51. I said ominously, "Yes, but have you ever been to Area 52?"

He immediately said "yes" and went on talking about it.

That's Trump. It doesn't seem to be something he even thinks about, the bullcrap just flows without hesitation. A very sick man.
Old 16th January 2023, 06:22 PM   #1936
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

But did he know it was a goblin town in Netherstorm??
Old 16th January 2023, 08:06 PM   #1937
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
If I recall correctly, the quote was "many people" and well, personally, I find nothing to disagree with when it comes to what she actually said.
In post 1927 above:

Quote:
The former president appeared to twist Carroll’s comments from a June, 2019 interview with CNN anchor Anderson Cooper, in which she said rape is a “fantasy” for many people. “I think most people think of rape as being sexy,” she told Cooper.
Old 16th January 2023, 09:29 PM   #1938
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
In post 1927 above:
I accept the correction. Thank you.
Old 16th January 2023, 11:42 PM   #1939
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
He just talks and talks, whatever comes out.

I met some guy on the street one day. He asked me if I knew about Area 51. I said ominously, "Yes, but have you ever been to Area 52?"

He immediately said "yes" and went on talking about it.

That's Trump. It doesn't seem to be something he even thinks about, the bullcrap just flows without hesitation. A very sick man.
Absolutely. If he was your crazy uncle whom you don't invite to family parties because he shamelessly drops trou and does this sort of free-form bull-******** in public with everyone around, you would have him committed forthwith. But because Trump is somehow immune because he has been on TV (or whatever), he gets a free pass every time. Madness^2.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2023, 08:15 AM   #1940
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Even more from the E. Jean Carroll sexual assault trial:

Donald Trump mistook E Jean Carroll, the writer who accuses him of rape, for his ex-wife Marla Maples during a deposition in the case last year...“That’s Marla, yeah,” Trump said, when shown a photograph.

This does 2 things....

- It sort of debunks his defense that she "wasn't his type"

- It might be evidence of further mental decline, if he mistakes someone for a person he was married to for years.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2023, 01:55 PM   #1941
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Donald Trump mistook E Jean Carroll, the writer who accuses him of rape, for his ex-wife Marla Maples during a deposition in the case last year...“That’s Marla, yeah,” Trump said, when shown a photograph.

This does 2 things....

- It might be evidence of further mental decline, if he mistakes someone for a person he was married to for years.
Carroll also claims the rape took place in the mid-1990's, during which time Trump was married to Maples (1993-1999). Maybe he just mistook Carroll for Maples in the dressing room!
Old 19th January 2023, 07:09 PM   #1942
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I accept the correction. Thank you.
Your servant, sir.
Old 19th January 2023, 08:25 PM   #1943
Galaxie
Graduate Poster

This does 2 things....

3) It proves again that Trump needs glasses (but he's too vain to do so)
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2023, 08:57 PM   #1944
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post

Funny that a man who is orange (except his pink eyes), wears bad suits and has hair that looks like his can be called vain.
Old 20th January 2023, 09:22 PM   #1945
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
We have seen pictures of Trump wearing glasses so we know he does wear them on occasion. It is quite possible that in a closed door deposition he may have already been wearing them when looking at the picture.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

We are Groot - Groot
Old 21st January 2023, 02:05 AM   #1946
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

We have seen pictures of Trump wearing glasses so we know he does wear them on occasion. It is quite possible that in a closed door deposition he may have already been wearing them when looking at the picture.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk
He once tried to get out of reading something he was asked to by a lawyer during a deposition in 2016 by claiming he didn't have his glasses with him.

But.......

Old 21st January 2023, 02:48 AM   #1947
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

He once tried to get out of reading something he was asked to by a lawyer during a deposition in 2016 by claiming he didn't have his glasses with him.

But.......

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...baab144e4e.jpg
It's always fun listening to him under oath, according to his testimony he does nothing in his businesses he has people to do things and he simply signs where he is told to sign.
Old 21st January 2023, 03:16 AM   #1948
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It's always fun listening to him under oath, according to his testimony he does nothing in his businesses he has people to do things and he simply signs where he is told to sign.
He's like Sgt. Shultz: I know nothing! Nothiiiiiiiing!

Yet, according to his ex-personal attorney and self-admitted Trump dirty dealings manager for ten years, Michael Cohen, Trump knew everything that went on. He just made sure no one could prove it.
Old 21st January 2023, 06:37 AM   #1949
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

He's like Sgt. Shultz: I know nothing! Nothiiiiiiiing!

Yet, according to his ex-personal attorney and self-admitted Trump dirty dealings manager for ten years, Michael Cohen, Trump knew everything that went on. He just made sure no one could prove it.
I think that is rather obviously not the case, I mean would Trump ever lie and especially under oath?
Old 21st January 2023, 12:52 PM   #1950
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I think that is rather obviously not the case, I mean would Trump ever lie and especially under oath?
Well, ya got me there......

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics