IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 20th January 2023, 12:44 PM   #3241
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Wouldn't it be great if his attorney sues him?
Old 20th January 2023, 01:20 PM   #3242
plague311
Great minds think...

Quote:
...he essentially believed it should be paid by his attorney instead of him
So he's basically saying that since she did what he told her to do then he shouldn't be responsible? His brain is a bag of cats. The only way she should have to pay for it is if she came up to him and told him that it's in his best interest to file the lawsuit. I doubt that to be the case, but then again anyone dumb enough to be a lawyer for Trump has this coming.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2023, 03:35 PM   #3243
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
So he's basically saying that since she did what he told her to do then he shouldn't be responsible? His brain is a bag of cats. The only way she should have to pay for it is if she came up to him and told him that it's in his best interest to file the lawsuit. I doubt that to be the case, but then again anyone dumb enough to be a lawyer for Trump has this coming.
Well, the second referenced article on the subject had this:

The immediate fallout of the sanctions order was not clear. Trump had wanted to drop the lawsuit after the case was assigned to Middlebrooks, an appointee of Bill Clinton, but Habba told Fox News in a segment referenced in the ruling that she had advised him to press ahead.

So at one point Habba was the one who was encouraging him to continue. Not sure how much "protection" that would provide Trump, since he was involved in launching it in the first place, and his desire to cancel the lawsuit was because his attempt at judge-shopping failed rather than because "I realize this lawsuit was bunk". But its still something...

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2023, 03:44 PM   #3244
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

The immediate fallout of the sanctions order was not clear. Trump had wanted to drop the lawsuit after the case was assigned to Middlebrooks, an appointee of Bill Clinton, but Habba told Fox News in a segment referenced in the ruling that she had advised him to press ahead.

So at one point Habba was the one who was encouraging him to continue. Not sure how much "protection" that would provide Trump, since he was involved in launching it in the first place, and his desire to cancel the lawsuit was because his attempt at judge-shopping failed rather than because "I realize this lawsuit was bunk". But its still something...
That makes a bit more sense. The AP article I read at the time didn't mention that.

It kind of sounds like the judge wasn't basing it off of just this one lawsuit either. I saw the James lawsuit referenced and I want to say that this same judge had a case from Trump before that was frivolous?
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2023, 04:07 PM   #3245
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

It really is time for Trump to break away from the dead weight of the Republican Party, and form his own party.

Pass it on.
Old 20th January 2023, 04:43 PM   #3246
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Judge Middlebrook specifically explained why Trump could not hide behind the skirt of his attorney. He knew exactly what he was doing and was a knowledgeable and vexatious litigant.
Old 20th January 2023, 05:44 PM   #3247
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Judge Middlebrook specifically explained why Trump could not hide behind the skirt of his attorney. He knew exactly what he was doing and was a knowledgeable and vexatious litigant.
Isn't there some official branding of Trump as such? And if so, isn't this taken into account with any subsequent law suits of a similar nature? Sort of like a massive handicap before starting the race.

"Mr Trump, you have brought a suit for damages against Mr Joe Blow for...let me see here...uttering your name in vain on the internet. You are already noted to the courts as a vexatious litigant for exactly this sort of frivolous case that is designed purely to stop public discussion. So do you REALLY want to proceed with THIS case now? I warn you that the penalties can be VERY severe..."
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 20th January 2023 at 05:46 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2023, 06:13 PM   #3248
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Isn't there some official branding of Trump as such? And if so, isn't this taken into account with any subsequent law suits of a similar nature? Sort of like a massive handicap before starting the race.

"Mr Trump, you have brought a suit for damages against Mr Joe Blow for...let me see here...uttering your name in vain on the internet. You are already noted to the courts as a vexatious litigant for exactly this sort of frivolous case that is designed purely to stop public discussion. So do you REALLY want to proceed with THIS case now? I warn you that the penalties can be VERY severe..."
Yep. This is why he dropped the suit against the NY AG today.
Old 21st January 2023, 11:19 AM   #3249
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Yep. This is why he dropped the suit against the NY AG today.
Are there anti-SLAPP regulations he may be falling foul of? Is this the case here?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 09:49 AM   #3250
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Interesting about-face by Republican voters, with several polls showing Trump reversing his slide against De Santis: https://www.axios.com/2023/01/24/tru...ntial-election
Old 24th January 2023, 05:11 PM   #3251
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Interesting about-face by Republican voters, with several polls showing Trump reversing his slide against De Santis: https://www.axios.com/2023/01/24/tru...ntial-election
So both of them are on the slippery slope to perdition, just that one is going faster than the other...
Old 24th January 2023, 05:43 PM   #3252
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So both of them are on the slippery slope to perdition, just that one is going faster than the other...
Can I donate some grease?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 05:44 PM   #3253
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Desantis has been pushing extra-hard on weird unpopular religious obsessions with culture-war fairy tales, while Trump has been reverting to something closer to his true form, the version of himself that got elected instead of the one that got himself fired.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 05:58 PM   #3254
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Desantis has been pushing extra-hard on weird unpopular religious obsessions with culture-war fairy tales, while Trump has been reverting to something closer to his true form, the version of himself that got elected instead of the one that got himself fired.
How are those versions different? They're both crazy.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2023, 03:51 AM   #3255
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Trump claims Trump Organization doesn't exist.
Quote:
Donald Trump, his real-estate company and his three eldest children have filed an extraordinary, nose-thumbing response to the $250 million fraud lawsuit filed by New York Attorney General Letitia James in September, stating that "Trump Organization" is branding shorthand — not a legal entity — so it can't be sued.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-tr...133149474.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2023, 05:53 AM   #3256
Tero
Master Poster

Trump polls seem to have just gone to a poll on Biden job approval. It goes up and down depending on the Biden and national political situation.
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...-matchup-poll/

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2023, 06:07 AM   #3257
Lurch
Master Poster

Ah, yes. The fickle electorate with the collective memory of goldfish, reacting to stimuli from moment to moment like an exposed dental nerve. It'll soon get to the point where the only thing that matters is the stimulating event moments before stepping into the booth.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2023, 02:33 PM   #3258
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

Someone is desperate....
Old 28th January 2023, 02:58 PM   #3259
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!

Quote:
'Trump Organization' is branding shorthand, not a legal entity, they said repeatedly in 5,000 pages of response.
5,000 page response?

Five.
Thousand.
Pages.

I guess that's one way to buy time.
Old 28th January 2023, 03:33 PM   #3260
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
5,000 page response?

Five.
Thousand.
Pages.

I guess that's one way to buy time.
Buy time, sure but I think another goal might be to set the stage for endless appeals.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2023, 04:15 PM   #3261
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

5,000 page response?
How many of them say "this page intentionally left blank"?

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2023, 04:18 PM   #3262
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk
I was thinking more along the lines of a legal mumbo jumbo variant of,
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
"

Last edited by Mike!; 28th January 2023 at 04:21 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2023, 04:51 PM   #3263
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Five thousand pages filled with Trump's grievances like the world had never seen before. The best grievances.
Old 28th January 2023, 04:58 PM   #3264
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

My wife had to drive into Columbia, SC today, and was concerned that her meeting (near the State Museum) would be getting out about the same time that Trump's rally was supposed to be starting. But it wasn't an issue because so few people showed up.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2023, 05:44 PM   #3265
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
My wife had to drive into Columbia, SC today, and was concerned that her meeting (near the State Museum) would be getting out about the same time that Trump's rally was supposed to be starting. But it wasn't an issue because so few people showed up.
Happy Dance!
Old 28th January 2023, 06:31 PM   #3266
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

You know what else was branding shorthand and [decidedly] not a legal entity? The Gambino Family.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2023, 06:36 PM   #3267
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

"
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Five thousand pages filled with Trump's grievances like the world had never seen before. The best grievances.

So much funny, I shall have to nom you all.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2023, 07:43 PM   #3268
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
But Trump said there were thousands outside who couldn't get in.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2023, 09:55 PM   #3269
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
But Trump said there were thousands outside who couldn't get in.
Those "thousands outside" are all in Florida and can't find or afford their way to Columbia SC.
Old 29th January 2023, 02:03 AM   #3270
Mojo
Mostly harmless

"

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum..."

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2023, 02:57 AM   #3271
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum..."

Per Google Translate:
Quote:
It is important to take care of the patient, to be followed by the doctor, but it is a time of great pain and suffering. For to come to the smallest detail, no one should practice any kind of work unless he derives some benefit from it. Do not be angry with the pain in the reprimand in the pleasure he wants to be a hair from the pain in the hope that there is no breeding. Unless they are blinded by lust, they do not come out; they are in fault who abandon their duties and soften their hearts, that is toil. It is important to take care of the patient, to be followed by the doctor, but it is a time of great pain and suffering. For to come to the smallest detail, no one should practice any kind of work unless he derives some benefit from it. Do not be angry with the pain in the reprimand in the pleasure he wants to be a hair from the pain in the hope that there is no breeding. Unless they are blinded by lust, they do not come out; they are in fault who abandon their duties and soften their hearts, that is toil. It is important to take care of the patient, to be followed by the doctor, but it is a time of great pain and suffering. For to come to the smallest detail, no one should practice any kind of work unless he derives some benefit from it. Do not be angry with the pain in the reprimand in the pleasure he wants to be a hair from the pain in the hope that there is no breeding. Unless they are blinded by lust, they do not come out, they are in fault who abandon their duties and soften their hearts, that is toil.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2023, 03:56 AM   #3272
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Per Google Translate:

It isn't really intended to be translated: Lorem ipsum.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2023, 04:38 AM   #3273
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Pedere incipientes te salutamus.
Old 29th January 2023, 06:19 AM   #3274
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

It isn't really intended to be translated: Lorem ipsum.
I learned something today. Thanks!
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2023, 06:51 AM   #3275
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Is it weird that I keep forgetting that Trump is actually a primary candidate again? It’s such an obvious ploy to keep the feds off his back, I have trouble taking it seriously.
Old 29th January 2023, 06:54 AM   #3276
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Can you be a Primary Candidate without having officially declared?
Old 29th January 2023, 06:57 AM   #3277
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I don’t think so, but he announced it back in November.
Old 29th January 2023, 08:17 AM   #3278
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
If you can declassify documents by merely thinking about it......
Old 29th January 2023, 10:41 AM   #3279
Gulliver Foyle
Graduate Poster

Pedere incipientes te salutamus.
And a Morituri Nolumus Mori to you too.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2023, 01:34 PM   #3280
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Is it weird that I keep forgetting that Trump is actually a primary candidate again? It’s such an obvious ploy to keep the feds off his back, I have trouble taking it seriously.
And to grift which is one of his main sources of income. And to go around and give campaign speeches. I wonder how that's going to go given he already isn't drawing in the adoring crowds he's used to.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics