IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd December 2022, 09:52 PM   #81
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And then Trump can't help himself and he puts his foot in it.

For example that most recent Truth Social statement calling for overthrowing the government.
Ah, yes, but although there is no viable alternative meaning to what he said, and though everyone knows what he meant, he did not use those exact words, and you know for most, especially those defending the inflammatory statements of violence and hate, if you did not say those exact words, it's just banter. Down in the locker room, just we boys....

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2022, 08:06 AM   #82
arayder
Illuminator

People sometimes think that mental illness is the way crazy people act at the end of old movies. . .like Gloria Swanson at the end of Sunset Boulevard . . ."I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille".

I believe we are seeing the mental and emotional break down of Donald Trump. As the law and the press close in on him his volatility has only become greater. And it will continue to be so.

Indeed he has begun to dig his own grave, so to speak.

The Mar-a-Lago document scandal is the best example of Trump's breakdown since it was and is a case of him failing to keep his finger prints away from the scene of the crime.

He stole the documents, admitted that he had them and then committed more crimes in lying to the DOJ as he continued to retain the property of the government. It is widely believed that he still has documents.

I think he's going to go to jail (or a highly controlled house arrest) because he's going to continue his crazy, criminal behavior until the day comes that society decides he has to be stopped.

There will be another crime, and another and another until we've had enough.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2022, 03:54 PM   #83
mgidm86
Philosopher

I agree that Trump is on the road to doing something he can't recover from. If I could come up with a short enough list of possibilities I'd start a poll, or maybe a pool here. But it could be anything!

Like how can/will Trump be stopped? Suicide, white coats take him away, he says something illegal, Repubs tie him up in a closet, flees the US. Hopefully he is charged with something soon and that will be his downfall. I'd be fine with option 1 though, let's get it over with.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2022, 09:11 PM   #84
arayder
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I agree that Trump is on the road to doing something he can't recover from. If I could come up with a short enough list of possibilities I'd start a poll, or maybe a pool here. But it could be anything!

Like how can/will Trump be stopped? Suicide, white coats take him away, he says something illegal, Repubs tie him up in a closet, flees the US. Hopefully he is charged with something soon and that will be his downfall. I'd be fine with option 1 though, let's get it over with.
He could trail off into irrelevancy as he gets nuttier and nuttier.

He wouldn't the the first public figure to lose a following.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2022, 01:51 AM   #85
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
He could trail off into irrelevancy as he gets nuttier and nuttier.

He wouldn't the the first public figure to lose a following.
Let hope he doesn't inspire any more Darwin awards winners like Ashlli Babbitt would be a shame if we ran out of Darwin awards.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2022, 04:15 AM   #86
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Maybe the USA needs a major incident like this. The storming of the capital turned into a bit of a damp squib because once people got in, the majority just wandered around.

Maybe an actual armed uprising by a large group of Maga rats will open peoples eyes to the damage that ideology does.

The 2A people seem quite happy for their right to be paid with the blood of school children so surely a few more corpses wont matter if it it leads to the divisions being closed.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2022, 11:41 AM   #87
Hans
Philosopher

His ultimate downfall is when he is facing conviction he'll call for people to 'come and protect me' and some nuts will and you'll have a shoot out.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2022, 11:47 AM   #88
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
His ultimate downfall is when he is facing conviction he'll call for people to 'come and protect me' and some nuts will and you'll have a shoot out.
And at that point we'll find out how willing he is to go down in a "Blaze of glory" or not.
Old 25th December 2022, 12:21 PM   #89
sackett
Philosopher

As long as we're scripting our movie, that would make a good Act 3 catastrophe. NB: Budget for a major police/chase/explosions/blank-firing ordnance production.

The coda, of course, is when Thrump is found cowering in his daughter's demolished powder room, whimpering, "Don' shoo me, don' shoo me! I ain' godda gung! Hones'!" Brief pan over the bodies of his red-capped followers, who are of course still dead. Roll credits.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2022, 12:27 PM   #90
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Already a precedent, remember last September? And that was over trump's possibly being indicted, not convicted. In an interview with conservative talk radio host Hugh Hewitt trump said at the time:
Quote:
““I think if it happened, I think you’d have problems in this country the likes of which perhaps we’ve never seen before. I don’t think the people of the United States would stand for it.” Hewitt asked Trump what he meant by “problems.” “I think they’d have big problems. Big problems. I just don’t think they’d stand for it. They will not sit still and stand for this ultimate of hoaxes,” Trump said. Link to Politico news report
What would be hilarious -- in a Monty Python kind of way -- would be if the public did indeed 'rise up' against this "ultimate of hoaxes" but instead go after trump!

newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2022, 02:06 PM   #91
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

That's the question that I often wonder about...

What happens to Trump when his followers finally realise that he has just been ripping them off, over and over and over again?

Is there anywhere on the planet that he would be safe once they wake up ?
Old 26th December 2022, 02:31 PM   #92
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post

What happens to Trump when his followers finally realise that he has just been ripping them off, over and over and over again?

My guess is that most of them will never admit it or realize it. They'll latch onto the next guy the Repubs throw at them without missing a beat.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2022, 02:53 PM   #93
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post

Why are they going to wake up?
If they insulate themselves from political realities by severally limiting their sources of news, and are capable of dismissing any evidence showing his crookedness, then can we expect them to ever admit that Trump was a crook, a bad president, and a compulsive liar?
Old 26th December 2022, 03:49 PM   #94
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Some have woken up, and they've been no danger to him. When people come out of a cult or other brainwashing, their state of mind is not a dangerous rage. It's either shame & regret which only motivates them to try to move on with their lives without looking back or possibly even hide from it all, or positive motivation to try to help others escape or prevent future victims from falling in in the first place.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2022, 07:52 AM   #95
Flo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Some have woken up, and they've been no danger to him. When people come out of a cult or other brainwashing, their state of mind is not a dangerous rage. It's either shame & regret which only motivates them to try to move on with their lives without looking back or possibly even hide from it all, or positive motivation to try to help others escape or prevent future victims from falling in in the first place.
or, far too often, find another cult/prophet in order to dull said shame and regrets and try again to find the elusive meaning for their lives …
Flo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2022, 10:50 AM   #96
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

They will never admit Trump is a crook, liar, criminal because he embodies their world view. To admit it would invalidate them.

I think we all know there is a large section of US society that are a bunch of spite filled racists that blame all their woes on which ever foreign bogeyman is currently in vogue.

Everybody knew what Trump was like before he got voted in. Everybody knew what he was like in 2020. He still got 74 million votes. That's 74 million people who knowingly voted for a lying, cheating, racist scumbag. You wont change their ideology, you need to aim for the young and educate it out of them. You won't be able to do that whilst you have people like De Santis et al in positions of power, able to corrupt entire states.

Your country has a long time to go before it is going to be able to exorcise the demons Trump unleashed.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2022, 10:57 AM   #97
JoeMorgue
Suspended

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Ah, yes, but although there is no viable alternative meaning to what he said, and though everyone knows what he meant, he did not use those exact words, and you know for most, especially those defending the inflammatory statements of violence and hate, if you did not say those exact words, it's just banter. Down in the locker room, just we boys....
That's why the one place the Right still (sorta, it's complicated) routinely lose is in Court, because that's the last place where it's near impossible to talk out of the side of your mouth. You can't (as easily) talk in code or talk 'in character' or 'totally not say... but then clearly say' or any of their other tricks.

You have so say what you mean and more importantly OWN what you mean in court.

It's why the biggest of the trolls; Alex Jones, the election deniers, people like that, hit such a hard brickwall when they moved into Court, none of their bags of tricks could go with them.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 27th December 2022 at 11:08 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2022, 12:51 PM   #98
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Flo View Post
or, far too often, find another cult/prophet in order to dull said shame and regrets and try again to find the elusive meaning for their lives …
Back twenty years ago or so it was common to hear outspoken atheists go on and on about how much better the world could be without religion.

And they were not wrong, but....

As religion becomes less prominent it seems that instead many people just latch onto religious-like thinking. All the dumb conspiracy theories and extreme political viewpoints like those encapsulated in the MAGA/Qanon movement.

Like we can never get away from that sort of anti-logical thinking. As religion loses ground, it just gets replaced with new but equally inane belief systems.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2022, 12:52 PM   #99
JoeMorgue
Suspended

I'm comfortable with squaring that circle by calling it all religion.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2023, 10:54 PM   #100
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

The nightmare scenario.

Trump gets tried for Jan.6 or tampering with the Georgia count and gets convicted.

Before sentencing he starts whipping up his minions and tells them they have to take their country back by storming the courthouse just before the sentencing.

The maga mob gets the message just like they did on January 6 and storm the courthouse.

Am I paranoid?

More like a make popcorn scenario.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2023, 08:17 AM   #101
ahhell
Philosopher

The nightmare scenario.

Trump gets tried for Jan.6 or tampering with the Georgia count and gets convicted.

Before sentencing he starts whipping up his minions and tells them they have to take their country back by storming the courthouse just before the sentencing.

The maga mob gets the message just like they did on January 6 and storm the courthouse.

Am I paranoid?
Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
More like a make popcorn scenario.
Yep, araydar is not paranoid but still wrong to be afraid of this. There are thousands of worse scenarios.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2023, 12:56 PM   #102
arayder
Illuminator

Hey, folks, anybody who would organize a violent coup and then sit on his hands while the capital is being stormed is capable of anything.

IMHO Trump has and is selling secrets to the Saudis. He's a sick evil ****.

He'll do anything!
Old 11th January 2023, 05:09 PM   #103
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I seriously doubt that Trump will ever be convicted.

Not that I don't think he's done anything illegsl. I just don't think he'll ever be held to account for anything.
Yep, it would appear the USA's justice system is an unfunny joke.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2023, 05:12 PM   #104
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Agreed, though I hope I'm wrong. The US legal system seems perfect for someone like him to spin it out for years (and years and ...)
My only hope is Trump being rendered bankrupt! That's where his values live, in his pocketbook.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2023, 05:14 PM   #105
Nosi
Master Poster

The scenario goes to Trump being at the end of his rope much like he was on Jan. 6.

At trial he and his lawyer could do all sorts of things which they would hope might get him off the hook.

But if it started going bad I could see Trump working on a plan for escape or flight. The rescue by a maga mob option might be the idea of the maga boys but as a workable solution, getting DJT to safety if they spring him seems doubtful.
My worry would be a foreign national with a boat snatching the Trumper out front of Mar-a-Lago.

Hiding from the
Old 11th January 2023, 05:21 PM   #106
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Perhaps Trump will run off to the wilderness to live off the grid, in order to escape justice! He will roam the mountain forests alone, living off the land, seizing squirrels from the trees and field mice from the beaks of passing owls. His legend will grow and many will claim to have spotted, off in the distance, roaring majestically, that fantastic beast: Bigfat!
If you think THIS can live off the land...

Hiding from the
Old 11th January 2023, 05:22 PM   #107
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Everybody knew what Trump was like before he got voted in. Everybody knew what he was like in 2020. He still got 74 million votes. That's 74 million people who knowingly voted for a lying, cheating, racist scumbag.
That's not very fair. Once Trump became their candidate they didn't have a choice - and anyway how bad could he be?

It's not easy being a Deplorable!
Old 11th January 2023, 05:24 PM   #108
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
So what happens in this scenario? A bunch of the MAGAts get slaughtered, the rest get arrested, and everyone else sees them and Trump for who they really are. None of them ever see the outside of a prison again.
A war outside the meme-spatter-shot?

We've had a meme-spatter-shot going on for a while.

Hiding from the
Old 11th January 2023, 05:27 PM   #109
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Trump is not going to prison. Not because he doesn't deserve to; it just ain't happening. The betting window is open for any takers.
Agreed, as security for an ex-president in prison would be a nightmare. Trump will get house arrest in some posh estate somewhere, hopefully without his smartphone.

Hiding from the
Old 11th January 2023, 05:36 PM   #110
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I'm still not really seeing what's in it for them. I suppose they might fell some loyalty, but assuming Trump is fleeing US justice, it's not like he'd be able to do anything from the Saudis now and he'd be a pretty big pain in the ass. The could also alleviate any guilt over the lack of loyalty by remember that sweet heart deal they Gave Kushner.
They could welcome him with open arms, then poison him.

Hiding from the
Old 11th January 2023, 05:45 PM   #111
Nosi
Master Poster

Perhaps he'll plead for home detention at his FL resort. I'd bet he could get the judge to agree with that. It's a mess given the Secret Service is supposed to protect him even if he's in jail. Then he can keep charging the Secret Service for their room and board there.
That resort isn't going to be Trump's much longer, as it is collateral on some of his larger loans. Most of his properties are, so I think the US government is going to have to shell out on a property to stow 'em.

Also, there are legal beagles talking about Trump loosing his presidential perks if he's convicted of certain government crimes, (documents) and that would include Secret Service.

Hiding from the
Old 11th January 2023, 06:27 PM   #112
Nosi
Master Poster

Perhaps he'll plead for home detention at his FL resort. I'd bet he could get the judge to agree with that. It's a mess given the Secret Service is supposed to protect him even if he's in jail. Then he can keep charging the Secret Service for their room and board there.
That resort isn't going to be Trump's much longer, as it is collateral on some of his larger loans. Most of his properties are, so I think the US government is going to have to shell out on a property to stow 'em.

Also, there are legal beagles talking about Trump loosing his presidential perks if he's convicted of certain government crimes, (documents) and that would include Secret Service.

Hiding from the
Old 11th January 2023, 06:31 PM   #113
Nosi
Master Poster

So with the January 6 criminal referrals out will we start to see Trump working on the jury pool via his social media site and his friends in the right wing media?
That jury is going to be held in isolation, tighter than any jury in history.

Hiding from the

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics