IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags kanye west

Old 3rd December 2022, 10:24 PM   #81
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I disagree with that. He didn't deny the Holocaust, just the raw numbers. I don't think that makes him a denier that horrible atrocity occurred. A lot of people question the numbers.

It's an estimate, and the most widely accepted one, not a precise number. Do you really want to debate this?

Quote:
I don't see Kanye as having evil intent; I see him as relatively ignorant and insane.
Willfully ignorant. A piss-poor excuse.
Old 3rd December 2022, 10:41 PM   #82
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
It's an estimate, and the most widely accepted one, not a precise number. Do you really want to debate this?

I don't particularly care about the exact number. I'm just saying that Kanye questioning what is admittedly not a precise number, does not make him a Holocaust Denier in my book. People often get fixated on the numbers and lose sight of the atrocities.

Now if he starts saying it is a Zionist lie, and that no Jews were killed, and that there was no intent to exterminate them, then yeah, he is right there.

I think we cannot arbitrarily assign things such as willful ignorance, while in the same sentence labeling him as being out of his damn mind.

Last edited by Warp12; 3rd December 2022 at 10:45 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2022, 11:09 PM   #83
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I don't particularly care about the exact number. I'm just saying that Kanye questioning what is admittedly not a precise number, does not make him a Holocaust Denier in my book. People often get fixated on the numbers and lose sight of the atrocities.
I guess you do want to debate this. You say "a lot of people question the numbers." Who questions the numbers? Any serious historians who have actually researched the question? And further, he didn't question the numbers, he asserted that the 6 million figure was "factually incorrect."

Quote:
Ye didn’t answer directly. Instead, and somehow this is being glossed over, he replied, “And he didn’t kill 6 million Jews, that’s just, like, factually incorrect.”
A statement like that without any further explanation, is not questioning, it is denying. Upon what historical authority does he rely for this assertion? Obviously he didn't personally research the question. The fact that the number is necessarily an estimate does not make it "factually" incorrect. We will never know the precise number.

I'm not a historian but I can Google information and read Wikipedia (which has bibliological references to back this up).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust#Death_toll

Quote:
The Jews killed represented around one third of world Jewry[417] and about two-thirds of European Jewry, based on a pre-war figure of 9.7 million Jews in Europe.[418] Most heavily concentrated in the east, the pre-war Jewish population in Europe was 3.5 million in Poland; 3 million in the Soviet Union; nearly 800,000 in Romania, and 700,000 in Hungary. Germany had over 500,000.[416] The death camps in occupied Poland accounted for half the Jews murdered. At Auschwitz, the number of Jewish victims was 960,000;[419] Treblinka 870,000;[164] Bełżec 600,000;[160] Chełmno 320,000;[161] Sobibór 250,000;[163] and Majdanek 79,000.[162] The most commonly cited death toll is the six million given by Adolf Eichmann to SS member Wilhelm Höttl, who signed an affidavit mentioning this figure in 1945.[420][ac] Historians' estimates range from 4,204,000 to 7,000,000.[422] According to Yad Vashem, "[a]ll the serious research" confirms that between five and six million Jews were murdered.[ac]
Old 3rd December 2022, 11:46 PM   #84
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I disagree with that. He didn't deny the Holocaust, just the raw numbers. I don't think that makes him a denier that horrible atrocity occurred. A lot of people question the numbers.

I don't see Kanye as having evil intent; I see him as relatively ignorant and insane.
It looks as if we're circling the usual right wing escape route: he can't be held accountable because he's too stupid and crazy to be responsible.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2022, 12:16 AM   #85
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
When one of the most famous people on Earth goes full neo-Nazi, it's going to get attention. Of course.
I guess this just really dates me because I couldn't name a single piece of his music or anything about him except I think he was once married to a Kardashian...can't say which one because I don't pay any attention to them either.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2022, 05:33 AM   #86
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I guess this just really dates me because I couldn't name a single piece of his music or anything about him except I think he was once married to a Kardashian...can't say which one because I don't pay any attention to them either.
Wasn't that Kim the one who did the sex tape that made the Kardashians famous?
Doesn't surprise me Trump has partied with Racists and Anti Semites before Like Dr. Jerome Corsi. Republicans decided these people were OK because the need them now too win elections!
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2022, 07:25 AM   #87
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I disagree with that. He didn't deny the Holocaust, just the raw numbers. I don't think that makes him a denier that horrible atrocity occurred. A lot of people neo-nazis question the numbers.

Apparently you're unaware that JAQing off the numbers is part and parcel of Holocaust Denial 101.

Hence I fixed it for you.
Old 4th December 2022, 07:30 AM   #88
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Apparently you're unaware that JAQing off the numbers is part and parcel of Holocaust Denial 101.

Hence I fixed it for you.

I don't think one has to be a neo-nazi to question the numbers. But we have other topics for that.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2022, 07:38 AM   #89
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

He loves Hitler. He defends Hitler. He threatens Jews with violence. He's closely associated with a brazen neo-nazi. And he JAQs off the Holocaust, as do neo-nazis.

And yet you're confident he's not a Holocaust denier.

You're reaching new lows here, and that's no small accomplishment.
Old 4th December 2022, 07:41 AM   #90
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think one has to be a neo-nazi to question the numbers. But we have other topics for that.
He didn't "question" the number, he flat-out asserted that it was "factually incorrect."

Really the only people who have any business questioning the numbers are serious historians who have actually studied the historical evidence.

Besides, he said other things like "I love Hitler" that sort of give the game away.
Old 4th December 2022, 07:43 AM   #91
Warp12
Banned

He loves Hitler. He defends Hitler. He threatens Jews with violence. He's closely associated with a brazen neo-nazi. And he JAQs off the Holocaust, as do neo-nazis.

And yet you're confident he's not a Holocaust denier.

You're reaching new lows here, and that's no small accomplishment.

Look, I think the guy is crazy. And I have thought that for a long time. Nothing to do with this latest material. It isn't an excuse for him...it is an observation.

Half of the time I am pretty sure that even he doesn't know wtf he is talking about. I mean, how can someone say, "I love Jews...and I love Nazis"?? Batspit crazy and oblivious to reality.
Old 4th December 2022, 07:48 AM   #92
angrysoba
Philosophile

You know, there really is no need to bend over backwards so far to extend charity to a person who loves Hitler and the Nazis and to wonder aloud if anything that sounds like a defence or the Nazis comes from a good place. Do you really do these kinds of mental gymnastics for other, non-fascist, people?
Old 4th December 2022, 08:52 AM   #93
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Yes, but one can, in a way, define his fame by that very measure. I too don't think I've ever heard more than a phrase or two of his music, and if asked which Kardashian he married I wouldn't remember, because they're all alien to me. I don't care what they do and don't follow it. And yet, we must admit that despite all this, we do know who these people are, and hear about their alarms and excursions and foolishness.

I couldn't name the heads of major corporations, the leaders of numerous nations around the world, or most of the members of our own cabinet. But I know who Ye is. The reason for this, or the justification for it, is secondary. For whatever reason, he really is that famous (or infamous if you prefer).

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2022, 09:12 AM   #94
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I think you're using a standard to justify one thing while having used just the opposite to justify others.

If Ye were a person of demonstrated intelligence and scholarship, one might take his statement as questioning the numbers, even if one disputed it. But you have just finished saying (with good reason I think) that he's crazy and ignorant. When that person combines anti-semitism with admiration for Hitler and his fine accomplishments, with an assertion that the dimension of the holocaust is a lie.. that person is not just "questioning the numbers."

I don't think you can have it both ways. You can't pass over his outrageous statements with the excuse that he's a deluded idiot who doesn't understand what he's saying, and then presume that one of those statements is a serious one free of the load the others carry.

Old 4th December 2022, 02:39 PM   #95
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Defending Nazi and Hitler is mainstream Republican these days.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2022, 03:34 PM   #96
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Look, I think the guy is crazy. And I have thought that for a long time. Nothing to do with this latest material. It isn't an excuse for him...it is an observation.

Half of the time I am pretty sure that even he doesn't know wtf he is talking about. I mean, how can someone say, "I love Jews...and I love Nazis"?? Batspit crazy and oblivious to reality.
He's a neo-Nazi Holocaust denier, and a putrid, bullying individual. I couldn't care less about his emotional problems.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2022, 03:46 PM   #97
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What total crap.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2022, 03:47 PM   #98
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Someone should tell Kayne what Hitler really thought about Blacks.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2022, 04:07 PM   #99
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Someone should tell Kayne what Hitler really thought about Blacks.
What makes you think that would bother him?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2022, 04:34 PM   #100
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Imagine that Kanye isn't a holocaust denier. He's just a stickler for historical accuracy when he questions the numbers.

Originally Posted by Kanye West, in the disingenuous imagination of apologists
Six million may not be accurate. It's closer to 5.9 million. But of course that constitutes a holocaust, and it's one of the most horrific events in history.
Ya sure.
Old 4th December 2022, 05:42 PM   #101
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Now if he starts saying it is a Zionist lie, and that no Jews were killed, and that there was no intent to exterminate them, then yeah, he is right there.

I think we cannot arbitrarily assign things such as willful ignorance, while in the same sentence labeling him as being out of his damn mind.
You do know that questioning the number is an example of holocaust denial, don't you? And, by the way, you don't get to define holocaust denial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust_denial

Quote:
Holocaust deniers make one or more of the following false statements:[6][7][8]

Nazi Germany's Final Solution was aimed only at deporting Jews and did not include their extermination.
Nazi authorities did not use extermination camps and gas chambers for the genocidal mass murder of Jews.
The actual number of Jews murdered is significantly lower than the accepted figure of approximately 6 million, typically around a tenth of that figure.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 4th December 2022 at 05:46 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2022, 06:26 PM   #102
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And yet....you defend almost everything he says with very odd excuses.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2022, 07:30 PM   #103
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Body of work.
Old 5th December 2022, 06:54 AM   #104
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Warp12
I'm just saying that Kanye questioning what is admittedly not a precise number, does not make him a Holocaust Denier in my book. People often get fixated on the numbers and lose sight of the atrocities
Jesus ******* Christ! The numbers are a ******* estimate, but millions were murdered which is why it is called a god damned Holocaust. What difference would it make it the numbers are off a few hundred thousand, or even a few million? Hitler's attempt to annihilate the Jews is all we need remember about him, not if he made the trains run on time, or if he invented the highway system. Also too, there's no good reason to cut West any slack for this JAQing off attempt.

Not even remotely edgy.

Last edited by Resume; 5th December 2022 at 06:55 AM. Reason: typos
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2022, 06:56 AM   #105
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Jesus ******* Christ! The numbers are a ******* estimate, but millions were murdered which is why it is called a god damned Holocaust. What difference would it make it the numbers are off a few hundred thousand, or even a few million? Hitler's attempt to annihilate the Jews is all we need remember about him, not if he made the trains run on time, or if he invented the highway system. Also too, there's no good reason to cut West any slack for this JAQing off attempt.

Not even remotely edgy.

I guess you didn't read this post from earlier:

Seems like we are in agreement, tbh.
Old 5th December 2022, 07:30 AM   #106
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I guess you didn't read this post from earlier . . .
I read it.

Quote:
I don't particularly care about the exact number. I'm just saying that Kanye questioning what is admittedly not a precise number, does not make him a Holocaust Denier in my book
If you don't care about the number, why would you then point out that it is "admittedly" not a precise number?. You know, If you don't care about it?

In my book, it seems as if you do, in fact, care about the number.

Quote:
Seems like we are in agreement, tbh.
So no, not in agreement, and not edgy either.

Last edited by Resume; 5th December 2022 at 07:31 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2022, 07:32 AM   #107
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
So no, not in agreement, and not edgy either.

I definitely see it as we are in agreement on the matter. The precise numbers are not as significant as recognizing the atrocities.

If you disagree with this, then yes, we are not on the same page.

I have only seen Kanye dispute the numbers, not the atrocities. Maybe that is still to come.

Last edited by Warp12; 5th December 2022 at 07:33 AM.
Old 5th December 2022, 07:38 AM   #108
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I have only seen bears walk in the woods, not **** in the woods. Maybe that is still to come.
Old 5th December 2022, 08:07 AM   #109
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

If Kanye is merely a stickler for historical accuracy (guffaw), and he actually recognizes the atrocity of the holocaust, yet he loves Hitler anyway ... that's even more demented.
Old 5th December 2022, 08:26 AM   #110
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I definitely see it as we are in agreement on the matter. The precise numbers are not as significant as recognizing the atrocities.

I have only seen Kanye dispute the numbers, not the atrocities. Maybe that is still to come.
You claim to not "particularly care" about the numbers, yet you continue to bring them up. There likely can be no precise numbers (maybe they're even larger than estimates) so there is no real reason to bring them up, unless maybe in an attempt to minimize them, as I believe West is attempting to do. When he praises Hitler, and claims to "love" Nazis, as he did in his interview with the deplorable Alex Jones, he's not really fooling anyone, and to pretend otherwise seems disingenuous, and again, not edgy.

So yes, we are in disagreement about the artist who now calls himself Ye, and though he is clearly ill, he is still an asswipe
Old 5th December 2022, 08:31 AM   #111
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

If Kanye is merely a stickler for historical accuracy (guffaw), and he actually recognizes the atrocity of the holocaust, yet he loves Hitler anyway ... that's even more demented.
His cheese has slid off his rocker. Although he may be attempting to be an Edgelord. Likely both, and still an asswipe.
Old 5th December 2022, 08:37 AM   #112
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Kanye was not engaged in a discussion of the details of the holocaust. He was engaged in a discussion about his admiration for Hitler, punctuated by anti-semitism and outrageous factual error, and threw in reference to the inaccuracy of holocaust accounts without further elaboration, including any indication that his dispute was about just the number rather than the murders themselves. You accuse others of over-interpretation, but it is your own interpretation of the statement that presumes the denial was of the exact number, and not the whole fact, and your own extrapolation that presumes he might have continued with any kind of reasonable explanation despite the statement occurring after a salvo of unreasonable statements.

If you have a red flag behind the seat of your truck, it's not the same thing as marching at the head of a torchlight parade waving it. It means a different thing. Context really does matter.

Old 5th December 2022, 09:25 AM   #113
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Denialism of factual events or occurrences is, quite often, not done by denying the entire occurrence but of some of the details. Their goal is to inject doubt and then grow that seed of doubt. This is seen with climate change denialism, moon landings denialism and other conspiracy theories. It's idiocy unsuccessfully disguised as reasonable skepticism.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2022, 09:25 AM   #114
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I believe Ye thinks he can break the Matrix that is the World by glitching out of it when the keeps on banging on about Hitler being great and over no-go areas of polite discourse.
Old 5th December 2022, 11:55 AM   #115
grunion
Penultimate Amazing

The Kanye reddit forum was turned into a Taylor Swift forum for a couple of days, now primarily a Holocaust awareness reddit.
Old 5th December 2022, 12:09 PM   #116
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

The only reason that Ye has not been caught in a butterfly net and taken away in a white van is that money completely trumps sense in the USA. Ye is still (relatively) rich, so he is given license, encouragement and even applause to do and say whatever flits through is addled brain today. He isn't the only example.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2022, 01:33 PM   #117
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

One doesn't have to be in theory, but that is in fact the way it shakes out in reality.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2022, 02:36 PM   #118
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It looks as if we're circling the usual right wing escape route: he can't be held accountable because he's too stupid and crazy to be responsible.
But yet he should be President once again....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th December 2022, 12:07 AM   #119
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If you listen to Ye's comments, I think it's clear that he is using "love" as a not-so-clever substitute for "screw you".
He thinks he has found the Christian Loophole of "loving your enemy", which he understands to mean that you should hide behind declaration of love whilst working to exterminate them.
Old 6th December 2022, 05:32 AM   #120
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

In yet another typical Ye move, Ye now says that Jewish people should "forgive Hitler".

To wit, ....

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...102235616.html

Kanye West to Proud Boys Founder: ‘Jewish People, Forgive Hitler’

Less than a week after Kanye West praised Adolf Hitler in an interview with conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, West – flanked by white supremacist Nick Fuentes – sat down with Proud Boys founder Gavin McInnes to demand that Jewish people “forgive Hitler.”

At one point, McInnes gives West a hypothetical question. “So you’re president of the United States,” says McInnes. “It’s day one and someone walks in and they go, ‘So what are we going to do about these Jews?’ What do ya say?” West replies, eliciting laughs from Fuentes and McInnes: “Jews should work for Christians. I’ll hire a Jewish person in a second if I knew they weren’t a spy and I could look through their phone and follow through their house and have a camera all in their living room.”

West ends the interview by saying he “loves everyone” and says that “the rules of the country will be based on the bible.”

“Jewish people can’t tell me who I can love and who I can’t love,” he continues. “You can’t say, you can’t force your pain on everyone else. Jewish people, forgive Hitler today.”

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics