IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 3rd January 2023, 06:54 PM   #81
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 57,211
Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
No. The only time a Democrat should vote for an R is to permanently disbar them from any office.
SO you want one party rule in the US.Nice.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 06:57 PM   #82
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 26,497
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
SO you want one party rule in the US.Nice.
We already have only one party actually governing.
__________________
Fight like a Ukrainian.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 07:09 PM   #83
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 26,497
The Dems could cut Kev off at the knees and either leave the chamber or vote "present". This lowers the threshold for number of votes required. Retaining the Speaker's Gavel aside, Kev being beholden to the Democratic Conference is the best possible outcome for the Dems. McCarthy might as well walk on over and hand both his balls to Jefferies at that point. The upside is that he can safely forget the concessions he made to the Monkey ******* a Football caucus of his own party. The down side for ol' Kev is that the world knows he got the speakership with the permission of the Democrats.
__________________
Fight like a Ukrainian.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 07:11 PM   #84
Hercules56
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,985
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The Dems could cut Kev off at the knees and either leave the chamber or vote "present". This lowers the threshold for number of votes required. Retaining the Speaker's Gavel aside, Kev being beholden to the Democratic Conference is the best possible outcome for the Dems. McCarthy might as well walk on over and hand both his balls to Jefferies at that point. The upside is that he can safely forget the concessions he made to the Monkey ******* a Football caucus of his own party. The down side for ol' Kev is that the world knows he got the speakership with the permission of the Democrats.
What would the Dems get in exchange for this massive favor?
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 07:12 PM   #85
Hercules56
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,985
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
SO you want one party rule in the US.Nice.
Oh spare us, the GOP want full control just as much.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 07:14 PM   #86
Tero
Master Poster
 
Tero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North American prairie
Posts: 2,924
McCarthy or someone like him can only clear this in a couple of days with Democrat votes for the speaker. This would only happen if Democrats get one or two committee head position. Horrors, a coalition gov't in the US!
__________________
Dominus vo-bisque'em Et cum spear a tu-tu, oh!

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 07:25 PM   #87
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 26,497
Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
What would the Dems get in exchange for this massive favor?
With the knowledge that they won't be there a second time if he's challenged, they get Kev's balls. More specifically, they get leverage over the Speaker to prevent some of the concessions he mad to the nutjobs.
__________________
Fight like a Ukrainian.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 07:28 PM   #88
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 31,383
In the meantime, a woman of color is in charge of the House of Representatives.

Them bigots in the GOP must find this unbearable.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 07:35 PM   #89
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 57,211
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
McCarthy or someone like him can only clear this in a couple of days with Democrat votes for the speaker. This would only happen if Democrats get one or two committee head position. Horrors, a coalition gov't in the US!
McCarthy would lose a lot of GOP votes he now has if he did that.
The US is NOT a Euro style Parliamentary system, coalition would not work.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 07:38 PM   #90
Random
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,557
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
McCarthy or someone like him can only clear this in a couple of days with Democrat votes for the speaker. This would only happen if Democrats get one or two committee head position. Horrors, a coalition gov't in the US!
Not gonna happen. McCarthy has been pre-emptively caving to the wacko right caucus with promises for months. At this point, there is nothing he could offer Democrats for their votes that would not cause him to lose even more votes from the right.

All the Dems have to do is show up, vote Jeffries, and watch the GOP rip itself to pieces. What could McCarthy offer that would beat that and let him keep his GOP votes?


*Ninja'd*
__________________
The road to Fascism is paved with people saying, "You're overreacting!".
Random is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 08:06 PM   #91
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher
 
Beelzebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,272
Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
What would the Dems get in exchange for this massive favor?
Lucy will promise not to yank the football away this time. Pinky swear. Honest.

The amazing thing is how easily centrists can talk themselves into falling for it over and over and over again.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 08:08 PM   #92
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,929
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The Speaker doesn't have to be a member.
Having been "quiet fired" from my job at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Environmental Modeling Center for having had the temerity to have lived on this Earth for too many years, I have plenty of free time. How much does the job pay? It's a pretty short commute from where I live to the Capitol.

Quote:
Some MAGATs have proposed electing Trump.
Should this happen, I'd hate to be the person who has to tell Trump that he doesn't get to vote on anything, he only gets to chair the sessions.
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 08:11 PM   #93
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,868
If they can't get this sorted real soon, then Cheryl Johnson, the Clerk of the House, will become the presiding officer when Congress convenes.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 08:11 PM   #94
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus
 
Athyrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nutsack, FL
Posts: 2,445
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
In the meantime, a woman of color is in charge of the House of Representatives.

Them bigots in the GOP must find this unbearable.

How does this work? I thought Pelosi would remain SOTH until a successor was chosen. If Biden and Harris both croaked today, who gets to be POTUS?


later/ I posted the above only a minute after reading acbytesla's post and clearly see that had not Pelosi been reelected, there would not have been a sitting SOTH. So I still want to know who would be Prez today if the first two were suddenly not here.

I never thought of this situation before.
__________________
Knowledge is good.... Emil Faber

Last edited by Athyrio; 3rd January 2023 at 08:27 PM.
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 08:21 PM   #95
sackett
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 8,160
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I was surprised they were allowed to adjourn. I thought they couldn't even do that?
They aren't the College of Cardinals, although gradually cutting off their food if they don't get down to biz would be a neat idea. And their heat, and wifi, and hot water in the washroom, and, natch, their pay.

Maybe draw lots and strip them one by one to their underwear? Nah, too cruel. To the TV audience I mean.
__________________
If you would learn a man's character, give him authority.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 08:37 PM   #96
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 31,383
Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
How does this work? I thought Pelosi would remain SOTH until a successor was chosen. If Biden and Harris both croaked today, who gets to be POTUS?


later/ I posted the above only a minute after reading acbytesla's post and clearly see that had not Pelosi been reelected, there would not have been a sitting SOTH. So I still want to know who would be Prez today if the first two were suddenly not here.

I never thought of this situation before.
Actually, that's not true. This is a new session. Every session begins with the election of the Speaker. There is no Speaker until one is elected. When one is elected the outgoing Speaker (Pelosi) presents the new Speaker with the gavel. This is simply ceremony.

The clerk of the House runs the show and is in charge of keeping order. She calls the session into order and performs the roll call. The clerk was appointed by Pelosi and certainly will be replaced by the incoming Speaker.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 08:40 PM   #97
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 31,383
Originally Posted by sackett View Post
They aren't the College of Cardinals, although gradually cutting off their food if they don't get down to biz would be a neat idea. And their heat, and wifi, and hot water in the washroom, and, natch, their pay.

Maybe draw lots and strip them one by one to their underwear? Nah, too cruel. To the TV audience I mean.
You're right. After further reading I discovered it took two months once to elect a Speaker.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 08:41 PM   #98
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 31,383
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
McCarthy would lose a lot of GOP votes he now has if he did that.
The US is NOT a Euro style Parliamentary system, coalition would not work.
What makes you think it will work with the cast of clowns the GOP is playing with?
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 08:44 PM   #99
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus
 
Athyrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nutsack, FL
Posts: 2,445
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Actually, that's not true. This is a new session. Every session begins with the election of the Speaker. There is no Speaker until one is elected. When one is elected the outgoing Speaker (Pelosi) presents the new Speaker with the gavel. This is simply ceremony.

The clerk of the House runs the show and is in charge of keeping order. She calls the session into order and performs the roll call. The clerk was appointed by Pelosi and certainly will be replaced by the incoming Speaker.

Soooo……. who gets to be President if Biden and Harris keel over today?
__________________
Knowledge is good.... Emil Faber
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 08:45 PM   #100
lobosrul5
Illuminator
 
lobosrul5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 4,127
Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
Soooo……. who gets to be President if Biden and Harris keel over today?
Kiefer Sutherland of course.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 3rd January 2023 at 08:47 PM.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 08:59 PM   #101
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 31,383
Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
Soooo……. who gets to be President if Biden and Harris keel over today?
Patty Murray; Senate Pro Temp
from Washington State.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 09:06 PM   #102
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 10,754
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
More like a **** show in slow motion. The vote is slow and tedious, but it makes good television. If this goes past 9 ballots, I'll throw my hat in the ring!
SHEMP’S HAT
- 2023 -

Adore a fedora!
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 09:21 PM   #103
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus
 
Athyrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nutsack, FL
Posts: 2,445
Originally Posted by Athyrio
Soooo……. who gets to be President if Biden and Harris keel over today?


Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Patty Murray; Senate Pro Temp
from Washington State.

Thanks. I had no luck trying to google the answer. So the President would be Democrat instead of a Republican because they can’t get their act together.
__________________
Knowledge is good.... Emil Faber
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 09:22 PM   #104
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dharug & Gundungurra
Posts: 13,622
Originally Posted by sackett View Post
They aren't the College of Cardinals, although gradually cutting off their food if they don't get down to biz would be a neat idea. And their heat, and wifi, and hot water in the washroom, and, natch, their pay.

Maybe draw lots and strip them one by one to their underwear? Nah, too cruel. To the TV audience I mean.
Vote them off the island one by one.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 09:28 PM   #105
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 31,383
Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
Originally Posted by Athyrio
[hilite]Soooo……. who gets to be President if Biden and Harris keel over today?[/hilite

Thanks. I had no luck trying to google the answer. So the President would be Democrat instead of a Republican because they can’t get their act together.
Current line of succession

No. Office[3] Incumbent Party
1 Vice President Kamala Harris Democratic
Speaker of the House of Representatives vacant
2 President pro tempore of the Senate Patty Murray Democratic
3 Secretary of State Antony Blinken Democratic
4 Secretary of the Treasury Janet Yellen Democratic
5 Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin Unknown
6 Attorney General Merrick Garland Unknown
7 Secretary of the Interior Deb Haaland Democratic
8 Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack Democratic
9 Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo Democratic
10 Secretary of Labor Marty Walsh Democratic
11 Secretary of Health and Human Services Xavier Becerra Democratic
12 Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Marcia Fudge Democratic
13 Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg Democratic
–[A] Secretary of Energy Jennifer Granholm Democratic
14 Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona Democratic
15 Secretary of Veterans Affairs Denis McDonough Democratic
–[A] Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas Democratic

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit..._of_succession
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.

Last edited by acbytesla; 3rd January 2023 at 09:30 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 09:41 PM   #106
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger
 
Orphia Nay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Posts: 41,219
McCarthy has Trump's backing, yet the rebel Trumpian republicans don't vote for him. They really haven't a brain cell between them.
__________________
"We stigmatize and send to the margins
people who trigger in us the feelings we want to avoid"
- Melinda Gates, "The Moment of Lift".
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:22 PM   #107
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 31,383
Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
McCarthy has Trump's backing, yet the rebel Trumpian republicans don't vote for him. They really haven't a brain cell between them.
McCarthy has Trump's backing. But Trump doesn't have a vote.

I also believe even the MAGA politicians have had it with Trump. They go along with Trump for utility purposes. This is about their own personal power going forward.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:24 PM   #108
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 19,306
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
McCarthy would lose a lot of GOP votes he now has if he did that.
The US is NOT a Euro style Parliamentary system, coalition would not work.
so you agree that the US parliamentary systems IS a One Party Rule - just that the Party in charge can with elections.
__________________
"The only true paradise is paradise lost"
Marcel Proust
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:36 PM   #109
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,868
I'm finding the implosion of the GOP House absolutely delicious to watch... I'll need to duck out soon before the supermarket closes to get more popcorn!

... oh, and the late night TV hosts (Jimmy Kimmel, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert etc) are having a field day!
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:50 PM   #110
Susheel
Illuminator
 
Susheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hyderabad, India
Posts: 3,040
I believe that the schadenfreude that the Dems feel will be short-lived. There is a good chance that the deplorables will ultimately all compromise on one who might represent them the best...possibly Jim Jordan and then it will be back to business...."owning the libz" and hobbling the Presidency.
__________________
I've got to get to a library...fast Robert Langdon
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:57 PM   #111
Armitage72
Philosopher
 
Armitage72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 7,556
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Should this happen, I'd hate to be the person who has to tell Trump that he doesn't get to vote on anything, he only gets to chair the sessions.

The idea presented at one point was for Trump to be elected Speaker of the House, and then the Republicans would impeach President Biden and Vice President Harris, putting him back in the White House. Fortunately, they didn't win enough seats in November for it to be a possibility.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:07 PM   #112
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 31,383
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I'm finding the implosion of the GOP House absolutely delicious to watch... I'll need to duck out soon before the supermarket closes to get more popcorn!

... oh, and the late night TV hosts (Jimmy Kimmel, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert etc) are having a field day!
Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
I believe that the schadenfreude that the Dems feel will be short-lived. There is a good chance that the deplorables will ultimately all compromise on one who might represent them the best...possibly Jim Jordan and then it will be back to business...."owning the libz" and hobbling the Presidency.
Jordan doesn’t want it. He has said so on many occasions. That's a big job and I don’t think he wants to work that hard.

I do agree that this will end and the do nothing Republicans will be hard at work at that. They will focus their efforts at making Biden and the Dems look bad. This of course will be bad for America. Might be bad for Ukraine. The next two years are likely going to be horrible.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:34 PM   #113
Gulliver Foyle
Muse
 
Gulliver Foyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cork baaaiii
Posts: 969
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
SO you want one party rule in the US.Nice.
No, I just don't think that your country should allow a party which openly consorts with enemy foreign nations to exist.
Gulliver Foyle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:57 PM   #114
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 35,968
Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
What would the Dems get in exchange for this massive favor?
Nothing.

Or more specifically, they couldn't trust the Republicans to hold up their end of any deal. As soon as Kevin is in the chair, any deal would be forgotten.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 01:17 AM   #115
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
Moderator
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 28,553
I like this take from scrutable.

https://scrutable.science/viewtopic....141189#p141193

Quote:
It’s such a crying shame.

If only the “Stupid Evil” and the “Crazy Evil” could just recognise that what unites them outweighs the petty things that divide them, then they could come together as one and work together for the Greater Evil and make this imperfect world a true Hell-on-Earth.
Continues for another couple of paragraphs
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Public/Compulsory Expenditure on healthcare
https://data.oecd.org/chart/60Tt

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 01:58 AM   #116
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 44,912
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I now regret my previous statement. I have no idea how this ends with McCarthy wining. It would require right-wing nutjobs agreeing that maybe things would just be better if they went along with the crowd and there is no way right-wing nutjobs are going to do that.
This will be the moment they sell out to the elites.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 02:01 AM   #117
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 16,304
Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
......
Thanks. I had no luck trying to google the answer. So the President would be Democrat instead of a Republican because they can’t get their act together.
There are regular, if half-hearted, efforts to change the line. It doesn't make much sense that the loss of the President and VP, however unlikely, could result in an abrupt change of the party in the White House. There are also concerns about the fitness of some of these guys. For a period of about 20 years, Strom Thurmond and Robert Byrd traded the title. Both were known to be well into senility in their later years.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 02:10 AM   #118
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 35,968
It is clear at this stage what the "rebels" want ?

Do they really want Jim Jeffreys as speaker (even though he himself does not want the role) ? Do they instead want more concessions of the type mentioned upthread in terms of Biden impeachment, Fauci to have his pension removed (and/or be imprisoned) and for them to get prime committee positions (and even be the majority on those committees) ?

Are they instead just throwing their toys out of the pram, for no particular reason, just because they can and because it gets them publicity ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 02:25 AM   #119
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 21,516
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It is clear at this stage what the "rebels" want ?

Do they really want Jim Jeffreys as speaker (even though he himself does not want the role) ? Do they instead want more concessions of the type mentioned upthread in terms of Biden impeachment, Fauci to have his pension removed (and/or be imprisoned) and for them to get prime committee positions (and even be the majority on those committees) ?

Are they instead just throwing their toys out of the pram, for no particular reason, just because they can and because it gets them publicity ?
They, and their supporters want government not to happen so the rich can rule over the poor without any pesky regulations.

Government not happening is the goal, surely?
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 02:39 AM   #120
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 28,611
Dangling even the very most remote possibility that Jeffries would be voted Speaker is like someone putting his hand out with a piece of bread to a starving person and then yanking it away only to eat it himself. This can be such a cruel world.

On the other hand, watching McCarthy's face as he was going down for the third time is rather like a starving person getting handed a full steak dinner with all the trimmings.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:31 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.