IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th January 2023, 12:14 PM   #161
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
To get the remaining 19 he must agree to impeach Biden next week. And cancel Fauci's pension.
Don't give 'em ideas!

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 12:15 PM   #162
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
I do believe, that eventually, if no speaker is elected, the US goes into default and the world will enter a great depression. Hopefully there are 19 dems that will compromise rather than see the world burn.

Liz Cheney as speaker would be kinda hilarious.

ETA: and no, the speaker does not have to be a current member of congress.
Cheney's chaos agent enough to do it!

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 12:17 PM   #163
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Have the R's offered any compromises to the Dems?
no!

Hiding from the
Old 4th January 2023, 12:21 PM   #164
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
4th vote lost.
Who do I send my resume to?

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 12:21 PM   #165
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
We already have only one party actually governing.

Hiding from the
Old 4th January 2023, 12:36 PM   #166
lobosrul5
Illuminator

5th vote lost.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 12:36 PM   #167
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
Soooo……. who gets to be President if Biden and Harris keel over today?
A poster above said that the speaker-ship is passed over when the gavel is, so until Republicans get their together, the ball and presidency would be in Pelosi's court if Biden and Harris croaked.

Hiding from the
Old 4th January 2023, 12:39 PM   #168
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
McCarthy has Trump's backing, yet the rebel Trumpian republicans don't vote for him. They really haven't a brain cell between them.
Trump may be losing his hold on the Republican Party, as more and more slide over to DeSantis.

Hiding from the
Old 4th January 2023, 12:46 PM   #169
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Suppose the Democrats agree to elect Whistlebritches if he and his GOP supporters in turn agree to specific conditions publicly and in writing. Yes, political deal-making out in the open and documented, for all voters to see. This Great January Accord would not be law, it would be a contract between honorable men to pursue the public good.

Rethuglican treachery and false dealing would of course follow, but it could never be defended as policy, or as anything honest. It would at last be seen as open black-shirted thuggery, unworthy of any man who had ever sworn an oath of office.
... or just lauded as smart politics by the faithful. You're working under the illusion that they are capable of feeling shame.
Old 4th January 2023, 12:46 PM   #170
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
SO you want one party rule in the US.Nice.
It's adorable that you believe the Democratic Party is just one party.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 12:47 PM   #171
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

And the fifth round progresses...same as the previous four.

Apart from the R recalcitrants, everyone knows this has descended beyond farce, beyond tinpot and banana republic silliness and has now reached patent lunacy. Trump has weighed in and told the GQP to "knock it off" and elect McCarhy. But Boebert, thinking she is echoing "her favourite president" has nominated somebody else. Meanwhile, EmptyG, a "hardliner" is voting FOR Kev. The fighting in the back seat of the jalopy to insanity and irrelevance is epic. Who is Donny going to rouse on now!

ETA: (and ninja'd) 5th round over, still no result.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 4th January 2023 at 12:48 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 12:47 PM   #172
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Will the whole party now be forced to select a Freedom Caucus member as speaker - forcing the Party even further to the right and ensuring that the next two years is devoted to pointless distractions ?

Last edited by The Don; 4th January 2023 at 12:49 PM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 12:50 PM   #173
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
... or just lauded as smart politics by the faithful. You're working under the illusion that they are capable of feeling shame.
Or honour, or honesty.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 12:50 PM   #174
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I'm not familiar with the full cast of decenters, but with Greene, Boebert, and Gaetz I think there needs to be only one more hardline decenter and McCarthy is screwed.
I think Greene is in the McCarthy camp.

Hiding from the
Old 4th January 2023, 12:52 PM   #175
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Lucy will promise not to yank the football away this time. Pinky swear. Honest.

The amazing thing is how easily centrists can talk themselves into falling for it over and over and over again.
I consider myself to be a centrist and I would laugh at anyone who trusted the Republicans to wipe their own asses if they thought not doing so would piss off the Democrats.

I can barely type the word "trust" without starting to laugh.
Old 4th January 2023, 12:55 PM   #176
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
I consider myself to be a centrist and I would laugh at anyone who trusted the Republicans to wipe their own asses if they thought not doing so would piss off the Democrats.

I can barely type the word "trust" without starting to laugh.
Their one consistency is that they cannot be trusted. All negotiations with them MUST have that basis.
Old 4th January 2023, 12:58 PM   #177
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nosi View Post
I think Greene is in the McCarthy camp.
She is. Boebert has stated that McCarthy offered Greene good committee assignments to get her on board, suggesting that Greene is only doing this for that reason. Greene denies this - Greene and Boebert hate each other.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 01:03 PM   #178
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Attachment 47604

From elsewhere

Hiding from the
Old 4th January 2023, 01:05 PM   #179
Hercules56
Master Poster

AOC has suggested that in exchange for keeping some committee chair seats some Democrats could vote for McCarthy or simply not vote so that he can win.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 01:10 PM   #180
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
AOC has suggested that in exchange for keeping some committee chair seats some Democrats could vote for McCarthy or simply not vote so that he can win.
Reference, please.
Old 4th January 2023, 01:16 PM   #181
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Reference, please.
I saw her on video saying that last night. But it wasn’t like she expected anything like that to happen. She said it was up to McCarthy.
Old 4th January 2023, 01:24 PM   #182
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla
Reference, please.
I saw her on video saying that last night. But it wasn’t like she expected anything like that to happen. She said it was up to McCarthy.
Ah! So it was just another Boebert running-off-at-the-mouth moment. Thanks, had not seen that here.
Old 4th January 2023, 01:31 PM   #183
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Random View Post
The GOP does not care about how they look. Shamelessness is their superpower.
This is true of the professional pols, of course, but they can fool themselves; that's how power corrupts. The public cares how they look and how they act. I think that increasing numbers of republican civilians, i.e., voters, are growing disgusted with their ostensible leaders.

Also, I think that any known deal with the dems will further split the GQP. That'd be a Good Thing in itself. They love to hate. Let them hate each other.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.

Last edited by sackett; 4th January 2023 at 01:41 PM.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 01:36 PM   #184
sackett
Philosopher

¤}°《♧■!

Originally Posted by Nosi View Post
The black woman who's being the house clerk and running the show at the moment in the House is a Pelosi pick.
What?☆??!?● Well goddammit, what more proof do you need?@#◇¿

Bar the manicades!

sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 01:37 PM   #185
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
This is true of the professional pols, of course, but they can fool themselves; that's how power corrupts. The public cares how they look and how they act. I think that increasing numbers of republican civilians, i.e., voters, are growing disgusted with their ostensible leaders.

Also, I think that any known deal with the dems will further split the GQP. That'd be a Good Thing in itself. They love to hate. Let them hate each other.
Wikipedia.org
Speaking as someone who has been waiting for GOP voters to snap out of it since the Iraq war went to ****, this is not going to be the thing that does it. This situation will be resolved one way or the other, and the GOP will go right back to bashing Dems because it is all they have.
Old 4th January 2023, 01:49 PM   #186
sackett
Philosopher

Aw gee

Originally Posted by Random View Post
Speaking as someone who has been waiting for GOP voters to snap out of it since the Iraq war went to ****, this is not going to be the thing that does it. This situation will be resolved one way or the other, and the GOP will go right back to bashing Dems because it is all they have.
My playhouse was already flimsy enough. Now you're knocking it down.

But if this current fandango makes no impression on the core Gooey Old Pissodnas (you can't expect to make an impression on solid bone), it sure & hell isn't doing them any good. There still is, I maintain, such a thing as public opinion.

Old 4th January 2023, 01:49 PM   #187
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Until the GOP changes, you have to ask why any hypothetical Republican of good intent is still supporting the party. It's not the Party of Reagn; hell, it's not even the party of Nixon.
I don't know what the hell the GOP has become, franklym exept incompetent.
I have to clarify my one party comment; I was commenting on an individual suggestion that the Dems should disqualify all GOP house members from holding office. That sounds pretty dictorial to me..and I am wierd, I don;t like authoratrainism of any stripe.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 01:51 PM   #188
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
She is. Boebert has stated that McCarthy offered Greene good committee assignments to get her on board, suggesting that Greene is only doing this for that reason. Greene denies this - Greene and Boebert hate each other.
Best catfight in ages.
THough if McCarthry promised Greene good commitee seats, I can see many GOPers shaking their heads since they do not want MTG to have a large profile.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 01:53 PM   #189
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Ah! So it was just another Boebert running-off-at-the-mouth moment. Thanks, had not seen that here.
She wasn’t being serious. The interviewer was asking her hypotheticals if McCarthy came to the Democrats asking for help. As in what it might take. She basically said she didn't know, but that McCarthy would have to offer something.

This is a situation where an out of context remark is turned into a headline. I don't think AOC was actually suggesting that McCarthy should be buying the Democrats help.
Old 4th January 2023, 02:02 PM   #190
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Best catfight in ages.
THough if McCarthry promised Greene good commitee seats, I can see many GOPers shaking their heads since they do not want MTG to have a large profile.
Five elections, number six coming up
Old 4th January 2023, 02:03 PM   #191
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
She wasn’t being serious. The interviewer was asking her hypotheticals if McCarthy came to the Democrats asking for help. As in what it might take. She basically said she didn't know, but that McCarthy would have to offer something.

This is a situation where an out of context remark is turned into a headline. I don't think AOC was actually suggesting that McCarthy should be buying the Democrats help.
BLAST! I wrote "Boebert" instead of "AOC". Was concentrating on another subject. I'll let my comments stand.
Old 4th January 2023, 02:04 PM   #192
crescent
Philosopher

Boebert has called upon "the president" to tell McCarthy to give it up:

Quote:
“The president needs to tell Kevin McCarthy that, ‘Sir, you do not have the votes and it’s time to withdraw,’” Boebert said, drawing an audible response from her colleagues on the House floor.
In true Boebert fashion, "the president" that she is referring to is Trump, not Biden.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 02:07 PM   #193
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I mean, two days ago, I could not envision a scenario where McCarthy didn't end up as the Speaker. Today, I literally have no idea how this ends.
Old 4th January 2023, 02:12 PM   #194
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I mean, two days ago, I could not envision a scenario where McCarthy didn't end up as the Speaker. Today, I literally have no idea how this ends.
It took two months to elect a Speaker in 1859.
Old 4th January 2023, 02:14 PM   #195
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

With McCarthy as speaker but the Freedom Caucus in charge ?

With a Freedom Caucus candidate as speaker ?

Edited to add....

Either way the GOP will be controlled by a dozen or so Party extremists.

Last edited by The Don; 4th January 2023 at 02:17 PM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 02:17 PM   #196
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

SIX failed attempts so elect a Speaker so far.

This comment by Republican Rep. Kat Cammack made while nominating McCarthy (again) is a real head scratcher:

"Diversity of thought is a good thing. But they want us divided. They want us to fight each other. That much has been made clear by the popcorn and blankets and alcohol that has come in over there."

Does this moron really think the Dems are sitting in the House and voting while eating popcorn and drinking alcohol? MORON.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 02:19 PM   #197
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
SIX failed attempts so elect a Speaker so far.

This comment by Republican Rep. Kat Cammack made while nominating McCarthy (again) is a real head scratcher:

"Diversity of thought is a good thing. But they want us divided. They want us to fight each other. That much has been made clear by the popcorn and blankets and alcohol that has come in over there."

Does this moron really think the Dems are sitting in the House and voting while eating popcorn and drinking alcohol? MORON.
Maybe, but he's sure that Republican voters will.
Old 4th January 2023, 02:22 PM   #198
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
I hope this **** show (or fecal festival) goes on every day for the next two ******* years.
Old 4th January 2023, 02:23 PM   #199
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Maybe, but he's sure that Republican voters will.
He's a she. She tried invoking Saint Ronnie too, to what I assume were boos. It sure wasn't applause.
Old 4th January 2023, 02:28 PM   #200
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Will the whole party now be forced to select a Freedom Caucus member as speaker - forcing the Party even further to the right and ensuring that the next two years is devoted to pointless distractions ?
The bigger question, will anyone notice the difference between a republican party with a freedom caucus member as speaker, and one where McCarthy is speaker?

After all, McCarthy seemed to be quite willing to let the wingnuts run the show before... No action against Greene or Gozar after rather questionable activities on their part, groveling to Trump after the Jan6 terrorist attack.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics