IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th January 2023, 02:28 PM   #201
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
He's a she. She tried invoking Saint Ronnie too, to what I assume were boos. It sure wasn't applause.
Reagan is turning over in his grave. Invoking RR is almost as bad as when they call themselves The Party of Lincoln.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 02:32 PM   #202
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The bigger question, will anyone notice the difference between a republican party with a freedom caucus member as speaker, and one where McCarthy is speaker?

After all, McCarthy seemed to be quite willing to let the wingnuts run the show before... No action against Greene or Gozar after rather questionable activities on their part, groveling to Trump after the Jan6 terrorist attack.
It's that a open Trumper as Speaker would be much more obvious, and probably hurt the party much more.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 02:35 PM   #203
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Would you like some salt for your wounds McCarthy?

Michael Fanone, a former Washington, DC Metropolitan Police officer who was injured while protecting the Capitol on January 6, 2021, visited the Capitol to witness the chaos surrounding GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy’s bid to become the speaker of the House....The former officer pointed to the wall outside the office where the name of the speaker usually is, saying “I just came here to rub it in”

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 02:54 PM   #204
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

House adjourns for the day.
You can't tell me in private the Dems are not enjoying every second of this. They would not be human if they did'nt.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 03:08 PM   #205
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You can't tell me in private the Dems are not enjoying every second of this. They would not be human if they did'nt.
And of course they, their unwillingness to vote for McCarthy, their booze and their popcorn makes them the true villains in this drama.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 03:17 PM   #206
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The bigger question, will anyone notice the difference between a republican party with a freedom caucus member as speaker, and one where McCarthy is speaker?

After all, McCarthy seemed to be quite willing to let the wingnuts run the show before... No action against Greene or Gozar after rather questionable activities on their part, groveling to Trump after the Jan6 terrorist attack.
I promise you there are at least 5 GoP reps out there from competitive districts scared ******** of that. Vote for bubba McMaga for speaker could cost them a point or two from the indy vote and they are gone. Or they can vote for a dem speaker and risk getting primary'd.

I shall play the world's smallest violin for them as this is a problem of the GoP's own making by making allies with the crazies starting in 2008 and then as you said, doing **** all after an insurrection attempt.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 4th January 2023 at 03:19 PM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 03:18 PM   #207
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
And of course they, their unwillingness to vote for McCarthy, their booze and their popcorn makes them the true villains in this drama.
If this was opposite land and the Dems were having the same problems, the GoP members would be cheering and catcalling from the rafters.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 03:23 PM   #208
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Not saying that at all. The villians, IMHO< are the establishment Republicans who embraced the nutjobs becuase they thought it would be to their advantage and they could control the extremist. THey were wrong.
They forgot:The monster always turns on it's creator in the end.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th January 2023, 03:26 PM   #209
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know, am I the only one concerned about this? I mean, from an actual governing perspective.

The reason McCarthy isn't winning is because he isn't whacky-extreme enough for the crazies. So the Republican resolution is to get someone more to the liking of the extremists, like Gym Jordan?

Is that what we want?

McCarthy is trash, sure, but what's the alternative?

I don't see this working out any better. The alternative to McCarthy isn't going to be more moderate.
Old 4th January 2023, 03:31 PM   #210
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
SIX failed attempts so elect a Speaker so far.

This comment by Republican Rep. Kat Cammack made while nominating McCarthy (again) is a real head scratcher:

"Diversity of thought is a good thing. But they want us divided. They want us to fight each other. That much has been made clear by the popcorn and blankets and alcohol that has come in over there."

Does this moron really think the Dems are sitting in the House and voting while eating popcorn and drinking alcohol? MORON.
I was watching this as relayed by the Meidas Boys, and if not for the presence of others in the house would have been yelling through my phone at that vile traitor. The GQP, if not consuming all its fuel in its never-ending gaslighting, could solve whatever problems Europe might face from the cutting off of gas from Russia.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 03:44 PM   #211
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Aren't they due back at 8pm?
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 03:46 PM   #212
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Not saying that at all. The villians, IMHO< are the establishment Republicans who embraced the nutjobs becuase they thought it would be to their advantage and they could control the extremist. THey were wrong.
They forgot:The monster always turns on it's creator in the end.
That + much worse IMO, embracing the nutjub rightwingers greatly, and I mean massively, expanded the number of them between ~2006 and ~2016. Fringe policies and candidates that even Fox News would never have touched suddenly got major airtime and they gaslighted mainstream America that its actually the left that is moving further from the center.
Old 4th January 2023, 04:01 PM   #213
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I don't know, am I the only one concerned about this? I mean, from an actual governing perspective.

The reason McCarthy isn't winning is because he isn't whacky-extreme enough for the crazies. So the Republican resolution is to get someone more to the liking of the extremists, like Gym Jordan?

Is that what we want?

McCarthy is trash, sure, but what's the alternative?

I don't see this working out any better. The alternative to McCarthy isn't going to be more moderate.
As has been pointed out before....

McCarthy isn't really much of a "moderate". And he has shown little interest in reigning in any of the crazies in the party in the past. So the options are:

- McCarthy, who is going to let the "freedom caucus" do whatever it wants, launch multiple investigations into hunter biden's laptop, impeach biden multiple times, vote to eliminate Obamacare again, and block anything Biden or senate democrats might do

or:

- some far-right tea-partier, who who will let the freedom caucus do what it wants, investigate hunter biden's laptop, impeach biden, try to cancel Obamacare and obstruct the democrats

Functionally they are equivalent.

As another poster suggested, the only difference is that MAYBE with a hardcore nutcase believer as speaker (as opposed to McCarthy, who may just be acting like one) is that MAYBE it might just cause a few voters in swing districts to think "maybe the republicans aren't the ones for me".

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 04:09 PM   #214
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Aren't they due back at 8pm?
Yes - that's the latest I heard (8 PM EST).
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 04:48 PM   #215
Random
Illuminator

I read one person's hot take on it that stuck with me. "It is quite strange to watch. It is simultaneously impossible for Kevin McCarthy to become Speaker because he does not have the votes, and impossible for Kevin McCarthy not to become Speaker because the GOP has no one better."

I mean, there are two questions, "Should Kevin McCarthy be Speaker?", and "If not McCarthy, then who?". It is quite clear that all things being equal the answer to the first is, "No". But the GOP answer to the second is "???"

They have the same problem they had with replacing Boehnor. The GOP needs someone who is 1) a Republican, who 2) wants the job, and 3) is hated less than Kevin McCarthy. And they don't have one.
Old 4th January 2023, 04:55 PM   #216
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Attachment 47604

From elsewhere
Thanks for the chuckles.
Gulliver Foyle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 05:01 PM   #217
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

I don't know what the hell the GOP has become, franklym exept incompetent.
I have to clarify my one party comment; I was commenting on an individual suggestion that the Dems should disqualify all GOP house members from holding office. That sounds pretty dictorial to me..and I am wierd, I don;t like authoratrainism of any stripe.
Not dictatorial to disbar those actively working with enemy foreign nations from public office. In fact under US law it's pretty much mandatory to disbar those people from life.

And in case you're wondering, the whole of the republican party are actively working with Russia who put bounties on the heads of US servicemembers (if that ain't an enemy foreign nation, you lot may as well just disband your armed forces and garage sale your weapons) and their leader is actively working with the DPRK which is still at war with the USA.
Gulliver Foyle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 05:07 PM   #218
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

McCarthy is spineless and ethically corrupt and wants power. Those do not mix well.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 05:23 PM   #219
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
Not dictatorial to disbar those actively working with enemy foreign nations from public office. In fact under US law it's pretty much mandatory to disbar those people from life.

And in case you're wondering, the whole of the republican party are actively working with Russia who put bounties on the heads of US servicemembers (if that ain't an enemy foreign nation, you lot may as well just disband your armed forces and garage sale your weapons) and their leader is actively working with the DPRK which is still at war with the USA.
Thing is we do not have collective guilt in the US;you would have to prove every GOP house member is guilty of collusion with the Russians. And some of them have been pretty consistent in their oppostion to Putin.
ANyway is still amounts to outlawinf oppostiion by law, and it sucks.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th January 2023, 05:24 PM   #220
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

McCarthy is spineless and ethically corrupt and wants power. Those do not mix well.
The charecter of Richard Rich in "A Man For All Seasons" comes to mind.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th January 2023, 05:32 PM   #221
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

The fastest and easiest solution for the GQP is simple: defy Trump and the MAGAnuts, have a dozen moderates register "present" rather than voting, accept Jefferies as speaker, get on with governing, and deal with trying to replace Jefferies later. But of course they have to have the brains and balls to take that decision.

They have neither, of course.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 05:44 PM   #222
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

This would be WAY more interesting with secret balloting. A MagaR nominates someone they don't really like, they and all the Dems vote for them. Such as the token black Republicans they've nominated.
Old 4th January 2023, 05:52 PM   #223
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Most interesthing might be that the 20 are ignoring Trump pleas to elect McCarthy.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th January 2023, 06:16 PM   #224
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

House just reconvened with McCarthy saying there is no deal and he does not want another vote tonight.
So the fiasco will go into a Third day, barring really unexpected events.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th January 2023, 06:17 PM   #225
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So not only a three ring circus, but a three day circus.
Old 4th January 2023, 06:23 PM   #226
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

LOL
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 06:25 PM   #227
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It took two months to elect a Speaker in 1859.
This is a terrifying time to connect with.
Old 4th January 2023, 06:26 PM   #228
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
It's a three ring circus, squared.
Old 4th January 2023, 06:35 PM   #229
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
This is a terrifying time to connect with.
I get that. But let's not make too much of that. Nobody is firing on Fort Sumter any time soon.

McCarthy looks like he blew it. He has had two months to secure the votes. What the hell has he been doing?

Last edited by acbytesla; 4th January 2023 at 07:08 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 06:41 PM   #230
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I get that. But let's not make too much of that. Nobody is firing on Fort Sumter any time soon.

McCarthy looks like he blew it. He has had two months to secure the votes. What the hell as he been doing?
Apparently spending a good hunk of it thinking he had it in the bag.
Old 4th January 2023, 06:42 PM   #231
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
It's a three ring circus, squared.
That is so horribly unfair. Have you ever considered the artistic and logistical feat that pulling off a three-ringed circus actually is? You have a team that is putting on three shows simultaneously while preparing to bring all of them off and the next acts on safely, all while traveling. The amount of dedication and team-work required to execute such on operation regularly is mind blowing. The Republicans are clearly not the well oiled and finely-tuned machine that is a circus.
Old 4th January 2023, 07:00 PM   #232
portlandatheist
Illuminator

They should nominate George Santos. As someone who invented the question mark and figured out the location of Osama Bin Laden, he could really unify the party.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 07:01 PM   #233
Hercules56
Master Poster

I read that the GOP could try a "nuclear option", that being they vote by simple majority to change the rule so that to be Speaker you only need the plurality of votes, forcing the 20 anti- McCarthy folks to choose between McCarthy or Jeffries.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 07:03 PM   #234
Random
Illuminator

McCarthy looks like he blew it. He has had two months to secure the votes. What the hell as he been doing?
Calling the extremist's bluff. The problem is they were not bluffing. And here we are.
Old 4th January 2023, 07:22 PM   #235
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
I read that the GOP could try a "nuclear option", that being they vote by simple majority to change the rule so that to be Speaker you only need the plurality of votes, forcing the 20 anti- McCarthy folks to choose between McCarthy or Jeffries.
Except you still have to get a majority to change the rule. That means the Democrats would have to support it. Not going to happen.
Old 4th January 2023, 07:29 PM   #236
Armitage72
Philosopher

SIX failed attempts so elect a Speaker so far.

This comment by Republican Rep. Kat Cammack made while nominating McCarthy (again) is a real head scratcher:

"Diversity of thought is a good thing. But they want us divided. They want us to fight each other. That much has been made clear by the popcorn and blankets and alcohol that has come in over there."

Does this moron really think the Dems are sitting in the House and voting while eating popcorn and drinking alcohol? MORON.

I don't know about alcohol, but Ted Lieu, a Democrat House member from California, Tweeted this picture.

Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 07:30 PM   #237
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Random View Post
Calling the extremist's bluff. The problem is they were not bluffing. And here we are.
This is probably as much personal with the 5 Never McCarthy GOP Representatives than anything to do with politics. Boebert can't stand McCarthy and MTG. She is also incredibly dumb. She asking concessions from McCarthy that no way is he, nor should he do. He has already compromised far too much.
Old 4th January 2023, 07:35 PM   #238
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

trump weighs in from Truth Social:
Quote:
"REPUBLICANS, DO NOT TURN A GREAT TRIUMPH INTO A GIANT & EMBARRASSING DEFEAT," he said on his social media platform Truth Social. "IT'S TIME TO CELEBRATE, YOU DESERVE IT! Kevin McCarthy will do a good job, and maybe even a GREAT JOB - JUST WATCH!"
The wingers didn't want to hear it. From the BBC:
Quote:
But his pleas did not make a difference as Mr McCarthy lost three more rounds of voting. Twenty conservative Republicans - all allies of the former president - refused to back down.

Colorado's Lauren Boebert told the chamber that Mr Trump had spoken to her and other defectors "to tell us to knock this off". But in her nomination speech for an alternative Republican candidate, she said Mr Trump should instead call Mr McCarthy and tell him "it's time to withdraw". BBC link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BoBo urges McCarthy withdraw.jpg (26.4 KB, 7 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2023, 08:14 PM   #239
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I get the impression this malarkey by Boebert somehow makes her think she is important. She is not. She is being an even bigger dip-**** than her usual dip-****** self.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 4th January 2023 at 08:15 PM.
Old 4th January 2023, 08:21 PM   #240
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I want Santos to make a speech.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics