IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 24th January 2023, 06:14 AM   #121
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 27,930
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Total lie. Read it if you want but it's a waste of time. Article's conclusion = nobody cares. There's nothing else worth quoting.

Try a search for "liberals complaining about whatever the **** his name is" and take a look. I already did. There's no gotcha here.

Funny because the question of whether or not he should be expected or forced to wear something like this is a valid question. The rest is bullcrap.
It's the Daily Caller, were you expecting truth?
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 06:20 AM   #122
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 10,928
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Let's say a Muslim player (from Canada) is supportive of USA but wont wear the pride jersey.
??? Bigoted villian? or diversity hero?

Nazem Kadri
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...yers-1.6563099
I'd still like to know why you claimed Kadri wouldn't wear a pride jersey, then gave a link which said no such thing.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 06:22 AM   #123
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,026
Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
How convenient...
And,.....um,........fabricated?

Or perhaps the kid is bi, and swings different ways at different points in his life.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 06:25 AM   #124
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 27,930
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Bob lives!

I take it you'll be providing some evidence that the punishment you claimed was being mooted, was actually suggested in the article?
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 06:30 AM   #125
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 10,928
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post

I take it you'll be providing some evidence that the punishment you claimed was being mooted, was actually suggested in the article?
I think Brainster is under the misunderstanding that a coach saying he never considered benching a player means someone then must have suggested benching that player. Apparently Brainster has never watched a sports interview before.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 06:41 AM   #126
8enotto
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 2,756
To go back to the thread title it becomes a blanket issue.

A person or group throws a blanket over everyone that disagrees and labels them. Even if it is a range of attitudes and beliefs under that blanket.

While an individual may not be or easily support an idea it doesn't mean they oppose it or even really care much.

But they may lash back when some activist decides his cause is everyone's problem. It isn't.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 08:26 AM   #127
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 33,439
Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
While an individual may not be or easily support an idea it doesn't mean they oppose it or even really care much.
That's why I asked for more context.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 08:41 AM   #128
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 106,900
Since he is Russian and I assume he has family and friends in Russia and he goes back to visit I don't blame him one iota for not doing or taking apart in anything connected to a positive attitude towards homosexuality. That would place him and his family and friends in real danger.

(I know he has said he didn't take part because he believes in the bigoted views of the EOC. I'm also fine him using that as mealymouthed excuse if he has to)
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 08:42 AM   #129
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 33,439
Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
It seems you define "homophobe" as anyone who does not think that homosexuality is a good thing, never mind if they don't attack gays as people, never mind if they don't persecute gays, never mind if they treat gays with the same respect they treat others.
But that is attacking gays as people. Not physically, but arguing that they, as people, are immoral. A mistake. A sin. And that is not treating gays with the same respect as others.

Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
Someone else said that if a church teaches that homosexuality is a sin, it is guilty of homophobia. This is another misuse of the word. So if a church teaches that serial adultery/swinging is a sin, does that make the church adulterophobic?
You are making the false of equivalence between criticizing someone for who they are and criticizing someone for what they do. Committing adultery is a choice, being gay is not.

Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
Ever heard of the phrase "love the sinner, hate the sin"? I had a son who lived the gay lifestyle for several years. I was disappointed with him and believed he was making mistake, but my wife and I never stopped loving him and never stopped helping him with college, rent, etc. By the way, after several years, he decided that homosexuality was not for him and abandoned it.
This is a super sad story. A son so desperate for his parents' approval that he'd rather deny a part of himself and go back into the closet than continue to disappoint them.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 09:02 AM   #130
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: In the Troll Ignoring Section
Posts: 21,206
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
...This is a super sad story. A son so desperate for his parents' approval that he'd rather deny a part of himself and go back into the closet than continue to disappoint them.
Yeah, this. I've never heard of a gay man who said being gay was a choice (much like I didn't choose to be attracted to women), but I personally know of a couple who are closeted out of shame. It's so ******* wrong to not let people be who they are.
__________________
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" -Mark Twain
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 09:14 AM   #131
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded and embattled, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 5,184
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Quote:
"love the sinner, hate the sin"
Is just an excuse, a rationalization, to marginalize or otherwise subjugate and control behavior. The in-group "loves" the sinner in much the same way some folks use the term "Well bless your heart!"

You know what would be a good sin to hate? Slavery. But I can't find it in that book.
And to excuse their own behavior. When it's the same person (or institution, like a church) defining the sin and then the sinner by that sin, it's just self-serving and mealy-mouthed logic-chopping for them to claim that they can differentiate their way out of their own circle. They pretend that "sin" is, for this particular case, an objective standard by which the action is all that's necessary for it to fall on the wrong side of the line; and they get to absolve themselves of the sin of hate by creating a difference that makes no difference between the action and an identity. It's a distinction rooted only in its convenience as a salve for their consciences.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 09:31 AM   #132
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19,576
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I'll remind you of what you claimed:



Where in that article is there any mention that he should have been punished?
Here:

Quote:
Provorov then identified himself as Russian Orthodox and later shut down a question as to whether he was concerned his skipping warmups would lead to him not playing in the game.
Somebody (a reporter of course) asked this question, implying that they thought it was a logical consequence of his actions. Not leaving it at that, they asked the coach:

Quote:
Tortorella added that he did not consider scratching Provorov despite the player's choice to miss warmups over the jersey and that Tuesday was "a great night in celebrating."
Note that word "despite"; it clearly implies that scratching Provorov would have been appropriate and expected.

I don't understand why you folks are trying to deny that the sportswriters thought he should have been punished in some way. Whatevs, there's a saying about horses and water at this point.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 09:35 AM   #133
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 10,928
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Since he is Russian and I assume he has family and friends in Russia and he goes back to visit I don't blame him one iota for not doing or taking apart in anything connected to a positive attitude towards homosexuality. That would place him and his family and friends in real danger.

(I know he has said he didn't take part because he believes in the bigoted views of the EOC. I'm also fine him using that as mealymouthed excuse if he has to)
I'm still pretty convinced that any danger faced by Provorov for wearing a pride jersey would be the same or less than danger faced by Provorov for wearing a jersey in support of the US military.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 09:38 AM   #134
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 17,003
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
This is a super sad story. A son so desperate for his parents' approval that he'd rather deny a part of himself and go back into the closet than continue to disappoint them.

Hmmm. This is your interpretation of mikegriffith1's anecdote, and I can see why you suspect that this is what happened (if it's more than a story), but it's also possible that his son is bisexual and neither hetero- nor homosexual. It is possible for somebody like that to 'live the gay lifestyle for several years' and then give it up in favor of a nuclear family (whatever). And it's possible that he may swing back again later. It's even possible that he still prefers to have sex with men but just got tired of the lifestyle: '... and hang around in bars ...'

I am reminded of an openly gay female comedian in Denmark, married to a woman, who switched to a heterosexual relationship at one point, much to everybody's surprise:
Tidligere lesbisk komiker overrasker: Forelsket i en mand (Avisen.dk, March 2, 2016)
Surprise from comedian who used to be a lesbian: In love with a man
Linda P: 'Jeg vidste hele tiden, at jeg ikke var lesbisk' (BT, Sep 9, 2018)
Linda P (her stage name): 'I always knew that I was not a lesbian'

Stranger things have happened.

And remember that this is in Denmark. We have openly gay leaders of conservative parties:
Conservative leader: 'I'm gay, so what?' (The Local, Aug 13, 2014)

There is no reason to believe that she switched to heterosexuality out of shame.

Of course, this is the wet dream of all parents who are desperate to make their gay children 'convert', which should never be encouraged and only serves to make their lives miserable.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 24th January 2023 at 09:59 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 09:40 AM   #135
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 10,928
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Here:



Somebody (a reporter of course) asked this question, implying that they thought it was a logical consequence of his actions. Not leaving it at that, they asked the coach:



Note that word "despite"; it clearly implies that scratching Provorov would have been appropriate and expected.

I don't understand why you folks are trying to deny that the sportswriters thought he should have been punished in some way. Whatevs, there's a saying about horses and water at this point.
Are you concerned that 'x' may happen =/= 'x' should happen. Jeez, you're really stretching to find some way those "liberal" sports reporters are trying to get a player punished. (I repeat that your interpretation seems to require your never having watched a sports interview before.)

And the word despite in no way implies it would have been appropriate or expected. At best, a player skipping a practice or warm-up could be benched for skipping the practice or warm-up. In fact, that has actually happened in sports, but that's a long way away from it being expected. Players that get benched for missing practice tend to have quite a few other violations that lead to that.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 09:49 AM   #136
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 33,439
Originally Posted by dann View Post
Hmmm. This is your interpretation of mikegriffith1's anecdote, and I can see why you suspect that this is what happened (if it's more than a story), but it's also possible that his son is bisexual and neither hetero- nor homosexual. [snip]
Sure, all these things are possible. Without verifying, I am under the impression that they are not as statistically likely as my interpretation, but still possible.

It does not negate the part of the narrative where the son is seen as a disappointment in the eyes of the parents. And although we are assured the sone was not treated any differently, it is highly likely that the son was fully aware of that disappointment, given the parents' rather vocal prejudice against homosexuality.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 09:56 AM   #137
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 17,003
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
... the son is seen as a disappointment ...

That is the tell-tale sign of homophobia.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 10:02 AM   #138
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 106,900
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Here:



Somebody (a reporter of course) asked this question, implying that they thought it was a logical consequence of his actions. Not leaving it at that, they asked the coach:



Note that word "despite"; it clearly implies that scratching Provorov would have been appropriate and expected.

I don't understand why you folks are trying to deny that the sportswriters thought he should have been punished in some way. Whatevs, there's a saying about horses and water at this point.
Your claim is that the sportswriters thought he should be punished - there is nothing in that CBS article that indicates the sports writers thought that at all. It's in fact a good report in that the journalist own views aren't in the article.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 02:07 PM   #139
Hercules56
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,997
Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
It seems you define "homophobe" as anyone who does not think that homosexuality is a good thing, never mind if they don't attack gays as people, never mind if they don't persecute gays, never mind if they treat gays with the same respect they treat others. Nope, sorry. If you refuse to say that you think homosexuality is a good thing, you are automatically a "homophobe." That is not what the word "homophobe" means by any rational definition.

Someone else said that if a church teaches that homosexuality is a sin, it is guilty of homophobia. This is another misuse of the word. So if a church teaches that serial adultery/swinging is a sin, does that make the church adulterophobic? Does it mean the church "hates" people who commit serial adultery/swing? No, of course not. But that's the extreme illogic that you and others here are peddling, while you ignore the meaning of the terms "phobic" and "phobia."

Ever heard of the phrase "love the sinner, hate the sin"? I had a son who lived the gay lifestyle for several years. I was disappointed with him and believed he was making mistake, but my wife and I never stopped loving him and never stopped helping him with college, rent, etc. By the way, after several years, he decided that homosexuality was not for him and abandoned it.
So in order to get your approval he is lying to you and others about being able to turn of his homosexual feelings and be straight?

That's terrible. I feel really bad for him.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 02:57 PM   #140
mikegriffith1
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 491
It's hard to have a rational discussion on this issue when so many liberals start with the assumption that anyone who disagrees with them is a bigot and a homophobe, and with the assumption that the only alternative to their "progressive" position is bigotry and homophobia.

No, I do not buy the myth that gays are born that way. If gays are born that way, how do you explain the tens of thousands of ex-gays walking among us? Ever heard of the group Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays (PFOX)? Gay rights groups hate PFOX because the group is living proof that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice, not a genetic mandate. The PFOX website addresses this issue:

Quote:
Aren’t people born gay?

Many ex-gays will tell you that at one point in their life they thought they were “born gay.” The reality is that no scientific evidence has established a genetic cause for homosexuality or found a “gay gene.” There is no DNA or medical test to determine if a person is homosexual. Sexual orientation is a matter of self-affirmation and public declaration. “Gay” is a self-chosen identity. According to the American Psychiatric Association, there are no replicated scientific studies to support that people can be born “gay” or that homosexuality is innate.

According to the American Psychological Association, “[a]lthough much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors.” [2008] (https://www.pfox.org/frequentlyaskedquestions)
If you read the supposed "scientific" evidence that gays are born gay (and I've read a fair amount of it), you quickly realize that this "evidence" is nothing but inference and speculation. There is not one shred of hard genetic evidence that anyone is born gay.
__________________
Mike Griffith
Home Page
mikegriffith1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 03:01 PM   #141
JoeMorgue
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 42,380
I don't give a **** if people are born gay or have to take a 3 month correspondence course and get gay certified.

They aren't a problem, people like you and people who pretend to clutch their pearls when people like you are called hateful are a problem.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 03:01 PM   #142
pzkpfw
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 152
Meh. Long ago I decided that where I stand on "nature versus nurture" is ... I don't care - because it's none of my business and does not affect me anyway.

I do care that some people are gay (or any number of ways different to me) and they have the right to just be who they are.

Nobody has the right to oppress, harass them, or discriminate. And that's what this thread is really about.
pzkpfw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 03:14 PM   #143
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 33,439
Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
If you read the supposed "scientific" evidence that gays are born gay (and I've read a fair amount of it), you quickly realize that this "evidence" is nothing but inference and speculation.
Could you be more specific or maybe provide an example?


Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
There is not one shred of hard genetic evidence that anyone is born gay.
There are more ways to be born a certain way aside from it being in one's genetic code. I hope you are basing your argument on this incorrect assumption.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 03:25 PM   #144
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded and embattled, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 5,184
Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
It's hard to have a rational discussion on this issue when so many liberals start with the assumption that anyone who disagrees with them is a bigot and a homophobe, and with the assumption that the only alternative to their "progressive" position is bigotry and homophobia.

No, I do not buy the myth that gays are born that way. If gays are born that way, how do you explain the tens of thousands of ex-gays walking among us? Ever heard of the group Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays (PFOX)? Gay rights groups hate PFOX because the group is living proof that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice, not a genetic mandate. The PFOX website addresses this issue:



If you read the supposed "scientific" evidence that gays are born gay (and I've read a fair amount of it), you quickly realize that this "evidence" is nothing but inference and speculation. There is not one shred of hard genetic evidence that anyone is born gay.
Interesting how we've gone from "sin" to "science!" but, ok- is there any scientific evidence for a heterosexual gene? Anything that points to a conclusion that everyone is "born straight" as a genetic default, and all others are deviants by choice?

And I have to echo JoeMorgue here- even if it were purely a matter of choice, so what? That it's not yours is neither here nor there- religion is a non-genetic choice too, is it not? Does that make religion, or any particular one, an aberration?
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 04:11 PM   #145
Pacal
Graduate Poster
 
Pacal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,404
Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post

No, I do not buy the myth that gays are born that way. If gays are born that way, how do you explain the tens of thousands of ex-gays walking among us? Ever heard of the group Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays (PFOX)? Gay rights groups hate PFOX because the group is living proof that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice, not a genetic mandate.
Absolutely hilarious. So why don't you choose to be attracted to guys today? When I was 12 and I started to go through puberty I noticed I was turned on by guys and not gals. I didn't act on it until I was 24 years old but for all that time I was very attracted to guys and not gals.

I did have sex with a few women but it took quite a lot of work and I had to fantasize about guys to make it work. The idea that I could just choose to be turned on by guys or gals is inane. Your attracted to what your attracted too.

As for the tens of thousands of ex-gays and PFOX. I guess you don't know about the infighting, the self destruction of those organizations, the vast numbers who leave such organizations after they utterly fail to "cure" them. So how do you explain the vast numbers who despite their best efforts fail such attempts at conversion? Or how about those organizations that openly state that the "best" most can hopeful is a chaste life still "tormented" by homosexual thoughts and desires. Or how about those within such organizations who take "advantage" of their patients. And I will mention that some of these ex-gay organizations have disbanded complete with appologizing.

Has icing on the cake what about a certain ex-gay group founded by two men who after many years fell in love and left the organization.

Last edited by Pacal; 24th January 2023 at 04:14 PM.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 04:13 PM   #146
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 57,259
Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
How convenient...

Just a little too convientet....
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 04:15 PM   #147
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 57,259
Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
It's hard to have a rational discussion on this issue when so many liberals start with the assumption that anyone who disagrees with them is a bigot and a homophobe, and with the assumption that the only alternative to their "progressive" position is bigotry and homophobia.

No, I do not buy the myth that gays are born that way. If gays are born that way, how do you explain the tens of thousands of ex-gays walking among us? Ever heard of the group Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays (PFOX)? Gay rights groups hate PFOX because the group is living proof that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice, not a genetic mandate. The PFOX website addresses this issue:



If you read the supposed "scientific" evidence that gays are born gay (and I've read a fair amount of it), you quickly realize that this "evidence" is nothing but inference and speculation. There is not one shred of hard genetic evidence that anyone is born gay.
I have a feeling if we did produce scientific evidence, you would just reject it because if did not fit with your religious beleifs anyway.
Something tells me you probably don't buy into evolution, either because ti clashes with your book of Fairy Tales.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 04:18 PM   #148
I Am The Scum
Illuminator
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,971
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Note that word "despite"; it clearly implies that scratching Provorov would have been appropriate and expected.
No it doesn't
__________________
Please temper your expectations if you are going to argue with a nazi sympathizer
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 04:20 PM   #149
I Am The Scum
Illuminator
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,971
Hey man these leftists sure do mad at nothing!

*Makes up a straw-leftists to get mad at*
__________________
Please temper your expectations if you are going to argue with a nazi sympathizer
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 04:27 PM   #150
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Else
Posts: 5,635
Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
It's hard to have a rational discussion on this issue when so many liberals start with the assumption that anyone who disagrees with them is a bigot and a homophobe, and with the assumption that the only alternative to their "progressive" position is bigotry and homophobia.
By your own words, you are a homophobe.

Quote:
No, I do not buy the myth that gays are born that way. If gays are born that way, how do you explain the tens of thousands of ex-gays walking among us? Ever heard of the group Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays (PFOX)? Gay rights groups hate PFOX because the group is living proof that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice, not a genetic mandate. The PFOX website addresses this issue:
Prove it. BE gay. CHOOSE to be gay. Have sex with another man and enjoy it.
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 04:31 PM   #151
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Слава Україні
Posts: 11,388
Conversion "therapy" is a crock, and virtually all of PFOX aren't even so called ex gays. They're a bunch of self admitted heterosexuals.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor, they call me a Saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist. - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 05:06 PM   #152
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 28,669
Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
It's hard to have a rational discussion on this issue when so many liberals start with the assumption that anyone who disagrees with them is a bigot and a homophobe, and with the assumption that the only alternative to their "progressive" position is bigotry and homophobia.

No, I do not buy the myth that gays are born that way. If gays are born that way, how do you explain the tens of thousands of ex-gays walking among us? Ever heard of the group Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays (PFOX)? Gay rights groups hate PFOX because the group is living proof that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice, not a genetic mandate. The PFOX website addresses this issue:
Quote:
Quote:
Aren’t people born gay?

Many ex-gays will tell you that at one point in their life they thought they were “born gay.” The reality is that no scientific evidence has established a genetic cause for homosexuality or found a “gay gene.” There is no DNA or medical test to determine if a person is homosexual. Sexual orientation is a matter of self-affirmation and public declaration. “Gay” is a self-chosen identity. According to the American Psychiatric Association, there are no replicated scientific studies to support that people can be born “gay” or that homosexuality is innate.

According to the American Psychological Association, “[a]lthough much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors.” [2008]
(https://www.pfox.org/frequentlyaskedquestions)

If you read the supposed "scientific" evidence that gays are born gay (and I've read a fair amount of it), you quickly realize that this "evidence" is nothing but inference and speculation. There is not one shred of hard genetic evidence that anyone is born gay.
Critical thinking fail big time. You don't really expect your "it's a choice" website to provide anything that doesn't support its agenda, do you?

You and your website 'forgot' the remaining part of your partial quote:

Quote:
“[a]lthough much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation.

Let's look at this statement in your quote:

"The reality is that no scientific evidence has established a genetic cause for homosexuality or found a “gay gene.” There is no DNA or medical test to determine if a person is homosexual."

Genes aren't the only determining factor in how a fetus develops during gestation. We may not know the cause/s of homosexuality YET, but there is always a cause or causes.
Someone choosing to be bullied, beaten, harassed, mocked, and even disowned by family and abandoned by friends is not something people choose.

So tell me, Mike: when did you choose to be straight? Were you sitting in class at around 10 or so and thought to yourself, "Hmmm....am I going to have a crush on Steve or Eve? Which to choose? Hmmmmm...Ok, Eve it will be!"
You cannot be talked into being attracted to someone or not. You either feel it or you don't.

Once a person admits that homosexuality is not a choice, they have to confront their own prejudices, including religious beliefs. They have to admit they've been wrong. And so many people are just incapable of doing that.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 06:09 PM   #153
I Am The Scum
Illuminator
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,971
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
So tell me, Mike: when did you choose to be straight?
This question is just going to bounce off of homophobes because they don't see straight and gay as two different sexual preferences. Rather, to them, being straight is the norm (default) and being gay is the unnatural deviation. A "problem" that demands a "correction" (hence conversion therapy).

It's the same way that racists don't view white as another race. Rather, it is the absence of race, thus white "purity" can only be maintained by keeping it from racial "pollution."
__________________
Please temper your expectations if you are going to argue with a nazi sympathizer
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 07:24 PM   #154
JoeMorgue
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 42,380
What is with this board? "Choose to be gay." "NAMBLA is a gay rights organization."

Way to have your thumb on the pulse of homophobia from 20 years ago. You're not just bigots you're retro. Quick someone go "AIDS is a punishment from God" since you're just playing the oldies.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 24th January 2023 at 07:27 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 07:26 PM   #155
Robin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,198
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Here:



Somebody (a reporter of course) asked this question, implying that they thought it was a logical consequence of his actions. Not leaving it at that, they asked the coach:



Note that word "despite"; it clearly implies that scratching Provorov would have been appropriate and expected.

I don't understand why you folks are trying to deny that the sportswriters thought he should have been punished in some way. Whatevs, there's a saying about horses and water at this point.
You are drawing a very long bow here indeed. A journo asking if he was worried about consequences clearly is not implying that he deserves consequences or that it is a logical consequence of his actions. For example a Christian I know recently came out as gay. I said "Are you worried your church will throw you out?" I was clearly not implying that being ostracized from his church was a logical consequence of coming out as gay or that he deserved such a thing. In case you were wondering he was thrown out of his church.
__________________
We all hate poverty, war, and injustice
Unlike the rest of you squares.

Tom Lehrer - Folk Song Army
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 07:29 PM   #156
Robin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,198
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
What is with this board? "Choose to be gay." "NAMBLA is a gay rights organization."

Way to have your thumb on the pulse of homophobia from 20 years ago. You're not just bigots you're retro. Quick someone go "AIDS is a punishment from God" since you're just playing the oldies.
Yep, I've often thought that it was a little like arguing with ,1972.
__________________
We all hate poverty, war, and injustice
Unlike the rest of you squares.

Tom Lehrer - Folk Song Army
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 07:40 PM   #157
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 12,775
Benching Provorov would have been appropriate and expected because he skipped the warmup. Not because of why he skipped the warmup. Just the fact he skipped it. Any jocks in the house?
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 07:47 PM   #158
Robin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,198
Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
It's hard to have a rational discussion on this issue when so many liberals start with the assumption that anyone who disagrees with them is a bigot and a homophobe
No, we are simply making the assumption that people who repeatedly say homophobic things are homophobic.

Like saying that being attracted to your own sex is a lifestyle choice.

If you thought about this for even a second you would realise that this is nonsense. To begin with being attracted to your own sex is very obviously not a "lifestyle". You can be same sex attracted sex and live any way you choose.

As for it being a choice, did you one day day decide to be attracted to the opposite sex? Did you one day ponder whether to find men attractive or to find women attractive?

Do you think that I did? Do you think that one day I decided to become the thing that most hated in my locale, hated by my parents, by the church, by my friends subject to a hefty prison sentence? Something I believed at the time would damn me to hell?

Do you seriously, hand on heart, think that I decided "hey that's for me, I'm going to start finding men attractive"?

It bewilders me that anyone could even entertain such an obviously nonsensical idea.
__________________
We all hate poverty, war, and injustice
Unlike the rest of you squares.

Tom Lehrer - Folk Song Army
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 08:35 PM   #159
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 33,439
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Could you be more specific or maybe provide an example?


There are more ways to be born a certain way aside from it being in one's genetic code. I hope you are basing your argument on this incorrect assumption.
I withdraw my questions. I read mike’s home page about evolution and intelligent design. He simply doesn’t understand science well enough to discuss the topic.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 09:02 PM   #160
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 10,755
Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
It's hard to have a rational discussion on this issue when so many liberals start with the assumption that anyone who disagrees with them is a bigot and a homophobe, and with the assumption that the only alternative to their "progressive" position is bigotry and homophobia.
No, not everyone who disagrees with this liberal (actually a moderate, but NVM) is a duck. But when they waddle, molt, fly in a V formation, and say “You’re dethpicable,” their quacks to the contrary aren’t exactly convincing.

As to the rest of your post, I can only say, sincerely, I hope your son is well, has made peace with the sadness, and that it’s not his fault.
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 24th January 2023 at 09:03 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:46 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.