ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th April 2019, 07:42 AM   #1
wasapi
Philosopher

Hope. The latest on ketamine.

Ketamine seems to be the new, evolving treatment for depression.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...392-2/fulltext

About 2 years ago, my doctor gave me a ketamine infusion for chronic pain and depression. I only had one because of the price. But what I noticed right away a great relief of depression.

The treatment itself is almost hallucinatory, with a rush of positivity and peace, a floating sensation, and I couldn't stop smiling.

In the past 2 years since my treatment, I am hearing more and more about ketamine; approval from FDA, highly recommended by many in the medical field, used for intense, chronic pain. My sister recently started using a ketamine nasal spray for her unbearable pain. She says the drug has prevented her from being bedridden or in the hospital, and has her no longer thinking about suicide.

The issue, for me, is the expense.

I would be interested on opinions. Thanks.

I'm interested
Old 27th April 2019, 07:51 AM   #2
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's great. I think the "war on drugs" has resulted in nonsense restrictions on pharmaceuticals.

They're also doing MDMA trials for all sorts of things which look very promising.
For example: http://www.prati.org.il/wp-content/u...2019/01/23.pdf
Old 27th April 2019, 08:17 AM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Don't travel to the UK with Ketamine.
Old 27th April 2019, 09:00 AM   #4
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
The treatment itself is almost hallucinatory, with a rush of positivity and peace, a floating sensation, and I couldn't stop smiling.
The contraindications and side effects seem to be considerable.
Also, judged by your description, you might consider lowering the dose, which might also make it cheaper. You could probably do without the near-hallucinations, the rush (!) and the floating sensation, and the inability to stop smiling doesn't really sound great. You'd probably be laid off if you worked in a funeral parlor!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2019, 12:22 PM   #5
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Couple of years ago I ended up in the ER with a dislocated jaw. Conventional methods didn’t work so they gave me Ketamine to put me out while they got more violent with my jaw to relocate it.

I went down the K-hole.

I will not do that again.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2019, 12:42 PM   #6
wasapi
Philosopher

Smile

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Also, judged by your description, you might consider lowering the dose, which might also make it cheaper. You could probably do without the near-hallucinations, the rush (!) and the floating sensation, and the inability to stop smiling doesn't really sound great. You'd probably be laid off if you worked in a funeral parlor!
What, you have something against smiling?
Old 27th April 2019, 12:57 PM   #7
dann
Philosopher

Yes, when somebody can't stop, I do.
I always suspect that they're trying to persuade me to join a cult!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2019, 01:16 PM   #8
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Then there is it's effects on your bladder to consider.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 02:26 PM   #9
Manger Douse
Thinker

(Let's all go to a ) Ketamine Party:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otjY8fW0p0E

(what am I doing wrong with the youtube embeds? - using yt - /yt and get the correct window but a streaming error?)

Last edited by Manger Douse; 28th April 2019 at 02:28 PM.
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 03:13 PM   #10
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

it should be yt in [] brackets then just the bit of the address after the = sign then /yt in [] brackets to close it off
so yours would be the otjY8fW0p0E part of the address like this

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:49 PM   #11
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

What Captain_Swoop said.

Like this:

Code:
[yt]otjY8fW0p0E[/yt]
Old 7th May 2019, 08:42 PM   #12
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
In the past 2 years since my treatment, I am hearing more and more about ketamine; approval from FDA,
Esketamine was approved, but it's not the same thing.

Quote:
highly recommended by many in the medical field, used for intense, chronic pain.
Sounds rather vague, esp "in the medical field."

I'm not trying to knock it, just advising caution.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 08:53 PM   #13
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

There are always trade-offs in using medications. The prevailing paradigm is that the use of a certain drug is balanced against the probable and/or possible negative side effects.

The use of Ketamine under certain specific conditions by paramedic staff in my area (BC, Canada) has been common for a number of years. There is a move to get it used in more situations involving severe pain in emergency transport.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5206640/ketamine-paramedics/

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 7th May 2019 at 09:02 PM. Reason: edit grammar and sentence structure
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 09:17 PM   #14
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Originally Posted by dann View Post
The first high is always the best one, I hear.

I've never been addicted to opioids myself (never tried them), but nicotine, alcohol and pot. I'm guessing that I would be instantly addicted by "a rush of positivity and peace". Who wouldn't?
Old 14th May 2019, 05:22 PM   #15
cosmicaug
Muse

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
Esketamine was approved, but it's not the same thing.
It's essentially the same thing. The main difference is that by using only one of the ketamine enantiomers they can charge about a couple of orders of magnitude more for the pharmaceutical (I forget the approximate factor but I calculated it once and it's huge).

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology