ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags aircraft

Old 14th May 2019, 09:45 AM   #121
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Stereotypes aside, there doesn't seem to be any good information about how it happened. Some say it was to mislead the Soviets, or fit into some negotiation with them. Others say it was to attract the top pilots. Still others suggest it was an accident - just another meaningless anomaly in the application of the tri-service numbering system.
The only thing I've read is that they wanted the best pilots and USAF top guns got all lairy at being downgraded to only flying an 'A' or 'B', because the best all flew 'F's.

Probably not true, but a nice little tale.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 10:38 AM   #122
Pope130
Master Poster

Caproni Ca.60

100 passenger flying boat. It made one and a half successful flights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caproni-ca60-transaereo-01.jpg (118.0 KB, 7 views)
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 10:43 AM   #123
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
The Edgley Optica was a weird one. It came to prominence for two reasons: being flown by Mark Hamill in the 1989 movie Slipstream, and for a crash which killed the police pilot and his passenger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgley_Optica
um...

Quote:
A total of 22 Opticas have been manufactured, and construction of a 23rd begun but not completed. Ten aircraft were destroyed in an arson attack at the factory.[6]
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 10:47 AM   #124
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Victor had a constant critical Mach number across the entire wing and consequently a high cruise speed, the nose and tail, were also designed to the 'area rule' for the same critical mach number so the shape of the Victor had a constant critical mach number all over.
A similar looking aircraft was the Buckaneer, it had similar crescent wings for the same reason.
I like the Buccaneer. I remember being in the Cairngorms and one flew low over me and it was surprisingly *quiet*.

The TSR-2 and Lightning both look as though Dan Dare should have piloted them.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 10:47 AM   #125
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Holy moly!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 11:08 AM   #126
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I like the Buccaneer. I remember being in the Cairngorms and one flew low over me and it was surprisingly *quiet*.

Buckaneer was desigtned to be flown between 50 and 100 ft off the sea at 500 knots.
It used what is known as 'Boundry Layer Control' this bled high pressure air from the engines, which was blown through full-span slits along the wing's trailing and leading edges giving almost 50% more lift. This allowed it to have low aspect, short wings suited for high speed cruising but gave a low enough stall speed to allow carrier landings.

It had a 'rotating' weapons bay that allowed it's underside to remain 'clean'
It was designed to carry a 'Red Beard' free-fall nuclear bomb, as well as conventional munitions including anti ship missiles.
It's method of attack with the nuclear weapon was to come in low then pull up as it released 'tossing' the bomb in an arcing trajectory that would allow the aircraft to escape before detonation.

They were operated by both the RN and the RAF taking part in the first Gulf War.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 11:41 AM   #127
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
A ship-helo team can operate in more conditions than a seaplane. And while the helo's own endurance is limited, the destroyer it's flying from can stay on station for weeks at a time - in any weather. A seaplane that has to fly thousands of miles away to land is not going to be much use in hunting the submarine it left behind. When the USN does need that kind of trade-off, they just operate land-based ASW planes like the P-3 and the P-8.
Thanks! That helps.

Do you known the weather limits for a helicopter to launch and land on a destroyer? Sea state and winds? Although I imagine a destroyer can stay on station through a wide range of weather conditions (at the cost of quite a ride for the crew) I wonder about the limits of the helo - part of the team. I've seen video of helicopters attempting to land in chop and high winds and it would appear to be very dangerous at some point. Is that the point that the land-based ASWs are deployed (when their range and endurance are sufficient)?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 11:48 AM   #128
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Reminds me of a friend who witnessed an early V-22 test where the aircraft crashed w/o injury to the pilot, etc. He told me it was a success...why? "It didn't land on me"

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 11:49 AM   #129
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Thanks! That helps.

Do you known the weather limits for a helicopter to launch and land on a destroyer? Sea state and winds? Although I imagine a destroyer can stay on station through a wide range of weather conditions (at the cost of quite a ride for the crew) I wonder about the limits of the helo - part of the team. I've seen video of helicopters attempting to land in chop and high winds and it would appear to be very dangerous at some point. Is that the point that the land-based ASWs are deployed (when their range and endurance are sufficient)?
Or the destroyer continues the mission until the weather clears enough to send out the helo again.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 11:51 AM   #130
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
The Avro Arrow

Just a shade under MACH 2 in level flight and one of the first fly by wire systems before it was cancelled in 1958. Probably one of the first modern looking planes, most of it's supersonic contemporaries were basically missiles with stubby wings.

https://vmcdn.ca/f/files/sudbury/ima...ized.jpg;w=630

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ow_rollout.jpg
I'm Canadian. We've heard of the Arrow and we still hate everyone over this issue.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 12:02 PM   #131
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Thanks! That helps.

Here you go deck landings in rough sea.

They have a 'harpoon' on the bottom of the helo that engages with a grid on the deck to hold them down after landing

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Or. like the Canadians they use a 'Haul Down' system

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 12:24 PM   #132
3point14
Pi

They have a 'harpoon' on the bottom of the helo that engages with a grid on the deck to hold them down after landing

I AGREE

I AGREE

Thanks for those. There can't be many more difficult landings anywere in the sphere of aviation than those. They look, quite frankly, terrifying.

It took me a while, on the second one, to realise it was the ship that was rolling so heavily. I only realised it when I worked out to watch the horizon.

Old 14th May 2019, 12:34 PM   #133
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

remember they are peace time operations. In a war with a sub to kill they would have to fly.
Old 14th May 2019, 12:45 PM   #134
jonesdave116
Illuminator

The English Electric Lightning was one hell of a plane. Brian Cox went up in one in one of his series. I think a few remained in flying condition in South Africa until recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwgfU228clE

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 01:48 PM   #135
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by jonesdave116 View Post
The English Electric Lightning was one hell of a plane. Brian Cox went up in one in one of his series. I think a few remained in flying condition in South Africa until recently.

Allegedly, they were able to intercept U2s

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...he_Lightn.html

Although the only reference I have found to this is in various forums.
Old 15th May 2019, 01:56 AM   #136
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

It's not often that I cannot immediately recognise a plane that flies around here, there isn't much variety. Yesterday I was at the cricket in Bristol and on the horizon I saw a medium/large sized four turboprop plane with a T-tail. Unfortunately by the time I got my binoculars, it had disappeared over the horizon....
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 02:24 AM   #137
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I AGREE

I AGREE
On both of those videos I couldn't see where they store the barrows which the pilots put their cojones in to allow then to walk inside.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 02:31 AM   #138
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

A beautiful plane and after the Vulcan and Avro Lancaster my third favourite.

Could it intercept a U-2? <Taps side of nose>
Quote:
In September 1962, Fighter Command organised interception trials on Lockheed U-2As at heights of around 60,000–65,000 ft (18,000–20,000 m), which were temporarily based at RAF Upper Heyford to monitor Soviet nuclear tests. Climb techniques and flight profiles were developed to put the Lightning into a suitable attack position. To avoid risking the U-2, the Lightning was not permitted any closer than 5,000 ft (1,500 m) and could not fly in front of the U-2. For the intercepts, four Lightning F1As conducted 18 solo sorties. The sorties proved that, under GCI, successful intercepts could be made at up to 65,000 ft (20,000 m). Due to sensitivity, details of these flights were deliberately avoided in the pilot log books.
From here
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 02:32 AM   #139
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It's not often that I cannot immediately recognise a plane that flies around here, there isn't much variety. Yesterday I was at the cricket in Bristol and on the horizon I saw a medium/large sized four turboprop plane with a T-tail. Unfortunately by the time I got my binoculars, it had disappeared over the horizon....
You need to get the Flightradar24 app on your phone.
Old 15th May 2019, 05:10 AM   #140
MetalPig
Illuminator

That's one more than I would have expected
Old 15th May 2019, 05:15 AM   #141
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I have it, I forgot about it
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 05:47 AM   #142
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Sometimes I check Flightradar24 after I hear (but don't see) something flying over that sounds interesting or unusual, but there's nothing showing nearby. Not civilian, I guess.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 05:57 AM   #143
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I watched two contrails fly over that weren't showing on the app, they were obviously 'in formation'. They met a third larger trail that had been circling and was showing up as an RAF tanker.
Old 15th May 2019, 07:49 AM   #144
jonesdave116
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
A beautiful plane and after the Vulcan and Avro Lancaster my third favourite.
Wow! Those are my two favourites! Made a model of a Lanc when I was a kid. Would occasionally see a Vulcan at Manchester Airport (Ringway, as it was then). I think I recall seeing one at the Woodford air show.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin

Last edited by jonesdave116; 15th May 2019 at 07:53 AM.
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 08:07 AM   #145
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'm Canadian. We've heard of the Arrow and we still hate everyone over this issue.
Yep.

When I was back in Canada a few weeks ago I went to an museum that has a lot of old military aircraft. They had an Arrow display. Obviously they didn't have an Arrow (I think they've all been destroyed?) but they did have an engine from one. A guy who worked there came over and started telling us about it, and he seemed pretty bitter about the whole affair.

The best part was when he thought that Canada should basically take credit for the Apollo program.

ETA The place (The Canadian Wartime Heritage Museum in Hamilton) is pretty cool. They regularly fly a lot of their aircraft, including a Lancaster that flew missions over Germany in WWII, and it's possible to book a seat on those flights. They also had a plane that dropped paratroopers on D-Day, and again they regularly fly it and take passengers.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Roboramma; 15th May 2019 at 08:24 AM.
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 10:52 AM   #146
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
DHC-7? If it was red, it could be the one operated by the British Antarctic Survey.
Old 15th May 2019, 11:46 AM   #147
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Dash-7s are quite common, I think. Or they were.

Airbus A400-M?
Old 15th May 2019, 12:47 PM   #148
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

The DO-31 was a cracker. Two Pegasus engines with a further 8 vertical mounter engines in the wingtip modules. Very clever beastie in a day of analogue flight control systems. I've seen the one at Friedrichshafen. There's another in Munich I believe.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 02:29 PM   #149
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
ETA The place (The Canadian Wartime Heritage Museum in Hamilton) is pretty cool. They regularly fly a lot of their aircraft, including a Lancaster that flew missions over Germany in WWII, and it's possible to book a seat on those flights. They also had a plane that dropped paratroopers on D-Day, and again they regularly fly it and take passengers.
Here: www.warplane.com

The Lancaster is only one of two still flying; the other's in the UK and doesn't take passengers. The other might be their C-47. They've also got a flying B-25 and a bunch of Harvards (the Canadian equivalent of the Texan).

Used to be my favourite place for air shows until they discontinued them (too low profit, a single rainy day on the two-day air show weekend could apparently put them in the red). Second best is the Brantford show in August (http://www.communitycharityairshow.com/) but the parking is horrible - when we went in 2017 it took two hours to get out of the parking lot after the show.
Old 15th May 2019, 02:31 PM   #150
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Airbus A400-M?
Oh, hadn't thought of that. Probably more likely.
Old 15th May 2019, 04:34 PM   #151
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

The wings look like there's a person holding out a cape on his arms.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 11:08 PM   #152
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Airbus A400-M?
Makes sense, we were in Bristol after all and maybe they were doing a factory flypast.
Old 16th May 2019, 04:07 PM   #153
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

De Havilland Venom

Developed from the Vampire.

here we go with the navalised version the 'Sea venom' in Australian service.

I AGREE
Old 16th May 2019, 07:40 PM   #154
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

A specific "airplane", the Zeppelin LZ 104. Specially adapted for its one-way mission, in 1917 it flew the longest unassisted military mission in history - 4,200 miles. Took only 95 hours non-stop.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 16th May 2019 at 07:48 PM.
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 05:55 AM   #155
wobs
Graduate Poster

A prototype 36 motor, 5 seat air taxi:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48297440
Old 17th May 2019, 07:08 AM   #156
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
At least they didn't call the ducted fans, "jets"
Old 17th May 2019, 07:20 AM   #157
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

At least they didn't call the ducted fans, "jets"
And I didn't notice the word "drone", which I've come to despise, in the article.
One hour flight on a charge. Then what? Rapid battery pack swaps, I'd hope.
Old 17th May 2019, 07:45 AM   #158
3point14
Pi

The pictures in that article don't really show the unusual design particularly well. It's an odd looking beast (Very KSP):

https://cdn.drivemag.net/media/defau...ult-large.jpeg

http://tech.eu/wp-content/uploads/20...lium-Jet-2.jpg

This: http://www.xtiaircraft.com/trifan-600/, which I have mentioned before around here, seems to be aimed at the same market and, to my eyes, is much better looking.

Last edited by 3point14; 17th May 2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 17th May 2019, 08:14 AM   #159
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'll call it a plane when I actually see it fly. Those arrays of PC case fans seem terribly inefficient.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology