ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags baryon , dark matter , galaxies , space , universe

Old 13th October 2017, 06:08 PM   #1
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Half the universe’s missing matter finally found

FYI: Lots of space stuff detected in very clever ways.
(they did pretty much know it was there...just could not prove it!)

From an article in NewScientist:

Quote:
The missing links between galaxies have finally been found. This is the first detection of the roughly half of the normal matter in our universe – protons, neutrons and electrons – unaccounted for by previous observations of stars, galaxies and other bright objects in space.
Two separate teams found the missing matter – made of particles called baryons rather than dark matter – linking galaxies together through filaments of hot, diffuse gas.

“The missing baryon problem is solved,” says Hideki Tanimura at the Institute of Space Astrophysics in Orsay, France, leader of one of the groups. The other team was led by Anna de Graaff at the University of Edinburgh, UK.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 13th October 2017 at 06:09 PM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 06:31 PM   #2
Belz...
Fiend God

So possibly no dark matter, then?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 06:41 PM   #3
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
This is half of the normal everyday ordinary matter. Dark matter isn't part of that.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 07:30 PM   #4
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Down the back of sofas?
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 08:05 PM   #5
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Down the back of sofas?
Don't be silly. I said 'space stuff' not 'space fluff'. Space fluff is obviously well-known to hide out around the house and you may run into some looking for the remote.
Old 24th October 2017, 10:10 AM   #6
CORed
Philosopher

Yeah, I borrowed it. I didn't realize anybody had noticed it was missing before I returned it.
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 10:13 AM   #7
Belz...
Fiend God

That's 13% interest, by the way.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 11:02 AM   #8
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Its a little known fact that the extra matter in the universe is composed entirely of socks that have disappeared from the wash.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 01:01 PM   #9
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Its a little known fact that the extra matter in the universe is composed entirely of socks that have disappeared from the wash.
That's a juvenile and amateurish theory, at best.

Any determined scholar knows it also includes various screws, washers, nuts, and small machine and model parts that fall on carpeting, as well.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 01:00 AM   #10
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

Any determined scholar knows it also includes various screws, washers, nuts, and small machine and model parts that fall on carpeting, as well.
Typical pseudoscientific thinking. Why do you persist in ignoring the mountains of evidence supporting the Lost Biro Hypothesis?

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 01:08 AM   #11
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Typical pseudoscientific thinking. Why do you persist in ignoring the mountains of evidence supporting the Lost Biro Hypothesis?

Dave
That was abandoned when they found them all in MrsB's handbag.
Old 25th October 2017, 08:07 AM   #12
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

I think that we also need to consider bits of food, spilled drinks and items 'I will put it here so I don't forget'
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 11:08 AM   #13
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
I think that we also need to consider bits of food, spilled drinks and items 'I will put it here so I don't forget'
Ah, yes. The infamous "I'll put it in a safe place..." phenomena.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 10:52 AM   #14
CORed
Philosopher

Hard floors can be just as bad as carpeting. The damn things will bounce and roll until they fall into the nearest micro black hole.
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 01:08 PM   #15
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Hard floors can be just as bad as carpeting. The damn things will bounce and roll until they fall into the nearest micro black hole.
And none of those things are even close to the infinite gravity pull of the nasty stinky smelly ... downright evil.... bilge.

And of course you do not have the luxury of not finding said object. It must be found. Otherwise it creates a simultaneous hole in the hull and clog in the pump that will kill you and all aboard. So no options but to find it....period.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 07:59 AM   #16
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
And none of those things are even close to the infinite gravity pull of the nasty stinky smelly ... downright evil.... bilge.

And of course you do not have the luxury of not finding said object. It must be found. Otherwise it creates a simultaneous hole in the hull and clog in the pump that will kill you and all aboard. So no options but to find it....period.
I like that!

maybe dark energy is the bilge of the universe
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 10:11 AM   #17
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Don't tell me, let me guess, they found it all at a "lab" in New Jersey?
Old 27th October 2017, 10:13 PM   #18
This is The End

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post

This is half of the normal everyday ordinary matter. Dark matter isn't part of that.

Then why do they phrase it like this:

Quote:
Two separate teams found the missing matter – made of particles called baryons rather than dark matter
Old 28th October 2017, 12:36 PM   #19
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Don't be silly. I said 'space stuff' not 'space fluff'. Space fluff is obviously well-known to hide out around the house and you may run into some looking for the remote.
Or the cat!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2017, 11:27 PM   #20
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
Then why do they phrase it like this:
BaryonWP is ordinary matter, not dark matter.

Quote:
Nearly all matter that may be encountered or experienced in everyday life is baryonic matter, which includes atoms of any sort, and provides those with the property of mass

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology