ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2024 elections , political speculation , presidential candidates , primary elections , Republican primaries

Old 13th November 2020, 01:59 PM   #1
Donal
Illuminator

2024 Republican Primary

Since election campaigns start earlier every cycle, why not speculate on who will throw their hat into the ring for the Republicans in 2024. Here's my list. some are serious, some are half-joking.

Donald Trump - Socialite turned game show host who lost the 2020 election1
Tom Cotton - Senator from Arkansas. Seems to be more focused on trolling the libs than actually governing. One top two contestants to be 2024's Scott Walker.
Jeff Flake - former Senator from Arizona. Graduate of the Susan Collins School of Furrowing Brows.
Larry Hogan - Governor of Maryland. acted responsibly in the face of COVID-19 and now looking to leverage that into being humiliated on the national stage.
Ben Sasse - Senator from Nebraska. Other top contender to be 2024's Scott Walker.
Nikki Hayler - former Governor of South Carolina and ambassador to the UN. Mortgaged promising political future to suck up to a game show host.
Ted Cruz - Senator from Texas. Also voted Most Punchable Face in Politics. Rumored to be the Zodiac Killer.
Marco Rubio - Senator from Florida with no dignity.
Rand Paul - Senator from Kentucky who cosplays as a doctor and earned a beating from his neighbor.
Tim Scott - Senator from South Carolina who is shocked every time people point out the overt racism of the Trumplicans
Some member of the Bush family - because we all need a good laugh
One of the Trump kids - assuming daddy doesn't run 1
Tucker Carlson - Host of the FOX News White Power Hour and poster child for Unearned White Boy Confidence.

Anyone I missed?

1 assuming he is not already residing in a different kind of government housing

Last edited by Donal; 13th November 2020 at 02:01 PM.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 02:03 PM   #2
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Josh Hawley.
Kristi Noem.

Maybe Rick Scott.

Last edited by Firestone; 13th November 2020 at 02:05 PM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 03:31 PM   #3
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Banana Republican primaries will be exercise in "Pick your very own Fuhrer".
Old 13th November 2020, 03:37 PM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

By 2024 the RNC's bylaws will specify that only candidates named Trump may entee.
Old 13th November 2020, 04:01 PM   #5
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Josh Hawley.
Kristi Noem.

Maybe Rick Scott.
I thought about Hawley, but he's too new. Granted, a lot can change, but it's going to be too crowded a field for him to stand out. I don't really think his crusade against "censorship" online will go far. There are plenty of other nondescript white boys for the media to fawn over while they say absolutely nothing of consequence.
Old 14th November 2020, 02:05 AM   #6
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Poor Pence, still VP, such a reliable lapdog, and already forgotten.
Old 14th November 2020, 02:19 AM   #7
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Poor Pence, still VP, such a reliable lapdog, and already forgotten.
I won't shed any tears.

If the Trump brand still has value in the GOP in 2024 (and I think it will), then a Trump will be a leading challenger for the nomination. If it isn't President Trump then Donald Trump junior or Ivanka.

If the Trump brand has little or no value then Pence will be tainted by association.

I don't see a set of circumstances where Pence is a leading candidate given that the Trump children are interested in following their father into politics.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 02:26 AM   #8
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Niki Haley

forget about the rest.
Old 14th November 2020, 04:41 AM   #9
angrysoba
Philosophile

How about Dan Crenshaw? Maybe a long shot now, but he seems to be building a bit of an online following: He was a Navy SEAL so people who like tough guys will vote for him; he likes the electoral college because the popular vote would be "too democratic" and he has an eyepatch so that's good for people who want someone who looks the part of the villain.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 05:53 AM   #10
Garrison
Philosopher

This all assumes that Trump doesn't turn on the Republican Party for not doing enough to back his fraud claims in 2020. He's turned on everyone else why not them? I could see him deciding they need him more than he needs them and running as an independent.
Old 14th November 2020, 08:05 AM   #11
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
This all assumes that Trump doesn't turn on the Republican Party for not doing enough to back his fraud claims in 2020. He's turned on everyone else why not them? I could see him deciding they need him more than he needs them and running as an independent.
that is a given.
But I also think that the GOP will take the abuse, just like it has for the last four years, and just wait for Trump to die.
And then organize an annual "piss on his grave" event.
Old 14th November 2020, 10:57 AM   #12
Paul2
Philosopher

Regarding a DJT 2024 candidacy, can anyone cite some law that says that a felon currently enjoying alternative government housing can not run for President of the U.S.?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 11:05 AM   #13
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Regarding a DJT 2024 candidacy, can anyone cite some law that says that a felon currently enjoying alternative government housing can not run for President of the U.S.?
The only way to lose your passive right to vote is through an impeachment that explicitly takes it away.

The prison-to-president pipeline is wide open.
Old 14th November 2020, 11:13 AM   #14
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Niki Haley

forget about the rest.
If Biden croaks before then, she wouldn't even be the first Indan-American woman in the White House!
Old 14th November 2020, 11:16 AM   #15
Paul2
Philosopher

The only way to lose your passive right to vote is through an impeachment that explicitly takes it away.

You mean campaign for and occupy an elected office, right?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 01:09 PM   #16
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Ted Cruz will have to be surgically removed from Trump's colon before he could run in 2024. Unless he runs as Trump's VP. Then it could be quite useful having him so close 24/7.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 01:23 PM   #17
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I won't shed any tears.

If the Trump brand still has value in the GOP in 2024 (and I think it will), then a Trump will be a leading challenger for the nomination. If it isn't President Trump then Donald Trump junior or Ivanka.

If the Trump brand has little or no value then Pence will be tainted by association.

I don't see a set of circumstances where Pence is a leading candidate given that the Trump children are interested in following their father into politics.
I think you're vastly overestimating just how much charisma Donald Trump junior or Ivanka actually have.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 09:35 PM   #18
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I'd like to hold it wide for the converse as well.
Old 14th November 2020, 09:40 PM   #19
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Sarah Palin. Just like Trump, but less malevolent.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 09:47 PM   #20
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Why not Rudy Giuliani? People have been saying he's already done all the most idiotic things he could possibly do, and said the stupidest things it's possible to say, but I have faith that he can top them all in the years (weeks?) of life he has left.
Old 15th November 2020, 12:40 AM   #21
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Quote:
I think you're vastly overestimating just how much charisma Donald Trump junior or Ivanka actually have.
I agree with you that Donny Jr. and Ivanka don't have loads of charisma and would not be as successful as stubby McBonespurs. However, they still would likely beat Pence, because the MAGAchuds probably think the Trump name is more important than whatever Pence brings to the table.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 12:49 AM   #22
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I agree with you that Donny Jr. and Ivanka don't have loads of charisma and would not be as successful as stubby McBonespurs. However, they still would likely beat Pence, because the MAGAchuds probably think the Trump name is more important than whatever Pence brings to the table.
I think Ivanka would have more chance. She comes across as ... errr... Daddy’s favourite, and is at least fairly attractive. Don Jr comes across as a weird try-hard, desperate to win favour with Daddy. Desperation doesn’t look good in a candidate for president.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 08:09 AM   #23
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
Sarah Palin. Just like Trump, but less malevolent.
Dan Quayle: Trump v0.1
Ross Perot: Trump v0.2
Bush 2: Trump v0.3
Sarah Palin: Trump v1.0 (major upgrade)
Herman Cane: Trump v1.1
Donald Trump: Trump v2.0 (major upgrade)
DJTJ/Ivanka?: Trump v2.1

Ignorance elevated to a virtue above all other virtues.

I grow weary of these dimwits. We need smarter right-wing nuts. Like Pat Buchanon.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics