ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jack Burkman , Jacob Wohl

Old 29th October 2020, 05:44 PM   #321
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Burkman, Wohl ordered to send corrective message to victims of US voter-intimidation robocall

Quote:
Two right-wing political operatives at the center of a robocall scam in Detroit and other U.S. cities have been ordered to call their victims back with a corrective message.

Jack Burkman, 54, from Arlington, Virginia and Jacob Wohl, 22, from Los Angeles were ordered by a U.S. district court Wednesday to issue “curative” robocalls to individuals that were previously targeted by an alleged voter-intimidation scheme.

The two men have been accused of orchestrating robocalls to suppress votes in multiple U.S. cities -- specifically those with significant minority populations, like Detroit -- for the November election.
Quote:
On Wednesday, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York ordered Burkman and Wohl to issue a new robocall to correct the misinformation contained in the initial calls made in August. According to officials, the new robocall must be made by 5 p.m. Thursday and must contain the following message:

“At the direction of a United States district court, this call is intended to inform you that a federal court has found that the message you previously received regarding mail-in voting from Project 1599, a political organization founded by Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl, contained false information that has had the effect of intimidating voters, and thus interfering with the upcoming presidential election, in violation of federal voting-rights laws.”
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 10:05 PM   #322
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
They should be made to write that out 1,000 times, in a clear cursive. Then pay a fine. Then go to jail.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 11:59 PM   #323
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
They should be made to write that out 1,000 times, in a clear cursive. Then pay a fine. Then go to jail.
Yes. These guys tried to discourage black people from voting. Play Klan games, get Klan prison time.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 04:24 PM   #324
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Popehat writing that this may be a bad thing. Being ordered by a judge to admit guilt prior to criminal trial may create a loophole that allows them to wriggle out of convictions.

Quote:
In fact, a federal judge ordering Wohl and Burkman to incriminate themselves in “apology” calls while criminal charges are pending is extremely problematical, and illustrates the dilemmas or parallel proceedings...

Telling civil defendants that they have to make statements that amount to confessions to pending criminal charges or face jail for contempt strikes me as quite outrageous.

You don’t need to stomp on rights to get these imbeciles.
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1322176591426801664

Hate to see these goons escape justice because some judge decided to flex from the bench.
Old 30th October 2020, 06:14 PM   #325
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Surely the judge didn't order them to make the corrective calls in order to "get" them, but to try to mitigate some of the damage that they'd already done?
Old 30th October 2020, 06:20 PM   #326
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Surely the judge didn't order them to make the corrective calls in order to "get" them, but to try to mitigate some of the damage that they'd already done?
Intent doesn't really matter. Ordering a call that essentially requires an admission of error is a judge pretty much requiring Wohl to testify against himself for his upcoming criminal trial. It's risky.

In reality, the civil case should have been postponed pending the results of the criminal trial, or ordinary damages, without a stipulation for an "apology", should have been awarded.
Old 30th October 2020, 07:20 PM   #327
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not saying it's not risky. I'm taking issue with Popehat's assertion that this ruling was about "get[ting] these imbeciles".
Old 31st October 2020, 04:46 AM   #328
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I'm not saying it's not risky. I'm taking issue with Popehat's assertion that this ruling was about "get[ting] these imbeciles".
Sure, but a judge ought to know better anyway and give a wide berth to possibly spoiling what otherwise might be a open and shut criminal case against these goons.
Old 31st October 2020, 05:06 AM   #329
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I suppose the calculation is between being able to punish them and undoing some of the harm they did. This judge apparently thought the latter was more important.

I think here that Popehat's view is mostly predicated on his political beliefs.
Old 31st October 2020, 05:16 AM   #330
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect the prosecutors would have objected if they thought it would hurt the state's case. Since the state already brought charges, they could just not admit the evidence in the corrective calls and proceed without it.
Old 16th November 2020, 02:25 PM   #331
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Wohl and Burkmann's lawyer is trying to get Alan Dershowitz into the mix as an expert on the constitution.

trying to see how many clowns can fit into this car, should be a real treat.

https://twitter.com/ZTPetrizzo/statu...71180605202437
Old 16th November 2020, 02:40 PM   #332
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Wohl and Burkmann's lawyer is trying to get Alan Dershowitz into the mix as an expert on the constitution.

trying to see how many clowns can fit into this car, should be a real treat.

https://twitter.com/ZTPetrizzo/statu...71180605202437
Yup, its a clown show alright!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics