ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th November 2020, 07:47 PM   #1
CORed
Philosopher

Banana Republican Party

I have, up to now, refrained form calling Republicans by the various names that have been somewhat popular here and elsewhere, e.g. repugnican, rethuglican, and so on.

However, I have come up with a name that, in light of recent events, I think is entirely appropriate. It's the thread title. It would stroke my ego a bit if it catches on, but, if not, I can live with it. Trump is acting like a Banana Republic Presidente who, after losing an election, engineers a coup to hold power. I wonder if he somehow succseeds in destroying American democracy (such as it is), if he will, like Louis Napolen Bonaparte (Napolean III), declare himself emperor after losing an election and engineering a coup to hold power. To make matters worse, most Banana Republicans in Congress are going along with it. I remember when, during the Watergate scandal, Republican senators told Nixon that if he didn't resign, he would be impeached and removed. This surely contributed to their party losing big in the next election, and I'm sure they knew this would be the case when they did that. Contrast that with the current Banana Republican Party, who with only a few exceptions, have gone along with Trump's bull ****. From here on out, I will know that any Banana Republican who claims to support the Constitution is lying. Will I ever vote for a Banana Republican again? Maybe, in 20 years, if I'm still alive and they can show me that they have changed enough to deserve another chance. Until then I don't care if the Democratic Party candidate is an confessed child molester, better a child molester than a Banana Republican.

Last edited by CORed; 11th November 2020 at 07:53 PM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 09:51 PM   #2
Venom
Illuminator

I hope the party implodes.

The Democratic party is diverse enough to select from anyway at this point.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 10:38 PM   #3
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I would hate to see America have a king.
And there would be no one worse than Trump.

But I would pay money to see Elizabeth’s face when Trump walked in wearing some garish thing and says to her, “Hey you and me are the same now” Followed up with, “hey, do they let you kill people ove here?”
Old 12th November 2020, 12:00 AM   #4
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
It's the thread title. It would stroke my ego a bit if it catches on, but, if not, I can live with it.
People on Twitter stole your idea and started using it days ago. Those jerks. El Presidente coined the expression "prime the pump," but the liberal media refuses to give him credit.
Old 12th November 2020, 09:43 AM   #5
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
People on Twitter stole your idea and started using it days ago. Those jerks. El Presidente coined the expression "prime the pump," but the liberal media refuses to give him credit.
Hell, I want it to become a viral meme. I did think it up myself, but it's obvious enough that I'm completely unsurprised that I'm not the only one. Maybe it can get spray painted on some signs, or some websites can be hacked. I wouldn't risk doing that sort of thing myself, but if anybody does, I'll be cheering.

Last edited by CORed; 12th November 2020 at 09:46 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 01:39 PM   #6
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

I was asked to explain my use of the term on YT several days ago, maybe a week, and had been using it here and elsewhere before that. I think it is a case of convergent evolution in word coinage, and is springing up everywhere now. It also happens to fit nicely.
Old 12th November 2020, 02:14 PM   #7
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post

ANybody who thinks a one party state is a good thing is as much a enemy of democracy as any Trump supporter.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 02:27 PM   #8
bam
Scholar

Banana Republican would fill a niche just like RINO does. Trump, Barr, etc who believe that republicans should be allowed special powers which they don't think any democrat should have in the same position are "bananas" and literally act like they're from a Banana Republic.
bam is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 02:32 PM   #9
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
ANybody who thinks a one party state is a good thing is as much a enemy of democracy as any Trump supporter.
People already explained to you that one party state won't happen if republicans magically vanish. Talk about military grade blinders.
Old 12th November 2020, 02:37 PM   #10
Modified
Philosopher

If the Republican Party actually did die off, the Democratic Party would split, one way or another.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 03:46 PM   #11
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
If the Republican Party actually did die off, the Democratic Party would split, one way or another.
This I strongly believe. The only thing keeping AOC and Bernie Sanders from running as independent leftists is the Republican party.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 04:12 PM   #12
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

I really don't see them winning that many more elections. I see them either reforming or splintering up into new parties, hopefully with the most moderate offshoot coming out on top.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 04:37 PM   #13
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
I really don't see them winning that many more elections. I see them either reforming or splintering up into new parties, hopefully with the most moderate offshoot coming out on top.
I'm pretty cynical about it. I think Trumpism is going to remain strong among young white men. I think it may be the dominant ideology in the new Republican party within the next two decades. The Reagan people are dying off or have latched onto Trump.
Old 12th November 2020, 05:37 PM   #14
slyjoe
Master Poster

I'm pretty cynical about it. I think Trumpism is going to remain strong among young white men. I think it may be the dominant ideology in the new Republican party within the next two decades. The Reagan people are dying off or have latched onto Trump.
I wouldn't count on them dying off. Of course they will, but back in the 60s and 70s when I was watching the Civil Rights Movement, Kent State, Nixon, the Vietnam War, etc., I thought the same thing. Wait for the old ******** to die off and the problems will be less.

Unfortunately, and much to my chagrin, that did not happen. Most if not all of this behavior is learned. So it takes way more than 2 decades to die off.

ETA: My point is valid, but maybe I misread your post.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 06:04 PM   #15
Venom
Illuminator

I mean the moderate Reagan people might still be around, even if some are perfectly happy to rally around a tough-talking populist who takes on the mantle of modern conservatism.

But young white men might find Trump attractive in a changing world where they feel slighted by the growing feminist movement, LGBT rights, Black Lives Matter, immigrants in their social spaces (their women), etc. and they are bombarded with culture war stuff on social media. These people will be the problem in the coming decade(s).
Old 13th November 2020, 05:43 PM   #16
Mumbles
Philosopher

Meh. Our system has a stabler state with 2 major parties, and that's the end of it. I also have no problem with the collapse of the GOP, but not because the democratic party is "diverse enough".

Rather, it's because the GOP leadership is hostile to democracy, increasingly embracing the sort of one-party ethnonationalist government seen in the Jim Crow south. Thus the increasingly shrill attacks on voting rights, the claims that various cities are "corrupt", the embrace of extralegal and state violence (the latter of which is transparently against their supposed love of "small government") towards perceived dissidents and racial minorities, and so forth.

(Personally, I'd prefer a move away from "first past the goalpost" systems entirely, but that's just me - and while black people lean towards conservatism in many respects, the increasingly overt white supremacism of the GOP is an inevitable deal-breaker.)
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 06:03 PM   #17
Hans
Philosopher

The Democratic party might split into a moderate 'Democratic Party' and a much more liberal 'Social Democratic Party'. The Republican party might break up like it did when it was formed out of the ruins of the Whig party back nearly two centuries ago.

I was once a Republicans but the last RP president I voted for was Bush Sr. The party's support of Trump was simply a terrible idea and I'm not a great fan of some aspects of the Dems either. Happy Independent.

My fear now is that a much smarter and more political savvy Republican can take up the Trumpian message and form a thinly disguised autocratic based run for 2024.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 01:18 PM   #18
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Some of them, though, still hope to get laid in this lifetime, which may have a moderating influence.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 11:02 AM   #19
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
People already explained to you that one party state won't happen if republicans magically vanish. Talk about military grade blinders.
The only time we have ever had anything close to a one party state was the so called "Era of good feelings" after the War of 1812, when the Federalists vanished, but within a few years the Whigs took their place, as the Republicans took theirs when the Whigs lost influence. There is already a big split between the moderate and left wings of the Democratic Party. About all that is keeping them together is the presence of a common enemy, the Republican Party. I don't think the Republican Party is going anywhere soon. I do think that they may eventually become irrelevent, as they are not getting much support from young people, and they may eventually age out of existence. If and when that happens, I fully expect the Democrats to split into two parties, or a new party will form.
Old 15th November 2020, 11:15 AM   #20
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
The Democratic party might split into a moderate 'Democratic Party' and a much more liberal 'Social Democratic Party'. The Republican party might break up like it did when it was formed out of the ruins of the Whig party back nearly two centuries ago.

I was once a Republicans but the last RP president I voted for was Bush Sr. The party's support of Trump was simply a terrible idea and I'm not a great fan of some aspects of the Dems either. Happy Independent.

My fear now is that a much smarter and more political savvy Republican can take up the Trumpian message and form a thinly disguised autocratic based run for 2024.
That scares the crap out of me too. I think the main thing that has apparently saved us this time is Trump's ineptitude. Somebody with the same racist and authoritarian agenda who is a savvy politician and competent executive could have done a lot more damage, and I fear that it is inevitable that a Republican like that will come along shortly.

Last edited by CORed; 15th November 2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 15th November 2020, 01:06 PM   #21
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Partisan
Quote:
A partisan is a committed member of a political party or army. In multi-party systems, the term is used for persons who strongly support their party's policies and are reluctant to compromise with political opponents...

The term was coined by Vladimir Lenin in 1895, responding to Peter Struve, to counter what he considered to be the futility of objectivity in political economic analysis. Class interests and material conditions of existence determine ideology, and thus, in a Marxist-Leninist view, true objectivity (in terms of non-partisanship) is not possible in a society of antagonistic classes. Marxists, in Lenin's view, should openly acknowledge their partisanship on the side of proletarian revolution. Bourgeois emphasis on the normative goal of objectivity is thus considered to be delusional.
A two party system encourages partisanship and discourages objectivity. The members of each party are forced to be all-in on whatever their Party decides, even if they are personally against it. This is the enemy of democracy.
Old 15th November 2020, 01:39 PM   #22
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
A common sentiment, but increasingly I feel that nothing appeals to intellectually ignorant and lazy people like a fellow traveler.
Old 15th November 2020, 10:02 PM   #23
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Anyone who thinks that it's okay for a party to do away with the Separation of Power by running the White House, Congress and Supreme Court as one unit of power is as much a enemy of democracy as any Trump supporter - i.e. every single Republican in Congress.

The Republican Party no longer has the moral right to be part of any democratic government.

The Democrats can just split in two and, presto, you have your 2-party system back.
Old 16th November 2020, 01:12 PM   #24
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Heres a scary thought I have after someone up thread mentioning the days of Vietnam, and young white men largely supporting Trump. I looked up some demographic data, if the USA had the same racial demographics as 1970 then Trump would've taken the popular vote in 2020 by about 1.5 points, meaning the electoral college would've probably been a landslide. White Americans aren't becoming more liberal, they are becoming more conservative. The only reason the GOP isn't winning election is white non-Latinos now make up just over 60% of the population, instead of in the mid 80's of the Vietnam era.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 02:58 PM   #25
Venom
Illuminator

An interesting brief article on the defining moments in the country that separate Gen Z from Millennials, starting with 9/11.

I predict another Trump-like candidate in the next several years, only smarter and younger.
Old 16th November 2020, 03:43 PM   #26
lobosrul5
Master Poster

An interesting brief article on the defining moments in the country that separate Gen Z from Millennials, starting with 9/11.

I predict another Trump-like candidate in the next several years, only smarter and younger.
His name is Tucker Carlson
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 09:53 PM   #27
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Tucker Carlson, Charlie Kirk, perhaps Tomi Lahren, any of the "anti-PC" grifters you see these days.
Old 16th November 2020, 10:14 PM   #28
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
A common sentiment, but increasingly I feel that nothing appeals to intellectually ignorant and lazy people like a fellow traveler.
I have frequently said, during the last four years, that all the dumbasses in the country recognized Trump as a fellow dumbass, and voted for him.
Old 25th November 2020, 11:03 AM   #29
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Partisan

A two party system encourages partisanship and discourages objectivity. The members of each party are forced to be all-in on whatever their Party decides, even if they are personally against it. This is the enemy of democracy.
That's one reason that I have never officially joined a party. Now that my state has open primaries (you are mailed ballots for both parties but can only vote one ballot), there is no benefit for me to do so. OTOH, I suspect that it will be a long time, if ever before I will vote for a Banana Republican again. Democrats are far from perfect, but Republicans have, for the most part, gone down the path of "alternative facts", and have proven that, for the most part, they have no real principles beyond whatever it takes to maintain power.
Old 25th November 2020, 11:05 AM   #30
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Well, Tucker is definitely younger than Trump, but I'm not at all sure about smarter.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics