ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th October 2020, 07:46 AM   #161
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Are we sure no contact information was left? Where are we getting that from?
We are getting it from the guy who runs the shop. He has stated that he isn't 100 percent sure that it was Hunter Biden who dropped off the laptop but assumed that the laptop was Hunter Biden's because it had a Beau Biden Foundation sticker on it.

Quote:
The man, John Paul Mac Isaac, said he has a condition that affects his vision and “can’t be 100% sure” it was Hunter Biden who dropped off the computer for repair.
Quote:
he determined it was Hunter Biden because the laptop had a sticker from the Beau Biden Foundation
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hun...paul-mac-isaac

Which leads to the next problem with the story: the guy claims that he has such poor vision that he can't recognize people but he can see the tiny screws in a laptop computer.

Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 15th October 2020 at 07:54 AM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 07:48 AM   #162
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This is like Watergate but if Nixon had left the tapes in his jacket pocket for dry cleaning except the tapes were just found in a random jacket pocket with "Nixon '76" pin on the lapel so they assumed they had to be Nixon's jacket oh and the tapes also didn't really exist.
Old 15th October 2020, 07:51 AM   #163
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Fox News portrayed it as one of the biggest scandals in American history. Then it fell apart

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/14/media...ate/index.html

Quote:
New York - (CNN Business) It was a conspiracy that Fox News portrayed as one of the greatest — if not the greatest — political scandals in American history.

Tucker Carlson called it a "domestic spying operation" that was "hidden under the pretext of national security." Laura Ingraham characterized top Obama administration officials as having been "exposed." And Sean Hannity flatly declared it to be the "biggest abuse of power, corruption scandal" the country had ever seen.

That was back in May. This week, however, the conspiracy theory collapsed when The Washington Post reported that a Justice Department investigation into the supposed scandal quietly ended with no charges.
Looks like the Republicans are learning too late they needed a new "But her E-mails" / "He wasn't Born Here" scandal.
Old 15th October 2020, 08:14 AM   #164
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Rudy Giuliani today on Steve Bannon's radio show –

Sounds like Giuliani is going to do a slow burn on releasing what was found on Biden's hard drive a la Project Veritas over the next several days.

I think I'm going to take a vacation just so I have time to watch the loony left's meltdown this week! It's gonna be so much fun!
Based on your gullibility regarding this story, I assume you’ll be vacationing on that nice piece of swampland in Florida someone sold you.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 08:20 AM   #165
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Based on your gullibility regarding this story, I assume you’ll be vacationing on that nice piece of swampland in Florida someone sold you.

A comparison was made to Project Veritas, so maybe it was meant as a subtle way of saying "Yes, I know this is a complete fabrication, like everything Project Veritas has released."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 08:26 AM   #166
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Which leads to the next problem with the story: the guy claims that he has such poor vision that he can't recognize people but he can see the tiny screws in a laptop computer.
I suppose he could just be incredibly short-sighted
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 08:56 AM   #167
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Not at all. He's going to that beautiful old suspension bridge he bought, that spans the East River in New York City.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 09:29 AM   #168
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Another problem with the Hunter Biden laptop story: Hunter Biden was living in California at the time when the laptop was supposedly left at a repair shop in Delaware.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 09:36 AM   #169
CORed
Philosopher

Another problem with the Hunter Biden laptop story: Hunter Biden was living in California at the time when the laptop was supposedly left at a repair shop in Delaware.
It's starting to look a lot like "He wasn't born here.", in that it's completely fabricated and won't stand even a cursory examination of the facts. Of course Fox News and Trump cult members will eat it up, but it's not likely to sway many people on the fense (if there are any left).
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 09:37 AM   #170
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

What better way to cover your tracks than to travel clear across country to get three of your laptops fixed.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 09:47 AM   #171
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Hey, that's small-time stuff for a wealthy young man to do in the 2010s, compared to how much trouble the pregnant Ann Dunham had to go through to fly to Kenya to give birth in 1961.
Old 15th October 2020, 09:53 AM   #172
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
What better way to cover your tracks than to travel clear across country to get three of your laptops fixed.
I'm not in the computer repair business, but I'm guessing that their business model does not depend on millionaires drippong off multiple laptops for repair.
Old 15th October 2020, 09:54 AM   #173
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Without your contact details, ow can they tell you the repair is complete ? Are you supposed to keep popping in on the off chance that the repairs are complete ? If the repair shop owner cannot identify you due to a medical condition, how do you make sure you get your laptop back ?

I guess this guy operates a business where people just drop off laptops for repair, come back some time later and take some laptop (could be theirs, could be someone else's) away with them.
Pretty hard to make any sense of the story except it's an attention getting fake and Rudy was desperate to find something.

I see they are trying everything they can to go after Hunter and connect the dots to Biden. After this fake, I think it makes it harder to sell any other stories.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:02 AM   #174
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Pretty hard to make any sense of the story except it's an attention getting fake and Rudy was desperate to find something.
Why isn't simply being laughed out of court ?

Why isn't Rudy Giuliani being mocked on all channels for promoting this ridiculous nonsense ?

Why aren't any prominent Republicans willing to break rank ?

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I see they are trying everything they can to go after Hunter and connect the dots to Biden. After this fake, I think it makes it harder to sell any other stories.
...and yet serious news agencies are reporting on it seriously rather than just mocking him ?
Old 15th October 2020, 10:02 AM   #175
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Are we sure no contact information was left? Where are we getting that from?
Oh for pity's sake! The story is as fake as trying to pass off Monopoly money as real money.

Instead of trying to shoe-horn little bits of the story into a real Oct surprise, read the actual story with lots of bits of information that I linked to above. There are dozens of things wrong with the story including some vague medical issue that prevents him from knowing any information about who dropped the laptop off to his changing the story multiple times.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:06 AM   #176
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
A comparison was made to Project Veritas, so maybe it was meant as a subtle way of saying "Yes, I know this is a complete fabrication, like everything Project Veritas has released."
O'Keefe is probably jealous.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:09 AM   #177
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Why isn't Rudy Giuliani being mocked on all channels for promoting this ridiculous nonsense ?

...and yet serious news agencies are reporting on it seriously rather than just mocking him ?
Are you serious?

Maybe you also need to read the actual links instead of making excuses like these up.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:11 AM   #178
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

YES!!! THAT'S IT!!! What a brilliant plan: Travel cross-country to drop off a laptop at a repair shop, don't tell the shop who you are and make sure that the owner has bad eyesight and can't recognize you, and don't ever retrieve the laptop with the expectation that the repair shop will wipe everything from the disk and sell the laptop to someone who lives 3,000 miles from you so that all traces of a secret meeting with a Ukrainian businessman will vanish forever.

Old 15th October 2020, 10:12 AM   #179
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

YES!!! THAT'S IT!!! What a brilliant plan: Travel cross-country to drop off a laptop at a repair shop, don't tell the shop who you are and make sure that the owner has bad eyesight and can't recognize you, and don't ever retrieve the laptop with the expectation that the repair shop will wipe everything from the disk and sell the laptop to someone who lives 3,000 miles from you so that all traces of a secret meeting with a Ukrainian businessman will vanish forever.
Sounds like a near perfect plan which would have worked had it not been for one alert patriot.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:15 AM   #180
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Well, they were intensely jealous of Bush's plot to destroy paper records by flying two planes into the WTC towers, so they'd have an excuse to demolish a third building blocks away, hours later.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:25 AM   #181
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

We are getting it from the guy who runs the shop. He has stated that he isn't 100 percent sure that it was Hunter Biden who dropped off the laptop but assumed that the laptop was Hunter Biden's because it had a Beau Biden Foundation sticker on it.
That's proof enough. Surely only one such sticker was ever made, and doubtless it was given to Hunter, who'd never have passed it on to someone else.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:27 AM   #182
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
That's proof enough. Surely only one such sticker was ever made, and doubtless it was given to Hunter, who'd never have passed it on to someone else.
Board members and millionaires do like to put stickers on their laptops just like teenagers right?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 10:36 AM   #183
Lurch
Graduate Poster

I suppose he could just be incredibly short-sighted
Near sighted. And short-sighted.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 10:48 AM   #184
portlandatheist
Illuminator

After they go through all those emails and other data on the laptop, I hope they find the location of the Unicorn Farm in the Ukraine that has Clinton's email server.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 11:39 AM   #185
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think Giuliani's being played like the desperate gullible idiot he is:
Quote:
Source says the Hunter Biden laptop controversy hints at a Russian disinformation operation

An Estonian intelligence official with extensive knowledge of Russian disinformation techniques says that the Hunter Biden computer email scandal has hints of a Russian disinformation operation.

In a typical Russian disinformation operation, the official, who cannot be named for security reasons, said real documents are salted with forged or manipulated information and then presented in a way that news media — and social media — cannot resist.

"It's just too perfect," the official said. 
"A laptop is dropped off to a blind computer repairman in the name of Hunter Biden — in the middle of a presidential election — that happens to be filled with extensive documents along with videos of sex and drug use and it ends up in the hands of the president's lawyer, who publicly admits to working closely with a Ukrainian official that the Trump administration itself has sanctioned as a Russian intelligence asset attempting to interfere in the presidential campaign," said the official, who cannot be named for security reasons.

'The Russians will think it so perfect that they won't care if he believes the **** or not because they know he will pass it along either way'
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 11:42 AM   #186
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Hmm tough call, is this incompetence and gullibility or getting good dirt from a loyal friend and simply not caring that it is fabricated?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 11:43 AM   #187
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Hmm tough call, is this incompetence and gullibility or getting good dirt from a loyal friend and simply not caring that it is fabricated?
Neither. He knows it's BS and he doesn't care.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 11:44 AM   #188
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Neither. He knows it's BS and he doesn't care.
And that is different from simply not caring it is fabricated how?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 11:50 AM   #189
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And that is different from simply not caring it is fabricated how?
All I was saying is that the "loyal friend" part doesn't matter a bit. If a rando walked up to him in the street with the same story, he'd have no shame about portraying it in the media as truth.

I definitely could have phrased it better instead of allowing for the inference that I was being dismissive.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 15th October 2020 at 11:52 AM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 11:53 AM   #190
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
All I was saying is that the "loyal friend" part doesn't matter a bit. If a rando walked up to him in the street with the same story, he'd have no shame about portraying it in the media as truth.
And my point is that he has a good history with being in bed with russian interests, not that they somehow took advantage of him. He knew it was crap but maybe he thought it would hang together a bit longer than it has.
Old 15th October 2020, 12:10 PM   #191
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Has this actually gotten to the point where the courts (or even law enforcement/FBI/etc) would even be involved?

Quote:

Well if you are a republican congress-critters and say "this is foolish" you would probably be seen by the MAGAchuds as pro-biden, regardless of the number of times you kissed Trump's ass. The only thing you can do is stay silent and hope nobody asks about it.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 12:42 PM   #192
Bogative
Graduate Poster

"John Paul Mac Isaac" sounds kind of Russian to me. ******* Putin!!!
I may be prescient.

Nah, TDS sufferers are very predictable.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 12:50 PM   #193
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This just reeks of Russia for all the reasons mentioned in the article. I also find the timeline interesting.

Although Isaac claims he received the computer in April 2019, what proof is there that he did? According to TellyKNeasuss, Hunter B was living in CA at that time. Isaac says he contacted an intermediary in September, 2019 who then contacted the FBI which then "made a forensic copy of the laptop, then returned weeks later with a subpoena and confiscated it."

Pelosi began the impeachment inquiry against Trump in September 2019.

So the FBI had the computer during the impeachment trial. Did they not examine the authenticity of the emails? If this was such a 'smoking gun' regarding H.B and Burisma why did we not hear of it during the impeachment?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 01:07 PM   #194
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

So the FBI had the computer during the impeachment trial. Did they not examine the authenticity of the emails? If this was such a 'smoking gun' regarding H.B and Burisma why did we not hear of it during the impeachment?
DEEP STATE!!!

Old 15th October 2020, 01:12 PM   #195
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Is any of the supposed content of this hard disk NOT available somewhere publicly? Also, is any of the juicy email stuff proven to have been written at the time claimed, and not concocted using Notepad (or whatever) at any other time?

It would take me all of 5 minutes to take the text of an existing email and bodge it up to look like something extremely tempting to halfwit Rudi. So I would imagine it would take a Ukrainian or Russian team of computer experts no time and very little effort to make a whole bunch more, plus fill a hard disk full of a collected library of readily-available videos, etc. A training exercise for one of their beginner provocateurs, no doubt.

I think I can hear the chuckles with a Russian accent from here.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 03:13 PM   #196
Bogative
Graduate Poster

We may find out.
Quote:
House Republicans are calling on the FBI to reveal whether it was in possession of a laptop that reportedly contained emails by Hunter Biden during the impeachment of President Trump — and claiming the agency committed a “gross error in judgement” if it did not inform the White House

“A large portion of the president’s legal defense case revolved around strong evidence that former Vice President Biden’s son Hunter was peddling his influence to his father to land lucrative jobs overseas that he might not have otherwise been qualified for,” the letter says.

The lawmakers ask whether the FBI was in possession of the laptop and drive as documented in the Post, whether it took steps to authenticate the drive and the data, and if anyone at the FBI briefed officials at the Department of Justice or White House after December.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 03:30 PM   #197
Elagabalus
Philosopher

I think JoeMorgue covered this story (sufficiently IMO) yesterday.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Look for a "bombshell" (cough cough) smear attack on Hunter Biden in the next week or so as Trump's Hail Mary. FoxNews is salivating over a story about Giuliani's laywers having "dirt" on him and pushing it hard to their viewership.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hun...d-drive-laptop
Yeah Fox News really perfected the whole "People want answers on the 'Senator Johnson punches kittens' rumor. Why won't Senator Johnson answer these question?" when they are the ones who started the rumor that Senator Johnson punches kit routine.
Way back on an episode of the Daily Show Jon Stewart broke down how Fox News "works."

They have their "opinion" shows just make stuff up to stir up controversy and then have their "news" report on the stuff people are talking about. It's basically journalistic push polling.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 05:54 PM   #198
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

This really does prove how badly primed right-wingers are for news about e-mails. It gives them an erection so fast that what little blood supply their brain was receiving completely dries up.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 06:20 PM   #199
gypsyjackson
Muse

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
This really does prove how badly primed right-wingers are for news about e-mails. It gives them an erection so fast that what little blood supply their brain was receiving completely dries up.
It does make you wonder: if they think everyone else’s emails are so exciting and must be incriminating in some way, what do they have in theirs?
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 12:52 AM   #200
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Has this actually gotten to the point where the courts (or even law enforcement/FBI/etc) would even be involved?
My poor wording

I was using the phrase idiomatically, rather than literally:

Quote:
laugh out of court, to

To ridicule without mercy; to treat as not worth being taken seriously. The court here referred to is a court of law, and the idea of dismissing a case as laughable is mentioned in Horace’s Satires (35 b.c.). The modern term dates from the late nineteenth century and has lost its legal significance entirely, as in Walter de la Mare’s use (A Private View, 1909): “Longfellow, Emerson, and hosts of lesser men be laughed out of court.”
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com...es%20(35%20b.c.).

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics