ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th October 2020, 03:00 AM   #321
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post
Nope, didn't evade, it's your memory and comprehension problem, not mine.

"This has nothing to do with the election"

Is your original statement I responded to. Now you are switching it to "how is it connected to the Biden campaign."
*Shrugs*. That question wasn't directed to you; someone else said this would be easy for the campaign to disprove. I wondered why that poster specified that proof should come from the "campaign" vs. Hunter or Joe Biden. They didn't answer. You expressed surprise that I would ask that question, but then would not say why you were surprised. Now I see the game you're playing: It's not related to the campaign per se but is still related to the election. The timing certainly supports that interpretation.

Maybe in future you could let others answer for themselves? It could save a lot of pointless semantic confusion, but then again, pointless semantic confusion may be what you're going for.

Those are two different things. I evaded nothing. It has nothing to do with the Biden campaign, this all happened way before any Biden for President campaign.
Yes, but the poster I was addressing seemed to think the campaign itself should be offering proof even though the campaign did not exist at the time of the alleged scandal.

If you think that supposed emails in the hand of the the former VP's son getting funny money from China and sharing it with his dad isn't going to sway some voters, keep kidding yourself on that is all I have to say.
OK. So do you agree that it is up to the campaign itself to disprove the narrative, even though the campaign didn't exist at the time? And no, I don't think this is going to sway a meaningful number of voters. IMO there's a reason this weird leaked laptop story was not fast-tracked for FBI investigation: Because it's ridiculous. Here's a hard drive, trust me, it's been sitting in my shop and I've already cloned it 4 times so you guys can have it. It's Hunter Biden's, even though I can't testify that it's really Hunter Biden's, but that was my impression which is good enough, right? Also, I don't remember whether I called the FBI or they called me. It was all so long ago ...

I heard you same people blame Comey for exonerating Clinton a few days before the election for Trump's win 4 years ago.
You don't know jack about what I said 4 years ago re: Comey's surprise discovery of HRC emails on a laptop of questionable provenance and his co-called "exoneration" a few days later. It's uncanny how Trump et al. come back with ... surprise discoveries of Hunter Biden emails on a laptop of questionable provenance.

You think they aren't going to drip this Biden stuff? You think this has nothing to do with the election?
"They" (and who is "they"?) may well drip "this Biden stuff" but gut feeling, it's not going to change anyone's mind because the Trump spawn themselves are openly involved in their own questionable deals peddling access to Daddy. Grown adults trying to cash in on Daddy's influence isn't necessarily a huge scandal. Besides which, I wouldn't be surprised if the Hunter Biden stuff turns out to be a few authentic emails larded with purported scandals that are completely made up. There's a reason the FBI didn't jump all over this stuff. I mean, Trump has been trying to use his presidential power right and left to chase political enemies and he keeps coming up empty. I don't think this one will bear much fruit either. Fox calling it a bombshell does not a bombshell make. But, as always, I could be wrong.

Or do you realize your snark about me "evading" was misplaced because you can't remember what you said?
See above. You never answered my question, which was (paraphrase), "Why should it up to the campaign to rebut these allegations?" But that's OK; I never really expected a straight answer to begin with. Meanwhile I think you should be happy, because your tactics are pretty decent, depending of course on your goal, which I think is to get earnest people like myself deeply enmeshed and wasting energy trying to get you to see reason. Certainly I've fallen for it.

Last edited by Minoosh; 17th October 2020 at 03:11 AM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 04:00 AM   #322
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I heard it described as if the Watergate tapes were found a year later in the pocket of a jacket that someone had dropped off at a dry-cleaners and then didn't return to collect, and that it was assumed that the jacket belonged to Nixon because it had a Nixon pin on the lapel.
Old 17th October 2020, 05:03 AM   #323
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Did they come back with an alien hard drive with pictures of the aliens smoking meth? It didn't say in your link.
Where exactly are the hard drives with the proof that they were from Hunter Bidenís computer? Who has read off the alleged Hunter files on it? Where are the the files from it now? What exactly do they say?

Youíve been asked these same same questions upthread multiple without adequately responding. Whereas the alien abduction stories have actual photos of the abducted people, people willing to provide their real names! Some photos have images of clawed aliens in them! They have named names, not referred vaguely ďthe Big Guy.Ē There is no comparison in terms of actual documentation!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 05:09 AM   #324
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Keep butting into people having a discussion when you obviously have nothing to add.
Who took the photo of Hunter with the crack pipe?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 05:49 AM   #325
dirtywick
Master Poster

this is what happens when you take Rudy Giuliani seriously
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 06:17 AM   #326
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
*Shrugs*. That question wasn't directed to you; someone else said this would be easy for the campaign to disprove. I wondered why that poster specified that proof should come from the "campaign" vs. Hunter or Joe Biden.
I'm assuming you mean me? Saying that it "should be easy for the campaign to disprove" is a completely different claim to saying that the campaign should disprove it. It's clearly their choice. I think I said before, they could be waiting for a more strategic moment to disprove this.

Yes, but the poster I was addressing seemed to think the campaign itself should be offering proof even though the campaign did not exist at the time of the alleged scandal.
What? Biden's campaign want Biden to win. If people are claiming there are emails proving wrong doing of their candidate, but those emails are fabricated... it seems like they might have some interest in proving it. They don't have to, obviously. Are we thinking that Hunter Biden won't cooperate with them in proving the emails are faked?

This idea that it isn't the campaign's job to respond to accusations of things their candidate did, or is accused of doing, prior to the campaign is insane. Aren't most negative stories about the ethics of candidates about things they did prior to the start of the campaign? If the Trump campaign respond to a claim about Trump's tax returns, it's not because the campaign were involved in the tax returns, it's because it's a negative story about their candidate.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 06:19 AM   #327
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Epstein
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 06:19 AM   #328
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

*Shrugs*. That question wasn't directed to you; someone else said this would be easy for the campaign to disprove. I wondered why that poster specified that proof should come from the "campaign" vs. Hunter or Joe Biden. They didn't answer. You expressed surprise that I would ask that question, but then would not say why you were surprised. Now I see the game you're playing: It's not related to the campaign per se but is still related to the election. The timing certainly supports that interpretation.

Maybe in future you could let others answer for themselves? It could save a lot of pointless semantic confusion, but then again, pointless semantic confusion may be what you're going for.

OK. So do you agree that it is up to the campaign itself to disprove the narrative, even though the campaign didn't exist at the time? And no, I don't think this is going to sway a meaningful number of voters. IMO there's a reason this weird leaked laptop story was not fast-tracked for FBI investigation: Because it's ridiculous. Here's a hard drive, trust me, it's been sitting in my shop and I've already cloned it 4 times so you guys can have it. It's Hunter Biden's, even though I can't testify that it's really Hunter Biden's, but that was my impression which is good enough, right? Also, I don't remember whether I called the FBI or they called me. It was all so long ago ...

You don't know jack about what I said 4 years ago re: Comey's surprise discovery of HRC emails on a laptop of questionable provenance and his co-called "exoneration" a few days later. It's uncanny how Trump et al. come back with ... surprise discoveries of Hunter Biden emails on a laptop of questionable provenance.

"They" (and who is "they"?) may well drip "this Biden stuff" but gut feeling, it's not going to change anyone's mind because the Trump spawn themselves are openly involved in their own questionable deals peddling access to Daddy. Grown adults trying to cash in on Daddy's influence isn't necessarily a huge scandal. Besides which, I wouldn't be surprised if the Hunter Biden stuff turns out to be a few authentic emails larded with purported scandals that are completely made up. There's a reason the FBI didn't jump all over this stuff. I mean, Trump has been trying to use his presidential power right and left to chase political enemies and he keeps coming up empty. I don't think this one will bear much fruit either. Fox calling it a bombshell does not a bombshell make. But, as always, I could be wrong.

See above. You never answered my question, which was (paraphrase), "Why should it up to the campaign to rebut these allegations?" But that's OK; I never really expected a straight answer to begin with. Meanwhile I think you should be happy, because your tactics are pretty decent, depending of course on your goal, which I think is to get earnest people like myself deeply enmeshed and wasting energy trying to get you to see reason. Certainly I've fallen for it.

Oh whatever. I quoted you verbatim up thread, if you didn't want to answer you didn't have to. Instead you changed the quote to something you never said that I never asked about. Hell, you pushed the issue even after I quoted you and said never mind, that I didn't care.

You're right, it's not about the election at all, has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by TahiniBinShawarma; 17th October 2020 at 06:28 AM.
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 06:20 AM   #329
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Epstein
LOL, that's really funny.
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 06:21 AM   #330
shuttlt
Philosopher

LOL, that's really funny.
It's 2020. Would you bet your house that it wasn't Epstein?

:-)
Old 17th October 2020, 06:21 AM   #331
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post

You'd have to ask Hunter, not sure how the hell you think I'm supposed to know that.
Old 17th October 2020, 06:24 AM   #332
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

I'm assuming you mean me? Saying that it "should be easy for the campaign to disprove" is a completely different claim to saying that the campaign should disprove it. It's clearly their choice. I think I said before, they could be waiting for a more strategic moment to disprove this.

What? Biden's campaign want Biden to win. If people are claiming there are emails proving wrong doing of their candidate, but those emails are fabricated... it seems like they might have some interest in proving it. They don't have to, obviously. Are we thinking that Hunter Biden won't cooperate with them in proving the emails are faked?

This idea that it isn't the campaign's job to respond to accusations of things their candidate did, or is accused of doing, prior to the campaign is insane. Aren't most negative stories about the ethics of candidates about things they did prior to the start of the campaign? If the Trump campaign respond to a claim about Trump's tax returns, it's not because the campaign were involved in the tax returns, it's because it's a negative story about their candidate.

Well, I'm told by someone far smarter than me that this Russian disinformation would never sway any significant amount of votes. And of course "This has nothing to do with the election" so.....tough luck on getting an answer from the campaign Pal.

Last edited by TahiniBinShawarma; 17th October 2020 at 06:36 AM.
Old 17th October 2020, 06:26 AM   #333
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Ah. That tells me so much more than anything else you've written. And confirms what I already suspected from reading the Flynn thread. I won't be wasting my time with you any longer.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...aaa23348da.jpg

Promise?
Old 17th October 2020, 06:30 AM   #334
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Stands to reason, given that it's likely Russian disinformation, being propagated at a time when it's known the Russians are propagating disinformation about Biden, spread by someone dishonest with open connections to known Russian intelligence agents, who has previously disseminated Russian disinformation. Just last year the US intelligence agencies warned the White House that Giuliani was peddling Russian disinformation.

Who cares what the actual claims are? They're almost certainly ********. The provenance of the claims is much more interesting.
"Likely" from "unnamed sources" gotcha.
Old 17th October 2020, 06:31 AM   #335
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

I heard it described as if the Watergate tapes were found a year later in the pocket of a jacket that someone had dropped off at a dry-cleaners and then didn't return to collect, and that it was assumed that the jacket belonged to Nixon because it had a Nixon pin on the lapel.
Back to reading Seth Abramson again?
Old 17th October 2020, 06:37 AM   #336
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

It's 2020. Would you bet your house that it wasn't Epstein?

:-)
LOL, let me think about it.
Old 17th October 2020, 07:16 AM   #337
wareyin
Philosopher

Can you explain how to disprove a screenshot of an email that someone else wrote?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 07:22 AM   #338
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

"They" (and who is "they"?) may well drip "this Biden stuff" but gut feeling, it's not going to change anyone's mind...
The strategy seems to be a two-step process. 1: Keep pushing a weird story about e-mails, never saying anything specifically damning, but using lots of buzzwords like "scandal" and "smoking gun." 2: Complain like hell when the mainstream media doesn't pick it up.

To my knowledge, only one person is falling for it.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 07:27 AM   #339
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

I don't think you've given your proposal very much consideration. Allow me to illustrate. I am going to make a claim, and just so it's 100% clear, the following is not an accusation, but an attempt at establishing a principle:

3 years ago, I sent you (shuttlt) an e-mail thanking you for the very high quality heroin you sold me.

Please tell me how you would go about proving that the e-mail described above was never actually sent to you.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 07:51 AM   #340
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Keep butting into people having a discussion when you obviously have nothing to add.
Have you tried facing away from the mirror?
Old 17th October 2020, 07:56 AM   #341
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Have you tried facing away from the mirror?
Look, another one.
Old 17th October 2020, 08:04 AM   #342
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
I don't think you've given your proposal very much consideration. Allow me to illustrate. I am going to make a claim, and just so it's 100% clear, the following is not an accusation, but an attempt at establishing a principle:

3 years ago, I sent you (shuttlt) an e-mail thanking you for the very high quality heroin you sold me.

Please tell me how you would go about proving that the e-mail described above was never actually sent to you.
Sure. To begin with, I have access to my own email... so I would know 100% whether I had or hadn't received such an email and could give an unequivocal denial without fear of contradiction. That doesn't seem to be happening at the moment.

Then I'd say that it depends a bit on what is being refuted. If somebody is falsely claiming to have a copy of my emails, then I have a way to refute that because I have access to the genuine emails from the period which they won't have. If somebody does have a copy of my email, but has altered some message... then again, I have access to the originals and have a way to refute them. We have a third possibility, that they have access to my emails, but have added some additional emails to their copy. In that instance, it is trickier... I would expect Apple as well as the company who sent the email to have logs. Depending on what is being denied, I agree it is easier/harder. I'm not clear at this point what is being denied.

Don't we now have somebody related to the China emails confirming that they are genuine?

Given that the FBI have had this for months, hopefully what ever investigation is necessary to get to the bottom of it has already been done.
Old 17th October 2020, 08:11 AM   #343
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Milky Way, Sol, Earth, Northern Hemisphere, USA, AZ, Scottsdale
Sure. To begin with, I have access to my own email... so I would know 100% whether I had or hadn't received such an email and could give an unequivocal denial without fear of contradiction. That doesn't seem to be happening at the moment.
You might "know" but you can't prove you didn't get an email. How do you prove you didn't delete it?
Old 17th October 2020, 08:15 AM   #344
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So, let me get this straight....

And if it is fabricated, we're supposed to believe it's China behind it, not Russia? When China has been quite clear they prefer Biden to win and Russia has been quite clear in both word and action that they prefer Trump to win. I don't think it would take Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out.
Remember when Trump claimed Russia wanted Clinton to win the election?
Old 17th October 2020, 08:16 AM   #345
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

How long do you think it would take the FBI to find out if Hunter B was in Delaware when the computer was left at the shop? I'd say just long enough to access his credit card records for around that time. Or telephone records.

ETA: I'm not saying it's unreasonable. I'm saying he could have gone back for some reason. You're assuming I think it's unreasonable.
It is unreasonable. The story is fishier than a tin of sardines.

Trump lies don't need to be the least bit credible. He puts them out there then cries CT when they are discredited. And sadly people suck up the nonsense the same way they have latched onto Qanon which is as ludicrous as claiming lizard people are running the country.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 17th October 2020 at 08:21 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 08:17 AM   #346
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
You might "know" but you can't prove you didn't get an email. How do you prove you didn't delete it?

I think it's up to Giuliani and Co. to prove they actually have the emails. It's not like the emails couldn't be authenticated by metadata.
Old 17th October 2020, 08:18 AM   #347
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Beat me to the punch. This raises the question: Why would Biden waste his time trying to satisfy the "Obama's birth certificate is fake" crowd?
Old 17th October 2020, 08:22 AM   #348
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I would expect Apple as well as the company who sent the email to have logs.
1. Keeping e-mails indefinitely is not the common practice you are implying it is. Even my sister, who uses GMail (with virtually unlimited e-mail storage) and would never have an outsider interested in her communications, deletes every message as soon as she's dealt with the contents.
2. E-mail servers do not keep records indefinitely either.
3. AFAIK, most companies have data retention policies that include regularly purging old e-mails.
4. Apple wouldn't have records of e-mails at all unless you were using Apple as your service provider, an extremely uncommon situation.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 08:23 AM   #349
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Beat me to the punch. This raises the question: Why would Biden waste his time trying to satisfy the "Obama's birth certificate is fake" crowd?
Because this is the opposite. Biden isn't producing something called "fake" it's the other side producing something people here and elsewhere are calling "fake."

Well, the other side is actually NOT producing it, that's my problem with it.
Old 17th October 2020, 08:27 AM   #350
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

"Likely" from "unnamed sources" gotcha.
I like how the best counter-argument you can offer is to quote-mine disparate parts of my post and pretend that the two quotes* are the entire content of the post and both refer to the same thing.

*Well, one isn't a quote, but is instead a disingenuous paraphrase of the article I quoted.
Old 17th October 2020, 08:29 AM   #351
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Back to reading Seth Abramson again?
There's a Seth Abramson thread around here somewhere, started by a poster who is totally not you. If you want to discuss him, I'd suggest doing so in there.
Old 17th October 2020, 08:30 AM   #352
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It is unreasonable. The story is fishier than a tin of sardines.

Trump lies don't need to be the least bit credible. He puts them out there then cries CT when they are discredited. And sadly people suck up the nonsense the same way they have latched onto Qanon which is as ludicrous as claiming lizard people are running the country.
Eh, not sure what's so unreasonable about a drug addict rich kid leaving his laptop at a repair shop in his home state where his alleged crooked father he shares his money with lives.

Speaking of Qanon, that crazy Chinese video that was posted last month says the hard drive has pedo stuff with Biden on it lol. I'm really surprised no one if flipping out about this considering we have the picture of Rudy, crazy Chinese guy, crazy Chinese virus girl, and Bannon in the room all at the same time.

The other thing is that crazy Chinese guy says the hard drives are from China. At least the ones he's talking about. So that would go against RUdy's story about the hard drives. Unless this is a whole other set of drives lol.

It's entertaining to say the least.
Old 17th October 2020, 08:32 AM   #353
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

There's a Seth Abramson thread around here somewhere, started by a poster who is totally not you. If you want to discuss him, I'd suggest doing so in there.

Thanks for the offer LOL, I'll pass on that nonsense.
Old 17th October 2020, 08:35 AM   #354
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

This is exactly it - you don't want to give it oxygen. Denials are never as impactful as scandal, regardless of whether or not the scandal is obviously fake, and by engaging with it all you're doing is providing the media the opportunity to run stories on your engagement.

Its the Streisand Effect, only moreso because FOX, OANN, Breitbart, etc. weren't specifically out to get Streisand, and that story wasn't deliberately seeded in order to be propagated in this manner.
Old 17th October 2020, 08:35 AM   #355
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

I like how the best counter-argument you can offer is to quote-mine disparate parts of my post and pretend that the two quotes* are the entire content of the post and both refer to the same thing.

*Well, one isn't a quote, but is instead a disingenuous paraphrase of the article I quoted.
My point is that no evidence has been presented that it's Russian disinfo, and no name is attached to anyone with authority that it's Russian disinfo. This is Steel Dossier 101 stuff all over again.
Old 17th October 2020, 08:36 AM   #356
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for the offer LOL, I'll pass on that nonsense.
I didn't say that I'd engage with you on the subject there. I just said that that's the place for the discussion that you tried to initiate and now are calling "nonsense".

At least we can agree on that latter point.
Old 17th October 2020, 08:38 AM   #357
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

It's Steele Dossier 101 level nonsense. No one of authority has come out and said this is Russian disinformation. All there is is "people familiar with the matter" and the media burned that bridge a long time ago.
Old 17th October 2020, 08:39 AM   #358
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

This is Steel Dossier 101 stuff all over again.
You mean completely accurate in every verifiable respect but still rejected by the GOP because they don't like the conclusions?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 08:40 AM   #359
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The strategy seems to be a two-step process. 1: Keep pushing a weird story about e-mails, never saying anything specifically damning, but using lots of buzzwords like "scandal" and "smoking gun." 2: Complain like hell when the mainstream media doesn't pick it up.

To my knowledge, only one person is falling for it.
Sadly, no. A whole bunch of idiots are trying to push the story out there, spreading it among themselves via social media. And the news media seems to think they are obligated to use weasel words to describe it instead of coming out and calling it what it is, ludicrous.

Four years of Trump spinning lie after lie and people are still convinced by the next one. The news media has begun saying some things aren't true like the claim mail-in voting is open to massive fraud. At least they've gone that far. But Barr is repeating the story.

Has this been posted yet?

Above the Law: Career Prosecutor Torches Bill Barr In Epic Resignation Editorial
Quote:
ďAfter 36 years, Iím fleeing what was the U.S. Department of Justice ó where I proudly served 19 different attorneys general and six different presidents,Ē former Assistant U.S. Attorney Phillip Halpern wrote yesterday in the San Diego Union-Tribune.

"Unfortunately, over the last year, Barrís resentment toward rule-of-law prosecutors became increasingly difficult to ignore, as did his slavish obedience to Donald Trumpís will in his selective meddling with the criminal justice system in the Paul Manafort, Michael Flynn and Roger Stone cases. In each of these cases, Barr overruled career prosecutors in order to assist the presidentís associates and/or friends, who potentially harbor incriminating information. This career bureaucrat seems determined to turn our democracy into an autocracy.

There is no other honest explanation for Barrís parroting of the presidentís wild and unsupported conspiracy theories regarding mail-in ballots (which have been contradicted by the presidentís handpicked FBI director) and his support for the presidentís sacking of the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, whose office used the thinnest of veils to postpone charging the president in a criminal investigation along with Michael Cohen (who pled guilty and directly implicated the president)...."
He said he would have left sooner but wanted to finish the prosecution of:
Quote:
Congressman Duncan Hunter, who pled guilty to campaign finance violations, but spent a year screaming bloody murder that he was being persecuted for supporting Donald Trump. (Because he and his wife accidentally used the campaign credit card to pay for tuition, vacations, dental work, and trips to Burger King.)
Sounds just like a prosecution Barr and Trump would have derailed.
Old 17th October 2020, 08:44 AM   #360
shuttlt
Philosopher

Like I said, it depends what is being refuted. If I'm saying that the emails on the laptop aren't mine, then that is easily dealt with since I have access to my own email. If I am claiming they were altered, then again I have access to my emails so I can prove it. If I am claiming that the emails on the laptop are mine, but some additional emails have been slipped in, then I would expect the logs of Apple, or the other service providers who handled the email, to be able to show that the emails weren't sent. Given that the FBI are involved and presumably the owners of the mailboxes would be cooperative, this doesn't seem beyond the bounds of possibility.

The other thing is that what I can easily prove and what Biden's campaign can easily prove are very different things. I could not afford to get any lawyers, or computer forensics people involved, ISPs are unlikely to go out of their way to help me and the FBI are unlikely to care.

One weird thing in all of this is the number of rich important people using what look like free/generic email services for their business. Biden is using iCloud, somebody else is using Nazent. Is this the email equivalent of a burner phone?

One of the companies that supposedly sent him a dodgy email was j2cr. They are an international legal consultancy based in DC. I would hope that they have a legally compliant and auditable email system capable of demonstrating that they did or didn't send an email.

If these emails aren't genuine, it shouldn't be hard for them to prove. It may well not be the strategic moment to do that yet.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics