ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 18th October 2020, 11:00 PM   #201
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I don't know -- but now maybe you can understand my impression that a lot of people will **** it up and have their votes discarded.
I think a lot of people just don't bother to read the directions very carefully and some people just don't read very well.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 12:52 AM   #202
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
"The Christmas season will be canceled" -- Trump says Biden will cancel Christmas, completely bizarre

"If somebody is making $10 million for blocking, or $25 million for throwing, and they say what a horrible country we're living, we can't do that" -- Trump is back to attacking uppity NFL players for not respecting the flag and the anthem
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That's been a Fox News thing for like 15 years now!
Yes. They’ve always planned to terminate Christmas, but this year it is going to be terminated with extreme prejudice.
Old 19th October 2020, 12:53 AM   #203
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

“ Sometimes they say they are too good.”

What does that even mean?
Old 19th October 2020, 12:59 AM   #204
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

They're taking "real" Americans' jobs.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 01:06 AM   #205
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
They're taking "real" Americans' jobs.
Possibly.

I think it's more likely that words just spill out of President Trump's mouth in a stream of consciousness fashion. He started on a theme, "Hispanics good", and then continued riffing on that theme until, as usual, what he was saying no longer made sense.

It's something he does all the time when speaking off the cuff and his supporters seem to love it. He doesn't sound like a politician.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 01:19 AM   #206
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Possibly.

I think it's more likely that words just spill out of President Trump's mouth in a stream of consciousness fashion. He started on a theme, "Hispanics good", and then continued riffing on that theme until, as usual, what he was saying no longer made sense.

It's something he does all the time when speaking off the cuff and his supporters seem to love it. He doesn't sound like a politician.
More likely a Freudian slip from President Bigly Mouth.
Old 19th October 2020, 02:35 AM   #207
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Wait a sec...

What's Donny Two-Weeks (that's all he has left) doing in California if they all hate him? Come to teach people how to rake the forest floors or something?
Last night he said "I don't know why we wouldn't win California. We're playing it a little bit."

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 19th October 2020 at 02:36 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 02:50 AM   #208
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Last night he said "I don't know why we wouldn't win California. We're playing it a little bit."
I wonder if he's going to claim that losing the popular ballot in any state will be clear evidence of vote fraud ?

He contested California, didn't win, the only possible explanation is large scale voter fraud. With the California GOP doing whatever they're doing with their own "official" ballot boxes, maybe he'll use that as evidence.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 02:59 AM   #209
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Trump in San Jose, California, June 2, 2016: "I’m not even talking about landslides, but I think we can win the state of California and win it pretty substantially. Now, I’ve been told by all these geniuses, all these brilliant guys — they all say you can’t win the state of California. I think we can.”

Sometimes it's not e3 chess, it's just Trump recycling the same BS.
Old 19th October 2020, 03:51 AM   #210
RolandRat
Muse

“If you vote for Biden, he will surrender your jobs to China. He will surrender your future to the virus. He’s going to lock down, he’s going to want us to lock down,” Trump said.

“He’ll listen to the scientists,” Trump continued. “If I listened totally to the scientists, we would right now have a country that would be in a massive depression, instead of, we’re like a rocket ship. Take a look at the numbers.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...?ocid=msedgntp

Would that be a soopa doopa rocket ship?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 04:04 AM   #211
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
“If you vote for Biden, he will surrender your jobs to China. He will surrender your future to the virus. He’s going to lock down, he’s going to want us to lock down,” Trump said.

“He’ll listen to the scientists,” Trump continued. “If I listened totally to the scientists, we would right now have a country that would be in a massive depression, instead of, we’re like a rocket ship. Take a look at the numbers.”

Breaking News!! Trump Endorses Biden! "He'll listen to the scientists", says Trump.
Old 19th October 2020, 06:15 AM   #212
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Am I the only one planning to just go in person to vote?
No. I have the day off and I will stand in line however long it takes to vote. I want there to be at least one Democrat in my heavily Republican town who shows up in person. I also want to see if any Trump goons try to cause trouble.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 06:17 AM   #213
shemp

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I think a lot of people just don't bother to read the directions very carefully and some people just don't read very well.
I think a lot of people of all political persuasions are idiots who are incapable of following simple instructions.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 06:25 AM   #214
Monza
Alta Viro

I am. I live in Pennsylvania so I want to do my part to prop up the in-person voting numbers.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 06:29 AM   #215
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

My absentee vote is already in and counted. Next weekend my wife is going to go early vote in person. I'll probably go with her just to see how bad it is as far as lines and troublemakers.
Old 19th October 2020, 06:32 AM   #216
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=shemp;13262269]I think a lot of people of all political persuasions are idiots who are incapable of following simple instructions./QUOTE]

I know what you mean.

Last edited by Agatha; 26th October 2020 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Edit reverted
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 06:32 AM   #217
RolandRat
Muse

"Donald Trump has suggested that his administration’s actions on dishwasher pressure meant women supported him.

Without providing details on policy, the US president told supporters on Sunday that “the women come up to me, the women they say dont like me, they actually do like me a lot”.

And that, said the Republican candidate, was because he “freed up” dishwashers to dispense more water.

“So, you go into a hotel or you buy a house, and they have what's called a restrictor,” he told supporters in Nevada. “[The] same thing with your dishwasher, I freed that up too.”

Mr Trump complained last November that women told him about so-called broken dishwashers, and that he would move to amend regulations in a pitch to American voters."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...?ocid=msedgdhp

Well.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 06:37 AM   #218
shemp

"Donald Trump has suggested that his administration’s actions on dishwasher pressure meant women supported him.

Without providing details on policy, the US president told supporters on Sunday that “the women come up to me, the women they say dont like me, they actually do like me a lot”.

And that, said the Republican candidate, was because he “freed up” dishwashers to dispense more water.

“So, you go into a hotel or you buy a house, and they have what's called a restrictor,” he told supporters in Nevada. “[The] same thing with your dishwasher, I freed that up too.”

Mr Trump complained last November that women told him about so-called broken dishwashers, and that he would move to amend regulations in a pitch to American voters."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...?ocid=msedgdhp

Well.
The Dishwasher Issue will win the election!
Old 19th October 2020, 06:37 AM   #219
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

"The Christmas season will be canceled" -- Trump says Biden will cancel Christmas, completely bizarre
As noted by others, Fox has fearmongered about the liberal War on Christmas for quite a while, now.

Trump, of course, looks like he has personally done dramatically more damage to Christmas celebrations than those liberals have done, combined.

To poke at a different Trump quote, though...

Quote:

There's nowhere good that could possibly be headed.

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
The whole Trump crew is nuts.

"Donald Trump's reelection campaign accused Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer of "encouraging assassination attempts" targeting the president on Sunday afternoon, amid escalating conflict between the two political leaders."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp
"I'm rubber, you're glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you."

Had my mail-in ballot not arrived by now, I would have been. It did, though, and I triple checked that I was following all the instructions, as it was, and personally delivered it a day or two after I got it.

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Breaking News!! Trump Endorses Biden! "He'll listen to the scientists", says Trump.
Biden actually responded to that.

His response?

Quote:
...yes
To poke at some other things...

QAnon is a Nazi Cult, Rebranded

Quote:
A secret cabal is taking over the world. They kidnap children, slaughter, and eat them to gain power from their blood. They control high positions in government, banks, international finance, the news media, and the church. They want to disarm the police. They promote homosexuality and pedophilia. They plan to mongrelize the white race so it will lose its essential power.

Does this conspiracy theory sound familiar? It is. The same narrative has been repackaged by QAnon.
There's more, of course, but it's very probably worth spreading around for the innoculation effect.

Moving on... here's a Lincoln Project ad that talks about how Trump has drained the Swamp. Just not the swamp that one would usually think of there.

In good news - Judge slaps down Trump's cruel plan to deprive 700,000 people of Food Stamps during the pandemic
Old 19th October 2020, 06:40 AM   #220
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
I am. I live in Pennsylvania so I want to do my part to prop up the in-person voting numbers.
I live in Philly, I'm voting in person because I don't really trust the state to handle such a large number of absentee ballots on their first year of issuing them for any reason. At least not without stressing me out. I don't want to keep checking to see if my absentee request was received, ballot sent, and ballot received. I'll take the 5 or 10 minutes to walk around the corner to my polling location and vote there. There's never a line and I work from home, so I can go whenever.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 07:19 AM   #221
carlosy
Critical Thinker

He’ll listen to the scientists,” Trump continued. “If I listened totally to the scientists, we would right now have a country that would be in a massive depression, instead of, we’re like a rocket ship. Take a look at the numbers.”

Holy ****, this Biden guy will listen to scientists?

That's enough. I'm going to vote for total crazy idiot Trump.
Damn, these science guys are everywhere.
God, help me...
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 07:21 AM   #222
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The sad part is "Biden listens to scientists" will be seen as a mark against him by many.

"Anti-intellectualism" is a big base to pander to.

Trump might have overplayed the hand by saying it so directly, this message works better when the text is the subtext, but it's still a popular opinion.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 19th October 2020 at 07:34 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 07:26 AM   #223
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
I live in Philly, I'm voting in person because I don't really trust the state to handle such a large number of absentee ballots on their first year of issuing them for any reason. At least not without stressing me out. I don't want to keep checking to see if my absentee request was received, ballot sent, and ballot received. I'll take the 5 or 10 minutes to walk around the corner to my polling location and vote there. There's never a line and I work from home, so I can go whenever.
I'm in a satellite town of Philly and I am also wary of the state's ability to handle this many votes by mail with so little preperation (thanks to the GOP!). They've already gotten courts to reject 100,000 mail-in ballots and other mailings have been delayed.

So since my town is small, the polling place not terribly far away, and being self-employed I can give myself whatever time I need to get to the polling place and vote. Not everyone has this luxury.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 07:33 AM   #224
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The sad part is "Biden listens to scientist" will be see as a mark against him by many.

"Anti-intellectualism" is a big base to pander to.

Trump might have overplayed the hand by saying it so directly, this message works better when the text is the subtext, but it's still a popular opinion.
In NY01, Lee Zeldin is running against challenger Nancy Goroff. Goroff has been a chemistry professor at Stoney Brook for more than 20 years, and has carried out research on nanomaterials, with more than 100 publications in peer reviewed science journals. Lee Zeldin is a climate change denier.

In a recent interview, Zeldin asserted that he has done more to advance science than his opponent.

The claim that Al Gore invented the internet has more basis in fact.

Real expertise means nothing to them.

****Disclaimer: I know Nancy Goroff very well both professionally, as a scientist, and personally, as a friend.
Old 19th October 2020, 07:34 AM   #225
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Mrs. Kcin and I will be joining you in that regard.

So that's three.
Old 19th October 2020, 07:34 AM   #226
shemp

As I said previously, I have Election Day off so I'm going to the polls and voting in person. I want to see if it turns into a **** show of idiots harassing people. But I actually have taken the entire week as a staycation. I have vacation time I need to burn, and it's also a precaution, in case things get crazy in the days after the election I'd like to sit and watch and drink the troubles away! Also in case Trump wins and I lose my marbles.
Old 19th October 2020, 07:35 AM   #227
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Mrs. Kcin and I will be joining you in that regard.

So that's three.
I did it 2 weeks ago
Old 19th October 2020, 07:38 AM   #228
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
As I said previously, I have Election Day off so I'm going to the polls and voting in person. I want to see if it turns into a **** show of idiots harassing people. But I actually have taken the entire week as a staycation. I have vacation time I need to burn, and it's also a precaution, in case things get crazy in the days after the election I'd like to sit and watch and drink the troubles away! Also in case Trump wins and I lose my marbles.

vote first, THEN get into a fight with armed MAGA madmen.
Old 19th October 2020, 07:40 AM   #229
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I did it 2 weeks ago
"Do that Trump? I'm not a comic book villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my masterstroke to you if there were even the slightest possibility you could affect the outcome? I did it two weeks ago."
Old 19th October 2020, 07:43 AM   #230
shemp

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
vote first, THEN get into a fight with armed MAGA madmen.
That sounds like a good idea! I'll just... hey wait a minute! I think you're trying to get me bumped off!
Old 19th October 2020, 07:45 AM   #231
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
He'd absolutely welcome Trump...and then Putin and his buddies would proceed to strip Trump clean of every asset. It would be hilarious!
Jokes on them!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 08:02 AM   #232
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Do you deliberately adopt the most pessimistic outlook possible to cushion the blow when the nightmare scenario arrives?
That's probably what I'm doing, indeed.
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I can't remember if I posted it here but here goes:

1. It says you need a witness signature on one of the envelopes, but that is negated on a separate piece of paper. Some people won't realize that they don't need a Witness signature, and will discard it because they'd think they need to get one and can't.
Our ballot envelopes DO have a place for a witness signature, but it's only to be used when the voter is unable to sign their name.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Wait a sec...

What's Donny Two-Weeks (that's all he has left) doing in California if they all hate him? Come to teach people how to rake the forest floors or something?
Unfortunately, he's got lots more than two-weeks left. January 20 at a minimum. He and his party are capable of doing a great deal of harm in that time.
Not an option in my state.
Old 19th October 2020, 08:03 AM   #233
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
I'm in a satellite town of Philly and I am also wary of the state's ability to handle this many votes by mail with so little preperation (thanks to the GOP!). They've already gotten courts to reject 100,000 mail-in ballots and other mailings have been delayed.
What 100,000 mail in ballots were rejected?

I know of there being like 100,000 absentee ballot REQUESTS being rejected, but they were mostly because people had requested them multiple times. For example, when they requested them for the primary, they didn't realize they asked ticked the box to get them for EVERY election going forward.

And I know of a court case that settled the thing about naked ballots being able to be rejected, but at the time that happened, we hadn't started mail in voting yet.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 08:08 AM   #234
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Unfortunately, he's got lots more than two-weeks left. January 20 at a minimum. He and his party are capable of doing a great deal of harm in that time.
I really hope the Lame Duck period is another thing the gets addressed in the broader push for voting reform.

You don't need people with nothing to lose in power for almost two months. A week or two prep/turnover time is more than enough (and plenty of comparable Western Style Democracies don't have that, just a simple "You had it, I got it"). There's no reason for a defeated Trump to still be President after Christmas.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 19th October 2020 at 08:36 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 08:32 AM   #235
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Maggie Haberman
@maggieNYT

"People are tired of covid," the president said. "People are tired of hearing Fauci and all these idiots... Fauci's a nice guy, he's been here for 500 years...wonderful sage telling us..."

"If there's a reporter on, you can have it just the way I said it, I couldn't care less," Trump says.

"My people are doing a great job," says Trump, who also said if asked two weeks ago he might not have said he was going to win (he said two weeks ago he was going to win).

"Don't feel sorry for me, don't say, 'How the hell does he do it?'" Trump says of his schedule.

Trump says every time Fauci goes on TV it's a "bomb," but it's a "bigger bomb if you fire him."
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 08:35 AM   #236
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
What 100,000 mail in ballots were rejected?

I know of there being like 100,000 absentee ballot REQUESTS being rejected, but they were mostly because people had requested them multiple times. For example, when they requested them for the primary, they didn't realize they asked ticked the box to get them for EVERY election going forward.

And I know of a court case that settled the thing about naked ballots being able to be rejected, but at the time that happened, we hadn't started mail in voting yet.
The so called 'naked ballots'.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...a-redux-420275

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 08:53 AM   #237
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Do you think Bill Barr is dead?

Not a peep for days and days!
Old 19th October 2020, 09:09 AM   #238
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.defense.gov/observe/phot...to/2001134622/

This is the drawing room of the VP's residence during the Christmas season in 2014. This really doesn't look much like the front room of someone planning to cancel Christmas.
Old 19th October 2020, 09:11 AM   #239
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Do you think Bill Barr is dead?

Not a peep for days and days!
He's probably got his hands full with trying to placate the president while dealing with a corps of US Attorneys in open rebellion.
Old 19th October 2020, 09:12 AM   #240
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
https://www.defense.gov/observe/phot...to/2001134622/

This is the drawing room of the VP's residence during the Christmas season in 2014. This really doesn't look much like the front room of someone planning to cancel Christmas.
Do you see DA BABEY JEEZUS in that picture? Do you?

Then it's not Christmas. It's some hippie "Happy Holiday" multicultural Kwanzaa Hanukkah Winter Solstice celebration.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics