ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 19th October 2020, 04:50 PM   #281
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

What's even scarier than Trump's nonsensical ramblings are that there are so many idiots who nod, clap and cheer for him when he says them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 04:52 PM   #282
Worm
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump says
"I call the head of Exxon. I'll use a company. 'How, how are you doing, how's energy coming? When are you doing the exploration? Oh, you need a couple of permits, huh?' But I call the head of Exxon, I say, 'you know, I'd love you to send me $25m for the campaign'"
And Exxon have already disavowed that sentiment on Twitter. Along the lines of "Such a call never took place"

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 05:00 PM   #283
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Trump
I don't know why we wouldn't win California.“
OK, that is a really weird thing to say.
President Trump is actually telling the truth right there.
Old 19th October 2020, 05:00 PM   #284
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
The sheer and utter disregard for science will one day come back and bite the Republicans on their collective ass. Intelligent design and all that bullcrap is silly, sure, but the climate denial **** mixed with killing hundreds of thousands of Americans due to the doubt-casting on scientific minds that are trying to save lives will never age well. Trump is an evil, evil man.
What I want to know is was this leaked with Trump's Blessing, or it a Legit Leak?
If Trump think this will help him, then he hhas lost any sanity he had about his reelection. He needs to convince Indies and Swingvoters to vote for him, this will just drive more away.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 05:01 PM   #285
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
And Exxon have already disavowed that sentiment on Twitter. Along the lines of "Such a call never took place"
Their exact quote: "We are aware of the President’s statement regarding a hypothetical call with our CEO…and just so we’re all clear, it never happened."

As Jim Wright just put it: "When Exxon is the good guy in the story... there aren't any good guys."

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 05:04 PM   #286
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Just as a matter of course when this comes up, I think that it's worth directly pointing out that Al Gore didn't claim that.
That's why I even said it was less legitimate than the CLAIM that Al Gore invented the internet. Considering that Al Gore never even said that, the claim that Al Gore invented the internet is still more valid than the claim that Lee Zeldin has done more to advance science than his opponent.
Old 19th October 2020, 05:06 PM   #287
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump
I don't know why we wouldn't win California.“
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
He WILL win California, after the Scrotus throws out all the illegal mail-in illegal alien mail-in ballots!
Old 19th October 2020, 05:12 PM   #288
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Just as a
Reminds me of a comparison. Our choice is pretty much Thanos vs Mr. Rogers.
I see him more as Thanos with the Sociopathy Gem and the Idiocy Gem.
Old 19th October 2020, 05:21 PM   #289
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
How about, after he loses the election and gets convicted of whatever, we give him a rake, send him to California and tell him to get with it? He can be released after he finishes raking every square mile of forest floor in California.
I'd be fair about it. He's always been an east coast guy... I'd only make him work the Federal lands.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 05:27 PM   #290
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

RAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 05:33 PM   #291
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He WILL win California, after the Scrotus throws out all the illegal mail-in illegal alien mail-in ballots!
Plausible, but if you keep reposting this... you're gonna owe Minoosh a Xanax scrip.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 05:47 PM   #292
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
What I want to know is was this leaked with Trump's Blessing, or it a Legit Leak?
If Trump think this will help him, then he hhas lost any sanity he had about his reelection. He needs to convince Indies and Swingvoters to vote for him, this will just drive more away.
He knew that members of the media were likely on the call. At one point, he even says something like go ahead and quote me, I don't care.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 05:54 PM   #293
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
RAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
LAWN ORDER
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 06:01 PM   #294
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

I see him more as Thanos with the Sociopathy Gem and the Idiocy Gem.
Mmm. If you actually want to go deeper into the Trump/Thanos comparison, there are notable differences, of course.

To use the movie version for ease's sake - Thanos actively worked to kill half the life in the universe as his very short term solution to solve a problem that wasn't actually a problem in most of where the solution was applied and caused a heck of a lot more problems that were much worse in many places. Sociopathy and Idiocy seem pretty intrinsic in that, in a rather modern day "conservative" way - empathy for a rather limited set of people and easily obsessed with harmful ideas that would indeed be a direct solution to a specific problem (I'm immediately reminded of the right-wing sentiment that I heard from a number of right-wingers, and only right-wingers, that we should just nuke North Korea and be done with it, which would indeed solve that problem while causing a heck of a lot more, among other things). On the other hand, he tried to apply it "fairly" and, once he accomplished his goal/obsession, he relinquished power entirely and removed himself from the playing field. He was strong, intelligent, dedicated, and arguably selfless, even if he was also sociopathic and was pursuing an idiotic goal.

Very little of that applies to Trump, I think. Trump's actions to try to kill us are in a completely different vein, where the main higher goal is to try to save face and rally support to stay in power.

Last edited by Aridas; 19th October 2020 at 06:08 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 06:17 PM   #295
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
LAWN ORDER
Sen. Grassley approves of this message.
Old 19th October 2020, 06:18 PM   #296
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
He's going to rake the forest floors.
Close. He's trying to rake in the dough.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 06:21 PM   #297
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

That's always been with the problem with Trump. He has zero good qualities.

I think that's missed in a lot of "Is Trump the worst President ever?" discussions or when we get told that we Bush (take your pick) or Reagan shouldn't be remembered more fondly because they compare favorably to Trump.

It's not that exactly. It's that there are absolutely no positives to Trump.

You can argue that Bush, Reagan, Nixons, etc good qualities didn't make up for their bad ones, but at least they had good qualities to put on the scale to be weighed, even if the scale was still laughably lopsided.
Old 19th October 2020, 06:29 PM   #298
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Without providing details on policy, the US president told supporters on Sunday that “the women come up to me, the women they say dont like me, they actually do like me a lot”.
Yeah, sure, Donnie. The Secret Service lets any number of women to come up to you for a chat. Go ahead, pull the other one.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 06:39 PM   #299
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Yeah, sure, Donnie. The Secret Service lets any number of women to come up to you for a chat. Go ahead, pull the other one.
Well, the Secret Service are only human. Can you imagine being around that guy all the time? The temptation must be terrible: "Well, she's carrying a knife in each hand and is frothing at the mouth. I say we give her the benefit of the doubt and let her talk to him alone for a few minutes."
Old 19th October 2020, 06:51 PM   #300
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Tweets

There has never been a time in either of my two Campaigns when I felt we had a stronger chance of winning than we do right now. Early voting reports look far stronger than originally anticipated. Every RALLY is BOFFO.
@MarkMeadows & team are doing a fantastic job..
What does that mean...that the reports were written on 30 lb paper instead of the usual 24 lb?
Old 19th October 2020, 06:54 PM   #301
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Tweets

GREAT news! New government of Sudan, which is making great progress, agreed to pay $335 MILLION to U.S. terror victims and families. Once deposited, I will lift Sudan from the State Sponsors of Terrorism list. At long last, JUSTICE for the American people and BIG step for Sudan!
That's classic Trump. He thinks mere money will make victims of terrorism whole again. **** him and the horse he rode in on.
Old 19th October 2020, 07:06 PM   #302
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post

Without providing details on policy, the US president told supporters on Sunday that “the women come up to me, the women they say dont like me, they actually do like me a lot”.
The perfect example of Trumpism.
Sure the women say they don’t like me, but c’mon. Who’s going to turn down a slice of this.
He is completely ignoring what women say.
He is doing it partly out of having no respect for women and partly because he cannot conceive of any world which lacks all women (even the lesbians) wanting to sleep with him.

Last edited by Ladewig; 19th October 2020 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Fixed grammar and other errors
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 07:12 PM   #303
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump said "People are pandemic'd-out. You know that? They're pandemic'd-out. That's why it's so great what your governor has done. He's opened up your state ... by the way, you get it ... I'm here. And now I'm immune. I can jump into this audience and kiss every man and woman"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 07:18 PM   #304
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump said "People are pandemic'd-out. You know that? They're pandemic'd-out. That's why it's so great what your governor has done. He's opened up your state ... by the way, you get it ... I'm here. And now I'm immune. I can jump into this audience and kiss every man and woman"
Because I received an experimental treatment immediately upon testing positive that YOU won't get that probably saved my life! You won't even know you're sick until you start getting symptoms and you won't get this treatment because you're not the POTUS! SUCKERS!
Old 19th October 2020, 08:06 PM   #305
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Because I received an experimental treatment immediately upon testing positive that YOU won't get that probably saved my life! You won't even know you're sick until you start getting symptoms and you won't get this treatment because you're not the POTUS! SUCKERS!
And they won’t have 12 doctors standing around poking different parts of their bodies. And the each won’t have a surgical suite reserved for only them.

And as for Trump kissing every man and woman in the crowd. I expect him to stop cheating at golf before he puckers up.
Old 19th October 2020, 08:13 PM   #306
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

And they won’t have 12 doctors standing around poking different parts of their bodies. And the each won’t have a surgical suite reserved for only them.

And as for Trump kissing every man and woman in the crowd. I expect him to stop cheating at golf before he puckers up.
With that pucker he could reach them from the podium.
Old 19th October 2020, 08:42 PM   #307
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Plausible, but if you keep reposting this... you're gonna owe Minoosh a Xanax scrip.
Nah, I'll be fine as long as my state legalizes recreational weed
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 08:55 PM   #308
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Nah, I'll be fine as long as my state legalizes recreational weed
Fair enough.
I could walk a couple hundred yards to the Bahama Bud's (just one of a handful of shops in this tiny Oregon town) but I'm one of the unfortunate who gets the hyper-anxiety reaction.

Old 19th October 2020, 11:06 PM   #309
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Their exact quote: "We are aware of the President’s statement regarding a hypothetical call with our CEO…and just so we’re all clear, it never happened."

As Jim Wright just put it: "When Exxon is the good guy in the story... there aren't any good guys."
Given that what this is about is Trump openly bragging about asking Exxon for a bribe, they're not coming out as the good guy, they're just coming out as the Not A Delusional Moron.
Old 20th October 2020, 12:30 AM   #310
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Given that what this is about is Trump openly bragging about asking Exxon for a bribe, they're not coming out as the good guy, they're just coming out as the Not A Delusional Moron.
I suspect it is more along the lines of "SHUT THE **** UP ABOUT THE BRIBES YOU STUPID ******* MORAN!"
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2020, 12:43 AM   #311
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If an infinity of monkeys in infinite time can type Shakespeare's entire works it is only a bit more unlikely that Trump will eventually randomly put words together that say something truthful.
Old 20th October 2020, 03:11 AM   #312
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Governor Cuomo has shown tremendously poor leadership skills in running N.Y. Bad time for him to be writing and promoting a book, especially since he has done such a poor job with Covid and Crime. So many unnecessary deaths. The City & State have sunk to historic lows...

....Washington wants nothing to do with him, and that’s so bad for New York, which has become a ghost town. Andrew spends too much time listening to his brother, Fredo. Forget the books and your apology tour. The Federal Government would love to help New York regain its luster!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2020, 06:23 AM   #313
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Governor Cuomo has shown tremendously poor leadership skills in running N.Y. Bad time for him to be writing and promoting a book, especially since he has done such a poor job with Covid and Crime. So many unnecessary deaths. The City & State have sunk to historic lows...

....Washington wants nothing to do with him, and that’s so bad for New York, which has become a ghost town. Andrew spends too much time listening to his brother, Fredo. Forget the books and your apology tour. The Federal Government would love to help New York regain its luster!
Guhhh, what???
Old 20th October 2020, 06:23 AM   #314
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

This is why I find it extremely unlikely Trump will win in two weeks. In 2016, Trump had a reasonably disciplined strategy going after key swing, Rust Belt states. What's he doing going for New York voters? Biden has a 30 point lead in New York. He needs to focus on the toss-up states and try to bring back at least one of the lean blue states he won in 2016. He shouldn't be wasting a single tweet or throw away line on New York. This smacks of desperation.
Old 20th October 2020, 06:28 AM   #315
Armitage72
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

Bad time for him to be writing and promoting a book, especially since he has done such a poor job with Covid and Crime.

As opposed to all of his cronies and sycophants whose books he regularly promotes on Twitter.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2020, 07:39 AM   #316
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
This is why I find it extremely unlikely Trump will win in two weeks. In 2016, Trump had a reasonably disciplined strategy going after key swing, Rust Belt states. What's he doing going for New York voters? Biden has a 30 point lead in New York. He needs to focus on the toss-up states and try to bring back at least one of the lean blue states he won in 2016. He shouldn't be wasting a single tweet or throw away line on New York. This smacks of desperation.
For a normal person, that would sound like desperation.
But we should note three things

First, Trump’s philosophy has always been, “ as everybody goes through life, one needs to stop and insult the people and things that you hate. I don’t want to be one of those people who sit on death beds and say ‘I wish I spent more time telling the people I hate exactly how much I hated them”.’

2. In MAGAland, you can never go wrong insulting New York.

(C) as Trump’s mind ossifies, he becomes less creative. So, when he needs an insult he simply picks one that has been leveled at him. I think I read somewhere that this idea is part of a plan that is code-named Project Ion.

Last edited by Ladewig; 20th October 2020 at 07:52 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2020, 08:45 AM   #317
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
This assumes that Trump tweets have to do with anything but ranting about the last thing he saw on TV.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2020, 11:45 AM   #318
dirtywick
Master Poster

Is it weird that lately he's repeatedly talking about kissing men?
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2020, 12:19 PM   #319
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
Is it weird that lately he's repeatedly talking about kissing men?
I've heard he may be biohazard-curious.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2020, 01:01 PM   #320
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

@realDonaldTrump
Lesley Stahl of 60 Minutes not wearing a mask in the White House after her interview with me. Much more to come.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics