IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , Kamala Harris

Old 13th November 2020, 03:28 PM   #161
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Sounds like you do not know that marxist ideas began appearing in colleges in the late 70s, and have been multiplying to this day.

Today, on those campuses where free speech is most under attack, professors and students plainly state that they are marxists.

Most people are still unware of any of this.

Another example is BLM founder Patrisse Cullors stating "We are Marxists", in this 36 second video

Did Armitage 72's sources inform him that Patrisse Cullors said "We are Marxists"??
Absolute total ignorance. The GOP has been claiming this since the 1920s. And clearly you have forgotten Tailgunner Joe who made similar claims in the 1950s. He basically accused everyone he didnt care for to be a Marxist.

But yes, I was taught Marx in college. I also was taught Adam Smith and FDR's New Deal and John Maynard Keynes

A degree in Economics or Political Science would be incomplete without learning about Marx. And the fact is some of what Marx wrote was very right and some of it was very wrong.
Old 13th November 2020, 03:40 PM   #162
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Sounds like you do not know that marxist ideas began appearing in colleges in the late 70s, and have been multiplying to this day.
Hilarious!!! Bubba hasn't heard of the McCarthy period where right wingers hunted down communists in USA universities.

In 1953, the search for Communists extended to Harvard. The University, acting on a long tradition of academic freedom, held firm against the general craze to find subversive scapegoats and against the particular abuses of Senator McCarthy. V
https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1...-mccarthy-era/

Perhaps Bubba is also forgetting why actors like Humphrey Bogart were black banned by right wingers in the 1950s.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 03:49 PM   #163
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Hilarious!!! Bubba hasn't heard of the McCarthy period where right wingers hunted down communists in USA universities.

In 1953, the search for Communists extended to Harvard. The University, acting on a long tradition of academic freedom, held firm against the general craze to find subversive scapegoats and against the particular abuses of Senator McCarthy. V
https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1...-mccarthy-era/

Perhaps Bubba is also forgetting why actors like Humphrey Bogart were black banned by right wingers in the 1950s.
The GOP called FDR a " Marxist" for his New Deal policies.
Old 13th November 2020, 06:13 PM   #164
Bubba
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Absolute total ignorance. The GOP has been claiming this since the 1920s. And clearly you have forgotten Tailgunner Joe who made similar claims in the 1950s. He basically accused everyone he didnt care for to be a Marxist.

But yes, I was taught Marx in college. I also was taught Adam Smith and FDR's New Deal and John Maynard Keynes

A degree in Economics or Political Science would be incomplete without learning about Marx.

Thats not it. In your day, were there avowed marxist professors indoctrinating students?

They are indoctrinating kids just out of high school.

Sounds crazy, right?

The trailer for No Safe Spaces is just 3 minutes long.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 06:28 PM   #165
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You know who else hunted down Marxists?

Hitler.

Let's see a show of hands of everyone here who went to university and didn't come out a Marxist. I'll go first.

What right wingers call 'indoctrination' others call "a broad education".

Last edited by Stacyhs; 13th November 2020 at 06:30 PM.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 06:40 PM   #166
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Thats not it. In your day, were there avowed marxist professors indoctrinating students?

Sounds crazy, right?

ROFLMAO

My professors weren't Marxists. I don't need to watch some moron with an agenda claiming they were. My Macroeconomics professor worked on Wall Street for a dozen years. My accounting professor was a partner at a Big Eight accounting firm. One of my history professors served in the maines for a dozen years.

Also, being open to trade unions, minimum wage, Social Security, progressive income taxes Universal Health Insurance, the UBI or the need for a social safety net doesn't make one a Marxist.

Or does it in your mind?
Old 13th November 2020, 06:43 PM   #167
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So, Bubba....what university were you indoctrinated at? Trump U?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 06:46 PM   #168
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You know who else hunted down Marxists?

Hitler.

Let's see a show of hands of everyone here who went to university and didn't come out a Marxist. I'll go first.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...f32b129b72.jpg

What right wingers call 'indoctrination' others call "a broad education".
Is it indoctrination when I was taught both Karl Marx and Adam Smith?

Hell, if anything, my economics professor was a free market fanatic. But he still taught us about Karl Marx and Communism as well as other economics theories.
Old 13th November 2020, 06:48 PM   #169
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Is it indoctrination when I was taught both Karl Marx and Adam Smith?

Hell, if anything, my economics professor was a free market fanatic. But he still taught us about Karl Marx and Communism as well as other economics theories.
Nope. It was called "education". I don't know why right wingers are so afraid of being exposed to ideas different from theirs. Insecurity?

ETA: To be fair, I find that the more extreme/on the fringe in either direction someone is...left or right...the less open to others' views or ideas they are.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 13th November 2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 13th November 2020, 06:48 PM   #170
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

My thesis advisor was a radical feminist, poet-in-residence and even she wasn't a Marxist.

"I like my stuff," she said out loud.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020

Last edited by Resume; 13th November 2020 at 06:50 PM.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 07:04 PM   #171
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

The "peaceful" rioters and arsonists Biden hardly disavowed will erupt with a vengeance if they lose their dream of controlling you and I via an outright left-wing authoritarian state
Ah yes, the hordes of wannabe Stalins that exist only in your head.

OTOH the "peaceful" thugs and murderers Trump didn't disavow will erupt with a vengeance whine and whimper when they lose their dreams of controlling us via a right-wing religious state.
Old 13th November 2020, 07:10 PM   #172
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

So, Bubba....what university were you indoctrinated at? Trump U?
I'm guessing, from the frequency of his cites to it, YouTube U. Which makes it kind of ironic that he's accusing people* who spent years in college learning stuff in detail of being indoctrinated, when he keeps offering slanted YouBoob videos that are like five minutes long which are definitely not lame little snippets of attempted indoctrination.

*Not including me. Graduated high school 1975 (go Commodores), never went to college. So I guess at least I escaped all that long-haired CommieLib brainwashing stuff. Well, maybe not the "long-haired" part- that just kind of went with the mid-70's territory.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 07:15 PM   #173
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Tailgunner Bubba.

George Will on
June 1, 2020
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 07:22 PM   #174
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Speaking og Biden and Television;remember his cameo in "Parks and Recreation?".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 08:12 PM   #175
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Again Bubba, like I asked in another thread that you ran away from decided not to answer, even if they are Marxists, so what? Why is that so terrible and dangerous?

They for example thought that slavery was perfectly fine, absolutely OK, and then they didn't and what is the point of the Catholic Church if it says "Oh we couldn't know better because no one else did" THEN WHAT ARE YOU FOR? - Stephen Fry
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 08:23 PM   #176
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Again Bubba, like I asked in another thread that you ran away from decided not to answer, even if they are Marxists, so what? Why is that so terrible and dangerous?
Better still, Bubba might offer his own definitions of Marxist and Marxisms, because he keeps using those words . . .

George Will on
June 1, 2020
Old 13th November 2020, 08:28 PM   #177
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Better still, Bubba might offer his own definitions of Marxist and Marxisms, because he keeps using those words . . .
It's just a label that he flings. I'd bet if he couldn't look it up he would have no idea what the name of Marx's Economics treatise waa called let alone any of the details in it.
Old 13th November 2020, 08:30 PM   #178
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I'm not a Marxist (although I might be the closest thing this forum has to one, apparently) and I think the concepts he proposed were way too nebulous to act upon, but I fail to see why Marxism is scary. I get why Stalinism would be scary. I get why Fascism would be scary. Not Marxism though.

They for example thought that slavery was perfectly fine, absolutely OK, and then they didn't and what is the point of the Catholic Church if it says "Oh we couldn't know better because no one else did" THEN WHAT ARE YOU FOR? - Stephen Fry
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 08:58 PM   #179
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Even without the Senate, what Biden has a lot going for him:

- loyal, highly motivated and very qualified staff
- a Congress eager to pass pretty much anything, after the total blockade of Mitch for nearly a decade
- a long list of problems the 45 presidency brought to light
Old 13th November 2020, 09:09 PM   #180
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Even without the Senate, what Biden has a lot going for him:

- loyal, highly motivated and very qualified staff
- a Congress eager to pass pretty much anything, after the total blockade of Mitch for nearly a decade
- a long list of problems the 45 presidency brought to light
He also knows pretty much personally all the GOP Senators and was well liked.
Old 13th November 2020, 09:40 PM   #181
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

He also knows pretty much personally all the GOP Senators and was well liked.
he should make sure they understand that if they don't deal with him, soon they will have to deal with AOC.
Old 13th November 2020, 09:51 PM   #182
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
I'm guessing, from the frequency of his cites to it, YouTube U. Which makes it kind of ironic that he's accusing people* who spent years in college learning stuff in detail of being indoctrinated, when he keeps offering slanted YouBoob videos that are like five minutes long which are definitely not lame little snippets of attempted indoctrination.

*Not including me. Graduated high school 1975 (go Commodores), never went to college. So I guess at least I escaped all that long-haired CommieLib brainwashing stuff. Well, maybe not the "long-haired" part- that just kind of went with the mid-70's territory.
Maybe not formally educated in "higher learning", but I find you one of the most intelligent and sensible posters on here. You are certainly far more intelligent than Donald Trump for all his bragging of having attended the undergrad Wharton School at the U of PA.
Old 13th November 2020, 09:55 PM   #183
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Speaking og Biden and Television;remember his cameo in "Parks and Recreation?".
I didn't see it, but I do remember Trump's stirring rendition of "Green Acres".

https://www.emmys.com/video/donald-t...res-emmys-2006
Old 14th November 2020, 06:56 AM   #184
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Maybe not formally educated in "higher learning", but I find you one of the most intelligent and sensible posters on here. You are certainly far more intelligent than Donald Trump for all his bragging of having attended the undergrad Wharton School at the U of PA.
Why, thank you, ma'am.

Why, thank you, ma'am.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 07:18 AM   #185
surrogate
Critical Thinker

Woefully miscast as Oliver, should have played Arnold.
surrogate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 11:30 AM   #186
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Some individuals, faced with unpalatable realities,
Construct pseudo-universes in which they
Have room to fantasize,
Incoherently but satisfyingly, and
Zealously, on topics which, if they could be
Objective, would reveal the infantalism of their desires.
This is a forum on politics, not religion.

ETA: But I love the poetry of it.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 11:35 AM   #187
Paul2
Philosopher

Sounds crazy, right?

There is an un-liberal trend on campuses today concerning free speech, safe spaces, trigger warnings, de-platforming, and the like. But the classic liberal philosophy that rigorously defends free speech and the like is also rigorously against just about everything the Trump administration stood for.

So any attempt to divide the political world into only two camps, which must both be either all good or all evil, has only one failing: it doesn't match reality.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 11:36 AM   #188
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
I'm not a Marxist (although I might be the closest thing this forum has to one, apparently) and I think the concepts he proposed were way too nebulous to act upon, but I fail to see why Marxism is scary. I get why Stalinism would be scary. I get why Fascism would be scary. Not Marxism though.
Marxism makes Jesus cry.

Old 14th November 2020, 11:38 AM   #189
Paul2
Philosopher

Main processor failure. Can not compute. . . compute . . . compute . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Old 14th November 2020, 12:30 PM   #190
Bubba
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
There is an un-liberal trend on campuses today concerning free speech, safe spaces, trigger warnings, de-platforming, and the like. ]

Thats it.

Its being called cultural marxism. Its defenders cry 'no such thing'. They say things like "Nonsense, We all studied Marx in economics class"

It is real. It did not happen by itself. Certain professors are now indoctrinating, not teaching. It is growing and each year that graduates enter media, politics, and corporations. They are everywhere college graduates go to work. Let that sink in.

It is a sea cultural change. Consider Gilette's 'woke' item (TV commercial) about "toxic masculinity", for example. It cannot be denied. The fact that this sea change is being denied is another problem, and telling.

Quote:
But the classic liberal philosophy that rigorously defends free speech and the like

The classic liberal philosophy that rigorously defends free speech and the like is under growing attacks on college campuses, and now in the streets. Colleges traditionally were the place free speech was cherished, for the exchange of ideas, and weeding out bad ideas. That is dying on campus today.

The trend you point out is destroying free speech. Concerned professors are documenting the "trend". One prof told Bill Maher it was in the eighties that he first noticed the trend, where students and staff began observing "politically correct" speech limitations. Now they are rioting on campus to suppress speech. The trend you point out is a bit more than a trend. It is multiplying.

Another variant product of this: Footage of diners being attacked by a violent mob for remaining silent rather than saying "Black Lives Matter". Did the MSM show you that?

This bigger trend, as you put it, cannot be denied. "No Safe Spaces" is the first documentary exposing this threat, AFAIK.

How did this begin? Who started it? From where did it come??

Last edited by Bubba; 14th November 2020 at 12:32 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 12:39 PM   #191
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Thats it.

Its being called cultural marxism. Its defenders cry 'no such thing'. They say things like "Nonsense, We all studied Marx in economics class"

It is real. It did not happen by itself. Certain professors are now indoctrinating, not teaching. It is growing and each year that graduates enter media, politics, and corporations. They are everywhere college graduates go to work. Let that sink in.

It is a sea cultural change. Consider Gilette's 'woke' item (TV commercial) about "toxic masculinity", for example. It cannot be denied. The fact that this sea change is being denied is another problem, and telling.

The classic liberal philosophy that rigorously defends free speech and the like is under growing attacks on college campuses, and now in the streets. Colleges traditionally were the place free speech was cherished, for the exchange of ideas, and weeding out bad ideas. That is dying on campus today.

The trend you point out is destroying free speech. Concerned professors are documenting the "trend". One prof told Bill Maher it was in the eighties that he first noticed the trend, where students and staff began observing "politically correct" speech limitations. Now they are rioting on campus to suppress speech. The trend you point out is a bit more than a trend. It is multiplying.

Another variant product of this: Footage of diners being attacked by a violent mob for remaining silent rather than saying "Black Lives Matter". Did the MSM show you that?

This bigger trend, as you put it, cannot be denied. "No Safe Spaces" is the first documentary exposing this threat, AFAIK.

You flat out don't know what you're talking about.

Now, I can't blame you for your ignorance. I mean if I never attended University I might believe some whacko's video about the experience too.

No scratch that. I'm not that gullible.
Old 14th November 2020, 12:48 PM   #192
Paul2
Philosopher

Thats it.

You didn't reply to the rest of my post:
There is an un-liberal trend on campuses today concerning free speech, safe spaces, trigger warnings, de-platforming, and the like. But the classic liberal philosophy that rigorously defends free speech and the like is also rigorously against just about everything the Trump administration stood for.

So any attempt to divide the political world into only two camps, which must both be either all good or all evil, has only one failing: it doesn't match reality.

Old 14th November 2020, 01:14 PM   #193
Bubba
Illuminator

You didn't reply to the rest of my post:
So? Selective replying is the norm around here.

(you didn't reply to my reply to your post...I asked how the trend began)

Here is the rest of your post

Quote:
by Paul2 View Post

Examples?

Quote:
True, maybe is why our political world got mostly divided into two camps....way easier to divide and conquer.
Old 14th November 2020, 01:26 PM   #194
Paul2
Philosopher

Examples?
Any classic liberal, just about by definition. The ones I currently like are Jerry Coyne, Steven Pinker, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, the 3 remaining New Atheists.
True, maybe is why our political world got mostly divided into two camps....way easier to divide and conquer.
Did you miss my point? Your post supported this black and white thinking that doesn't reflect the reality of those campus issues aligning with the GOP.

Old 14th November 2020, 01:49 PM   #195
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

The Socialism Indoctrination in Schools starts in preschool.

There is an episode of Family Ties where Andy goes to pre-school. Alex goes to pick him up, and the teacher talks about how everyone loves Andy, and that is so especially kind and helpful to his classmates, and always shares his toys.

Alex grabs Andy and runs out of the room in horror. How dare they indoctrinate kids to SHARE!!! Socialists!!!!
Old 14th November 2020, 03:39 PM   #196
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
The Socialism Indoctrination in Schools starts in preschool.

There is an episode of Family Ties where Andy goes to pre-school. Alex goes to pick him up, and the teacher talks about how everyone loves Andy, and that is so especially kind and helpful to his classmates, and always shares his toys.

Alex grabs Andy and runs out of the room in horror. How dare they indoctrinate kids to SHARE!!! Socialists!!!!

I remember that episode. Classic Alex P. Keaton.
Old 14th November 2020, 07:06 PM   #197
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Its being called cultural marxism.
Bubba is copying this from Ron Paul, who has been thrown out of the Libertarian Party and now hangs with Don Black, the owner of Stormfront White Action Power.

Here is a photo of Ron Paul and Don Black (Stormfront Nazi). The other photos are Ron Paul's Cultural Marxism tweet and a detail of that image.

Ron Paul also accepted political donations from David Duke and the KKK.

Bubba is a supporter of extreme white right wing groups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ron Paul and Don Black.jpg (8.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Ron Paul 2.jpg (75.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Ron Paul 1.jpg (24.0 KB, 103 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 07:11 PM   #198
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Footage of diners being attacked by a violent mob for remaining silent rather than saying "Black Lives Matter". Did the MSM show you that?
So you are saying black people beat up diners if they didn't say "Black lives matter"? Link please
Old 14th November 2020, 11:07 PM   #199
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Bubba is copying this from Ron Paul, who has been thrown out of the Libertarian Party and now hangs with Don Black, the owner of Stormfront White Action Power.

Here is a photo of Ron Paul and Don Black (Stormfront Nazi). The other photos are Ron Paul's Cultural Marxism tweet and a detail of that image.

Ron Paul also accepted political donations from David Duke and the KKK.

Bubba is a supporter of extreme white right wing groups.
I was going to chime in on the simple fact that "Cultural Marxism" is usually thinly-veiled code for "Jewish" as well. But instead, I'll note tgat the Gillette ad he's whining about was basically designed in the wake of conservatives smashing their Keurig coffee makers and setting their Nike gear on fire in response to similar ads, and that the only real point is to get everyone to laugh at the people throwing hissy fits online, and thus amplifying the strength of their advertisements (or lack of advertising in Keurig's case).
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 11:14 PM   #200
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by surrogate View Post
Woefully miscast as Oliver, should have played Arnold.
You take that back! What did Arnold ever do to deserve that insult?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics