ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Reply
Old 8th November 2020, 04:31 PM   #41
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,602
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Someone is trying to make him sound reasonable, or save face, but take a look at that conditional statement.
Yeah stripped of all the fluff it's basically just going "Trump will accept the results of the election if he is given literally no other choice."

Errr... yeah. That's what "given no other choice" means.

"Trump won't contest the election if we don't let him" isn't news or some new angle to look at the situation from.
__________________
No, someone having reality and facts on their side does not mean they have been given an unfair advantage and it is not a bias against you. You're just wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:32 PM   #42
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,566
I wonder if Trump insisted that his aids book him at the Four Seasons no matter what. So then the hotel refused but the aid was so scared he made a venue at Four Seasons happen....
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:33 PM   #43
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 10,244
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah stripped of all the fluff it's basically just going "Trump will accept the results of the election if he is given literally no other choice."

Errr... yeah. That's what "given no other choice" means.

"Trump won't contest the election if we don't let him" isn't news or some new angle to look at the situation from.
Well, yeah, but "we'll capitulate if the Russians take Berlin" is a step back from "we are winning the war".
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:44 PM   #44
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 10,108
To be clear, I will NOT go out with Gal Gadot if she is the last woman on earth.
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 8th November 2020 at 05:02 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:44 PM   #45
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 33,401
Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
Apologies for adding to the tangential posts in this thread, but could we perhaps have a new pillory

Yes, as long as Trump gets first go in it.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:46 PM   #46
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,566
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
To be clear, I will NOT go out with Gal Gadot if she is the last woman on earth.
I wouldn't either. If she showed up at my house in lingerie, I'd turn her away. I want to prove it too. Someone ask her to do that.....
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:48 PM   #47
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,069
Anthony Scaramucci on MSNBC says all the court challenges are a last Trump scam. He'll collect donations to pay for them, but the fine print will allow him to use the money any way he wants. Scaramucci predicts Trump could raise $60 million in the next couple weeks, with no strings.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:51 PM   #48
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,801
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah stripped of all the fluff it's basically just going "Trump will accept the results of the election if he is given literally no other choice."

Errr... yeah. That's what "given no other choice" means.

"Trump won't contest the election if we don't let him" isn't news or some new angle to look at the situation from.
Some glitch is keeping me from linking to a Daily Beast story from a couple of days ago. The headline was, "Trump whines: Why isn't Barr coming to save me?" Trump whining is not news. The analysis within caught my eye though:

Quote:
One factor inhibiting Justice Department intervention is the contradictory strategies pursued by Trump and his supporters in the various states where it suits them. In Georgia, Pennsylvania and Michigan—states where Joe Biden either has taken a lead or where still-unreported counties are expected to favor Biden—the campaign wants the count to stop. But in Arizona, where Trump expects unreported ballots to favor him, Trump supporters have been demanding to proceed with the count.

Intervention at such a fluid time runs the risk of federal courts establishing a rule that would work to the Trump campaign’s disadvantage in a different state. Incoherent legal approaches also risk putting federal judges—as well as Trump appointees to the Supreme Court—in untenable positions that might not yield the result Trump wants
The key word there is "incoherent." I don't think there's going to be a coherent way out of this for Trump because Trump is fundamentally incoherent.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:53 PM   #49
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,005
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I wouldn't either. If she showed up at my house in lingerie, I'd turn her away. I want to prove it too. Someone ask her to do that.....
Lingerie, pah. She could skip it entirely and it would only stiffen my resolve.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:55 PM   #50
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5,127
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
From that link:



Someone is trying to make him sound reasonable, or save face, but take a look at that conditional statement. IF his legal challenges fail THEN he will concede and execute a peaceful transition of power. There's a fallacy there I can't quite put my finger on. IF his legal challenges fail, THEN he has no ******* leg to stand on whatsoever. The statement ... nullifies itself, is the best I can come up with. Or it's a tautology. IF he fails, then he fails. He doesn't have to concede. It's conventional, but it's not required. So why bother making a statement? He's welcome to stick to his guns, as far as I'm concerned. But the DOJ doesn't seem to be going all-in with him anymore. It never quite did, Barr's efforts notwithstanding.

ETA: L'etat, c'est ne pas Donald Trump.
In ancient/classical era, a city avoided sacking by capitulation before attempting to resist.

No such offer would be made after investment.

I see no reason to treat this any different.

:9
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:55 PM   #51
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 28,366
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I wonder if Trump insisted that his aids book him at the Four Seasons no matter what. So then the hotel refused but the aid was so scared he made a venue at Four Seasons happen....
If Trump has AIDS, it will be the most benign thing about him.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:56 PM   #52
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27,022
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
To be clear, I will NOT go out with Gal Gadot if she is the last woman on earth.
She'll be so disappointed.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:58 PM   #53
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,801
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I wouldn't either. If she showed up at my house in lingerie, I'd turn her away. I want to prove it too. Someone ask her to do that.....
Lingerie, no, I'd want the Wonder Woman outfit - and I say that as a straight woman
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:05 PM   #54
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,801
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
In ancient/classical era, a city avoided sacking by capitulation before attempting to resist.

No such offer would be made after investment.

I see no reason to treat this any different.

:9
I don't really think anyone needs to sack Trump's inner circle, but I could be wrong. An actual strategy could emerge, I suppose, but I doubt it.

Should Biden change his conciliatory tone? From "Heal the nation" to "Concede now and I won't crush your testicles in a vise"? Or maybe he can get Kamala to say it ...

I've had reason to believe in the past that Biden has a pugnacious side.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:08 PM   #55
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,069
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't really think anyone needs to sack Trump's inner circle, but I could be wrong. An actual strategy could emerge, I suppose, but I doubt it.

Should Biden change his conciliatory tone? From "Heal the nation" to "Concede now and I won't crush your testicles in a vise"? Or maybe he can get Kamala to say it ...

I've had reason to believe in the past that Biden has a pugnacious side.
What? All of Trump's inner circle are his appointees. They'll all be sacked routinely.

If Biden wants to get anything through the Repub Senate, he has to be conciliatory, and, as with Obama, it won't be enough.

Last edited by Bob001; 8th November 2020 at 05:11 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:12 PM   #56
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27,022
Trumpkins never let you down with just how crazy they can be.

Marshall Arkansas police chief Lang Holland resigned after making posts on social media that repeatedly said Democrats should be killed. He claimed that the election was being stolen. and "Death to all Marxist Democrats, Take no prisoners, leave no survivors!!"
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:15 PM   #57
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 753
Here’s how the U.S. State Dept explained Ukraine electoral fraud

“illegal use of absentee ballots,” “opposition observers ejected,” “North Korean style turnout in the East” (“nearly 96 percent”), “mobile ballot box fraud,” etc.

https://2001-2009.state.gov/p/eur/rls/rm/39542.htm
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:19 PM   #58
AnonyMoose
Muse
 
AnonyMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Land of the Frozen Chosen
Posts: 959
Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post
Here’s how the U.S. State Dept explained Ukraine electoral fraud

“illegal use of absentee ballots,” “opposition observers ejected,” “North Korean style turnout in the East” (“nearly 96 percent”), “mobile ballot box fraud,” etc.

https://2001-2009.state.gov/p/eur/rls/rm/39542.htm

Let the games begin...

__________________
"Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps." ~ Emo Phillips
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:21 PM   #59
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,602
Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post
Here’s how the U.S. State Dept explained Ukraine electoral fraud

“illegal use of absentee ballots,” “opposition observers ejected,” “North Korean style turnout in the East” (“nearly 96 percent”), “mobile ballot box fraud,” etc.

https://2001-2009.state.gov/p/eur/rls/rm/39542.htm
*Sighs* I little know why I am bothering but...

- There is zero evidence of illegal absentee ballots.
- No opposition observers were ejected. (The mob of angry MAGA hats and Proud Boy "Poll Watchers" don't count)
- There was a high turnout, but nowhere near suspiciously high turnout. Our turnout rate was only about 66%.
- There was no "mobile ballot box" fraud.

Just not getting the results you want isn't evidence of a shady election.

You are wrong. You are intentionally promoting spreading false facts and promoting a false narrative. It is dangerous and irresponsible, to say nothing of both intellectually and morally cowardly, to do that.
__________________
No, someone having reality and facts on their side does not mean they have been given an unfair advantage and it is not a bias against you. You're just wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:23 PM   #60
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27,022
Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post
Here’s how the U.S. State Dept explained Ukraine electoral fraud

“illegal use of absentee ballots,” “opposition observers ejected,” “North Korean style turnout in the East” (“nearly 96 percent”), “mobile ballot box fraud,” etc.

https://2001-2009.state.gov/p/eur/rls/rm/39542.htm
So? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:24 PM   #61
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27,022
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
*Sighs* I little know why I am bothering but...

- There is zero evidence of illegal absentee ballots.
- No opposition observers were ejected. (The mob of angry MAGA hats and Proud Boy "Poll Watchers" don't count)
- There was a high turnout, but nowhere near suspiciously high turnout. Our turnout rate was only about 66%.
- There was no "mobile ballot box" fraud.

Just not getting the results you want isn't evidence of a shady election.

You are wrong. You are intentionally promoting spreading false facts and promoting a false narrative. It is dangerous and irresponsible, to say nothing of both intellectually and morally cowardly, to do that.
Well done Joe!
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:24 PM   #62
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,602
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
So? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Nothing and they know it. It's pure "Here's something totally unrelated that I'm just throwing out there to poison the well."

Might as well go "Democrats used pens to mark the ballots. You know who else signed things with pens? That's right, Hitler!"
__________________
No, someone having reality and facts on their side does not mean they have been given an unfair advantage and it is not a bias against you. You're just wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:33 PM   #63
slyjoe
Master Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 2,347
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Nothing and they know it. It's pure "Here's something totally unrelated that I'm just throwing out there to poison the well."

Might as well go "Democrats used pens to mark the ballots. You know who else signed things with pens? That's right, Hitler!"
Don't worry - the pen lawsuit has already been dropped in Maricopa County.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:41 PM   #64
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27,022
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Nothing and they know it. It's pure "Here's something totally unrelated that I'm just throwing out there to poison the well."

Might as well go "Democrats used pens to mark the ballots. You know who else signed things with pens? That's right, Hitler!"
It's ridiculous. About the only thing the two had in common was the use of mail in absentee ballots.

Calling the ones used in the US 2020 election "illegal" is nonsense unless it can be proven.

Let's say that some ballots in this election are not technically "legal". That doesn't mean they weren't cast with honest intent. For example, the GOP are complaining about ballots postmarked on or before election day that the USPS failed to deliver. They are calling those ballots "illegal". In other words sorry, the government didnt do its job. Your ballots are illegal. They're not arguing fraud and the results are not accurate. They simply are looking for a way to not counting votes that went against them.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:52 PM   #65
Distracted1
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,071
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't really think anyone needs to sack Trump's inner circle, but I could be wrong. An actual strategy could emerge, I suppose, but I doubt it.

Should Biden change his conciliatory tone? From "Heal the nation" to "Concede now and I won't crush your testicles in a vise"? Or maybe he can get Kamala to say it ...

I've had reason to believe in the past that Biden has a pugnacious side.
Will Trump yield, and this avoid? Or guilty in defense be thus destroyed?
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:57 PM   #66
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,801
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Trumpkins never let you down with just how crazy they can be.

Marshall Arkansas police chief Lang Holland resigned after making posts on social media that repeatedly said Democrats should be killed. He claimed that the election was being stolen. and "Death to all Marxist Democrats, Take no prisoners, leave no survivors!!"
Sucking up taxpayer dollars all the way of course.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:59 PM   #67
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,801
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Will Trump yield, and this avoid? Or guilty in defense be thus destroyed?
I pick you to write the libretto for the opera.

May it end for Trump as it did for Don Giovanni.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:06 PM   #68
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 38,115
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Some glitch is keeping me from linking to a Daily Beast story from a couple of days ago. The headline was, "Trump whines: Why isn't Barr coming to save me?" Trump whining is not news. The analysis within caught my eye though:



The key word there is "incoherent." I don't think there's going to be a coherent way out of this for Trump because Trump is fundamentally incoherent.
It's a feature not a bug.
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:11 PM   #69
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,144
It's a trap!

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You are wrong. You are intentionally promoting spreading false facts and promoting a false narrative. It is dangerous and irresponsible, to say nothing of both intellectually and morally cowardly, to do that.
How is he doing that?

He gave us some information on 'how the U.S. State Dept explained Ukraine electoral fraud', which presumably is factual. As to what relevance this has to the current US election or what it might mean, he did not state an opinion.

Please don't accuse other posters of 'intentionally promoting spreading false facts and promoting a false narrative' when they just quote from a link and otherwise 'have no opinion on that'. Because it's a trap.
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:16 PM   #70
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 26,018
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
The key word there is "incoherent." I don't think there's going to be a coherent way out of this for Trump because Trump is fundamentally incoherent.
Trump isn't the one directing the legal strategy, though. He has requested that his campaign overturn the election result by any means they can manage, and the strategy for doing that is being developed by others.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:27 PM   #71
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,870
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah stripped of all the fluff it's basically just going "Trump will accept the results of the election if he is given literally no other choice."
And of course Trump always will have another choice - not to accept the result - and that's the one he'll make. I don't think there's anything which could compel him to.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:30 PM   #72
SezMe
post-pre-born
 
SezMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 24,650
Originally Posted by TangyPoindexter View Post
0n6ycytf06yg6/:'is gu dedicated for6yygg7pbb0 llllllllllllllllihjnnn ffgtdvftgrffgrx4vc6g6cm75a2g889s5zdfdcfcc6dcdccfcg gxx7yj5z

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Can I subscribe to your newsletter?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:30 PM   #73
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,870
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Trump isn't the one directing the legal strategy, though. He has requested that his campaign overturn the election result by any means they can manage, and the strategy for doing that is being developed by others.
And it seems the team is being put together by by the hapless Kushner and run by loony Giuliani.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:32 PM   #74
SezMe
post-pre-born
 
SezMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 24,650
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
It's a tapatalk post, which means it was done on a phone. Seems extremely likely that it was a pocket post.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:36 PM   #75
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,316
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
To be clear, I will NOT go out with Gal Gadot if she is the last woman on earth.
I support your choice.
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:43 PM   #76
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,542
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I wonder if Trump insisted that his aids book him at the Four Seasons no matter what. So then the hotel refused but the aid was so scared he made a venue at Four Seasons happen....
Hehehehe...

Or that staff member said OK, and relished in the task they'd been waiting years to do to the *******.
__________________
TRUMP IS A LOSER!

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th November 2020 at 06:52 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:44 PM   #77
SezMe
post-pre-born
 
SezMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 24,650
Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post
Here’s how the U.S. State Dept explained Ukraine electoral fraud

“illegal use of absentee ballots,” “opposition observers ejected,” “North Korean style turnout in the East” (“nearly 96 percent”), “mobile ballot box fraud,” etc.

https://2001-2009.state.gov/p/eur/rls/rm/39542.htm
... and?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:51 PM   #78
SezMe
post-pre-born
 
SezMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 24,650
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
How is he doing that?
This is a thread about the 2020 election. He posted a document that could be as much as 19(!) years old. Now, one has two choices: 1) that he just randomly picked an old document to post here or 2) he is using said document to comment on the topic of this thread.

Hmmmm. It's a tough choice but I'll go with 2). In that case, he is guilty as charged.

But maybe you chose option 1.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:51 PM   #79
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,316
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
So? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Plan A was to win the election through a gimmick called the electoral college.

If that failed, plan B was to claim they were cheated with zero point zero evidence.
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:54 PM   #80
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 30,098
Donald Trump Jr. tweeted
@DonaldJTrumpJr

America Won’t Trust Elections Until The Voter Fraud Is Investigated
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:33 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.