ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Old 8th November 2020, 04:31 PM   #41
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Someone is trying to make him sound reasonable, or save face, but take a look at that conditional statement.
Yeah stripped of all the fluff it's basically just going "Trump will accept the results of the election if he is given literally no other choice."

Errr... yeah. That's what "given no other choice" means.

"Trump won't contest the election if we don't let him" isn't news or some new angle to look at the situation from.
Old 8th November 2020, 04:32 PM   #42
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if Trump insisted that his aids book him at the Four Seasons no matter what. So then the hotel refused but the aid was so scared he made a venue at Four Seasons happen....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:33 PM   #43
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah stripped of all the fluff it's basically just going "Trump will accept the results of the election if he is given literally no other choice."

"Trump won't contest the election if we don't let him" isn't news or some new angle to look at the situation from.
Well, yeah, but "we'll capitulate if the Russians take Berlin" is a step back from "we are winning the war".
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:44 PM   #44
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

To be clear, I will NOT go out with Gal Gadot if she is the last woman on earth.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 8th November 2020 at 05:02 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:44 PM   #45
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
Apologies for adding to the tangential posts in this thread, but could we perhaps have a new pillory

Yes, as long as Trump gets first go in it.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:46 PM   #46
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
To be clear, I will NOT go out with Gal Gadot if she is the last woman on earth.
I wouldn't either. If she showed up at my house in lingerie, I'd turn her away. I want to prove it too. Someone ask her to do that.....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:48 PM   #47
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Anthony Scaramucci on MSNBC says all the court challenges are a last Trump scam. He'll collect donations to pay for them, but the fine print will allow him to use the money any way he wants. Scaramucci predicts Trump could raise $60 million in the next couple weeks, with no strings.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:51 PM   #48
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Some glitch is keeping me from linking to a Daily Beast story from a couple of days ago. The headline was, "Trump whines: Why isn't Barr coming to save me?" Trump whining is not news. The analysis within caught my eye though:

Quote:
One factor inhibiting Justice Department intervention is the contradictory strategies pursued by Trump and his supporters in the various states where it suits them. In Georgia, Pennsylvania and Michigan—states where Joe Biden either has taken a lead or where still-unreported counties are expected to favor Biden—the campaign wants the count to stop. But in Arizona, where Trump expects unreported ballots to favor him, Trump supporters have been demanding to proceed with the count.

Intervention at such a fluid time runs the risk of federal courts establishing a rule that would work to the Trump campaign’s disadvantage in a different state. Incoherent legal approaches also risk putting federal judges—as well as Trump appointees to the Supreme Court—in untenable positions that might not yield the result Trump wants
The key word there is "incoherent." I don't think there's going to be a coherent way out of this for Trump because Trump is fundamentally incoherent.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:53 PM   #49
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I wouldn't either. If she showed up at my house in lingerie, I'd turn her away. I want to prove it too. Someone ask her to do that.....
Lingerie, pah. She could skip it entirely and it would only stiffen my resolve.
Old 8th November 2020, 04:55 PM   #50
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

From that link:

Someone is trying to make him sound reasonable, or save face, but take a look at that conditional statement. IF his legal challenges fail THEN he will concede and execute a peaceful transition of power. There's a fallacy there I can't quite put my finger on. IF his legal challenges fail, THEN he has no ******* leg to stand on whatsoever. The statement ... nullifies itself, is the best I can come up with. Or it's a tautology. IF he fails, then he fails. He doesn't have to concede. It's conventional, but it's not required. So why bother making a statement? He's welcome to stick to his guns, as far as I'm concerned. But the DOJ doesn't seem to be going all-in with him anymore. It never quite did, Barr's efforts notwithstanding.

ETA: L'etat, c'est ne pas Donald Trump.
In ancient/classical era, a city avoided sacking by capitulation before attempting to resist.

No such offer would be made after investment.

I see no reason to treat this any different.

:9
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:55 PM   #51
angrysoba
Philosophile

I wonder if Trump insisted that his aids book him at the Four Seasons no matter what. So then the hotel refused but the aid was so scared he made a venue at Four Seasons happen....
If Trump has AIDS, it will be the most benign thing about him.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 04:56 PM   #52
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

She'll be so disappointed.
Old 8th November 2020, 04:58 PM   #53
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Lingerie, no, I'd want the Wonder Woman outfit - and I say that as a straight woman
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:05 PM   #54
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
In ancient/classical era, a city avoided sacking by capitulation before attempting to resist.

No such offer would be made after investment.

I see no reason to treat this any different.

:9
I don't really think anyone needs to sack Trump's inner circle, but I could be wrong. An actual strategy could emerge, I suppose, but I doubt it.

Should Biden change his conciliatory tone? From "Heal the nation" to "Concede now and I won't crush your testicles in a vise"? Or maybe he can get Kamala to say it ...

I've had reason to believe in the past that Biden has a pugnacious side.
Old 8th November 2020, 05:08 PM   #55
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I don't really think anyone needs to sack Trump's inner circle, but I could be wrong. An actual strategy could emerge, I suppose, but I doubt it.

Should Biden change his conciliatory tone? From "Heal the nation" to "Concede now and I won't crush your testicles in a vise"? Or maybe he can get Kamala to say it ...

What? All of Trump's inner circle are his appointees. They'll all be sacked routinely.

If Biden wants to get anything through the Repub Senate, he has to be conciliatory, and, as with Obama, it won't be enough.

Last edited by Bob001; 8th November 2020 at 05:11 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:12 PM   #56
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Trumpkins never let you down with just how crazy they can be.

Marshall Arkansas police chief Lang Holland resigned after making posts on social media that repeatedly said Democrats should be killed. He claimed that the election was being stolen. and "Death to all Marxist Democrats, Take no prisoners, leave no survivors!!"
Old 8th November 2020, 05:15 PM   #57
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Here’s how the U.S. State Dept explained Ukraine electoral fraud

“illegal use of absentee ballots,” “opposition observers ejected,” “North Korean style turnout in the East” (“nearly 96 percent”), “mobile ballot box fraud,” etc.

https://2001-2009.state.gov/p/eur/rls/rm/39542.htm
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:19 PM   #58
AnonyMoose
Muse

Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post

“illegal use of absentee ballots,” “opposition observers ejected,” “North Korean style turnout in the East” (“nearly 96 percent”), “mobile ballot box fraud,” etc.

Let the games begin...

Old 8th November 2020, 05:21 PM   #59
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

*Sighs* I little know why I am bothering but...

- There is zero evidence of illegal absentee ballots.
- No opposition observers were ejected. (The mob of angry MAGA hats and Proud Boy "Poll Watchers" don't count)
- There was a high turnout, but nowhere near suspiciously high turnout. Our turnout rate was only about 66%.
- There was no "mobile ballot box" fraud.

Just not getting the results you want isn't evidence of a shady election.

You are wrong. You are intentionally promoting spreading false facts and promoting a false narrative. It is dangerous and irresponsible, to say nothing of both intellectually and morally cowardly, to do that.
Old 8th November 2020, 05:23 PM   #60
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

So? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Old 8th November 2020, 05:24 PM   #61
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

*Sighs* I little know why I am bothering but...

- There is zero evidence of illegal absentee ballots.
- No opposition observers were ejected. (The mob of angry MAGA hats and Proud Boy "Poll Watchers" don't count)
- There was a high turnout, but nowhere near suspiciously high turnout. Our turnout rate was only about 66%.
- There was no "mobile ballot box" fraud.

Just not getting the results you want isn't evidence of a shady election.

You are wrong. You are intentionally promoting spreading false facts and promoting a false narrative. It is dangerous and irresponsible, to say nothing of both intellectually and morally cowardly, to do that.
Well done Joe!
Old 8th November 2020, 05:24 PM   #62
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Nothing and they know it. It's pure "Here's something totally unrelated that I'm just throwing out there to poison the well."

Might as well go "Democrats used pens to mark the ballots. You know who else signed things with pens? That's right, Hitler!"
Old 8th November 2020, 05:33 PM   #63
slyjoe
Master Poster

Nothing and they know it. It's pure "Here's something totally unrelated that I'm just throwing out there to poison the well."

Might as well go "Democrats used pens to mark the ballots. You know who else signed things with pens? That's right, Hitler!"
Don't worry - the pen lawsuit has already been dropped in Maricopa County.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 05:41 PM   #64
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It's ridiculous. About the only thing the two had in common was the use of mail in absentee ballots.

Calling the ones used in the US 2020 election "illegal" is nonsense unless it can be proven.

Let's say that some ballots in this election are not technically "legal". That doesn't mean they weren't cast with honest intent. For example, the GOP are complaining about ballots postmarked on or before election day that the USPS failed to deliver. They are calling those ballots "illegal". In other words sorry, the government didnt do its job. Your ballots are illegal. They're not arguing fraud and the results are not accurate. They simply are looking for a way to not counting votes that went against them.
Old 8th November 2020, 05:52 PM   #65
Distracted1
Philosopher

Will Trump yield, and this avoid? Or guilty in defense be thus destroyed?
Old 8th November 2020, 05:57 PM   #66
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Trumpkins never let you down with just how crazy they can be.

Marshall Arkansas police chief Lang Holland resigned after making posts on social media that repeatedly said Democrats should be killed. He claimed that the election was being stolen. and "Death to all Marxist Democrats, Take no prisoners, leave no survivors!!"
Sucking up taxpayer dollars all the way of course.
Old 8th November 2020, 05:59 PM   #67
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Will Trump yield, and this avoid? Or guilty in defense be thus destroyed?
I pick you to write the libretto for the opera.

May it end for Trump as it did for Don Giovanni.
Old 8th November 2020, 06:06 PM   #68
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Some glitch is keeping me from linking to a Daily Beast story from a couple of days ago. The headline was, "Trump whines: Why isn't Barr coming to save me?" Trump whining is not news. The analysis within caught my eye though:

The key word there is "incoherent." I don't think there's going to be a coherent way out of this for Trump because Trump is fundamentally incoherent.
It's a feature not a bug.
Old 8th November 2020, 06:11 PM   #69
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

It's a trap!

How is he doing that?

He gave us some information on 'how the U.S. State Dept explained Ukraine electoral fraud', which presumably is factual. As to what relevance this has to the current US election or what it might mean, he did not state an opinion.

Please don't accuse other posters of 'intentionally promoting spreading false facts and promoting a false narrative' when they just quote from a link and otherwise 'have no opinion on that'. Because it's a trap.
Old 8th November 2020, 06:16 PM   #70
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Trump isn't the one directing the legal strategy, though. He has requested that his campaign overturn the election result by any means they can manage, and the strategy for doing that is being developed by others.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:27 PM   #71
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

And of course Trump always will have another choice - not to accept the result - and that's the one he'll make. I don't think there's anything which could compel him to.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:30 PM   #72
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by TangyPoindexter View Post
0n6ycytf06yg6/:'is gu dedicated for6yygg7pbb0 llllllllllllllllihjnnn ffgtdvftgrffgrx4vc6g6cm75a2g889s5zdfdcfcc6dcdccfcg gxx7yj5z

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Can I subscribe to your newsletter?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:30 PM   #73
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Trump isn't the one directing the legal strategy, though. He has requested that his campaign overturn the election result by any means they can manage, and the strategy for doing that is being developed by others.
And it seems the team is being put together by by the hapless Kushner and run by loony Giuliani.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:32 PM   #74
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
It's a tapatalk post, which means it was done on a phone. Seems extremely likely that it was a pocket post.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:36 PM   #75
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I support your choice.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:43 PM   #76
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Hehehehe...

Or that staff member said OK, and relished in the task they'd been waiting years to do to the *******.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th November 2020 at 06:52 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:44 PM   #77
SezMe
post-pre-born

... and?
Old 8th November 2020, 06:51 PM   #78
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
How is he doing that?
This is a thread about the 2020 election. He posted a document that could be as much as 19(!) years old. Now, one has two choices: 1) that he just randomly picked an old document to post here or 2) he is using said document to comment on the topic of this thread.

Hmmmm. It's a tough choice but I'll go with 2). In that case, he is guilty as charged.

But maybe you chose option 1.
Old 8th November 2020, 06:51 PM   #79
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Plan A was to win the election through a gimmick called the electoral college.

If that failed, plan B was to claim they were cheated with zero point zero evidence.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 06:54 PM   #80
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Donald Trump Jr. tweeted
@DonaldJTrumpJr

America Won’t Trust Elections Until The Voter Fraud Is Investigated
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics