IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: When will Trump concede or else become incapable of concession?
Before 11-Nov 1 1.72%
Before 30-Nov 2 3.45%
Before 31-Dec 4 6.90%
Before 20-Jan 8 13.79%
Before 2022. 2 3.45%
2023 0 0%
2024 0 0%
2025 or thereafter 41 70.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th November 2020, 03:12 PM   #1
d4m10n
Philosopher

When will Trump concede?

When will Trump concede the 2020 presidential race, or else be rendered permanently incapable of doing so?
Old 9th November 2020, 03:20 PM   #2
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Bad poll. There is no Never option.
Old 9th November 2020, 04:05 PM   #3
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Bad poll. There is no Never option.
Seems to me that he has to meet one of the two conditions eventually. Are you hoping to advance an argument for transhumanism?
Old 9th November 2020, 04:13 PM   #4
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Seems to me that he has to meet one of the two conditions eventually. Are you hoping to advance an argument for transhumanism?
I think he will go to his grave declaring that he won and that the Presidency was stolen from him.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 04:13 PM   #5
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Seems to me that the two questions don't mesh. Trump could be incapable tomorrow or in 2030. So if I vote "before November 2020", you don't know if I'm saying that he's dead or had a stroke or that he's conceded.

See the problem?
Old 9th November 2020, 04:25 PM   #6
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

If he does so, it won't be in anything more than a Tweet. So, if so, before Jan 20. Because his account is going to be banned as soon as he's not officially in the Office any more.
Old 9th November 2020, 04:34 PM   #7
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I think he will go to his grave declaring that he won and that the Presidency was stolen from him.
And once in his grave, he will be "rendered permanently incapable" of announcing a concession, barring the possibly of successful séance.
Old 9th November 2020, 04:35 PM   #8
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
See the problem?
Not really. Just calculate the subjective joint probability given all the possibilities in play.
Old 9th November 2020, 04:35 PM   #9
crescent
Illuminator

He'll concede and refuse to concede, possibly both in rhe same tweet. Then he'll explain away to clarify that he meant and didn't mean the thing he said but by then denies that he said.

He's a master of the Rorschach ink blot style of communication.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 04:52 PM   #10
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 05:20 PM   #11
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Poll invalid, no "When Planet X freezes over" option. Only way anything other than the 2025 or after option is valid is if he croaks first.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:22 PM   #12
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Poll invalid, no "When Planet X freezes over" option. Only way anything other than the 2025 or after option is valid is if he croaks first.
Please see #7.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 9th November 2020, 05:54 PM   #13
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

You asked in this poll when will Trump concede. I don't think it is intention of this poll to predict date of Trump's death.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:56 PM   #14
d4m10n
Philosopher

You asked in this poll when will Trump concede. I don't think it is intention of this poll to predict date of Trump's death.
I asked "When will Trump concede or else become incapable of concession?" The idea was to create a conditional which must be true eventually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited by d4m10n; 9th November 2020 at 05:57 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 06:00 PM   #15
dirtywick
Master Poster

I think we’ll get Trumps version of a concession soon.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 06:03 PM   #16
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Not really. Just calculate the subjective joint probability given all the possibilities in play.
Sorry, math is not my strong suit. Plus I have no idea how to do that.
Old 9th November 2020, 06:18 PM   #17
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

I asked "When will Trump concede or else become incapable of concession?"
Then option Never is still valid. Key word hilited. And we aren't interested in latter.

The idea was to create a conditional which must be true eventually.
You really overcomplicated it.
Old 9th November 2020, 06:26 PM   #18
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump never loses. At least, not in his universe. He is currently trying to flip the board and claim that as "winning". If he fails to do that, he will walk away, because that is "winning" too. Or barricade himself in the White House, because that is also "winning". Anything he does is "winning". Even if all you billions of losers who are not Donald Trump say it is all losing.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 06:34 PM   #19
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

It won't be as much a concession as an airing of grievances. He's a grifter, so they'll be some of that as well.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 06:45 PM   #20
fromdownunder
Philosopher

It will be at the same time he admits that Obama's inauguration crowd was bigger than his.

Norm

fromdownunder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 06:53 PM   #21
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Trump wouldn't be caught dead doing such a thing.
He will become decedent before conceding.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 07:07 PM   #22
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Never have I ever seen a poll more in need of an Anet-play X-ay.

I’m pretty sure “concession” is in the book, “Words Donald Trump Does not Know the Meaning of.”
Old 9th November 2020, 07:40 PM   #23
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Never have I ever seen a poll more in need of an Anet-play X-ay.

I’m pretty sure “concession” is in the book, “Words Donald Trump Does not Know the Meaning of.”
That's a very, very large book.
Old 9th November 2020, 08:03 PM   #24
d4m10n
Philosopher

Then option Never is still valid.
No, it is not. Someday Trump will inevitably become physically and/or mentally incapable of communicating.

ETA: I'd wager that this happens before he concedes, but I live in hope.

Last edited by d4m10n; 9th November 2020 at 08:06 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:45 AM   #25
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I voted for 11/11 on the grounds that Trump is already incapable of concession. It would require a grasp of reality he has never possessed.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 12:56 AM   #26
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Mary Trump says he will actually convince himself that he truly won the election with the support of the GOP who are enabling him for their own agendas. She says none of his elder children would try to talk him into conceding because they are way too invested in him being in the Oval Office, their relationships are purely transactional, and they don't want to get on the wrong side of him. He also cannot concede because he cannot give up the media attention he has become so used to.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 02:01 AM   #27
erwinl
Master Poster

The answer should be both 'never' and 'already'.

Trump will never concede and he is already incapable of concession (has been all of his life).
Old 10th November 2020, 03:47 AM   #28
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

I think he will concede, claiming the deep State is too powerful to resist, and declare himself President In Exile and milk his faithful MAGA followers for all their worth.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 05:44 AM   #29
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

I wrote this on 11 march 2019, and I have not changed my mind.
Old 10th November 2020, 05:48 AM   #30
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

It's hard to imagine Trump ever coming out clearly and plainly stating that he lost. But in practice, I suspect he'll stop actively trying to hold onto power after his legal challenges fail. I don't think he has the stomach for the type of coup tactics that would be necessary at that point to retain power.

I think he basically accepts the loss after the legal challenges fails, though he will never publicly admit it and will continue to claim it was stolen for as long as he lives.
Old 10th November 2020, 05:59 AM   #31
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If Biden sues the GSA to start the transition process, that will be as close as this administration will come to admitting it has lost.
Old 10th November 2020, 06:06 AM   #32
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

GSA won't be able to deny ascertainment after the Electoral College votes. It may take a court to tell them that. That will be as close as we get to a concession.
Old 10th November 2020, 06:53 AM   #33
Tero
Master Poster

Never. As Cohen says, he will go to Mar a Lago for Christmas and never return.

But he will go on tour in 2024 for the Ivanka for President campaign. Then they will uncover all the fraud in 2020 as well as 2016. Because trump won fair and square in 2016, even the popular vote.

Last edited by Tero; 10th November 2020 at 06:57 AM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 07:50 AM   #34
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

No, it is not. Someday Trump will inevitably become physically and/or mentally incapable of communicating.
You seem to not understand how OR works. And again, Never is correct option. If he becomes incapable, he won't concede. So he never concedes, first because he does not want to, and later because he is dead.

It is weird that you refuse to put in poll most obvious option.
Old 10th November 2020, 07:50 AM   #35
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
He'll never concede, he'll just go directly from bilking his supporters for the legal challenges to bilking them gor the Trump 2024 MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN -campaign.
Old 10th November 2020, 08:02 AM   #36
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

You seem to not understand how OR works. .
Oregon? What's Oregon got to do with it? You must be talking about Oregon because "or" works just fine here.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 08:04 AM   #37
mumblethrax
Species traitor

His gravestone will read "I won".
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 08:15 AM   #38
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
His gravestone will read "I won".
Given the competence of the Trump clan, it will actually read "Here lies Donald J. Trump, a wiener."
Old 10th November 2020, 09:39 AM   #39
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Never. As Cohen says, he will go to Mar a Lago for Christmas and never return.

But he will go on tour in 2024 for the Ivanka for President campaign. Then they will uncover all the fraud in 2020 as well as 2016. Because trump won fair and square in 2016, even the popular vote.
Yep.

Back in 2014, Trump would call CNN and tell them he sent investigators to Hawaii to look into the birth certificate and they discovered shocking information. And he was getting ready to release this shocking information. He did it again and again.

So, in 2021, he will hold press conferences to say his investigators have discovered shocking information about the legitimacy of the election and he will release it in two weeks.

He will never concede.

The real question is how the GOP will react to Trump’s never conceding. Will they still assert that the emperor is dressed in the finest, most sublime clothing ever made? Or will they say that the GOP lost the election? And will they wait until his death to explain how they had to support President Chucklehead for fear of being primary-ed out of a congressional seat?
Old 10th November 2020, 09:41 AM   #40
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

If Trump hasn't conceded by 2024, does that make him ineligible to seek another term because he was the real President all along?

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics