ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Affordable Care Act , AHCA , donald trump , health care issues , health insurance issues , obamacare , Trumpcare

Closed Thread
Old 26th June 2017, 07:58 AM   #3561
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Here's what he promised even after he was elected:

This is Atlantic City all over again. Only now he's doing it to the whole country.
ell, normally, this would be a matter for the Department of State to deal with. Too bad that they're horribly understaffed, due to Toupee Fiasco...
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 08:29 AM   #3562
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I'm going to start a new insurance company in the USA, it's all going to be done by an app (have a fella in Thailand who can knock something up for a couple of dollars) so it will be all trendy and part of the gig-economy. There will be two price plans, the Republican! and the Republican Plus!!. The Republican! will be $150 a month, the Republican Plus!! $200 a month and it will cover you for any health care eventuality as long as you remain healthy!
Old 26th June 2017, 08:34 AM   #3563
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Can you name the groups you're referring to and what advice and/or changes they recommended that were not listened to? More importantly, who exactly wasn't listening?
American Association of Actuaries, Society of Actuaries, Blue Cross Blue Shield Association Actuarial Committee. Suggestions included increasing the penalty for mandatory coverage, changing the subsidy to be age-adjusted to reduce the dramatic cliff experienced by older consumers when they hit 400%, changing the age scale to be 5:1 instead of 3:1 to allow for lower rates for younger people, removing the minimum FPL requirement for individual market that excluded people with incomes under 133%FPL and allow for less disruptive transitioning between Medicaid and Individual markets, revisions to the risk adjustment methodology to even out the disparate preference for older/sicker individuals over younger/healthier ones and create a more stable environment, creation of an invisible high risk pool to mitigate the impact from sicker than average new entrants, and a few others I don't recall.

This group is a 19,000 member actuary group (link) and this is from their website:
That's the AAA. It encompasses almost all of the practicing actuaries in the US.
Old 26th June 2017, 08:43 AM   #3564
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

This is from a business analysis regarding large managed care companies. Apparently they've been crying "wolf!":
Flawed analysis. The gains aren't coming from the markets affected by ACA. United has exited several individual markets across the US, and a large number of regional and local carriers have been losing money in the individual market and exiting altogether.

It's great that this guy can look at the stock market and draw such sweeping conclusions without actually knowing anything at all about how the health insurance market functions.
Old 26th June 2017, 08:46 AM   #3565
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I'm going to start a new insurance company in the USA, it's all going to be done by an app (have a fella in Thailand who can knock something up for a couple of dollars) so it will be all trendy and part of the gig-economy. There will be two price plans, the Republican! and the Republican Plus!!. The Republican! will be $150 a month, the Republican Plus!! $200 a month and it will cover you for any health care eventuality as long as you remain healthy!
I know a Republican who would buy it!

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 08:52 AM   #3566
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I know a Republican who would buy it!
Do you think we need a lower tier for those worthless less than 200,000 a year deadbeats? Obviously wouldn't be as good coverage, we could call it the Democrat!
Old 26th June 2017, 09:02 AM   #3567
Kestrel
Philosopher

Congress seems to have understood that the penalty for not having insurance would be more effective if it was larger. The lower penalties were part of the compromises needed to get the bill passed. As I understand it families with incomes between FPL and 133% of FPL are allowed to buy policies from the exchange. This has helped some of the working poor that live in states that rejected Medicaid expansion.

Republicans in Congress could have proposed some of these changes or done other things to fix the known problems with the ACA. But that would assume they were actually interested in anything but tax cuts for rich people and hating Obama.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 09:16 AM   #3568
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Do you think we need a lower tier for those worthless less than 200,000 a year deadbeats? Obviously wouldn't be as good coverage, we could call it the Democrat!
I think you could get buyers for that as well.

The Republican I mention says that health insurance should only be for those who have healthy lifestyles. And that if people would just eat right, most of it would be unnecessary.

This is the same guy who says that the solution to poverty in America is to sterilize the poor, so that they can't have children.

He also says there aren't many actually poor people in America. If a family can afford to have air-conditioning, they aren't really poor. [This is Arizona.]
Yesterday we saw a homeless woman begging on the street, L told me right away that she was a fraud. She had a bicycle. He declared that if she could afford to have a bicycle, she wasn't really poor but just a lazy bum.

Yes. people like him are game for your plan.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 09:20 AM   #3569
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
The Times has outlined the winners of the wealthcare bill.

I don't understand the GOP's intense desire to pass this bill since the voters they added to win in November are going to be harmed the most by it.
You're kidding, right? Their goal is to reduce taxes. They are against the basic idea of providing government services, and they will cut as much as they can wherever they can. Ryan wants to cut Medicare and Social Security, which have long been considered practically sacrosanct.

And if poor whites get hurt, they will blame blacks, immigrants, "welfare," "foreign aid," etc., never Trump or the Repubs.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 09:24 AM   #3570
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
For clarity : are the AHA and the expansion of Medicare separate issues? I get that impression from Stacko's post

I had assumed they were a package.
Let's just note that the subject is Medicaid, not Medicare. The ACA (Obamacare) expanded Medicaid in the states that chose to accept it; the AHCA wants to reduce funding and eligibility.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 12:32 PM   #3571
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
An interesting concept, it's not OK to fine you for not carrying health insurance, as an incentive.

But it is OK to threaten you with not being able to get insurance for 6 months as an incentive.
Iím also not clear on implementation. When does the waiting period start? If you donít have insurance for 2 years does that count as the waiting period, if so I donít see how it helps solve the problem of people not buying insurance until they are already sick.

Is it a case of you having to buy insurance but not be eligible to avail yourself of it for 6 months? That could be more helpful, or maybe not if it means your condition advances and becomes more expensive to treat while you sit on an un-triaged waiting list. Also, how much does requiring people to pay for insurance they are not allowed to use different than a tax on people who opt out of insurance?
Old 26th June 2017, 12:36 PM   #3572
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Iím also not clear on implementation. When does the waiting period start? If you donít have insurance for 2 years does that count as the waiting period, if so I donít see how it helps solve the problem of people not buying insurance until they are already sick.

Is it a case of you having to buy insurance but not be eligible to avail yourself of it for 6 months? That could be more helpful, or maybe not if it means your condition advances and becomes more expensive to treat while you sit on an un-triaged waiting list. Also, how much does requiring people to pay for insurance they are not allowed to use different than a tax on people who opt out of insurance?
The GOP just handed the Dems their "death panel". They should start referring to the GOP plan as the Affordable Death Care Act.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 12:40 PM   #3573
Stacko
Philosopher

The wording for the amendment hasn't been released yet that I can find. It sounds like it starts when you start looking for insurance. Something along the lines of, "Insurers can impose a six-month waiting period on those who cannot demonstrate 12 months of continuous creditable coverage."
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 01:16 PM   #3574
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
The belief that corporations will act in the best long term interest of the corporation is common. Reality is that corporations are controlled by insiders who are human. Science has shown us that humans value short term gains over long term gains and personal gains over the welfare of a group. In short they will make decisions that create short term personal profits even if these decisions are bad for the long term survival of a corporation. What happened to Lehman Brothers is a good example.
AKA the Principle-Agent problem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princi...3agent_problem
People who actually controlee corporations are not, ultimately, motivated by the long term best interest of the company but by their own best interests which are invariably driven by short term incentives. CEOís can make a lot of money by doing things that have short term benefits but cost the company enormously in the long run. E.g. many of the problems IBM is suffering from came about exactly this way.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevede.../#62182f993e48
Old 26th June 2017, 01:29 PM   #3575
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

People who actually control corporations are not, ultimately, motivated by the long term best interest of the company but by their own best interests
How can that be a problem? It's a core principle of Capitalism!

Corporations only exist so that those who run them can make money. If that goal is met by destroying the corporation then it has served its purpose. And healthy Capitalism requires that poorly performing businesses fail. That's why we like it!
Old 26th June 2017, 01:53 PM   #3576
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So the six month wait is not imposed via the state?
Yeah, no, but umm ... something. Freedom, probably.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 01:59 PM   #3577
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Nope, you can't use the individual market so it's employer insurance or if you qualify Medicaid. They would be barred for six months from purchasing a plan for themselves.
Wow. That's restraint of trade, which is a fundamental evil for the right, but they go there anyway.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 02:15 PM   #3578
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Mod InfoPlease continue this conversation in the new thread.
Posted By:Agatha

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan

Last edited by Agatha; 26th June 2017 at 02:17 PM.
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics