ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:26 PM   #401
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Apparently, the Trump staffers asked British pop star Rebecca Ferguson to perform; and she announced she would agree to do so only if she was allowed to perform "Strange Fruit"; an anti-lynching protest song first recorded by Billie Holiday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...ation-ceremony
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:34 PM   #402
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
what an odd comment... I don't believe anyone has suggested that she is doing anything other than singing the National Anthem, which is indeed the most prestigious spot of all on that day
The response from others in the thread would seem to contradict that idea, since no less than three people have indicated they weren't aware she was only performing the national anthem.

And I would debate the merits of singing the national anthem as being the most prestigious spot, since as I said it can literally be done by any nominally competent singer and therefore does not need a big name to do it. The more prestigious spots would, in my opinion, go to those who are performing their own music and will be able to make their individual artistic contributions heard rather than being forced to sing exactly the lyrics someone else wrote a couple hundred years ago with very little room for putting your own spin on the content.
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:44 PM   #403
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
The response from others in the thread would seem to contradict that idea, since no less than three people have indicated they weren't aware she was only performing the national anthem.

And I would debate the merits of singing the national anthem as being the most prestigious spot, since as I said it can literally be done by any nominally competent singer and therefore does not need a big name to do it. The more prestigious spots would, in my opinion, go to those who are performing their own music and will be able to make their individual artistic contributions heard rather than being forced to sing exactly the lyrics someone else wrote a couple hundred years ago with very little room for putting your own spin on the content.
The really funny thing is you are making up that claim and applying to someone who is primarily known as an opera singer.

That bastard Puccini always forcing people to sing O mio babbino caro exactly the lyrics he wrote it a hundred years ago with very little room for putting your own spin on the content.
Old 3rd January 2017, 01:19 PM   #404
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

And I would debate the merits of singing the national anthem as being the most prestigious spot, since as I said it can literally be done by any nominally competent singer and therefore does not need a big name to do it.

I agree, the national anthem can be lip-synced by practically anyone, which Beyoncé proved at the Obama inauguration in 2013.

Reference: Beyoncé admits Inauguration Day lip-sync

Last edited by Slings and Arrows; 3rd January 2017 at 02:13 PM.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 03:25 PM   #405
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I think back to previous inaugurations and try to remember all of the entertainment that occurred, to see who might be “most prestigious”. Here’s a complete list:

“Hail to the Chief” – various military bands.
Various high school bands who were forced inside due to cold weather at Ronald Reagan’s second inauguration.
Maya Angelou reads some mediocre poetry.
Beyonce lip synchs the National Anthem.
Bill Clinton plays “Your Momma Don’t Dance and Your Daddy Don’t Rock and Roll” on the saxophone at his own inaugural ball.

Of all the spots for the entertainers, it would seem that the National Anthem is the most significant, only because it happens right about the time of the swearing in. All the other entertainment is ….meh.

And if my own memory is worth anything, it would seem that the entertainment is most remembered if something went wrong with it, or if it is provided by the President himself. I’ve heard Trump tell jokes, so unless he has some previously unrevealed musical ability, he should probably leave the entertainment to others.
Old 3rd January 2017, 03:53 PM   #406
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

I will gladly perform for Trump's inauguration if I am allowed to perform this song:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 04:17 PM   #407
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Apparently, the Trump staffers asked British pop star Rebecca Ferguson to perform; and she announced she would agree to do so only if she was allowed to perform "Strange Fruit"; an anti-lynching protest song first recorded by Billie Holiday.

!!!!!! Introduced my Video production students to it at a mostly Black High School - and to why it existed!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 05:39 PM   #408
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The really funny thing is you are making up that claim and applying to someone who is primarily known as an opera singer.

That bastard Puccini always forcing people to sing O mio babbino caro exactly the lyrics he wrote it a hundred years ago with very little room for putting your own spin on the content.
She's not an Opera Singer. She gas never sung an Opera or performed one.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 08:38 PM   #409
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by luchog View Post

What was the response from the Trump staffers?
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 08:40 PM   #410
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
What was the response from the Trump staffers?
"Who is Rebecca Ferguson again?"
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 08:43 PM   #411
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
She's not an Opera Singer. She gas never sung an Opera or performed one.
An Opera?

The super thing? Did not come close to rebutting my actual point.
Old 3rd January 2017, 08:48 PM   #412
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

So who's on the list now? It would appear to be just the KKK Kazoo Team plus a pair of Rockettes being whipped so far.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 08:56 PM   #413
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
So who's on the list now? It would appear to be just the KKK Kazoo Team plus a pair of Rockettes being whipped so far.
You know what's going to happen if they can't get professional entertainers. More speeches. God save us from more speeches.

Maybe they can get some of the runners-up from America's Got Talent. Like that dude with the little circus dogs. I'd watch that.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 08:59 PM   #414
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
You know what's going to happen if they can't get professional entertainers. More speeches. God save us from more speeches.

Maybe they can get some of the runners-up from America's Got Talent. Like that dude with the little circus dogs. I'd watch that.
They could screen re-runs of Obama's inauguration celebration and CGI Melania's head onto Michelle's body, and Trump's onto Obama's. No-one would notice the difference, I'm sure!

LOL
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 3rd January 2017 at 09:00 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 09:27 PM   #415
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
"Who is Rebecca Ferguson again?"
So they quickly forgot who the person is that they invited to the event? I agree that Trump staffers are idiots, but wow, you must really think very low of them.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 09:39 PM   #416
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
So they quickly forgot who the person is that they invited to the event? I agree that Trump staffers are idiots, but wow, you must really think very low of them.
I don't know any of them personally, but you know, I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume idiot as a kindness. Then again, I still chuckle every time I see the name "Josh Earnest." Politics is full of humor if you allow it.
Old 4th January 2017, 12:18 PM   #417
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

An Opera?

The super thing? Did not come close to rebutting my actual point.
I wasn't trying to rebut anythjng. I was pointing out that she isn't an opera singer.
Recording a few popular arias doesn’t make sn opera singer. Actually performing and singing complete operas does.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 12:21 PM   #418
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Those so called celebrities that turned down the invitation are losers, not patriots, the worst. so sad
Old 4th January 2017, 12:32 PM   #419
Cleon
King of the Pod People

I wasn't trying to rebut anythjng. I was pointing out that she isn't an opera singer.
Recording a few popular arias doesn’t make sn opera singer. Actually performing and singing complete operas does.
Classical singer, sure. Opera singer, not so much.
Old 4th January 2017, 03:25 PM   #420
Minoosh
Philosopher

The National Anthem is actually incredibly hard to sing. Try it sometime, opening arbitrarily on any note, and you will discover that it's nearly impossible to hit the highs and the lows. Back up, try to sing it in a different key and see where that gets you. The best vehicle is probably a barbershop quartet. The tune is simply unsuited to the human instrument.

I like watching old "X Factor" clips, including the British versions. Susan Boyle actually auditioned on "Britain's Got Talent," and that clip never would have been seen in the U.S. if there hadn't been a phenomenal narrative to go with the phenomenal performance. Rebecca Ferguson isn't such a well-known name but she has a great blues voice. I'm not aware of any compelling reason to invite her over any homegrown talent, though. She might be a world-class performer now but she wasn't at her first BGT (X Factor?) audition. And yes, these things are scripted to some extent, and her "role" was to come across as shy and inward. How much of that is real, I don't know. Whatever, the inauguration will be entertaining for those who find entertainment in such venues. I wouldn't, no matter who was being inaugurated. The fact that it is Trump makes me that much less enthusiastic, because I deeply dislike the guy, but he has his fans and they will be plenty satisfied with whatever he has to present, even if it's military bands performing old standards to fox-trot or waltz by.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 03:53 PM   #421
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind

As minoosh said, the anthem is very difficult to sing. I have had vocal training and even singing in my preferred key with plenty of warm up, it is a strain. If you want to know if someone can *really* sing, listen to them do the anthem.

Lady Gaga did it great last year, my favorite so far.
Old 4th January 2017, 04:10 PM   #422
Fidelio
Muse

Re. Something not sure what but, "The United States Marine Corps Band has played "The Liberty Bell" march at four of the last six presidential inaugurations: the 1993 inauguration of President Bill Clinton,[3][4] the 2005 inauguration of President George W. Bush,[5] and the 2009 and 2013 inaugurations of President Barack Obama." From wikipedia.

The John Phillips Sousa march is known to folks of a certain age as the theme from Monty Python's Flying Circus.

I remember watching Clinton's inaguration with cow-orkers. Much laughter ensued.

Last edited by Fidelio; 4th January 2017 at 04:12 PM.
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 04:23 PM   #423
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

For anyone not knowing yet:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/03/politi...ion/index.html

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 04:49 PM   #424
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I doubt the hunt for big names is to do the anthem. To be more accurate, to "just do the anthem". It's the ball(s) later. He wants to have the impression that the glitterati is in his camp, particularly some early Clinton supporters. Why else approach Perry?

Maybe he could do an All Star Sexual Predator lineup? I'm sure Cee Lo needs work? Is Gary Glitter out of jail? R. Kelly?

But they're idiots. Approaching stars of the magnitude they're approaching through their agents doesn't work, particularly dangling government posts or amabassdorships. Lady Gaga, Adele, Pink, Kate Perry, Kelly Clarkson? Those people don't take gigs just because their agents tell them to.

Have they asked Nigel to approach Clapton? He's got a nasty right wing streak in him. And we've forgiven him that and keep buying his music. He's kind of an untouchable. Being "Guitar God" can do that.

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 04:52 PM   #425
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Fake news? You mean Trump's own words?

Immigrants- All those mexicans rapists bringing drugs
gays - Trump said he'd appoint a Justice who'd overturn marriage equality.
The irony. It burns.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 05:17 PM   #426
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Personally, I'd like to see KISS perform. I'm sure Gene Simmons would be on board.
Chris B.
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 05:24 PM   #427
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

What about Ozzy. I bet he would do it for a laugh.
Old 4th January 2017, 05:42 PM   #428
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Personally, I'd like to see KISS perform. I'm sure Gene Simmons would be on board.
Chris B.
Simmons is so busy figuring out which would benefit Gene Simmons' pocket more that he'll still be mulling it over in June.

Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 05:42 PM   #429
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Now there's controversy about the band from the black college in Alabama being invited to play.

Here's how I'd like to see it work out -- the band goes, the kids get to experience the "smooth transistion", but they decide when marching, instead of playing music to just have a lone drummer tap out a beat while everyone else is silent.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 05:52 PM   #430
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
The National Anthem is actually incredibly hard to sing. Try it sometime, opening arbitrarily on any note, and you will discover that it's nearly impossible to hit the highs and the lows. Back up, try to sing it in a different key and see where that gets you. The best vehicle is probably a barbershop quartet. The tune is simply unsuited to the human instrument.

I like watching old "X Factor" clips, including the British versions. Susan Boyle actually auditioned on "Britain's Got Talent," and that clip never would have been seen in the U.S. if there hadn't been a phenomenal narrative to go with the phenomenal performance. Rebecca Ferguson isn't such a well-known name but she has a great blues voice. I'm not aware of any compelling reason to invite her over any homegrown talent, though. She might be a world-class performer now but she wasn't at her first BGT (X Factor?) audition. And yes, these things are scripted to some extent, and her "role" was to come across as shy and inward. How much of that is real, I don't know. Whatever, the inauguration will be entertaining for those who find entertainment in such venues. I wouldn't, no matter who was being inaugurated. The fact that it is Trump makes me that much less enthusiastic, because I deeply dislike the guy, but he has his fans and they will be plenty satisfied with whatever he has to present, even if it's military bands performing old standards to fox-trot or waltz by.
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
As minoosh said, the anthem is very difficult to sing. I have had vocal training and even singing in my preferred key with plenty of warm up, it is a strain. If you want to know if someone can *really* sing, listen to them do the anthem.

Lady Gaga did it great last year, my favorite so far.
I would advise anyone who has doubts about Jackie Evanchos' vocal talent to listen to one of her renditions, here is one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2YRCjBzZSg It's not modified, it's just a straight national anthem, but it's a good test for a singer.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 06:01 PM   #431
Marcus
Master Poster

What about Ozzy. I bet he would do it for a laugh.
That would be awesome. "No More Tears" and "Mr. Crowley" . Half Ozzie and half Jackie, no Trump.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 06:49 PM   #432
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Because it plays into the feminist dogma that all men oppress all women, and that men who don't rape still benefit from rape because it keeps women in line.
Uh-huh. Got it all figgered out.
Old 4th January 2017, 06:57 PM   #433
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The fact that I'm more familiar feminist theory than you amuses me to no end.
I'm amused, too! Can you guess at what?
Old 4th January 2017, 07:21 PM   #434
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
As minoosh said, the anthem is very difficult to sing. I have had vocal training and even singing in my preferred key with plenty of warm up, it is a strain. If you want to know if someone can *really* sing, listen to them do the anthem. Lady Gaga did it great last year, my favorite so far.
My favorite (and I'm showing my age ) was the Jimi Hendrix version. Unforgettable, but that was instrumental, no vocals.

I agree, Lady Gaga was excellent.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 07:38 PM   #435
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Uh-huh. Got it all figgered out.
It's not all that complicated. Do you need citations?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 07:41 PM   #436
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I would advise anyone who has doubts about Jackie Evanchos' vocal talent to listen to one of her renditions, here is one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2YRCjBzZSg It's not modified, it's just a straight national anthem, but it's a good test for a singer.
I won't deny she's got pipes. Give her 10-15 years, and she'll be truly remarkable.
Old 4th January 2017, 07:46 PM   #437
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
My favorite (and I'm showing my age ) was the Jimi Hendrix version. Unforgettable, but that was instrumental, no vocals.

Derail:

And I'll really show my age. I was there for the Woodstock version*. Counter to hippie legend he didn't just step up and decide to wake people from their tents, but it was part of a medley that ran about an hour. He segued into The Star Spangled Banner in the middle of it.

*Woodstock, thanks to Michael Wadleigh is the most famous version, but there are forty or fifty recordings of him doing it. It was part of his repertoire. He didn't just make up those "bombs bursting in air" sound effects on the spot. He'd been noodling with them for years.

Old 4th January 2017, 07:51 PM   #438
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Very Nice. I hope no one harasses her for doing it. The National Anthem is to me, the antithesis to Trump. It's not like hiring entertainment to celebrate the day.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th January 2017 at 07:54 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 07:54 PM   #439
Minoosh
Philosopher

I wonder if any other human being could do what he did with his guitar.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 08:05 PM   #440
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind

I've heard Hendrix's version, and I can say his guitar sings way better than I do!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics