ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th January 2017, 09:15 PM   #441
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

It doesn't help that by all accounts, Trump is a total Philistine. It's not even really possible to begrudgingly respect the guy if you believe art matters.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 09:16 PM   #442
Norman Alexander
Graduate Poster

It seems no-one has determined who is attending the innauguration event yet. So let me make some educated guesses from 10,000kms away.

1) The KKK Kazoo Band will open, holding burning crosses while playing "Dixie" in front of a Confederate flag.
2) Some street mime, possibly blind, will act out the Second Amendment, accompanied by a hillbilly playing a duck caller.
3) Two Rockettes will perform "Just Jazz Hands" to a Ted Nugent number.
4) Horst Wessel and The Brown Shirt Boys will play some stirring goose-stepping dance music.
5) A genuine singer will perform the National Anthem properly...if they can be heard over the noise of dessert, coffee, and thousands of corporate lobbyists and other hangers-on trying to broker deals with guests.

Yeah, go on! You do better!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2017, 08:10 AM   #443
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I wonder if any other human being could do what he did with his guitar.

Randy Hansen perhaps.
luchog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2017, 08:17 AM   #444
calebprime
Somewhat Elitist Parasite

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Randy Hansen perhaps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2kaa2-NBkk

Ooh, that's in the uncanny valley. Disturbing. I wish I'd never. Thanks, luchog.

( Sung to the tune of the old Time jingle: "Time flies, and you are there!" )
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2017, 10:40 AM   #445
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I hear Corey Feldman is available also!
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2017, 11:00 AM   #446
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Why not go with someone who could blow the roof off the place ?
Old 5th January 2017, 11:03 AM   #447
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Donald doesn't want to be out-Trumped.
Old 5th January 2017, 11:41 AM   #448
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Darn that Talladega marching band for playing at Trump's inauguration. They are messing with the narrative.
Old 5th January 2017, 11:47 AM   #449
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
There's an act that was well ahead of it's time.
Old 6th January 2017, 12:42 AM   #450
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Did word of Trump’s inauguration concert cause a Jackie Evancho sales surge?

Donald Trump tweeted that 16-year-old Jackie Evancho’s "album sales have skyrocketed after announcing her inauguration performance."

So is Trump’s Twitter boast correct? Did Evancho, who is 16, see a steep rise in sales since it was announced she’d be a performer at the Trump inauguration?

He’s right. Evancho’s album sales nearly doubled in the first full week after she was announced as an inauguration performer compared to the previous week. She was also streamed much more often.

We rule the claim True.

Read more:
http://www.politifact.com/pennsylvan...cause-jackie-/ (January 5, 2017)

Good for her, I hope she gets another big spike in sales following her inauguration performance.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 04:44 AM   #451
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
It seems no-one has determined who is attending the innauguration event yet. So let me make some educated guesses from 10,000kms away.

1) The KKK Kazoo Band will open, holding burning crosses while playing "Dixie" in front of a Confederate flag.
2) Some street mime, possibly blind, will act out the Second Amendment, accompanied by a hillbilly playing a duck caller.
3) Two Rockettes will perform "Just Jazz Hands" to a Ted Nugent number.
4) Horst Wessel and The Brown Shirt Boys will play some stirring goose-stepping dance music.
5) A genuine singer will perform the National Anthem properly...if they can be heard over the noise of dessert, coffee, and thousands of corporate lobbyists and other hangers-on trying to broker deals with guests.

Yeah, go on! You do better!
1) Hillary Clinton pole dances to "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac, with an encore of "Nasty Girls"
2) The National Anthem is performed while CNN switches to a live view of Colin Kaepernick taking a knee.
3) Obama cries caught live by a close up from a Fox camera.
4) Hillary and Bill are seated between special guests Putin and Julian Assange, again with a live close up from a Fox camera.
5) KISS performs to close the show and Gene Simmons spits fire on the MSNBC and CNN cameras.
Chris B.
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 06:33 AM   #452
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Good for her, I hope she gets another big spike in sales following her inauguration performance.

It's always to a performer's benefit if something expands their audience, bringing them to the attention of people who may have never encountered them previously. Rapper LL Cool J experienced a significant increase in CD sales, particularly among white, middle-age women, when he began co-starring on NCIS: Los Angeles. As they say, any publicity is good publicity.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 06:42 AM   #453
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Bad for the intelligence of the people who bought the album. The fact that she is simply playing an event is hardly a good assessment of its artistic merit.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 06:59 AM   #454
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Bad for the intelligence of the people who bought the album. The fact that she is simply playing an event is hardly a good assessment of its artistic merit.
That's a rather blinkered interpretation of that statement. It's entirely possible that this performance will expose her to people who have simply never heard her before, but who will like what they hear. So a spike in sales could be because of their assessment of its artistic merits, and not simply because she performed the event.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 07:02 AM   #455
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That's a rather blinkered interpretation of that statement. It's entirely possible that this performance will expose her to people who have simply never heard her before, but who will like what they hear. So a spike in sales could be because of their assessment of its artistic merits, and not simply because she performed the event.
Read back what you wrote. That is the most embarrassing way to admit you became aware of an artist.
Old 6th January 2017, 07:14 AM   #456
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Read back what you wrote. That is the most embarrassing way to admit you became aware of an artist.
What the hell are you even talking about? First, I've been aware of her for years. Second, why is it embarrassing to admit you became aware of an artist because they played some venue you were watching for other reasons? That sounds like hipster snobbery: if you didn't learn of an artist before widespread exposure, you're just a poser. And third, way to not address the point.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 07:20 AM   #457
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

What the hell are you even talking about? First, I've been aware of her for years. Second, why is it embarrassing to admit you became aware of an artist because they played some venue you were watching for other reasons? That sounds like hipster snobbery: if you didn't learn of an artist before widespread exposure, you're just a poser. And third, way to not address the point.
My reply to your point is that people are learning about the artist the wrong way. Yes it is snobbery. Snobbery in art is important. There are right ways and wrong ways to consume art.
Old 6th January 2017, 07:25 AM   #458
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

My reply to your point is that people are learning about the artist the wrong way.
Which has **** all to do with their intelligence, which was your claim.

Quote:
Yes it is snobbery. Snobbery in art is important. There are right ways and wrong ways to consume art.
No, you are wrong. Snobbery is important to the inflated sense of self-worth of the snob. It has no importance otherwise. But thank you for confirming that I was completely right about you.
Old 6th January 2017, 07:26 AM   #459
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Quote:
You couldn’t get a more appropriately named band to play at Trump’s inauguration – and they’re not afraid!

Country music mega act Big & Rich is not afraid of the backlash other acts have got for even considering performing at President-elect Donald Trump’s inauguration.

Unlike many celebrities who cowered in fear and declined to be involved with Trump’s inauguration, the band said it is “thrilled” to be performing at the gala hosted by the Republican Party of New York and Great Alliance America on Jan. 19.

Read more:
http://www.bizpacreview.com/2017/01/...-afraid-431566 (January 4, 2017)

"Cause I saddle up my horse
And I ride into the city
I make a lot of noise
'Cause the girls
They are so pretty
Riding up and down broadway
On my old stud leroy
And the girls say
Save a horse, ride a cowboy"

-- Big Kenny and John Rich

YouTube: Big & Rich (Save a horse)

Last edited by Slings and Arrows; 6th January 2017 at 09:21 AM.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 07:38 AM   #460
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Which has **** all to do with their intelligence, which was your claim.

No, you are wrong. Snobbery is important to the inflated sense of self-worth of the snob. It has no importance otherwise. But thank you for confirming that I was completely right about you.
It has everything to do with their intelligence. If you are smart, you take a moment to realize you are doing it wrong, and stop before you make that purchase.
Old 6th January 2017, 07:44 AM   #461
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

It has everything to do with their intelligence. If you are smart, you take a moment to realize you are doing it wrong, and stop before you make that purchase.
Your criteria for right and wrong are arbitrary and irrelevant. Furthermore, even granting your premise that it's wrong to find out about artists this way (an assertion you have provided no justification for), it doesn't follow that it's therefore wrong to purchase the CD once you have in fact found out about an artist.

You aren't convincing anyone that you're better at consuming art, you're only convincing people you've got a pole shoved somewhere.
Old 6th January 2017, 07:46 AM   #462
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Your criteria for right and wrong are arbitrary and irrelevant. Furthermore, even granting your premise that it's wrong to find out about artists this way (an assertion you have provided no justification for), it doesn't follow that it's therefore wrong to purchase the CD once you have in fact found out about an artist.

You aren't convincing anyone that you're better at consuming art, you're only convincing people you've got a pole shoved somewhere.
It is wrong to purchase at that time because it is fruit from a poisoned tree.

I'm not better at consuming music. That is why I don't. When I became aware of how I was not able to do it right, I stopped childishly listening in 2008 until such a time I can do the form justice.
Old 6th January 2017, 07:49 AM   #463
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

And I ride into the city
I make a lot of noise
'Cause the girls
They are so pretty
On my old stud leroy
And the girls say

YouTube: Big and Rich (Save a horse)
Mega group? What've they got, like one hit a decade ago. (And not even a full-chart hit, but a Billboard Country Chart hit.)

NVM.... it's not the inauguration but a party being thrown by one of the PACs on the 19th.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 07:59 AM   #464
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Pity that the Red Army Choir isn't around anymore.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 6th January 2017 at 08:01 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 08:56 AM   #465
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Pity that the Red Army Choir isn't around anymore.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
The Russian Army didn't maintain that? Pity.
Old 6th January 2017, 09:04 AM   #466
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Did you miss the news ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38432800
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 09:17 AM   #467
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Yes, I did miss this.

My sympathies to the friends and families of the lost soldiers.
Old 6th January 2017, 09:18 AM   #468
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

It is wrong to purchase at that time because it is fruit from a poisoned tree.
Wow, now you're getting almost religious about this. Weird.

Quote:
I'm not better at consuming music. That is why I don't. When I became aware of how I was not able to do it right, I stopped childishly listening in 2008 until such a time I can do the form justice.
“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”
C.S. Lewis
Old 6th January 2017, 09:21 AM   #469
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

They did up until a couple weeks ago: http://www.npr.org/2016/12/27/507142...red-army-choir
luchog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 09:27 AM   #470
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Yes, I did miss this.

My sympathies to the friends and families of the lost soldiers.

It sure was underreported, given the tragedy it is for the whole country. Maybe in the current climate as an act of "if you don't have something nice to say, say nothing" good will.
Old 6th January 2017, 10:11 AM   #471
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It was reported on the BBC.

I remember back in the days of my youth when there were more variety shows on the TV (Before the rise of 'reality' TV) The Red Army Choir used to make appearances quite a lot.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 10:29 AM   #472
Segnosaur
Philosopher

You couldn’t get a more appropriately named band to play at Trump’s inauguration – and they’re not afraid!

Country music mega act Big & Rich is not afraid of the backlash other acts have got for even considering performing at President-elect Donald Trump’s inauguration.

"Save a horse, ride a cowboy"

Great... they can play all their hit songs at the inauguration.

Which I guess means they will just repeat the song "Save a Horse" over and over again.

I skimmed through that article... what stood out to me was that one of the performers was friends with Trump after his appearance on Celebrity Apprentice... But given the fact that that show is often stocked with C-list celebrities and has-beens, its not exactly a sign of their success if they appear on that show.

Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer
I cheered when then the WTC came down. - UndercoverElephant (a.k.a. JustGeoff)
I cheer Bin Laden... - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Bin Laden delivered justice - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Men shop for lingerie the way kids shop for breakfast cereal... they will buy something they know nothing about, just to get the prize inside. - Jeff Foxworthy
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 11:01 AM   #473
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Would be nice if they had to get a Big Cat show (Lions, Tigers, Cougars, etc.) and the act sprayed the show (audience and the Idiot-in-Chief)................. I suspect he's a Golden Shower kind of guy anyway!!!!!!!! Drumpfs are like that.....

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 11:48 AM   #474
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I would advise anyone who has doubts about Jackie Evanchos' vocal talent to listen to one of her renditions, here is one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2YRCjBzZSg It's not modified, it's just a straight national anthem, but it's a good test for a singer.
Yes, some pipes. Plus she is an underage blonde of Eastern European descent. If she were in one of Donald's teen beauty pageants, he would be loitering backstage to catch a glimpse of her tits. Sorry, I know that sounds crude and vulgar. It sounds like something Trump would say.

I look at auditions a lot and hadn't realized I'd already seen hers. She is technically extremely accomplished. There's something remote about her. Preternaturally self-possessed. That's what I thought when I saw the opera aria clip on YouTube. She connects with the music, but not as much with the audience. She's a great pick for the inauguration. If anyone watches, remember she's the sort of teenager Donald would like to see naked, and would grab by the pudendum if he thought he could get away with it. Or maybe he'd just brag about it, without really doing it.

Last edited by Minoosh; 6th January 2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Fixed a widow; AP-approved usage of "blonde"
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 12:00 PM   #475
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I doubt the hunt for big names is to do the anthem. To be more accurate, to "just do the anthem". It's the ball(s) later. He wants to have the impression that the glitterati is in his camp, particularly some early Clinton supporters. Why else approach Perry?
I did not even know Rick Perry could sing.

Would Ray Charles have done it? Johnny Cash? Freddie Mercury?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 12:09 PM   #476
sts60
Master Poster

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Would be nice if they had to get a Big Cat show (Lions, Tigers, Cougars, etc.) and the act sprayed the show (audience and the Idiot-in-Chief)................. I suspect he's a Golden Shower kind of guy anyway!!!!!!!! Drumpfs are like that.....
Come on. As much as I despise Trump and his gang, this is just pointless.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 12:14 PM   #477
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

And I ride into the city
I make a lot of noise
'Cause the girls
They are so pretty
On my old stud leroy
And the girls say

Who?
Old 6th January 2017, 12:46 PM   #478
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post

I look at auditions a lot and hadn't realized I'd already seen hers.
Her tits? Just kidding, yes she is an underage cutie. Kind of a religious type though, I don't think she would take kindly to The Donald sneaking a peek.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 10:28 PM   #479
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I would advise anyone who has doubts about Jackie Evanchos' vocal talent to listen to one of her renditions, here is one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2YRCjBzZSg It's not modified, it's just a straight national anthem, but it's a good test for a singer.
You want to hear the National Anthem done well - there is really only one version to listen to:

I AGREE
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 10:46 PM   #480
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
You want to hear the National Anthem done well - there is really only one version to listen to:

I AGREE
My favorite:
I AGREE
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics