ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th December 2016, 11:39 AM   #41
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Trump: "Hey! Play that Wango the Tango song!"
Nugent: "uh, that's not the song and I don't do that any...
Trump: "Then play that Journey to the Center of your Mind"
Nugent: "I'm in hell..."
You think Kid Rock will break out the ol' Confederate flag?

Maybe sing Sweet Home Alabama?
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 11:46 AM   #42
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
You think Kid Rock will break out the ol' Confederate flag?

Maybe sing Sweet Home Alabama?
Trump: "Hey! Play that Werewolves of London song"
Kid Rock: "Uh, I just sampled the riff from that for my so...
Trump: "I said play it!"

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 11:51 AM   #43
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
The Oligarchy.

Remember that group who were bailed out after the crash they created?

Yep - THAT protected group.
What on earth does that mean in the context of this thread?
Old 24th December 2016, 04:08 PM   #44
imodium
Thinker

Skrewdriver would perform for him I'm sure.
imodium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 04:10 PM   #45
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind

https://youtu.be/ls1YVhcLD2c
Old 24th December 2016, 04:32 PM   #46
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Seems like the Rockettes want a freedom of conscience exemption to avoid serving a paying customer. Because the Rockettes, like all progs, are hateful hypocritical douchebags.
Does their objection rely upon the immutable qualities of the customer?

If not, then you're making a false equivalence.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 04:50 PM   #47
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
Perfect on so many levels.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 05:16 PM   #48
Shiner
Motor Mouth

I guess you guys aren't going to let the bitterness go any time soon, huh?

Quote:
ANDREA BOCELLI
The Italian tenor was reportedly approached personally by Trump after one of his concerts at Madison Square Garden this month, and was apparently considering it. But after he started taking “too much heat” from fans on social media, complete with the #BoycottBocelli hashtag, he decided to back out
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...n-invites.html
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 05:28 PM   #49
shuize
Master Poster

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post

... your "peyote smoking Native American drug counselors" example is just as ludicrous ...

Apparently you are also unfamiliar with the legislative history behind the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

Normally I'd spend a little more time making you eat your "ludicrous" statement, but since it's Christmas in my part of the world, I'll end your humiliation quickly.

From Employment Division v. Smith, the Supreme Court decision responsible for the Religious Freedom Restoration Act:

Quote:
Respondents Smith and Black were fired by a private drug rehabilitation organization because they ingested peyote, a hallucinogenic drug, for sacramental purposes at a ceremony of their Native American Church. Their applications for unemployment compensation were denied by the State of Oregon under a state law disqualifying employees discharged for work-related "misconduct."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/494/872

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/2000bb
shuize is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 05:37 PM   #50
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Shiner View Post

Oh no, a hashtag on twitter? Thank God Trump doesn't do anything like that. You know, like the time he called out that college girl, then she received death and rape threats. Or the hashtag he started to lock up Hillary, and then the crooked Hillary that followed.

Wait, wasn't I just being told that it's the left that are hypocrites? Always a travesty when it happens to your people. Besides I hate to be a spoil sport, but that doesn't say **** about death threats. Another non-sequitur.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 05:40 PM   #51
fuelair
Suspended

I still loathe Nixon, Reagan and Bush!!!!What do you think?
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 09:12 PM   #52
Shiner
Motor Mouth

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Oh no, a hashtag on twitter? Thank God Trump doesn't do anything like that. You know, like the time he called out that college girl, then she received death and rape threats. Or the hashtag he started to lock up Hillary, and then the crooked Hillary that followed.

Wait, wasn't I just being told that it's the left that are hypocrites? Always a travesty when it happens to your people. Besides I hate to be a spoil sport, but that doesn't say **** about death threats. Another non-sequitur.
Because tit-for-tat is so very adult, right? It's very sad to watch.
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 09:14 PM   #53
Shiner
Motor Mouth

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Do you froth at the mouth when you shout type?
Old 24th December 2016, 09:21 PM   #54
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

I think yes, you sure DO loathe Nixon, Reagan and Bush. (!!!!)
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 09:50 PM   #55
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
The featured headliners for Inauguration Day are the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Rockettes (dancing troupe) because nearly everyone else turned the event down. And the dancers themselves are up in arms because they have been basically roped into it by their contracts.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...ration-n699296
My understanding is that it was only a few that squawked about it.

DEATH ALWAYS RIDES SHOTGUN
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 10:09 PM   #56
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
My understanding is that it was only a few that squawked about it.
Regardless, the idea Trump has scheduled the Rockettes only serves to emphasize his misogyny. In any other setting, they'd be wonderful. But given Trump's pussy grabbing, trophy wife trade-ups and his emphasis on women's sexuality above all other qualities women have ... it adds up to disgusting.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2016, 12:38 AM   #57
fuelair
Suspended

Do you froth at the mouth when you shout type?
Not at all I am afraid. Sorry to let you down - just like to make sure it is big enough and clear enough that republickers do not miss it or overlook it on purpose!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2016, 02:39 AM   #58
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Seems like the Rockettes want a freedom of conscience exemption to avoid serving a paying customer. Because the Rockettes, like all progs, are hateful hypocritical douchebags.
More like fear of the self-admitted p***y-grabber barging into their dressing rooms. Asking those women is like asking a Jewish caterer to cater a Nazi gathering.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2016, 02:44 AM   #59
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by shuize View Post
Exactly. When the shoe's on the other foot, you will be made to care. But when it's their convictions, "Hey, that's, like, totally different and stuff, Man."

As best I can tell, religious freedom/freedom of conscience is good when it involves peyote smoking Native American drug counselors or performers who just don't like Trump. But double plus ungood when it involves religious employers who don't want to pay for abortions or bakers who prefer not to cater homosexual weddings.
And the threat to their safety means nothing to you, of course. Only a deep in the swamp misogynist would make those women dance for Trump. (And I don't throw that word around very often.)
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2016, 02:51 AM   #60
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Everything for those inside the State, nothing for those outside the State.
Please go peddle that arch-Libertarian/Stephan Molyneux crap elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
OP's info is a bit out of date - this was a concern a few days ago, but their management has since stated that they are not required to perform.

IMO, if their contracts required it, I wouldn't see much issue with management stating "no, this is our job, do it or leave." And of course, I also wouldn't have much problem with the Rockettes leaving en masse in response. But it seems that this is not the case after all, so...that's fine as well.

BTW, the appropriate analogy to bakers refusing to bake for a same-sex couple would be Rockettes management refusing to perform for Trump because he was straight, or something similar. It's always bizarre to me when people think that "sexual predator" is analogous to "gay".
They're "not required", but you know as well as I how employers make it clear that you do what you're told or else.

And you would be perfectly file with requiring women to willingly place themselves at risk of sexual assault? I've seen some WTF things said on these forums, but you just reached the bottom of the swamp with that one.
Old 25th December 2016, 03:06 AM   #61
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I see.

More of that high moral fiber that conservatives claim? Dixie Chicks say something bad about the Bush-Cheney War so it's okay to boycott them and demonstrate displeasure. Cracker Barrel wants to stop carrying the merchandise of a feeble minded old bigot, so it's okay for the AFA and similar groups to organize a boycott of Cracker Barrel. "Free Speech, Man!"

How's this any different? Oooh, I know. "Because liberals." I love this special snowflake treatment Republicans want. It's our duty to rally behind the office of the President for the good of the country? Like the GOP Caucuses in Congress did when they rallied behind Obama, "for the good of the country"?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2016, 04:58 AM   #62
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I hear Rosie O'Donnell is available as a warm-up act.

Or get Penn. He says "yes" to everything!
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2016, 05:05 AM   #63
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post

And you would be perfectly file with requiring women to willingly place themselves at risk of sexual assault? I've seen some WTF things said on these forums, but you just reached the bottom of the swamp with that one.
What does that mean? It sounds bad, but I don't understand the concept behind the phrasing. Is it victim blaming?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2016, 05:57 AM   #64
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
What does that mean? It sounds bad, but I don't understand the concept behind the phrasing. Is it victim blaming?
You're not aware that women in the presence of Trump are more likely to be victims of sexual assault than those who aren't?
Old 25th December 2016, 06:57 AM   #65
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
You're not aware that women in the presence of Trump are more likely to be victims of sexual assault than those who aren't?
I find that seriously hard to believe, do you have any sort of a citation to back up that assertion?
Old 25th December 2016, 07:07 AM   #66
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Um... no. How is that supposed to work, and how is dancing on a stage connected to an increased risk of sexual assault? One might as well say traveling to D.C. does the same.

Besides all that, the narrative is supposed to be that women should do whatever they want because cautioning them otherwise only empowers the victimizer... somehow. Next thing we know we'll be telling these women not to do any sexually suggestive moves on stage. Or something.

My suggestion is this: If you don't want to be sexually assaulted, just don't read Donald Trump's twitter feed.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2016, 07:09 AM   #67
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Reading The Hair's tweets about this are delicious. It really seems to be suffering over the rejection.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2016, 07:13 AM   #68
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I find that seriously hard to believe, do you have any sort of a citation to back up that assertion?
Um... no. How is that supposed to work, and how is dancing on a stage connected to an increased risk of sexual assault? One might as well say traveling to D.C. does the same.

Besides all that, the narrative is supposed to be that women should do whatever they want because cautioning them otherwise only empowers the victimizer... somehow. Next thing we know we'll be telling these women not to do any sexually suggestive moves on stage. Or something.

My suggestion is this: If you don't want to be sexually assaulted, just don't read Donald Trump's twitter feed.
1) Trump's own words on how he behaves when he meets women - from memory something like"when you're s star, you can get away with anything, Grab em by the pussy"
2) Testimony from women who have been assaulted in the manner Trump describes
3) Trump's words about going back stage when females are getting changed
Old 25th December 2016, 07:34 AM   #69
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Aside from the man's own words?
Old 25th December 2016, 07:41 AM   #70
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I see.

More of that high moral fiber that conservatives claim? Dixie Chicks say something bad about the Bush-Cheney War so it's okay to boycott them and demonstrate displeasure. Cracker Barrel wants to stop carrying the merchandise of a feeble minded old bigot, so it's okay for the AFA and similar groups to organize a boycott of Cracker Barrel. "Free Speech, Man!"

How's this any different? Oooh, I know. "Because liberals." I love this special snowflake treatment Republicans want. It's our duty to rally behind the office of the President for the good of the country? Like the GOP Caucuses in Congress did when they rallied behind Obama, "for the good of the country"?
I do not boycott Cracker Barrel but I do not eat there any longer. Only for the most important reason a person should have - 5+ years ago their stuff (food) took an amazing and rapid drop in quality. I have retried them (all different stores) at least 6 times and they were bad, not tasting good every single time. I thus stopped trying. - note haven't had that happen in any other restaurant. I miss the food at C B but as it was, it is worthless now - or might as well be as I have no intent of eating there again.

Last edited by fuelair; 25th December 2016 at 08:05 AM. Reason: + as
Old 25th December 2016, 07:43 AM   #71
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
1) Trump's own words on how he behaves when he meets women - from memory something like"when you're s star, you can get away with anything, Grab em by the pussy"
2) Testimony from women who have been assaulted in the manner Trump describes
3) Trump's words about going back stage when females are getting changed
And I'm supposed to connect those dots to come up with: "...requiring women to willingly place themselves at risk of sexual assault" ?

I might be in the wrong class because there's a crapload of prerequisites I'm missing. But since we've tracked the rabbit this far, is the new rule going to be that Donald Trump must become some kind of gender hermit - remaining at some safe distance (likely measured in miles) from all females, lest he suddenly commit sexual assault on them? For surely we must strive to reduce the risk here.

I have no doubt that any of the Rockettes could, without much trouble, knock the 70-year-old Trump on his powdered butt, and probably not even have to use their legs to do so.

Becoming president makes you more vulnerable to scandal, not less.
Old 25th December 2016, 07:44 AM   #72
fuelair
Suspended

Don't play silly, we know you are not - the problem is not on stage, it is when Trump decides to honor them with a visit in the dressing room while they are changing costumes/clothes. As he has unquestionably/admittedly done to others including young girls in the past!!!!! Just caught that this had been ninjaed above!!! ChristianProgressive /post 58 noted it!!!!!!!

Last edited by fuelair; 25th December 2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 25th December 2016, 07:46 AM   #73
fuelair
Suspended

And I'm supposed to connect those dots to come up with: "...requiring women to willingly place themselves at risk of sexual assault" ?

I might be in the wrong class because there's a crapload of prerequisites I'm missing. But since we've tracked the rabbit this far, is the new rule going to be that Donald Trump must become some kind of gender hermit - remaining at some safe distance (likely measured in miles) from all females, lest he suddenly commit sexual assault on them? For surely we must strive to reduce the risk here.

I have no doubt that any of the Rockettes could, without much trouble, knock the 70-year-old Trump on his powdered butt, and probably not even have to use their legs to do so.

Becoming president makes you more vulnerable to scandal, not less.
They could and I have no problem with them doing so - but his security would - and would almost certainly be chosen for overreaction.
Old 25th December 2016, 07:48 AM   #74
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Don't play silly, we know you are not - the problem is not on stage, it is when Trump decides to honor them with a visit in the dressing room while they are changing costumes/clothes. As he has unquestionably/admittedly done to others including young girls in the past!!!!!
OMG!!

These are adults, right?

How is this even taken seriously? It's like I've been transported to Tehran.

ETA: Just in case though: https://www.rainn.org/national-resou...eir-loved-ones

Last edited by marplots; 25th December 2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 25th December 2016, 08:01 AM   #75
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I feel like I need to lay out the story problem for my own satisfaction.

The idea is that a newly elected president, at his own inauguration, is going to sneak backstage to catch women changing for the show. And further, this is deemed so likely that these same women - established stage professionals - feel it constitutes a credible risk of sexual assault.

Instead of, say, some of the women don't like Trump and don't want to perform at his inauguration?

Has anyone suggested they could change into their outfits at their hotels and just do hair and makeup at the venue?
Old 25th December 2016, 08:10 AM   #76
fuelair
Suspended

I feel like I need to lay out the story problem for my own satisfaction.

The idea is that a newly elected president, at his own inauguration, is going to sneak backstage to catch women changing for the show. And further, this is deemed so likely that these same women - established stage professionals - feel it constitutes a credible risk of sexual assault.

Instead of, say, some of the women don't like Trump and don't want to perform at his inauguration?

Has anyone suggested they could change into their outfits at their hotels and just do hair and makeup at the venue?
Why should they need to, why cannot the not female persons simply stay out of the dressing room?
Old 25th December 2016, 08:23 AM   #77
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

OMG!!

These are adults, right?

How is this even taken seriously? It's like I've been transported to Tehran.

ETA: Just in case though: https://www.rainn.org/national-resou...eir-loved-ones

Do you deny that it happened?

Do you deny that Trump would feel even more powerful today then when it last happened?

What's it look like under the sand, anyway?
Old 25th December 2016, 08:26 AM   #78
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Why should they need to, why cannot the not female persons simply stay out of the dressing room?
Isn't the idea to reduce the risk of sexual assault? Doing things to reduce that risk would seem to be as spot on as possible. Of the two courses of action, not showing up at all and changing in one's hotel room, the second seems much less a radical idea than the first.
Old 25th December 2016, 08:31 AM   #79
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Do you deny that it happened?

Do you deny that Trump would feel even more powerful today then when it last happened?

What's it look like under the sand, anyway?
No, I don't deny that it happened. No, I don't deny that Trump is more powerful today than then.

The part I'm having trouble with is that those two things add up to cancelling a performance. I think it's political. Which is fine. I could see where people might not want to attend a Bill Cosby show using the same kind of protest logic. But the bit about increased risk of sexual assault is silly.

Last edited by marplots; 25th December 2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 25th December 2016, 09:18 AM   #80
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

So is voting in that piece of ****.

But that happened, didn't it?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics