IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , donald trump , presidential candidates , racism charges , Trump supporters

Old 4th September 2015, 05:11 AM   #161
carlitos
"más divertido"

Well to his credit Trump is successfully trolling the opposition into thinking he's Hitler.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2015, 07:31 AM   #162
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
From link:

As for your headline, I am doubtful that these are typical Trump supporters. If you have evidence of your assertion please post it.
Just in case anyone is interested, there was a good piece on the ‘Fresh Air’ just yesterday on how Donald Trump is very popular with white nationalist groups, and that the core of the Trump supporters are such individuals.

http://www.npr.org/2015/09/03/437195...n-donald-trump

How White Nationalist Groups Found Their Candidate In Donald Trump

This is FRESH AIR. I'm Terry Gross. When Donald Trump announced his candidacy, my guest, Evan Osnos, was reporting on extremist white rights groups. What he quickly discovered was that Trump's anti-immigration message was resonating with these groups. Osnos writes, quote, "ever since the Tea Party's peak in 2010 and its fade, citizens on the American far-right - patriot militias, border vigilantes, white supremacists - have searched for a standard-bearer, and now they'd found him. In the past, white nationalists, as they call themselves, had described Trump as a Jew lover, but the new tone of his campaign was a revelation," unquote. Osnos's article about Trump's white nationalist support was recently published in The New Yorker, where he's a staff writer covering politics and foreign affairs. Osnos was based in Beijing covering China for eight years. He returned to the U.S. two years ago. His book "Age Of Ambition: Chasing Fortune, Truth And Faith In The New China" won the 2014 National Book Award in nonfiction. Let's start with a clip from Trump's June 16 speech announcing his candidacy. These comments about Mexicans are an example of what sparked the approval of many white nationalists.

TRUMP: It's true, and these aren't the best and the finest. When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people, but I speak to border guards, and they tell us what we're getting.

OSNOS: We're not saying, by any means, that every Trump supporter is a white nationalist. In fact, what you see - Trump has this vast range of different kinds of supporters. You know, he's leading in all of the categories of Republican voters. So he leads on - he leads among men. He leads among women. He leads among moderate Republicans, and he leads among conservative Republicans. But what you see when you drill down on the numbers is that the broad majority of his support comes from two pools. And one pool are Americans without a college degree, and the other pool are Americans who feel that immigration threatens the future of the country.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2015, 07:44 AM   #163
carlitos
"más divertido"

NPR shows contempt for Americans without university degrees. That shocks me.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2015, 09:08 AM   #164
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
NPR shows contempt for Americans without university degrees. That shocks me.
Critical thinking is your friend.
Old 4th September 2015, 09:30 AM   #165
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Just in case anyone is interested, there was a good piece on the ‘Fresh Air’ just yesterday on how Donald Trump is very popular with white nationalist groups, and that the core of the Trump supporters are such individuals.
The core of Trump supporters are white nationalist groups?
I don't see the story supporting that claim.

Also, the issue that I was addressing in my post had to do with violence. I was questioning whether these two violent racists were "typical Trump supporters." I see nothing in the story showing that violence against minorities is a typical trait among Trump supporters.
Old 4th September 2015, 09:50 AM   #166
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Critical thinking is your friend.

Indeed.
Old 4th September 2015, 10:42 AM   #167
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Indeed.
Fine, I'll stop being coy. Can you point out to me how/where "NPR shows contempt for Americans without university degrees?"
Old 4th September 2015, 12:15 PM   #168
Crossbow

[quote=Ladewig;10855922]The core of Trump supporters are white nationalist groups?
I don't see the story supporting that claim.[quote]

Oh really? Well then, perhaps you missed this bit:

And so 12 days after Donald Trump announced his candidacy, the Daily Stormer, which is the largest neo-Nazi news site in America, endorsed him for president. And it said to its readers, we generally do not take a position in politics. We don't think politics has anything for us, but Donald Trump is saying the right things. He's talking about things in a way that we agree with, and for that reason, we're throwing our support behind him. And that, for me, was a signal that something was going on that I hadn't anticipated.

Quote:
Also, the issue that I was addressing in my post had to do with violence. I was questioning whether these two violent racists were "typical Trump supporters." I see nothing in the story showing that violence against minorities is a typical trait among Trump supporters.
Well, I seriously doubt that one can get accurate statistics from people who want to be violent towards minorities or anyone else.

Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2015, 12:51 PM   #169
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
The core of Trump supporters are white nationalist groups?
I don't see the story supporting that claim.
Oh really? Well then, perhaps you missed this bit:

And so 12 days after Donald Trump announced his candidacy, the Daily Stormer, which is the largest neo-Nazi news site in America, endorsed him for president. And it said to its readers, we generally do not take a position in politics. We don't think politics has anything for us, but Donald Trump is saying the right things. He's talking about things in a way that we agree with, and for that reason, we're throwing our support behind him. And that, for me, was a signal that something was going on that I hadn't anticipated.

Even if 100% of Neo-Nazis support Trump that doesn't necessarily mean that Neo-Nazis are represented in large enough numbers to be considered typical Trump supporters.

About 40% of the population identifies as Republican or Republican leaning. If Trump's numbers were around 25% (I.e. 25% of Republicans or Republican leaners). That means 10% of the population was supporting Trump a few weeks ago. If there are ~240 million Americans over 18, then we have 24 million Trump supporters.

So the question now becomes if you have a group of 24 million people, how large does a segment with common traits have to be before you can say that this particular segment "represents the typical supporter." 70%? 60%? 50%? 40%?

The second question is how many Neo-Nazis are there in the U.S.

Quote:
Well, I seriously doubt that one can get accurate statistics from people who want to be violent towards minorities or anyone else.
I concede that issue. While some folks might be prepared to argue otherwise, we can, for purposes of this thread, argue that self-identifying White Nationalists [ETA: more specifically, drunken White Nationalists] can be defined as violent enough to physically attack a minority person.

Last edited by Ladewig; 4th September 2015 at 01:00 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2015, 06:22 AM   #170
NoahFence
Banned

Quote:
Even if 100% of Neo-Nazis support Trump that doesn't necessarily mean that Neo-Nazis are represented in large enough numbers to be considered typical Trump supporters.
A good enough reason for me to confirm that Trump is a POS that doesn't deserve to be President. If he's the type of person who would garner the support of such a hateful, vile group of idiots, he's not the type of person who should run the country.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2015, 12:13 AM   #171
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

How is Trump getting away with stunts like this by his security goons?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2348516
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2015, 02:32 AM   #172
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
How is Trump getting away with stunts like this by his security goons?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2348516
To me, it appears that the answer is in the article: "As of midday Friday, no charges had been filed in the incident by either Galicia or Team Trump, the NYPD said."
Old 10th September 2015, 02:35 PM   #173
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I don't quite buy the "Core of Trump Supporters are White Natiionalist/Racists" argument yet, but I do think that Trump seems to have no problem with accepting their support and welcoming them into his "movement" speaks tons about the political ethics of Donald Trump...or rather, his total lack of political ethics.

Laedwig:I think that the time for an intellectually detached view of Trump has passed. The man has got to be stopped.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2015, 02:37 PM   #174
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
A good enough reason for me to confirm that Trump is a POS that doesn't deserve to be President. If he's the type of person who would garner the support of such a hateful, vile group of idiots, he's not the type of person who should run the country.
THIS.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2015, 04:22 PM   #175
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post

Cherry on top: His response was, "people like me across the board," and "I'll repudiate him if it makes you feel better." He's one sick pup
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2015, 04:43 PM   #176
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

My apologies if this bit of hilarity was previously posted:
Is there a profile of the average Trump supporter?
Quote:
Big Foot enthusiasts?
X-files fans?
People that religiously watch the Apprentice and threaten to sue Comcast Xfinity if a storm disrupts an episode?
People who don't wait to hear the whole answer to a question they themselves ask because they think they already know the answer and are already mentally on to the next topic?
Self-centered Xenophiles?
People who think the Great Wall of China was a simple answer to illegal immigration into the People's Republic?
People who are not 100% completely convinced that Hawaii is a state in the US?
Chia Pet collectors? (Google Chia Pet, you'll get it)
People who think that the only thing missing from the Taj Mahal is the giant words "Taj Ma" in metallic gold adorning the front of it?
People who think that tipping your waitress with advice on getting a better job rather than giving any actual money is "Classy"?
People who don't believe in the concept of a "Filter"?
And last, People who will look at this list and not see any humor or sarcasm in it.

There's a whole slew of answers and images on the web page.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2015, 04:51 PM   #177
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
My apologies if this bit of hilarity was previously posted:
Is there a profile of the average Trump supporter?

There's a whole slew of answers and images on the web page.
Ginger it is well established your side has the low information voter. Conservatives and republicans in general are the most informed voter.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2015, 04:53 PM   #178
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Ginger it is well established your side has the low information voter. Conservatives and republicans in general are the most informed voter.
Horse-pucky.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2015, 05:04 PM   #179
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

You bet. For instance, they're well informed that Obama was born in Kenya. They're also well informed that Iraq had WMDs.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2015, 05:07 PM   #180
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That is hilarious irony, logger. Who could possibly represent the low information voter any more clearly than Trump supporters?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2015, 08:54 PM   #181
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Laedwig:I think that the time for an intellectually detached view of Trump has passed. The man has got to be stopped.
Ladewig.

I do not understand. How does my abandoning an intellectually detached view of Trump help in any way?

ETA:
In this very thread, I called him a bone head.
In other threads, I have called him a bull **** artist, a liar, a bigot, a loud-mouthed clown unqualified for political office. I have accused him of being xenophobic (and zenophobic), childish, misogynist, and dull-witted. I questioned his mental health and stability. I speculated that he might have a severe form of narcissistic personality disorder.

What view of Trump would you have me adopt?

Last edited by Ladewig; 10th September 2015 at 09:07 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2015, 09:03 PM   #182
logger
Banned

That is hilarious irony, logger. Who could possibly represent the low information voter any more clearly than Trump supporters?
Pop culture?
Who does support your side, they don't know very much, but they do know Beyoncé and Hillary Clinton. Lol
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2015, 09:05 PM   #183
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
You bet. For instance, they're well informed that Obama was born in Kenya.
Lol
The only ones who are sure Obama was born in Kenya are Kenyans.

Quote:
They're also well informed that Iraq had WMDs.
Yes and ISIS has them now.
Old 10th September 2015, 09:08 PM   #184
Dog Town
Banned

FTW!
I'm going to go with:
Shillaries, for a $1000 Alex!

*Balloons Fall*
Dog Town is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2015, 09:10 PM   #185
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Dog Town View Post
FTW!
I'm going to go with:
Shillaries, for a $1000 Alex!
Please excuse my ignorance, but what are shillaries?

Last edited by Ladewig; 10th September 2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10th September 2015, 09:46 PM   #186
Dog Town
Banned

Please excuse my ignorance, but what are shillaries?
Shill/Hill
Dog Town is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2015, 02:17 AM   #187
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Dog Town View Post
Shill/Hill
So shillaries (who were given as an example of low information voters) are shills who support Hillary Clinton?

ETA
or is it Hillary who is the shill? Therefore the candidate is Shillary and people who vote for her are Shillary supporters. But why shorten "Shillary supporters" to shillaries? If that is the case, then this is one of the stupidest political slurs since Limbaugh popularized "halfrican" as a way to describe President Obama's mixed-race heritage.

Last edited by Ladewig; 11th September 2015 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12th September 2015, 07:20 AM   #188
COLONEL
Sniper of the Galactic Universe

The Bottom line has been and still is now matter who wins the Got. will still be crooked and the American people will still be no better off then they are now.

Major Ashley-Pitt: In our experience, Americans are uncouth misfits who should be run out of their own barbaric country. Matthew Quigley: Well, Lieutenant...
Major Ashley-Pitt: Major. Matthew Quigley: Major. We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
COLONEL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2015, 08:17 AM   #189
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
You bet. For instance, they're well informed that Obama was born in Kenya. They're also well informed that Iraq had WMDs.
And death panels, sharia law in th US, global warming is a hoax, foreign policy based on biblical text, etc, etc, etc.
Old 15th September 2015, 06:19 AM   #190
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

I'd try to be cleaver with logger and pull the "does not mean what you think it means" joke, but he wouldn't get it.

How anyone can describe voters as "well informed" when they routinely vote for people who will (among other things):
  • vote to send working class jobs overseas, then
  • vote to reduce/eliminate unemployment insurance
  • vote to destroy unions (who have raised wages, benefits, brought about the 40-hour workweek, etc)
  • vote to reduce/eliminate their welfare benefits (Medicaid/Medicare, food stamps, etc)
  • vote to reduce regulatory oversight that generally ensures cleaner air/land/water
  • vote to make it more expensive to obtain higher education (which supposedly is key to economic prosperity)

And then say (with a straight face) that "the Republicans care more about me"...
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2015, 06:49 AM   #191
carlitos
"más divertido"

Very clever points.
Old 15th September 2015, 10:08 AM   #192
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

According to a recent survey, Trump supporters tend to be (1) less educated (2) more racist and (3) members of Teaparty. Shocking.

link

link
Old 15th September 2015, 02:03 PM   #193
NoahFence
Banned

I'd try to be cleaver with logger and pull the "does not mean what you think it means" joke, but he wouldn't get it.

How anyone can describe voters as "well informed" when they routinely vote for people who will (among other things):
  • vote to send working class jobs overseas, then
  • vote to reduce/eliminate unemployment insurance
  • vote to destroy unions (who have raised wages, benefits, brought about the 40-hour workweek, etc)
  • vote to reduce/eliminate their welfare benefits (Medicaid/Medicare, food stamps, etc)
  • vote to reduce regulatory oversight that generally ensures cleaner air/land/water
  • vote to make it more expensive to obtain higher education (which supposedly is key to economic prosperity)

And then say (with a straight face) that "the Republicans care more about me"...
Marketing.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2015, 07:51 PM   #194
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
According to a recent survey, Trump supporters tend to be (1) less educated (2) more racist and (3) members of Teaparty. Shocking.

link

link
And by no means should Trump himself be excluded. This from a townhall meeting today:

Quote:
Audience member: We have a problem in this country, it’s called Muslims. Our current President is one. We know he’s not even an American. We have training camps growing where they want to kill us. That’s my question, when can we get rid of them?

Trump: A lot of people are saying that and a lot of people are saying that bad things are happening out there. We’re going to be looking at that and a lot of different things.
Old 17th September 2015, 08:04 PM   #195
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

And by no means should Trump himself be excluded. This from a townhall meeting today:
WTF?!
Old 17th September 2015, 08:11 PM   #196
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

WTF?!
Trump is either racist or pandering to racists.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2015, 08:25 PM   #197
logger
Banned

And you vote for people that are so incredibly hostile to your professed faith?

This forums largest enemy by far is who ChristianProgressive? Your Christian God.

Last edited by logger; 17th September 2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 17th September 2015, 09:23 PM   #198
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

And you vote for people that are so incredibly hostile to your professed faith?

This forums largest enemy by far is who ChristianProgressive? Your Christian God.
Nah, we're generally ok with his Christian God.

Your Christian God, on the other hand, is a right prick.
Old 18th September 2015, 05:34 AM   #199
Crossbow

Thanks much for posting that bit from the townhall meeting.

I was about to do the same thing as an example of a typical Trump supporter.

Last edited by Crossbow; 18th September 2015 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 18th September 2015, 05:46 AM   #200
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quixotecoyote View Post
Nah, we're generally ok with his Christian God.

Your Christian God, on the other hand, is a right prick.
Yep. CP's Jesus is a peace-loving, nice guy that wants everyone to help the poor, sick and disparaged.

Logger's Jesus is a bigoted punk that hates people of color, the weak, the poor and anyone that isn't lining his pockets with money.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics