IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , donald trump , presidential candidates , racism charges , Trump supporters

Old 16th June 2016, 12:24 AM   #281
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Then you have the Hipster Trump Supporters.
They support Trump because they see him as "anti establishment" and "sticking it to the man" and will support any idiot who comes off as "Anti Status Quo". They want to tear down "The Establishment" and don't care about the damage done or what will take it's place.They want to burn down the house to get rid of a couple of mice.
I think the two most vocal Trump supporters we have here fall into that category.One of them just posted a post about "Hot Babes Who Support Trump".
The sad is they thing they are so cool and edgy.
Incorrect. I think you've failed to identify one of those demographics - most likely that of "hipster".

The Trump supporters are more like the mongos who write columns and posts putting down hipsters without having actually identified what a hipster is. An actual hipster reaction to Trump is going to be more like "Hey, I was against Trump twenty years ago. I've got someone I'm going to vote for, but he's too obscure for your limited intellect to understand."

Read any of the pop culture sites and replace every third sentence of hipster criticism with "Loser!" and you'll get the drift. I'd be willing to bet that the hipster enclaves are about 90:10 against Trump.

Oh, and yes.... that's my son in his trilby. It's a trilby morans, not a fedora.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 16th June 2016 at 12:25 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 02:22 AM   #282
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

A SOMEWHAT better source of demographic information...

Prime predictors: High-school drop out, race: "American", lives in or around a trailer park.

Last edited by Shadowdweller; 16th June 2016 at 02:27 AM.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 02:26 AM   #283
JPK
Graduate Poster

Good morning.
Typical Trump supporter? You mean these are real supporters? I thought he was still hiring actors to play the part of supporters, like he did one year ago when he made his announcement that he would be running for POTUS.

Donald Trump Campaign Offered Actors $50 to Cheer for Him at Presidential Announcement
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-actors-803161
John Kardel
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 09:20 AM   #284
COLONEL
Sniper of the Galactic Universe

I have come to the conclusion that no matter who wins the race America is F*&#ed but I think I would trust Trump over Hillary as Hillary has been caught in so many lies. Maybe Trump should be made to have Hillary as a VP, just to keep things interesting.

Major Ashley-Pitt: In our experience, Americans are uncouth misfits who should be run out of their own barbaric country. Matthew Quigley: Well, Lieutenant...
Major Ashley-Pitt: Major. Matthew Quigley: Major. We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
COLONEL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 09:25 AM   #285
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by COLONEL View Post
I have come to the conclusion that no matter who wins the race America is F*&#ed but I think I would trust Trump over Hillary as Hillary has been caught in so many lies. Maybe Trump should be made to have Hillary as a VP, just to keep things interesting.
As opposed to those lies that Trump hasn't been caught in?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 09:32 AM   #286
COLONEL

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
As opposed to those lies that Trump hasn't been caught in?
May be true, but there is video of Hillary saying one thing and then weeks and years later of her saying just the opposite. Plus you have to admit Hillary dose a lot of flip flopping and tells people what they want to hear. Years ago she was against gay marriage and gay rights and now that she needs all the votes she can get she flipped flopped to supporting it.

Major Ashley-Pitt: In our experience, Americans are uncouth misfits who should be run out of their own barbaric country. Matthew Quigley: Well, Lieutenant...
Major Ashley-Pitt: Major. Matthew Quigley: Major. We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
COLONEL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 10:12 AM   #287
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

What really makes me sad is that Trump thinks those supporters are typical of Americans. And he's far too close to being right.
Old 16th June 2016, 10:18 AM   #288
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
A SOMEWHAT better source of demographic information...

Prime predictors: High-school drop out, race: "American", lives in or around a trailer park.
At least we don't waste our time ridiculing the people who can't afford to live in a trailer park.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 10:22 AM   #289
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

May be true, but there is video of Hillary saying one thing and then weeks and years later of her saying just the opposite. Plus you have to admit Hillary dose a lot of flip flopping and tells people what they want to hear. Years ago she was against gay marriage and gay rights and now that she needs all the votes she can get she flipped flopped to supporting it.
And in Trump you can get videos of him flip flopping in the same day, I suspect there are ones out there of him reversing himself in the same speech. But no one expects anything he says to make sense or be accurate so he gets a pass.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 10:23 AM   #290
NoahFence
Banned

Please don't take this personal, but are you for real?

There is documented evidence of Trump changing his tune, saying conflicting things within minutes of each statement.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 10:27 AM   #291
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I will take a liar over a psychotic egomaniacal,narcisstic authoritarian every day of the week.
Not that Donald Is not a huge liar also.....

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 16th June 2016 at 10:44 AM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 11:48 AM   #292
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

How about this guy, seems like your typical trump supporter.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2674196
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 04:20 PM   #293
COLONEL

Yes I am for real, As a Veteran I would rather serve under Trump who is not afraid to go after the bad guys, Unlike Obama and Hillary who would not even send help to the men and women in Benghazi . Heaven for bid we might offend some one and hurt their feelings.

Old 16th June 2016, 04:30 PM   #294
JPK
Graduate Poster

Good evening COLONEL.
Yes I am for real, As a Veteran I would rather serve under Trump who is not afraid to go after the bad guys, Unlike Obama and Hillary who would not even send help to the men and women in Benghazi . Heaven for bid we might offend some one and hurt their feelings.
You would rather serve under Trump? The man that said, McCain was no hero because he got caught. He doesn't like those that get caught. Trump the man who says he would order our military to not only kill terrorist but their family members as well? Trump the guy that just accused our military of stealing cash that was meant for the Iraqis in need? This is someone you would want to serve under?
ETA: Trump the man who's dangerous rhetoric and ridiculous statements which put our troops in far greater risk of being attacked?
John Kardel

Last edited by JPK; 16th June 2016 at 04:36 PM.
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 04:48 PM   #295
COLONEL

Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Good evening COLONEL.

You would rather serve under Trump? The man that said, McCain was no hero because he got caught. He doesn't like those that get caught. Trump the man who says he would order our military to not only kill terrorist but their family members as well? Trump the guy that just accused our military of stealing cash that was meant for the Iraqis in need? This is someone you would want to serve under?
ETA: Trump the man who's dangerous rhetoric and ridiculous statements which put our troops in far greater risk of being attacked?
YES ! Wipe out the terrorist and their family and I guarantee people will stop messing with the US once they learn of the consequences. By the way Trump collected and gave money to us veterans and our Veterans groups what has obama or hillary done for us vets.

Old 16th June 2016, 04:48 PM   #296
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Before you foist this tired rubbish again, perhaps you will go back to the last time you foisted, and where it was proven that you and/or your buddy are peddling steaming BS.
Old 16th June 2016, 04:54 PM   #297
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

YES ! Wipe out the terrorist and their family and I guarantee people will stop messing with the US once they learn of the consequences. By the way Trump collected and gave money to us veterans and our Veterans groups what has obama or hillary done for us vets.
Yes, genocide is always the solution.
Old 16th June 2016, 04:54 PM   #298
JPK
Graduate Poster

After it was shown that he had not infact gave money and was all over the news.
John Kardel
Old 16th June 2016, 05:00 PM   #299
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind

What Trump is preaching is hate. You can replace "moooslim" with ******, chink, gook...and you have the exact same ******** that has brought suffering on people since we learned to speak.

Donald trump is the greatest ISIL enlistment officer anyone could have dreamed up. At a time when we need to make our Muslim-american neighbors feel like americans and not like outcasts he has done every hateful, bigoted, narrow minded, asinine thing possible to prevent peace.

If I found out tomorrow Muslim Americans were being required to "register" in a database (wearing the gold star for the 21st century) and excluded from this country the very first thing I would do is find the nearest mosque and start wearing a burqua. What Donald Trump is brain washing you people to believe is the exact opposite of what our country was built on. What happens to one american should happen to all Americans, and I personally will not stand and watch while my neighbors are treated like vermin.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free". When my great grandparents walked past the statue of liberty and saw this inscription, they were hated as the "destroyers of america". I will not stand by and watch other Americans be treated like that, and it sickens me so many people are so ignorant and gullible they will allow racism to rule them.

ISIL has killed more Muslims than any other group of people. Muslims are at the biggest risk, not us. We are so used to pretending the rest of the world doesn't exist, when what we need to do is provide a welcoming place for those who have to escape. If you live in a place where your choices were ISIL or death, you'd choose ISIL too. But instead of providing an alternative...come here, work, be free to be Muslim...we exclude, segregate, and hate on people.

We are not at war with islam. You do realize that most of Africa is Muslim? We aren't at war with a religion. We are at war with a tolitarian regime with uses false ideology for control and a semblance of legitimacy. Maybe if we weren't blaring the trumpets of war and hate, that false ideology wouldn't be so convincing.

The United States destabilized the middle east. We killed the fathers, we ruined the economy. And now we say, these people are all evil, instead of understand that we **** in their backyard and left them to clean it up. They see us as evil and colonialist for a very good reason...because we are.

Last edited by Magrat; 16th June 2016 at 05:02 PM.
Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 07:10 PM   #300
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

As a veteran, I assume of the Vietnam era, do you concur that you prefer your heroes not to get taken prisoner? You have any buddies who were POWs? I do. I prefer them the way they are. Alive. The reality being that if McCain wasn't a POW, he'd likely have been dead.

How about his lovely statement the other day that he wonders [just askin' questions, mind you] how rich some of the GIs in Iraq got. He didn't ask about Cheney or Halliburton... he asked about the grunts, fer crissake.

Trump's frame of reference is History According to Action Movies. Someone who wrote about a few days he spent with Trump said that he gets action flicks and has an assistant edit out all the talking stuff and watches thirty minute versions of only the shooting and killing. He thinks POWs should be Rambo and fight their way out. He thinks that the flicks with the GIs looting Saddam's millions and making off with old masters and tons of bullion are the actual history. It's fantasy, as you know.

Soldiers. Doing a job. And this turd-slinger has the audacity to imply that they were either cowards or were there to steal. Worse, the pinheads in the crowd don't storm the stage and lynch him. They cheer him on.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 16th June 2016 at 07:13 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 07:14 PM   #301
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Before you foist this tired rubbish again, perhaps you will go back to the last time you foisted, and where it was proven that you and/or your buddy are peddling steaming BS.
You got to it before me.

So, Colonel, what about it?
Old 16th June 2016, 07:24 PM   #302
Maya22
Graduate Poster

YES ! Wipe out the terrorist and their family and I guarantee people will stop messing with the US once they learn of the consequences.

So, in addition to killing all of the terrorists, you also want their spouses, children, siblings, cousins, parents, grandparents, nieces, nephews, aunts and uncles to be killed? Who would do this killing?

How would a small baby or a frail elderly person pose a danger?

What would be the purpose of this potential genocide, other than "to get eople to stop messing with us?"

One more question: do you know anyone who has ever killed an unarmed civilian? Just wondering.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.

Last edited by Maya22; 16th June 2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Grammar
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 07:35 PM   #303
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Your statement is one of evil. It would cause many to take up arms against the US, and they would be justified in doing so. Thankfully, the US military is many times more moral that you are and would willfully disobey such orders.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 07:44 PM   #304
JPK
Graduate Poster

Good evening tyr_13
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Your statement is one of evil. It would cause many to take up arms against the US, and they would be justified in doing so. Thankfully, the US military is many times more moral that you are and would willfully disobey such orders.
When Trump was talking about the killing of the families of terrorists, I got the impression that he felt there was some objections to his proposed policy but felt that's just because it would be illegal to do as the rules currently are. Once hes the top dog, he would change the rules and by doing so then all of our soldiers would happily go along with his orders. I suspect he believes that our military is just waiting for his strong leadership to give them the go ahead.
He is of course very wrong.
ETA: I wonder how long it will be before Trump suggests that the Orlando murderer's family is waterboarded to find out what they know?
John Kardel

Last edited by JPK; 16th June 2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 16th June 2016, 07:57 PM   #305
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind

Y'all know what happened last time some turd bucket said "we got attacked by those people, lock them all up"? American citizens who were of Japanese descent (or looked Japanese) lost everything they owned and spent the duration of WWII in concentration camps.

American citizens. People who were born here, raised a family here, worked and owned a home and paid taxes. Rounded and treated like criminals because they kinda looked like the people who attacked Pearl Harbor.

Of course, our soldiers were also being killed by Germans, Italians, and Russians, but you can't identify them at a glace, so whatever.

Then we marched into Germany and criticsed them for interning Jews.

So let's learn from the past. Instead of repeating past mistakes, or perpetuating them Ie Afghanistan and Iraq and Syria and... Let's quit while we are ahead and start thinking instead of talking out our asses.

As for the idea that regular grunts were gathering gold in Iraq, all I saw them gathering was death certificates. A lot of men my husband served with died over there and I caution anyone who disrespects their service to think twice about what kind of person you think you are.

Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2016, 02:56 AM   #306
applecorped
Banned

Aww shucks, can't we all just get along?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2016, 07:48 AM   #307
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RogueKitten View Post
What Trump is preaching is hate. You can replace "moooslim" with ******, chink, gook...and you have the exact same ******** that has brought suffering on people since we learned to speak.
One man's hate is another man's realpolitik I suppose.

Quote:
Donald trump is the greatest ISIL enlistment officer anyone could have dreamed up.
I think the guy who appeared in snazzy videos and cut off the heads of kafirs to the beat of an uplifting Arabic prayer has been far more persuasive.

Quote:
At a time when we need to make our Muslim-american neighbors feel like americans and not like outcasts ...
What's so special about this particular time? When somebody from a particular ethnic community perpetrates a horrible crime, then we have a duty to assuage whatever guilt that community might feel? Or even indulge them to prove that we bear no ill will to them? It's an interesting idea, but I think it lacks both a moral justification and a practical one. We owe it to them to protect their rights and their safety. More than that I think is unnecessary, and may even be counterproductive. A little shame may actually be salutary. Perhaps family members or other members of the community might be a little quicker to cooperate with police before this kind of **** goes down again.

Quote:
... he has done every hateful, bigoted, narrow minded, asinine thing possible to prevent peace.
I can think of a few he hasn't gotten around to yet.

Quote:
If I found out tomorrow Muslim Americans were being required to "register" in a database (wearing the gold star for the 21st century) and excluded from this country the very first thing I would do is find the nearest mosque and start wearing a burqua. What Donald Trump is brain washing you people to believe is the exact opposite of what our country was built on. What happens to one american should happen to all Americans, and I personally will not stand and watch while my neighbors are treated like vermin.
Such a hero you are. You have already saved us from hordes of evil strawmen and stand ready to protect us from more.

Quote:
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free". When my great grandparents walked past the statue of liberty and saw this inscription, they were hated as the "destroyers of america". I will not stand by and watch other Americans be treated like that, and it sickens me so many people are so ignorant and gullible they will allow racism to rule them.
This reminds me of a line from Austin Powers' Goldmember, which I'll paraphrase: "There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's ideologies; and Republicans."

Quote:
ISIL has killed more Muslims than any other group of people. Muslims are at the biggest risk, not us. We are so used to pretending the rest of the world doesn't exist, when what we need to do is provide a welcoming place for those who have to escape. If you live in a place where your choices were ISIL or death, you'd choose ISIL too. But instead of providing an alternative...come here, work, be free to be Muslim...we exclude, segregate, and hate on people.
If you know an effective way to distinguish the ISIS sympathizers from those who are willing to adopt our values and assimilate, then you should call up the Department of Homeland Security and teach it to them. Because I have a feeling they've been playing Russian roulette.

Quote:
We are not at war with islam. You do realize that most of Africa is Muslim?
I'm not sure why this would be relevant, even if it were true (which it is not).

Quote:
We aren't at war with a religion. We are at war with a tolitarian regime with uses false ideology for control and a semblance of legitimacy. Maybe if we weren't blaring the trumpets of war and hate, that false ideology wouldn't be so convincing.
Why a false ideology? What makes it false, and why would it matter? Do you mean that it's different from what the vast majority of Muslims believe? Likely so, but that dangerous ideology still draws almost all of its adherents from the Ummah. And almost all of its sympathizers (a far greater number). You're not going to find many ISIS inspired lone wolfs among the Southern Baptist population. Or the Catholics. Or the Mormons, the Mennonites and the Jews. Or Hindus probably. Or Buddhists. I doubt even atheists would be tempted by the prospect of creating a new caliphate. I could speculate as to why Muslims are more attracted to ISIS's ideology than others, but it doesn't really matter. The statistics speak for themselves.

Quote:
The United States destabilized the middle east. We killed the fathers, we ruined the economy. And now we say, these people are all evil, instead of understand that we **** in their backyard and left them to clean it up. They see us as evil and colonialist for a very good reason...because we are.
You must have learned your history from Obama. Regardless, if you think we are evil and colonialist, then you must have very high standards indeed. Standards that virtually no other nation or ethnic group has ever met. Certainly not anything that has ever existed in the Muslim world.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2016, 08:48 AM   #308
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Aww shucks, can't we all just get along?
Not when someone advocates for killing non-combatant families we cant. Sorry, no compromise on this one. It's an evil idea, that's also harmful to us.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2016, 09:14 AM   #309
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

There is documented evidence of Trump changing his tune, saying conflicting things within minutes of each statement.
"Minutes?" Pshaw. How about within the span of a single sentence?

Quote:
Trump: I don't want to have guns in classrooms although in some cases teachers should have guns in classrooms, frankly, because teachers are, you know, things that are going on in our schools are unbelievable, you look at some of our schools, unbelievable what's going on - but I'm not advocating guns in classrooms, but remember, in some cases, and a lot of people have made this case, teachers should be able to have guns, trained teachers should be able to have guns in classrooms.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2016, 09:34 AM   #310
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
"Minutes?" Pshaw. How about within the span of a single sentence?
Yeah, but that's easier with a run-on sentence
Old 17th June 2016, 11:30 AM   #311
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

First, thanks for your service. I am 4-F on three different counts, so I never had the opportunity to serve.

Three Quick questions
(1) If you were in the front lines killing the enemy, and the enemy discovered your name and snuck someone into the United States who went on to kill your wife and children, would that break your spirit and cause you to stop fighting?

(2) if your answer is no, then why do you find it so hard to believe that people of different cultures might have the same reaction as you do? If you answer was yes, then I can understand your support of Trump's planned war crimes. That is the right term, isn't it? The deliberate targeting of specific unarmed civilians who are not involved in any wartime activities.

(3) are you really so petty that you refuse to capitalize President Obama's name?

ETA
I lied, I just thought of another question.
(4) If you sincerely believe that Barrack H. Obama took office even though he was in violation of federal law related to presidential eligibility, would you please, please, please admit it. I have always wanted to meet someone who unashamedly holds that viewpoint.

MORE ETA
Friendly advice, if I were in your boots, I focus less on Hillary lied and instead play up the claim that Hillary Clinton has blood on her hands. It fits your narrative in a more succinct and pointed manner. I might even go for a Lady Macbeth analogy because it is such low-hanging fruit.

Last edited by Ladewig; 17th June 2016 at 11:44 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2016, 06:03 PM   #312
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Not when someone advocates for killing non-combatant families we cant. Sorry, no compromise on this one. It's an evil idea, that's also harmful to us.
I made an important mistake in this post.

I'm not sorry.

Please forgive my error.
Old 17th June 2016, 06:35 PM   #313
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

Most in the US military would, certainly. My nephews, for example, who are serving I am certain would not. They're strong, moral men. But events like My Lai showed that some soldiers in any army will commit atrocities if the right authority ordered it. All you need is a few rightwing authoritarian types and they'll happily line women and children up and machine-gun them all the while ranting about "protecting freedom."
Old 17th June 2016, 06:56 PM   #314
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myron Proudfoot View Post
Most in the US military would, certainly. My nephews, for example, who are serving I am certain would not. They're strong, moral men. But events like My Lai showed that some soldiers in any army will commit atrocities if the right authority ordered it. All you need is a few rightwing authoritarian types and they'll happily line women and children up and machine-gun them all the while ranting about "protecting freedom."
That's true, but ironically those who would do so would be somewhat shielded by the people above them refusing to issue the command down the chain. Trump as President would have less ability to make our troops commit such an atrocity than a lower-level commander.

I hope.
Old 18th June 2016, 05:08 AM   #315
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You really have some intrepid reporters to thank for Trump's donation. It's funny the timing of his donations and the questions he got about them.

So, you think if we deter with threats of death people who don't see their death as a negative outcome? That's going to make us safe? Fascinating.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2016, 09:59 AM   #316
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

One thing for sure -- much like Trump, many of his supporters live in a fact-free bubble, impervious to reality.

I have a friend that was in Benghazi he was at the Annex when the attack happened. his name is Kris Paronto and you can read about him in the book 13 hours or see the movie he and several others tried to save our people there and were told by Clinton to stand down.
My friend Kris was there [Benghazi] and has no reason to be telling me BS stories. His name is Kris Paronto google his name. I tend to believe him over some lying politicians. Politicians do lie! They lied to us while we were in Viet Nam too!
It's not in his book, he said it while talking to us,while we were sitting around BSing one afternoon.
Even before absorbing the damning evidence that follows, you've already defied credulity. Paronto wrote a book in which he makes no mention of Clinton issuing the purported stand down order! And you foist a personal conversation and expect readers to buy it?!

But worse yet:

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
He's [Paronto] apparently changed his story then:
Quote:
Paronto said he doesn’t necessarily believe the “stand down” he heard was nefarious or a command from on high from CIA leaders at headquarters. Rather, he said, the CIA supervisor or base chief was “very risk adverse” and probably did not know what to do.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...-debate-217622

According to your source, the CIA issued the purported order, not Clinton.

Will you now retract?
Old 18th June 2016, 11:34 AM   #317
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post

According to your source, the CIA issued the purported order, not Clinton.

Will you now retract?
Why would he? This has been pointed out to him many times before, and he continues to spew the crap. The COLONEL is clearly impervious to reality.
Old 18th June 2016, 12:54 PM   #318
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Myron Proudfoot View Post
Feel free to dismiss my case as textbook argument from incredulity, but I found it IMPOSSIBLE to believe that the US military has not, in the past 50 years, updated and clarified its training procedures related to legal and illegal orders. Most probably including My Lai as the prototypical example of what not to do.

I don't believe it is worth its own thread, but feel free to start one if you do believe so.

Last edited by Ladewig; 18th June 2016 at 01:00 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2016, 05:43 PM   #319
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Feel free to dismiss my case as textbook argument from incredulity, but I found it IMPOSSIBLE to believe that the US military has not, in the past 50 years, updated and clarified its training procedures related to legal and illegal orders. Most probably including My Lai as the prototypical example of what not to do.

I don't believe it is worth its own thread, but feel free to start one if you do believe so.
I received such training when I was in US Army Basic Training. In 1971.
Old 18th June 2016, 05:47 PM   #320
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind

My husband also received training that he was permitted to refuse an illegal order, he was in BMT in 2001. Absolutely the US military would, to a man, refuse to commit genocide on innocent people.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics