IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , donald trump , presidential candidates , racism charges , Trump supporters

Old 18th June 2016, 06:37 PM   #321
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Feel free to dismiss my case as textbook argument from incredulity, but I found it IMPOSSIBLE to believe that the US military has not, in the past 50 years, updated and clarified its training procedures related to legal and illegal orders. Most probably including My Lai as the prototypical example of what not to do.

I don't believe it is worth its own thread, but feel free to start one if you do believe so.
As someone who served in the US Army in the 80's the course you get in basic on the UCMJ (Uniform Code Of Military Justice,the law you live by in the US Military) goes into the rules of warfare in some detail. An order to delibertly kill non combatnents is illegal. (There is a gray area about "collaterial damage",but delibertly targeting non combatents is illegal).

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2016, 09:59 AM   #322
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
As someone who served in the US Army in the 80's the course you get in basic on the UCMJ (Uniform Code Of Military Justice,the law you live by in the US Military) goes into the rules of warfare in some detail. An order to deliberately kill non combatants is illegal. (There is a gray area about "collateral damage",but deliberately targeting non combatants is illegal).
and were those rules not in place before Vietnam as well? My point was simply that in any military there will be some that will obey an illegal order anyway. I have no doubt they are a small minority in the US military.

OTOH, Colonel is quite eager to see civilians targeted for the sin of being related to a terrorist. Would you trust someone with that mindset not to follow an illegal order? I sure as hell would not.
Old 20th June 2016, 02:02 PM   #323
lobosrul
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RogueKitten View Post
Y'all know what happened last time some turd bucket said "we got attacked by those people, lock them all up"? American citizens who were of Japanese descent (or looked Japanese) lost everything they owned and spent the duration of WWII in concentration camps.

American citizens. People who were born here, raised a family here, worked and owned a home and paid taxes. Rounded and treated like criminals because they kinda looked like the people who attacked Pearl Harbor.

Of course, our soldiers were also being killed by Germans, Italians, and Russians, but you can't identify them at a glace, so whatever.

Then we marched into Germany and criticsed them for interning Jews.

So let's learn from the past. Instead of repeating past mistakes, or perpetuating them Ie Afghanistan and Iraq and Syria and... Let's quit while we are ahead and start thinking instead of talking out our asses.

As for the idea that regular grunts were gathering gold in Iraq, all I saw them gathering was death certificates. A lot of men my husband served with died over there and I caution anyone who disrespects their service to think twice about what kind of person you think you are.
Getting through this thread and ahh wow... what?
First, yes we did indeed inter German and Italian's living in the USA. But not to the same scale. Why would we inter Russians during WW2? We were never at war with them. Not exactly allies either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...rman_Americans

Secondly, equating Japanese internment to the genocide perpetrated by Germany against Jews is grossly repugnant. There was no Jewish nation-state that attacked Germany, and we didn't try and exterminate the Japanese people, did we? We also didn't round up everyone who looked kinda sorta Japanese AFAIK, other east Asians were not interred.

Last edited by lobosrul; 20th June 2016 at 02:03 PM.
lobosrul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2016, 11:48 PM   #324
Maya22
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Maya22 View Post
Not typical, but still Trump supporters.
Quite scary!

@Ricky_Vaughn99

@Zorost88
!

Here is another white supremacist Trump supporter.

http://twitter.com/mrsamer1ca

She called me a cuck and an uninformed mutt. How original, lol.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2016, 07:34 AM   #325
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

From the West Point honor code:
Cadets violate the Honor Code by lying if they deliberately deceive another by stating an untruth or by any direct form of communication to include the telling of a partial truth and the vague or ambiguous use of information or language with the intent to deceive or mislead.
Paging Colonel to the red courtesy phone.
Old 23rd June 2016, 11:43 AM   #326
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I'm not sure whether this guy is Trump supporter or whether he's Trump's Veep running mate:

http://thesmokinggun.com/buster/ariz...r-rages-849031

(Quite a lot of NSFW language in it)
Old 24th June 2016, 04:43 AM   #327
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Paging Colonel to the red courtesy phone.
I strongly suspect first lie starts with his nick.
Old 24th June 2016, 06:38 AM   #328
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I'm not sure whether this guy is Trump supporter or whether he's Trump's Veep running mate:

http://thesmokinggun.com/buster/ariz...r-rages-849031

(Quite a lot of NSFW language in it)
I love him. I think one of the Hillary PACs should put his entire rant, unedited, into a commercial.

How much does the guy weigh? I know you're a boxing fan. Maybe he'd like to kick Juan Manuel Marquez' ass for us. I'd pay for the PPV.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2016, 06:58 AM   #329
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I love him. I think one of the Hillary PACs should put his entire rant, unedited, into a commercial.
That would be rather unfair. Candidates can control who comes into a rally but they cannot control who stands outside a rally yelling bigoted things.

Last edited by Ladewig; 24th June 2016 at 07:00 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2016, 07:32 AM   #330
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

That would be rather unfair. Candidates can control who comes into a rally but they cannot control who stands outside a rally yelling bigoted things.
You mean unfair like this thread? It'd be entertaining and it says to people who have fallen for the clowns in the GOP who are afraid to disown Trump, "See? This is the guy you're voting with." And it'd be hypocritical of me, since I'm enjoying all of this immensely, to say that I get to get my jollies laughing at their expense but no one else should.

Unless you're going to do a "thinking conservative" routine and claim that all these miscreants are anomalous, No True Trump Supporter, No True Conservative, false flags, etc....

Not to mention, of course, the obvious. Trump could defuse the possibility of that happening in a heartbeat. Disown the bigoted creep. I won't hold my breath.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 24th June 2016 at 07:33 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2016, 08:31 AM   #331
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Not to mention, of course, the obvious. Trump could defuse the possibility of that happening in a heartbeat. Disown the bigoted creep. I won't hold my breath.
The way I look at it, you're always going to get nutcase supporters no matter who you are, and if it's just one or two lone weirdos then a candidate shouldn't need to disown them. When they start becoming a common theme among your support and the opposition can point to several of them again and again, including a selected representative of yours...that'swhen you need to start distancing yourself.

Trump is at that stage and he's been silent.

They for example thought that slavery was perfectly fine, absolutely OK, and then they didn't and what is the point of the Catholic Church if it says "Oh we couldn't know better because no one else did" THEN WHAT ARE YOU FOR? - Stephen Fry
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2016, 08:41 AM   #332
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
The way I look at it, you're always going to get nutcase supporters no matter who you are, and if it's just one or two lone weirdos then a candidate shouldn't need to disown them. When they start becoming a common theme among your support and the opposition can point to several of them again and again, including a selected representative of yours...that'swhen you need to start distancing yourself.

Trump is at that stage and he's been silent.
There are just as many nutcase supporters on the Democrats' side, but for some reason I never hear any calls here or in the mainstream media for Democratic candidates to disown them. Well, there was that time that they called for Bernie to disown the Bernie Bros for attacking poor Hillary, but in that case the problem was the nutcases were attacking a Democrat.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2016, 09:20 AM   #333
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
There are just as many nutcase supporters on the Democrats' side, but for some reason I never hear any calls here or in the mainstream media for Democratic candidates to disown them. Well, there was that time that they called for Bernie to disown the Bernie Bros for attacking poor Hillary, but in that case the problem was the nutcases were attacking a Democrat.
Really? It seems that other members of the GOP... other than Trump and his apologists... have no problem calling out racists and dissociating themselves from them or at least their racist opinions. I seem to recall a certain Paul Ryan doing just that with Donald Trump. And I think that might give you a raging clue. Trump isn't calling out or shunning bigots, because:
A. He's a bigot?
B. He's willing to pander to them because he knows that faction is all he has left?

Do you recall Barry Goldwater telling the Klan to take their support elsewhere? Was that a different GOP? At least the man, for all his faulty political ideas, had a sense of decency.

You don't even like Trump. You just have to defend him with Tu Quoque arguments because he's the standard bearer [maybe pall bearer would be a better analogy] for the GOP.

Old 24th June 2016, 11:27 AM   #334
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

How much does the guy weigh? I know you're a boxing fan. Maybe he'd like to kick Juan Manuel Marquez' ass for us. I'd pay for the PPV.
Hard to pick his weight without his height, but he doesn't look short, so I think Marquez would be a bit on the little side.

Much as I despise UFC/MMA, I'd certainly pay to see him fight get pulverised by Mark Hunt.
Old 24th June 2016, 03:46 PM   #335
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

You mean unfair like this thread? It'd be entertaining and it says to people who have fallen for the clowns in the GOP who are afraid to disown Trump, "See? This is the guy you're voting with." And it'd be hypocritical of me, since I'm enjoying all of this immensely, to say that I get to get my jollies laughing at their expense but no one else should.

Unless you're going to do a "thinking conservative" routine and claim that all these miscreants are anomalous, No True Trump Supporter, No True Conservative, false flags, etc....

Look. No one hates Trump more than me. I am the very best at hating Trump. I even have a letter from my doctor saying that my health will never interfere with my hating Trump.

It is possible that Trump doesn't know that this guy and others like him are saying the things they are saying. I believe the technical term is low-information candidate. I am partially serious in making this claim. He really doesn't read newspapers and doesn't watch TV news channels. And he certainly doesn't visit websites where links to this video exist.
Old 24th June 2016, 06:19 PM   #336
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Look. No one hates Trump more than me. I am the very best at hating Trump. I even have a letter from my doctor saying that my health will never interfere with my hating Trump.

It is possible that Trump doesn't know that this guy and others like him are saying the things they are saying. I believe the technical term is low-information candidate. I am partially serious in making this claim. He really doesn't read newspapers and doesn't watch TV news channels. And he certainly doesn't visit websites where links to this video exist.
And he's Tommy? Deaf, dumb and blind? His handlers have instructions to take away all offensive signs and have supporters turn their **** Islam t-shirts turned inside out. He doesn't hear the White Power shouts from the audience? Wanted to speak out but was silenced by the Lord? Didn't know who David Duke was, except that he was lying about that.

He knows who his following is. The only question is whether he's one of them or pandering to them.

Old 25th June 2016, 03:45 AM   #337
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

And he's Tommy? Deaf, dumb and blind? His handlers have instructions to take away all offensive signs and have supporters turn their **** Islam t-shirts turned inside out. He doesn't hear the White Power shouts from the audience? Wanted to speak out but was silenced by the Lord? Didn't know who David Duke was, except that he was lying about that.

He knows who his following is. The only question is whether he's one of them or pandering to them.
This exchange seems relevant here:

Originally Posted by JoeB View Post
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Is there a difference between a racist and someone pretending to be a racist for gain? Either way you get the same thing.
I like Ken White of Popehat's answer to a related question, "If you are *********** goats ironically, you are still a goat****er
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2016, 09:43 AM   #338
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

COLONEL, I don't want my questions to be lost as thread progresses.

Originally Posted by COLONEL View Post
YES ! Wipe out the terrorist and their family and I guarantee people will stop messing with the US once they learn of the consequences. By the way Trump collected and gave money to us veterans and our Veterans groups what has obama or hillary done for us vets.
[coloring SIC]
First, thanks for your service. I am 4-F on three different counts, so I never had the opportunity to serve.

Quick questions
(1) If you were in the front lines killing the enemy, and the enemy discovered your name and snuck someone into the United States who went on to kill your wife and children, would that break your spirit and cause you to stop fighting?

(2) if your answer is no, then why do you find it so hard to believe that people of different cultures might have the same reaction as you do? If your answer was yes, then I can understand your support of Trump's planned war crimes. That is the right legal and military term, isn't it? The deliberate targeting of specific unarmed civilians who are not involved in any wartime activities.

(3) are you really so petty that you refuse to capitalize President Obama's name?

(4) If you sincerely believe that Barrack H. Obama took office even though he was in violation of federal law related to presidential eligibility, would you please, please, please admit it. I have always wanted to meet someone who unashamedly holds that viewpoint.

ETA
I went looking for the exact section of the UCMJ that outlaws deliberately killing civilians and didn't find it. I did however find the section that outlaws dueling and challenging people to duels (Art 114). And I learned that it is a court-martial offense for commissioned officers "to utter contemptuous words against the president of the United States" (Art 88).

MORE ETA
@Foolmewunz. I withdraw all previous assertions.

Last edited by Ladewig; 29th June 2016 at 10:06 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2016, 04:39 PM   #339
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Arrow For single Trump supporters

Found this today.

Donald Trump Dating Site

http://time.com/4388138/donald-trump...s-dating-site/

Quote:
Swipe Trump for love

The dating scene can be brutal, full of dashed hopes, rejections and left swipes. But David Goss thinks sometimes it can be especially difficult to find a love match if you’re a Donald Trump fan.

“Trump supporters definitely get a much worse rap than everybody else,” he told TIME.
Trump supporters can find it hard to make love matches.

Quote:
“It’s just a way for us to put out there that you’re not alone as a Trump supporter,” Goss said of the site. “That there are other people out there like you, there are people that are single, that want to date and that want to have a happy relationship without politics getting in the way and destroying it.”
People that are single? That's oddly naive to me.

He says his subscriptions ($5 a month) have gone from about 500 to 10,000.

I think Donald Trump would love this idea.
Old 1st July 2016, 10:33 AM   #340
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Donald supporter asks Donald to replace Muslims with military vets in the TSA.

Quote:
"Why aren't we putting our retiree, our military retirees on that border or in TSA, get rid of all these 'hibby-jobbies' they wear at TSA -- I've seen them myself?" Cathy Chevalier of Hudson, New Hampshire asked Trump, referring to the head coverings worn by some Muslim women.

After the event, Chevalier recounted the incident that led her to ask the question saying, "I went through the Philadelphia airport and there was one of the TSA checking us with full hijab on." Shaking her head, she went on, "I'm a military wife, have been my whole adult life, I'm a Marine Corps wife, mother, grandmother. I don't feel safe with that."
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2016, 03:29 PM   #341
applecorped
Banned

applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 04:58 AM   #342
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Do you suppose that using words would better convey whatever you desire to express?

I think that words are good. I think that we developed words when pictures (even rolling eyes pictures) no longer seemed quite expressive enough. I think that words are a good way to express oneself. Give it a try!

ASIDE: If I ran this forum, there would be no goddamn emojis. Grownups speak or write. They don't use cartoon characters to express their damned selves.

Decent folk can write well enough so that their intention is clear from their words, and other decent folk can see that intention.

Last edited by phiwum; 2nd July 2016 at 05:00 AM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:00 AM   #343
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

and Trump puts out a tweet with the phrase "Most corrupt Candidate Ever!" that just happened to be in a Star of David. Yeah, I am sure that wasn't designed to appeal to the anti-Semites among his supporters. Just an amazing coincidence.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/trum...of-david-post/
Old 2nd July 2016, 12:08 PM   #344
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Myron Proudfoot View Post
and Trump puts out a tweet with the phrase "Most corrupt Candidate Ever!" that just happened to be in a Star of David. Yeah, I am sure that wasn't designed to appeal to the anti-Semites among his supporters. Just an amazing coincidence.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/trum...of-david-post/
I'd be prepared to allow it being a mistake by some idiot graphics producer who didn't realise what that shape is - it's even a shape in MS Paint.

Jew-haters already vote Trump and there would be no advantage or point in making such a blatant statement.

Occam's Razor calls cock-up on this one.
Old 2nd July 2016, 12:19 PM   #345
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'd be prepared to allow it being a mistake by some idiot graphics producer who didn't realise what that shape is - it's even a shape in MS Paint.

Jew-haters already vote Trump and there would be no advantage or point in making such a blatant statement.

Well, this is politics. I can't imagine why you wouldn't get political mileage out of it.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 12:22 PM   #346
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I'd become a Muslim and TSA employee if I thought this might happen. When the legal dust settled, you'd never have to work again.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 05:15 PM   #347
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

Maybe. I would normally agree, but the Star of David over a pile of money? In a campaign already endorsed by people like David Duke? And given the instances of truly vile anti-Semitic attacks by Trump's supporters on reporters who have written articles about The Donald, I think the "accidental cockup" idea isn't as likely as the "anti-Semitic dogwhistle foghorn"
Old 3rd July 2016, 02:27 PM   #348
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

And it turns out that the Hillary/Star of David/Pile Of Money meme came from (drum roll please) a white supremacist/anti-Semitic part of 4Chan and tweets by a neoNazi. So much for "oops, some intern picked the wrong shape by mistake" idea.

https://mic.com/articles/147711/dona...sts#.4d8cyQi0J

And yes, it was posted on those sites BEFORE the Trumpster used it.
Old 4th July 2016, 05:54 AM   #349
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myron Proudfoot View Post
And it turns out that the Hillary/Star of David/Pile Of Money meme came from (drum roll please) a white supremacist/anti-Semitic part of 4Chan and tweets by a neoNazi. So much for "oops, some intern picked the wrong shape by mistake" idea.

https://mic.com/articles/147711/dona...sts#.4d8cyQi0J

And yes, it was posted on those sites BEFORE the Trumpster used it.
Does anyone in the Trump camp know that Florida is a swing state with 29 electoral votes and that upper middle class Jews come here to die? While they're waiting, they vote and make contributions to campaigns.
Old 5th July 2016, 09:48 PM   #350
carlvs
Critical Thinker

Deleted

Last edited by carlvs; 5th July 2016 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Double Post
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2016, 09:49 PM   #351
carlvs
Critical Thinker

Returning to the main subject of this thread, I just heard on my local news this story on how a Trump supporter made the small town of Sheridan, Indiana 4th of July parade just that little bit special...

Quote:
"Don Christy, 73, of Sheridan, drove a golf cart in the parade displaying Trump signs as well as Obama in a toilet. There was also a sign that said 'Lying African.'

"People at the parade took pictures of the float, and it quickly spread on social media. Many people are calling the float 'hateful' and “racist.

"But Christy says he’s done nothing wrong and he has a right to his own opinion."

I especially like the "explanation" as to why there was nothing wrong with his "float":

Quote:
"Christy calls himself “not politically correct” and “old school,” and he says he is not racist.

"'What is racist about it? What was racist? He (Obama) is an African, right?' said Christy."
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2016, 09:55 PM   #352
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Does anyone in the Trump camp know that Florida is a swing state with 29 electoral votes and that upper middle class Jews come here to die? While they're waiting, they vote and make contributions to campaigns.
According to the state and SCOTUS, they voted for nazi apologist Buchanan in 2000.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 5th July 2016, 10:42 PM   #353
Jrrarglblarg

I've met two actual Trump supporters in the wild, a friend of my mom and her son. Paula joined the Mormon church voluntarily as an adult, not following a lover into it or anything. Her son came by moms hous the other while walking the dog and asked apropos to nothing if I had heard of "those FEMA camps, they'll be locking up the Christians .... " and mumbled something about YouTube.

"I need to go to the bathroom," I said, and didn't return until he'd left.

I can only imagine every Trump supporter is this gullible. It's the only explanation.

Last edited by Jrrarglblarg; 5th July 2016 at 10:44 PM.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2016, 08:41 AM   #354
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlvs View Post
Quote:
"Christy calls himself “not politically correct” and “old school,” and he says he is not racist"
Phrase "I am politically incorrect" is in itself politically correct. After all, it sounds way, way better than, for example, "I am hateful bigoted violent neo-nazi mysoginist from 4chan". Irony is delicious.
Old 22nd August 2016, 02:30 AM   #356
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Is COLONEL coming back to this thread?

I was hoping he would answer my questions in post #338. They are serious questions. I look at the once-we-kill-mothers-and-wives-and-siblings-and-children-then-they-will-stop argument and am amazed that anyone thinks it is practical, useful, or moral in any way. I want to know what those advocating such a position believe.

COLONEL, if you don't want to answer those questions, would you consider explaining why you don't want to. If you don't want to do it publicly, you can PM me; I will respect your confidence.

COLONEL?

Last edited by Ladewig; 22nd August 2016 at 02:34 AM.
Old 22nd August 2016, 10:45 PM   #357
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Well, these don't qualify so much as "supporters" but "staffers". And I'd say that staff should probably be indicative of the supporters; they're the best supporters; really yuge supporters.

Seems that the AP has been delving into the on-line personae of Trump staffers..... (and Clinton staffers).

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...nap-story.html

Sadly, this is so par for the course that I doubt this will get much coverage. One of the staffers even mentioned that they were hired because they were all that was left out there in the campaigning employment pool. The campaign equivalent of the kid who was always the last one remaining when we chose-up our dodgeball teams.

Old 23rd August 2016, 11:04 PM   #358
fuelair
Banned

Really? It seems that other members of the GOP... other than Trump and his apologists... have no problem calling out racists and dissociating themselves from them or at least their racist opinions. I seem to recall a certain Paul Ryan doing just that with Donald Trump. And I think that might give you a raging clue. Trump isn't calling out or shunning bigots, because:
A. He's a bigot?
B. He's willing to pander to them because he knows that faction is all he has left?

Do you recall Barry Goldwater telling the Klan to take their support elsewhere? Was that a different GOP? At least the man, for all his faulty political ideas, had a sense of decency.

You don't even like Trump. You just have to defend him with Tu Quoque arguments because he's the standard bearer [maybe pall bearer would be a better analogy] for the GOP.
Actually, yes, that was a different GOP. Then they were Republicans - I certainly did not vote for them, but neither did I feel compelled to speak of them as I speak of those since ca. 1980, The batch since then I refer to as republickers for several reasons -all of which I have covered a number of times - and basically they are not even worthy of cleaning the butts of the Republicans and they are definitely not real Republicans - just evil thugs doing their level best to destroy this country!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2016, 06:59 AM   #359
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Actually, yes, that was a different GOP. Then they were Republicans - I certainly did not vote for them, but neither did I feel compelled to speak of them as I speak of those since ca. 1980, The batch since then I refer to as republickers for several reasons -all of which I have covered a number of times - and basically they are not even worthy of cleaning the butts of the Republicans and they are definitely not real Republicans - just evil thugs doing their level best to destroy this country!!!!!
You can't seriously believe this.

This attitude is no better when directed against Republicans than Democrats. Hillary Clinton is not evil, Barack Obama did not intend to harm the U.S. and the current GOP aims only to better the U.S., although they may have very different notions of how to achieve that. For the most part, politicians are more or less decent and our disagreements are merely political.

(The one exception: decent men who are not entirely addleheaded should not support Trump no matter what political advantage they calculate.)
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2016, 07:57 AM   #360
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
You can't seriously believe this.

This attitude is no better when directed against Republicans than Democrats. Hillary Clinton is not evil, Barack Obama did not intend to harm the U.S. and the current GOP aims only to better the U.S., although they may have very different notions of how to achieve that. For the most part, politicians are more or less decent and our disagreements are merely political.

(The one exception: decent men who are not entirely addleheaded should not support Trump no matter what political advantage they calculate.)
Isn't the issue about what someone considers "better"? Can't you talk about the morality of those goals? For instance repealing" Obamacare" or in other words removing medical treatment for millions of USA citizens?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics